Home The Bridge

Gauntlet Walls

I know about a thousand threads have been started on the walls of characters in Gauntlet. But this one really irked me and so I felt the need to share. A wall of Mirror Picards AND (this is the really ridiculous part) they are all worth only 10 gauntlet points.

trdk1otbaxxf.png
myh939ng5d7o.png
Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Comments

• Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) All 10 pointers from 22nd is rough and really shouldn't happen. From the t5, it is a lot more expected

2) At least he isn't 25%+. Welcome to the new reality of gauntlet. They released a powerful character available to most all players. Until people replace him with someone better (Kahless, provided he isn't at a trait disadvantage), this will continue to happen.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had that happen a few days ago but with Mirror Phlox. The frustrating thing was that I keep getting MED in various skill combinations even when SCI (or was it SEC?) was the featured skill.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had three walls of Mirror Picards in a row. I am so tired of seeing that.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Mirror Picard wall really killed the usefulness of my Kahless.
    Let’s fly!
  • Yes Mirror Picard wall really killed the usefulness of my Kahless.

With neither having a bonus, Kahless can take down a wall of picards.
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    [VA] NATE wrote: »

With neither having a bonus, Kahless can take down a wall of picards.

The problem is that Picard has so many useful traits that he often has the advantage over Kahless. He has the second highest com/sec combo and one of the highest com/sci combos, even with almost no sci.

I'm sick of seeing Picard though. I don't see Mirror Phlox walls often anymore.
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never had this problem until recently, now it is happening every day. The variance needs to be increased. I also think that the first opponent slot should have a minimum of 50-100 points.
  • Welcome to my world. Well, everyone's world. There is a lack of decent Gauntlet crew so everyone uses the same ones. And the algorithms **tsk tsk** so you nearly always get the same pick. Really, it should be random but it's not. The Gauntlet is one of the most frustrating aspects of the game imo. I play it for Guinan (1/5) but very soon she'll be gone so I'll be playing for whoever she is replaced by.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to my world. Well, everyone's world. There is a lack of decent Gauntlet crew so everyone uses the same ones. And the algorithms *left-handed Duck-Billed Platypus* so you nearly always get the same pick. Really, it should be random but it's not. The Gauntlet is one of the most frustrating aspects of the game imo. I play it for Guinan (1/5) but very soon she'll be gone so I'll be playing for whoever she is replaced by.

Same here. I play it to try and get more Guinan’s. But they got me committed to it cuz I never got a Locutus so I’m after that 20,000 rounds. If I don’t care for the new crew that replaces her I’m going strictly for all the rounds I can to get to 20,000.
  • ^^ 's u c k' is such a nasty word don't you think?

This text replacer *hugs* balls
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picard ceartantly has broken the gauntlet, and he kind of devalues Khaless, If I could get my 100,000 honour back, I probably would.

DB have a good knack of breaking the game by short sighted crew decisions, and not fully understanding the mechanics of their own game.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • 1) All 10 pointers from 22nd is rough and really shouldn't happen. From the t5, it is a lot more expected

2) At least he isn't 25%+. Welcome to the new reality of gauntlet. They released a powerful character available to most all players. Until people replace him with someone better (Kahless, provided he isn't at a trait disadvantage), this will continue to happen.

The 10 points a piece from 22nd is the big annoyance here. I get it from 5th or higher, but not 22nd.
    I had that happen a few days ago but with Mirror Phlox. The frustrating thing was that I keep getting MED in various skill combinations even when SCI (or was it SEC?) was the featured skill.

It's purely anecdotal, but I find that MED comes up more often no matter what the featured skill is.

I still use Kahless almost every gauntlet but he's definitely not the beast he once was.
    I never had this problem until recently, now it is happening every day. The variance needs to be increased. I also think that the first opponent slot should have a minimum of 50-100 points.

In addition I don't think the 10 pointers should have a skill above 300. The ones that are worth more points should be harder, but there should always be a scale.
    PM for details.

• ^^ 's u c k' is such a nasty word don't you think?

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    PM for details.

Jim Steele wrote: »
    Picard ceartantly has broken the gauntlet, and he kind of devalues Khaless, If I could get my 100,000 honour back, I probably would.

DB have a good knack of breaking the game by short sighted crew decisions, and not fully understanding the mechanics of their own game.

Jim

I think "broken" is very relative in this case. I imagine people who had T'Kuvma (or worse) holding down the CMD slot appreciate being a little more competitive.
  • Yes, that picard ensures that i will save ny 100k honor for the next character, *not* kahless... way to go DB...
  • eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    As an avid gauntlet player, I've found that the influx of Mirror Picards hasn't had much of a negative impact on my play.

If I know all of my opponents are bringing Mirror Picard I can either a) bring a character that has an advantage over Picard (Khaless or a slew of other CMD/DIP/SEC characters at 25 percent) or b) forgo the combination and bring a character with a more neglected skill combination, thus picking up more gauntlet victories elsewhere. In fact, the more I can predict who my opponents will bring, I find the better I am able to strategize.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
    As an avid gauntlet player, I've found that the influx of Mirror Picards hasn't had much of a negative impact on my play.

If I know all of my opponents are bringing Mirror Picard I can either a) bring a character that has an advantage over Picard (Khaless or a slew of other CMD/DIP/SEC characters at 25 percent) or b) forgo the combination and bring a character with a more neglected combination, thus picking up more gauntlet victories elsewhere. In fact, the more I can predict who my opponents will bring, I find the better I am able to strategize.

The existence of an actual gauntlet metagame is a sign of a maturing environment. I agree, it definitely makes for some interesting decisions sometimes.
  • GAWAGAWA ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I only have Katless at 1/5 but he makes it onto my Voyage crew sometimes, particularly if I'm saving some of the other big hitters for missions.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ 's u c k' is such a nasty word don't you think?

I suppose it is crude, at least. I use the word too, but perhaps replacing it isn't so bad. I find it ironic that our British and Canadian friends get away with "bugger" when that is at least as crude and probably more. Oh, well.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ 's u c k' is such a nasty word don't you think?

I suppose it is crude, at least. I use the word too, but perhaps replacing it isn't so bad. I find it ironic that our British and Canadian friends get away with "bugger" when that is at least as crude and probably more. Oh, well.

Bugger that... you can use sux instead...
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hungry Dog wrote: »
    I still use Kahless almost every gauntlet but he's definitely not the beast he once was.

I prefer it this way. Personally I have a choice between Kahless, Picard and Damar. Picard is the least useful of the three but it still all boils down to traits. In my current Gauntlet my CMD character is Delta Paris. Not the best CMD character but he has a matching trait and the primary gauntlet stat is MED. Its sort of working.

I think the bigger problem with the Gauntlet is that not all stats are well-represented. MED, CMD and DIP have some good variety. SCI is ok. SEC is kinda weak and ENG is pretty poor. Captain Scott is still the best ENG roll and he's only single stat.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Definitely need better Eng options. Gangster Spock isn't terrible for SEC.
    PM for details.

Definitely need better Eng options. Gangster Spock isn't terrible for SEC.

Isnt terrible? He is one of the best gauntlet characters in the game right now...
  • Hungry Dog wrote: »

It's purely anecdotal, but I find that MED comes up more often no matter what the featured skill is.

I completely agree. Another anecdotal observation: if you use a 2nd med crew, MED does not come up nearly as often as when you only have one MED crew.
  • Maybe fighting anyone in the top 15 should reward a minimum of 100points, top 10: 120 points and top 5: 150. Aside from that, it’s a game. Chill and accept
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely need better Eng options. Gangster Spock isn't terrible for SEC.

There are two "good" SEC characters. Spock is a really good double threat. Disguised Kira has a good SEC roll but her other stat is junk. She barely makes the top 10 in her only pair.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • TcalTcal ✭✭✭
    Yeah. The wall of peccards are relentless. When it's a CMD gauntlet I either skip or just play and not use merits.
  • Hungry Dog wrote: »
    I know about a thousand threads have been started on the walls of characters in Gauntlet. But this one really irked me and so I felt the need to share. A wall of Mirror Picards AND (this is the really ridiculous part) they are all worth only 10 gauntlet points.

trdk1otbaxxf.png
    myh939ng5d7o.png

I usually find Mirror Picard or Locutus of Borg, or Bartender Guinan or Mirror Phlox's walls!
  • (OPA) Major Herps(OPA) Major Herps ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ah... I remember on the forums back when mirror Picards stats where released, many said we would never see ‘walls off Mirror Picards’ happen like with Mirror Phlox, Locutus, Guinan etc...

Here’s the link to see: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/2085/is-picard-going-to-dominate-the-gauntlet/p1

And as others have said, yes he does devalue Kahless. If it’s Kahless vs Mirror Picard and both have 5% crit, you know situations like this are going to happen:

oa0qucdfg89q.png

My Kahless wasn’t fatigued btw.

I don’t think any powerhouse gauntlet crew should be given as a free reward (Mirror Picard) or as a threshold reward (Mirror Phlox), it just exasperates the gauntlet walls every time.
    Ah... I remember on the forums back when mirror Picards stats where released, many said we would never see ‘walls off Mirror Picards’ happen like with Mirror Phlox, Locutus, Guinan etc...

Here’s the link to see: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/2085/is-picard-going-to-dominate-the-gauntlet/p1

And as others have said, yes he does devalue Kahless. If it’s Kahless vs Mirror Picard and both have 5% crit, you know situations like this are going to happen:

oa0qucdfg89q.png

My Kahless wasn’t fatigued btw.

I don’t think any powerhouse gauntlet crew should be given as a free reward (Mirror Picard) or as a threshold reward (Mirror Phlox), it just exasperates the gauntlet walls every time.

Here's what I said in that thread:
    Mirror Picard's closest analog in terms of his stat allocation is probably Valeris (cmd/sec/sci). In that way, he is filling a bit of a hole in the available characters.

I see TKuvma a LOT in gauntlet, despite him having a relatively low rank (68th overall, absent any weighting on traits). I havent added Mirror Picard to my list (vacation makes these things hard, so I'm just waiting until I am home) but I would expect anyone who has been using Tkuvma to replace him with Picard in their lineups as he will probably just be a superior choice.

Across "top" performers, however, I doubt the impact will be huge. Kahless would still be preferred in a high CMD role. Personally, I typically run Kahless, Locutus, Mirror Phlox, Gangster Spock and Assimilated La Forge. Those end up covering all of Picards rolls nicely, while providing some good rolls themselves.

Seven of Nine and the new Defensive Phlox would also be preferable.

Basically, I think Mirror Picard has stats that are extremely well situated for players trying to climb the gauntlet ladder. He will be a good upgrade to anyone running Tkuvma and he might be able to create some mismatches because his skill combination isn't too common."

Honestly, that seems pretty close to what I've observed. Many upgraded their CMD slot, which has made gauntlet much more competitive (IMO, this is a good thing, but I recognize some dislike that they aren't getting as many easy wins).

Most of the time, I prefer to use Kahless. However, Picard being at 25% frequently has made for some tough choices. I'm all about this game having tough, meaningful choices.

In regards to Picard beating Kahless: given the same crit rating, Kahless only holds about a 2:1 edge on Picard in a straight-up CMD matchup. Picard WILL win a good share of the matches because their stats just aren't too far apart. Kahless is still the better choice (given equal traits), but he's a lot less invincible than he was some months ago.