Home The Bridge

Should issues in actors personal lives preclude having their character brought into Timelines?

PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in The Bridge
We've had some situations like investigations of Stephen Collins and an accusation against George Takei, should those prevent bringing those characters (or more variants of those characters) into Timelines?

Should issues in actors personal lives preclude having their character brought into Timelines? 212 votes

Yes
1%
Plasma(OPA) Major HerpsSST - 9of7Spock-O 4 votes
No
62%
Warrior WillosorinevAmphistaffZ•A•P•P ©™[KM]VidemThe FishCaptainUnderpantsCaptain TFSSR BarkleyWaldoMagCaptain DurfFor Cardassia[SSR] The Iron CowXoiikuZombie Squirrel RocpileMordackBardezMagisse[DB:Do Better] More Tranya! 133 votes
Case by Case
33%
Rabb[7TW] Poots[RotP]Ran AirenPeachtree RexCaptain_Who/SSR/ Captain S'logSabine of AthensClone[NDQ] Joker41NAM[GoT] jess-gayDpmtProsserData1001V.Captain LostCaptain Sisko [AA]Travis S McClainIvanstoneKaitee[TUFG] Doctor X 71 votes
I have No Opinion on the Matter
1%
nomadishgregorytbkbroilerBobLoblaw 4 votes

Comments

• No
    No, unless they are thinking of making Stephen Collins and George Takei into cards themselves. Captain Decker and Captain Sulu didn't do anything.... Not to mention accusations are nothing until proven. Even if they are proven it shouldn't have anything to do with the game. People need to separate reality from fiction and stop being so overly sensitive.

PS> Captain Decker is long overdue....
  • Since when did our society go back to innocent until proven guilty?
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I've been pondering this for a while, mostly due to some responses I've seen in other posts -- were the ones stating caution representative of forum goers at large or simply in the minority but just the ones who spoke up.....
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don't want to know anything about the actors personal lives. I only care about the characters.
  • Cal.me.IshmalCal.me.Ishmal ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tyler ash committed murder as his character , caught on camera as he broke Culber’s neck. I wouldn’t dream of anyone one banning the card for what the character did, I sure wouldn’t want anyone banning a card for what the real life actor (may or may not) have done.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    [VA] NATE wrote: »
    Since when did our society go back to innocent until proven guilty?

That's for the courts.

The bottom line is, regardless of whether it should happen, companies will distance themselves from people surrounded by controversy. The court of public opinion practices guilty until proven innocent, and guilt by association.
  • Case by Case
    Voted case by case.

Someone who comes to mind as a card I would never want in the game due to the actor is EMH mark 2 as played by Andy Dick. He's just an all-around scumbag and one of the worst people in Hollywood. Look up his record if you are curious.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    If this were to be the case Kes would not have been added to the game surely. Characters are characters and should be considered purely on that merit alone IMO.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Tyler ash committed murder as his character , caught on camera as he broke Culber’s neck. I wouldn’t dream of anyone one banning the card for what the character did, I sure wouldn’t want anyone banning a card for what the real life actor (may or may not) have done.

Spoiler tags are wonderful things, if only this forum would allow us to use them.
  • No
    Tyler ash committed murder as his character , caught on camera as he broke Culber’s neck. I wouldn’t dream of anyone one banning the card for what the character did, I sure wouldn’t want anyone banning a card for what the real life actor (may or may not) have done.

A hate crime, no less
    Perception is the thin dividing line between reality and fiction

Immortalized crew count:
    27×1★; 53×2★; 78×3★; 196×4★; 87×5★
  • [VA] NATE wrote: »

Spoiler tags are wonderful things, if only this forum would allow us to use them.

Im sorry, I edited my post to include the spoiler.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Passive aggressive and sarcastic much? Here you go...
    Technically not murder as he’s VOQ-Ash, and The Klingons are at war with the Federation so at most a war crime. But given Culber is Starfleet, even by our standards, he’s military personal (athough he’s a doctor) on an enemy ship and should be considered an enemy combatant. I’m sure the Klingons won’t bother with a human distinction of war crimes though although they may have their own standards on who is fair game... given what they did to the 80,000 people on Starbase 1, including civilians, I’m assuming that definition is pretty loose. If we assume he is just a brainwashed Ash with dual personalities, then of course he is clearly clinically insane and also not responsible.
    No

Im sorry, I edited my post to include the spoiler.

Lol... but the quotes of your not spoiler tagging don’t have spoiler tags...
  • Passive-aggressiveness, as the word indicates, is a tendency to engage in indirect expression of hostility through acts such as subtle insults, sullen behavior, stubbornness, or a deliberate failure to accomplish required tasks.
    Me? Lol, very much.
    No
    Passive-aggressiveness, as the word indicates, is a tendency to engage in indirect expression of hostility through acts such as subtle insults, sullen behavior, stubbornness, or a deliberate failure to accomplish required tasks.
    Me? Lol, very much.

😝😝😝 hey it wasn’t directed at me but boy did it ooze sarcasm from every orifice. Jonathan Swift would be proud...
  • I believe it doesn't matter whether DB or us want certain characters to be in the game, the characters are the likenesses of certain people, and if alive, they have the final say on whether to release their likeness to the game, regardless of their "personal lives". If they are no longer alive, the studio may have the rights to their likeness and may have final say themselves in either case.

It is strictly a legal thing.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • No
    Voted "No". Kirstie Alley is a Scientologist. Jennifer Lien has well documented issues. Dwight Shultz is a raging right-wing misogynist but... that's the actors, not the characters.

I personally airlock the cards for those characters automatically (except for Kess because Lien is deserving of sympathy and help) but that's my choice. I don't feel that the conduct and/or beliefs of the actors should impact the inclusion of the characters they portrayed.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Case by Case
    I believe it doesn't matter whether DB or us want certain characters to be in the game, the characters are the likenesses of certain people, and if alive, they have the final say on whether to release their likeness to the game, regardless of their "personal lives". If they are no longer alive, the studio may have the rights to their likeness and may have final say themselves in either case.

It is strictly a legal thing.

You're missing the point a bit. Of course the actors have a say in how their likeness is used. DB also has the choice of whether or not to include a character. The question is, when DB is evaluating whether or not to add a character, should they consider current "issues" related to the actor who portrayed that character.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Barclay is an awesome character. I would never airlock him because the actor doesn't share my view on politics, but that's just my opinion.
  • No
    Grant77 wrote: »
    Barclay is an awesome character. I would never airlock him because the actor doesn't share my view on politics, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, Barclay is. Too bad the actor isn't as good a person. And in his case, it's more than his political views. But again, it's all personal choice as to whether we keep cards or not.
  • Case by Case
    It's relevant that the 'rights' to create cards usually involve payments to the actor in question.

I could care less about an actor's personal opinions or personal life. If it crosses into convicted criminal behavior and victims it crosses a line. Even then if the funds are going to victim restitution I'll go for it.
  • I am having trouble finding on the internet as to how dwight schultz is a bad person.
  • Case by Case
    Political or religious affiliations shouldn't have impact. Criminal (non-white collar) issues that impact another person should. I don't care if XYZ actor embezzled some money or did some drugs, but if that actor killed or **tsk tsk** someone, their card shouldn't be in the game.

This doesn't mean cards should be removed is someone commits a crime tomorrow, but if some guest star committed a horrible crime after their ST appearance but before this game came out, I think we can safely exclude them.
  • Avowed-that has been asserted, admitted, or stated publicly.

Hmmm...saying someone is bad because of their political views, that doesn't sound like Nazi Germany.
This discussion has been closed.