Home The Bridge

Remaining Star Trek Discovery Crew Members

eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in The Bridge
With the announcement of a yet another Michael Burnham, I'm curious which remaining Star Trek Discovery bridge crew member would you like to see next?
Proud member of eXodus
Join the eXo|plosion today!

Remaining Star Trek Discovery Crew Members 78 votes

Keyla Detmer
57%
SixDifferentWaysAmphistaffSabine of AthensCaptain DurfFor CardassiaData1001Zombie Squirrel RocpileTravis S McClain[TFA] CeleresJim RaynoreXo | Cadet Matt[10F] Captain LerysheXo | SilverRose (retired)Grant77General McDuckGrumpfer[DB - Do Better]   ProwlerIrialMidspeed 45 votes
Airiam
15%
MikewastakenAstrometricsAviTrekNad HalKaiteeAlthea Biermont[PAaA] Peanut3141Gordon FreemanDrone_one(HGH)ApolloEtiennekapu 12 votes
Joann Owosekun
7%
[DB: Do comBs] KilanaShran Wrap(10F)GeekgirlNeemscaptain_yarShy Khan 6 votes
Rhys
2%
ADM Fletcher [ET]Commodore Sulu 2 votes
Other Discovery Crew Member (see comments)
16%
/SSR/ Captain S'logPallidyneCommander Sinclair[SJ] Admiral Aki[BL] Q kobaBanjo1012bowdyThe Great Gornholio[FF] Frylock IBOL17TP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)SiblinCapt. Pete Owen 13 votes

Comments

• [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Landry gets my vote :)
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None!

• Keyla Detmer
    [BL] Q wrote: »

Yeah, probably an oversight on my part not to include her.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Keyla Detmer
    From a game play perspective, I know Airiam would be a fantastic cadet, eligible for all three MWF, or both weekend, depending on her rarity. But I haven't gotten enough of a feel for her to become particularly invested, whereas I do feel like I've gotten to know enough about Detmer that I would be excited to add her to my crew, even knowing she's almost certainly going to be CMD/SEC/DIP or some combination thereof that I don't really need.
  • Other Discovery Crew Member (see comments)
    Gimme a Discovery era Captain Pike! :)
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyla Detmer
    Detmer. She's gotten the most on-screen personality so far.

I'd like Airiam to be explained/explored a bit more because we've never seen an alien like her before (aside from the borg maybe, or the binars), but sadly she seems to just be plopped in there like "look at this cool cyborg alien" without any explanation or exploration into her character (which could theoretically be pretty interesting).
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Keyla Detmer

I'd like Airiam to be explained/explored a bit more because we've never seen an alien like her before (aside from the borg maybe, or the binars), but sadly she seems to just be plopped in there like "look at this cool cyborg alien" without any explanation or exploration into her character (which could theoretically be pretty interesting).

I wholeheartedly agree that so far, Airiam has had entirely too little screen time. I didn't even know her name until several episodes into the season, when I finally Googled her. I'm only cognizant of her name having been spoken onscreen maybe twice, and one of them was last week. I'm totally down for seeing her be developed.

That said, I also kinda do appreciate that there hasn't been any conspicuous origin story for what kind of being she is. It's been almost refreshing that Airiam has so far been just another crew member. I think that speaks to the core message of inclusion, that we haven't had any stories gawking about what she is or where she came from, etc. We don't know anything about her, but the characters presumably do, and that's good enough for me. It allows Airiam to be a quiet bridge crew member and not an ambassador for her entire race the way Spock, Data, Worf, and Odo often were.
  • Airiam
    Airiam has the most interesting art asset, if the artist manages to... reproduce her likeness (which, we know, is hit or miss).

That said, any in this list (and Landry) would be welcome in my crew.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either the girl with the headgear implant, or the Human "Borgish" girl......

Scott

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyla Detmer

I wholeheartedly agree that so far, Airiam has had entirely too little screen time. I didn't even know her name until several episodes into the season, when I finally Googled her. I'm only cognizant of her name having been spoken onscreen maybe twice, and one of them was last week. I'm totally down for seeing her be developed.

That said, I also kinda do appreciate that there hasn't been any conspicuous origin story for what kind of being she is. It's been almost refreshing that Airiam has so far been just another crew member. I think that speaks to the core message of inclusion, that we haven't had any stories gawking about what she is or where she came from, etc. We don't know anything about her, but the characters presumably do, and that's good enough for me. It allows Airiam to be a quiet bridge crew member and not an ambassador for her entire race the way Spock, Data, Worf, and Odo often were.

I agree that it's refreshing to not have "oh my god look at this alien character being all alien-y" stuff in regards to Airiam, but I do feel that, like Saru, she is could presumably have a more unique perspective on certain things, if she were allowed more space and character development. And part of Star Trek has always been an exploration of humanity through the more alien characters, but not in a "gawking" way and more of a "they seem so different but actually they're not" kind of way.

Basically, right now she seems like an interesting character concept/design that is being neglected, and DSC is in dire need of more engaging characters (Burnham is already character concept that IMO has been wasted).
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Landry... seeing she fits the STT Discovery character profile so well...
    Being dead and all... in fact being dead TWICE !!!
    None.

If I have to google these names, then they are not established enough to warrant a card. Particularly when we have other characters from other series who are long overdue an appearance in Timelines.

There may be a time when these Discovery characters come into their own and grow in character. That will be when they deserve a card.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    None.

If I have to google these names, then they are not established enough to warrant a card. Particularly when we have other characters from other series who are long overdue an appearance in Timelines.

There may be a time when these Discovery characters come into their own and grow in character. That will be when they deserve a card.

{Cadet Tilly waves "Hello"......}

Scott

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Keyla Detmer

I agree that it's refreshing to not have "oh my god look at this alien character being all alien-y" stuff in regards to Airiam, but I do feel that, like Saru, she is could presumably have a more unique perspective on certain things, if she were allowed more space and character development. And part of Star Trek has always been an exploration of humanity through the more alien characters, but not in a "gawking" way and more of a "they seem so different but actually they're not" kind of way.

Basically, right now she seems like an interesting character concept/design that is being neglected, and DSC is in dire need of more engaging characters (Burnham is already character concept that IMO has been wasted).

As I said, I'm totally with you on wanting her to go from background to being an actual character. Same goes for the other bridge personnel. With the main cast, I feel they've done a remarkable job in short time establishing a specific voice for each character, and also for their relationships with one another. It'd be nice to see them expand that to include the support staff.

I will also note that I think without making much about it, they've done some important stuff with Detmer throughout this season. Who would have guessed that the scornful woman Burnham encountered aboard the Discovery would have followed Tilly's lead in last week's episode? (Ambiguously written so as not to spoil anything.)
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyla Detmer
    Keyla, either with or without that freaky headgear.
  • Keyla Detmer
    No love for communications officer Bryce?
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyla Detmer
    All of the above. But especially Bryce. Maybe a Bathtime Bryce?
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Landry. All the way
    1. Emperor Georgiou
    2. Captain Killy
    3. Mirror Connor
    4. Mirror Captain Burnham
    5. Mirror Lorca
    6. Mirror Servant Saru
    7. Mirror Staments
    8. Mirror Landry
    9. Mirror Joann Owosekun
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Airiam
    Keyla or Landry definitely deserve it more, but Airiam's just so adorable.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    1. Emperor Georgiou
    2. Captain Killy
    3. Mirror Connor
    4. Mirror Captain Burnham
    5. Mirror Lorca
    6. Mirror Servant Saru
    7. Mirror Staments
    8. Mirror Landry
    9. Mirror Joann Owosekun
    Mirror Lorca IS our captain Lorca
    Mirror Captain Burnham IS our Fun Sponge Burnham
    Mirror “Slave” Saru...

But you missed my personal favorite:

“Appetizer” Saru...

otffqkezmdy3.jpeg

😝😝😝
    [BL] Q wrote: »

Keyla is great, and we definitely need to see her, but Landry is a MUST!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • edited February 2018
    MIRROR TILLY
    (but for real, Landry would be cool)
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joann Owosekun
    Owosekun ‘s hair is FIRE, tho....!

tumblr_oxobohfX7B1wcyh2ao2_400.gif
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Keyla Detmer
    We should for sure see all of them, fairly soon I would hope.
  • Keyla Detmer
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Owosekun ‘s hair is FIRE, tho....!

tumblr_oxobohfX7B1wcyh2ao2_400.gif

Ditmer's ins't? She has fire in her soul, and the souls of those she takes.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    http://tenforwardloungers.freecluster.eu
  • SiblinSiblin ✭✭✭
    Definitely want to see all of these, but agree with aki, i think they should wait until they’ve had more screen time. Probably in season 2.

Biggest omission so far from tha game as far as I can see (though not technically discovery crew - yet) is l’rell. She’s been integral to a lot more plot than some of the 5* characters we’ve seen.

About Airiam. The after trek show originally had her listed as “Augmented Alien”, but the show runners corrected them that she’s an “Augmented Human”. Seems strange to use the word “Augment” when that means something else in the Star Trek universe. There’s definitely an interesting back story to come.

I reckon it’s like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNNmHyhANY

Er... Torchbearer Rejac had like 15 SECONDS of screen time. I don't think that's a factor.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • kobakoba ✭✭✭
    Landry
    Leader of the Czechoslovak Fleet (Starbase level 134). We are recruiting!

My Cryostasis Vault