Home The Bridge

Should DB Keep trying to build hype with Mysterious New Crew/Events/Ships etc

PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in The Bridge

Should DB Keep trying to build hype with Mysterious New Crew/Events/Ships etc 98 votes

Yes, it's fun!
22%
izausomeData1001RocpileeXo | das411[TUFG] SiguardNS111111Grumpfer[DB - Do Better]   ProwlerIrialPlasmaPhotonKimTcal(HGH)ApolloOdo MarmarosaEtienneNeackChaoticDNAShy Khan[10F] Belle'Anna robownage 22 votes
No, the aren't good at it.
59%
ADM Fletcher [ET]uss_bonaventureChief Eud{DD}rickPeachtree RexAviTrek[KM] UL1R53The FishCaptainUnderpantsmilamber42Captain Durf[NDQ] Joker41NAMProsserMordack[DB:Do Better] More Tranya! William T. Riker[TFA] Commodore Wizzlestix[QH] OxmyxeXo | SilverRose (retired)Grant77General McDuck 58 votes
Dont' Care.
18%
AstrometricsSabine of AthensFor Cardassia[GoT] jess-gay[TUFG] Doctor XJim RaynoreXo | Cadet Mattnomadish[CFOH] Earl Grey[Retired] BeamMeUpScottieTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)Gib - Admiral Marinerscaptain_yarEgo DraconisDavideBooksRogueAngyl[OPA] Col. Fred L. JohnsonArynne 18 votes

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if they are going to use the actual Silhouette of the Crew, it is kind of a crappy "mystery"......

No offense, just saying.

Scott

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • No, the aren't good at it.
    I've said many times before mystery doesn't build hype it builds frustration and usually disappointment. We tend to let our hopes drive our thoughts and we are often disappointed with the end result of whatever the "great reveal" is.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voted don't care, but really it's more of an "I enjoy it when they put effort into it" vote.

I actually liked the build-up to the first Borg Mega event with a short video and an encoded message. It wasn't hard to figure out (I don't think they were really trying hard to disguise it), but I think they did a good job with it. I was excited. By contrast, this last mega event was "announced" in a "Key information about next week's..." post. But, when you have a mega event every other month, I guess it's even hard for DB to get excited about it.

With the exception that it took dental surgery on Shan to get the bonus crew info out, I agree the Borg one had a level of excitement that almost beat out the frustration it caused. It being a new thing (the first mega) it felt like it delivered some on the hype.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick to the bugs 😜
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Only if the ship or crew justifies such secrecy.
    Hmmm, let's see...they hyped Sarek as being character #500, but then released him BEFORE the event pack was made available, making the new Sarek #497, not #500.

So, I think it's safe to say that DB is terrible at hyping/launching anything of significance.

• For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont' Care.
    It's fun, but they kind of messed it up. They showed a silhouette, tied it to a mega where we kind of knew what to expect etc.

If they do it in the future, I'll be all for it. But if we don't see something like this again, I'm fine with that
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Borg month and promo video was probably the best I've seen and not just from DB that set the bar so high and they've failed to live up to their own standard the last mega event felt like it was thrown together this one feels the same
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care when the info is released. I just want to know when it will be released. For example. We have an exciting new event starting next thursday. We'll tell you about it Thursday. Great. We'll tell you the friday before. Great. We'll tell you sometime. Booo.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
    At the rate they are releasing crew and having events they'll never be able to hype it up for me. There's literally less than a week between each new thing.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, mysteries! But only if the "reveal" doesn't leave us saying "meh".
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's actually a big deal and a worthy payoff, yes tease it with a mystery. If it's a random update that would normally not merit any announcement and is being connected to a mystery to try and make it a big deal, no don't do it.