Home The Bridge

Why I can't get excited that Guinan is going away

2»

Comments

• DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really a fan of Whoopi's movie roles, but I always thought she was great as Guinan. Loved the character, loved her performance.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of Whoopi's movie roles, but I always thought she was great as Guinan. Loved the character, loved her performance.

I watched excessive amounts of Sister Act, but otherwise I haven't actually seen her in too many movies.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    There should be an achievement for the current Gauntlet crew member. Play 500 rounds in the current gauntlet and you are awarded the crew member. 2000 a second, 5000 a third. That way all players are guaranteed a copy if they put in the effort.

When the crew member is changed, the achievement is reset, and the new crew member used for the rewards.

Alternatively a points based achievement. 1 point for every round you play, another point if you win the round, points for opening gauntlet boxes depending upon their rarity (for streaks) and points for end rank.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be an achievement for the current Gauntlet crew member. Play 500 rounds in the current gauntlet and you are awarded the crew member. 2000 a second, 5000 a third. That way all players are guaranteed a copy if they put in the effort.

Considering Locutus is an achievement reward at 20,000 rounds, this is unlikely.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    I thought about Guinan too and Whoopi Goldberg playing her.

Guinan is a bartender. One.usually think of bartenders as having a harsher language. I think they missed the chance for Guinan having her own alien swear words. And I think Whoopi would then have been great in the role. Instead they make her some wise old sage. And when you think of Whoopi with her normal speech including swear words, it just does not work. I continual find myself being pulled out of the Star Trek fantasy when Guinan was on the screen. But I cannot fault her, her acting is still good.

I liked Whoopi's wise bartender interpretation. She was great at it.

And she still had some more "Whoopi" moments, like when she had the shotgun, or that moment when she told Geordi that she was into bald men (which always seemed very out-of-nowhere to me, despite the context). I think the casting was on the whole great, so I'm sure exactly what you're referring to with Whoopi taking you out of it.

For me whenever I see her as Guinan all I can think of is Whoopi and her swearing. If she had been swearing in alien, it would have removed that thought from my mind. It would have been hilarious to have Riker ask Picard what she said and Picard respond you do not want to know.
  • Knight RangerKnight Ranger ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bri wrote: »
    Just play gauntlet and eventually you’ll get a Guinan or whoever the next one is. Try for small winning streaks if your crew are too weak to compete for the top rankings.

I tried this with my second acct that I don't spend much on. Pretty weak crew, the best stats I have belong to an immortal Sniper Ezri, the rest are 2* immortals. The gauntlets I'm playing though, after the first couple of fights, stick the most defeatable opponents in the mid-range points wise. The 10pt-ers are mostly Mirror Picards and the like. So I'm still getting beyond where I can win against anyone before I even get a half a dozen streak.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bri wrote: »
    Just play gauntlet and eventually you’ll get a Guinan or whoever the next one is. Try for small winning streaks if your crew are too weak to compete for the top rankings.

I tried this with my second acct that I don't spend much on. Pretty weak crew, the best stats I have belong to an immortal Sniper Ezri, the rest are 2* immortals. The gauntlets I'm playing though, after the first couple of fights, stick the most defeatable opponents in the mid-range points wise. The 10pt-ers are mostly Mirror Picards and the like. So I'm still getting beyond where I can win against anyone before I even get a half a dozen streak.

Tough but you still have a small chance at Guinan. Here’s to wishing you luck🍺