Home The Bridge
Options

Would you like to see any game system driven by factors different than RNG?

edited February 2018 in The Bridge

Would you like to see any game system driven by factors different than RNG? 92 votes

Very much, Yes
78% 72 votes
No, not at all
7% 7 votes
I have no opinion on the subject
14% 13 votes

Comments

• Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an example of a question that does have a wrong answer.
  • Options

What do you mean by that?
  • Options

What do you mean by that?

In jest, it's a back handed way of saying that the wrong answer to "does this game need to be driven on occasion by something other than a poorly functioning random number generator", is no.
  • Options
    Well, you are free to interpret this question the way you want. No one dictates you the answer.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I apologize, clearly this attempt at snark and humor failed in the most spectacular way.

I'd like to retract my vote and delete all comments on this thread now.
  • Options
    No need for apologies. You just have fallen to your own humor. I was just pulling your leg. :wink:
  • Options
    Instead of yes or no as options, it would help to know what an alternative would be.

The grass is greener on the other side and what not.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    RogueAngyl wrote: »
    Instead of yes or no as options, it would help to know what an alternative would be.

I very much agree. What would be an alternative?
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

In Gauntlet you could have ranking points and have the legend awarded based on ranking over time (say a weekly or monthly basis)
  • Options

Well, let's say you and your opponent choose freely five character cards out of your inventory. Let's also assume that what counts toward victory is only best skill's base number. Then you start a duel by choosing one of your cards. Your opponent need to answer with card which has a better base number. If he's able to do it he wins the round. If not he loses. Next round is started by a winner of the previous round.
  • Options
    I think, especially in gauntlet's to be able to pick from your entire crew roster or a number in each skill, still keeping the fatigue effect on all (like you do on expeditions), but the round calls for CMD or Med, you pic the best 3 you have and then who ever has the highest score wins more top trumps style, granted this wouldn't help new players going up against players with multiple 5* FF/FE but then we could have divisions, like in the arena, only 1*, 2* 3* characters then 4*& 5*

That would mean new players with only 1 or 2* characters could play their best combo against similar players - people with massive amounts or 4 & 5* characters aren't going to unfreeze 1*'s just to compete (one would hope)

Thoughts?
  • Options

Well, let's say you and your opponent choose freely five character cards out of your inventory. Let's also assume that what counts toward victory is only best skill's base number. Then you start a duel by choosing one of your cards. Your opponent need to answer with card which has a better base number. If he's able to do it he wins the round. If not he loses. Next round is started by a winner of the previous round.

The problem you’ll run into there is that many of us have the same cards FE. (Also, Gauntlet isn’t based upon base skill, so I’ll assume you mean proficiencies, unless you’re saying to change the entire foundation of it?)

So essentially it will come down to starbase bonuses, or it will be endless ties.

You also wouldn’t have a bonus for traits in there, so everyone will merely need to have the five cards with the best proficiencies in the game. Kahless for cmd, Defensive Phlox for med, etc.

Also, that would require interactions with other players in real time... which would be complicated and possibly weird. I often play when I have a few minutes of downtime in the middle of a task. If I have to wait for the other person, that becomes more of a time commitment. There’s also connection issues, given that many of us play on mobile devices.
    Hunter247 wrote: »

In Gauntlet you could have ranking points and have the legend awarded based on ranking over time (say a weekly or monthly basis)

That’s not a bad idea, though I’d recommend basing it on trophies over time rather than rank.

But are you suggesting that the current system in gauntlet stay the same, except for making the legendary based on rank/trophies? As in, we still get gauntlet boxes with blue trainers, chrons, items, etc, but not with the legendary?

Although, there is a rounds achievement that will give you LOB, which is sort of similar.
  • Options

The problem you’ll run into there is that many of us have the same cards FE. (Also, Gauntlet isn’t based upon base skill, so I’ll assume you mean proficiencies, unless you’re saying to change the entire foundation of it?)

So essentially it will come down to starbase bonuses, or it will be endless ties.

You also wouldn’t have a bonus for traits in there, so everyone will merely need to have the five cards with the best proficiencies in the game. Kahless for cmd, Defensive Phlox for med, etc.

Also, that would require interactions with other players in real time... which would be complicated and possibly weird. I often play when I have a few minutes of downtime in the middle of a task. If I have to wait for the other person, that becomes more of a time commitment. There’s also connection issues, given that many of us play on mobile devices.

1. I said base skill and I meant base skill. Gauntlet is poorly designed. You don't want to base new system on Gauntlet.

2. Fact that many players have same cards FE won't be a problem because there is so many of them. And you can quite easily think of some additional rules involving secondary and/or tertiary skill. It would add even more flavour to the formula.

3. There won't be endless ties. Defeated player loses his/her card.

4. Interactions in real time with real human is the essence of my question. It's not a problem at all. It's just five round match. Beside you can easily develop a system involving predefined sequence of characters. You choose your five cards and arrange them in some order. Then you send a challnge to your opponent. Then your opponent may answer yoyr challnge at any time convinient for him with his own predefined sequence of cards. To make this predefined duel system funnier you can think of some additional rules, for example you can't set three same skill based cards in a row.
  • Options

1. I said base skill and I meant base skill. Gauntlet is poorly designed. You don't want to base new system on Gauntlet.

2. Fact that many players have same cards FE won't be a problem because there is so many of them. And you can quite easily think of some additional rules involving secondary and/or tertiary skill. It would add even more flavour to the formula.

4. Interactions in real time with real human is the essence of my question. It's not a problem at all. It's just five round match. Beside you can easily develop a system involving predefined sequence of characters. You choose your five cards and arrange them in some order. Then you send a challnge to your opponent. Then your opponent may answer yoyr challnge at any time convinient for him with his own predefined sequence of cards. To make this predefined duel system funnier you can think of some additional rules, for example you can't set three same skill based cards in a row.

Defeated player loses his/her card?

As in, you lose them entirely forever?
  • Options

Defeated player loses his/her card?

As in, you lose them entirely forever?

No, not permanently. Only for this particular match. :smile:
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    We could have a match-3 game using the symbols for Dip, Sci, etc! And they could power up attack bonuses for the different crew, and...

Uh, nevermind.
  • Options
    There is quite many possibilities here to avoid RNG. DB simply needs to understand it's in their best interest to apply them.
  • Options
    Points to earn the gauntlet main event prize (Locutus, Guinan , old banjo man) would be a nice change. The points earned per battle could remain random if they wish, but a listed tally say 3000 or 4000 points for the first one would be a welcome change.
    .(then each victory awards at least 1 point with a chance for many more.. 2..10.. 100 could be the super "wow I got 100" not often thing.
    (I see a point box that you open before the prize box which still could contain the super prize like it does now)

Streaks could count for more also
    Wins 1-5, min Pointt = 1
    Win 6-10 min Point = 1 streak bonus 1
    Win 11-16 mn point = 1 streak bonus 2
    Win 17-25 min Point = 1 streak bonus 3
    Win 26+ min Point =1 streak bonus 4

So if you lock up a 30 win streak you looking at at about 94 points min, with a chance for more in each victory.

Every next star the points needed would rise by say 50 %

So 4000 points 1st star
    6000 2nd
    9000 3rd
    13500 4th
    20250 5th.

So If you want more then 1 star, your gonna need some good streaks and good luck in the point boxes.

I can also see extending the playable roster a bit.. maybe 6 selectable and for 10 Dilithium (doubling each time till next gauntlet) you can swap out a character. If you have used the character your swapping out in that refresh cycle the character you bring in is tired to same fatigue level so you can't swap an fatigued out card for a fresh)
  • Options
    A combination of tiered tournament style play with the bonus rewards system outlined by @FutureImperfecta would be the "best of both worlds", no pun intended. (With the exception of swapping characters. Not as a matter of play, just a matter of programming. If you could swap players, you would be expected to lose all points gained by their predecessor, thus an extreme disadvantage no one would probably want anyway. AND you would have to start back at the bottom of the tier again.)

When you get to equal or higher skilled opponents, the points go up accordingly. If you get knocked out, you drop a tier level, but never lose your points.

Winners move to the right, losers to the left. Characters fight in each tier back and forth during that stage. This is difficult to show in a 2D diagram, since this is a 3D approach, there is a lot you can't see. You probably need a flow chart for each character, but you get the idea, maybe? This also insures all players have a fair shot of winning.

gqibale4oyuh.jpg

This way, you have gauntlets running constantly, instead of being timed as well. Once you win or in top 5, maybe you have to sit out for a few hours or something before entering a new gauntlet. BUT once there is a winner declared, gauntlet over. Yes, I get that each tier would have to be timed somehow to give all players a fair shot.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Points to earn the gauntlet main event prize (Locutus, Guinan , old banjo man) would be a nice change. The points earned per battle could remain random if they wish, but a listed tally say 3000 or 4000 points for the first one would be a welcome change.
    .(then each victory awards at least 1 point with a chance for many more.. 2..10.. 100 could be the super "wow I got 100" not often thing.
    (I see a point box that you open before the prize box which still could contain the super prize like it does now)

Streaks could count for more also
    Wins 1-5, min Pointt = 1
    Win 6-10 min Point = 1 streak bonus 1
    Win 11-16 mn point = 1 streak bonus 2
    Win 17-25 min Point = 1 streak bonus 3
    Win 26+ min Point =1 streak bonus 4

So if you lock up a 30 win streak you looking at at about 94 points min, with a chance for more in each victory.

Every next star the points needed would rise by say 50 %

So 4000 points 1st star
    6000 2nd
    9000 3rd
    13500 4th
    20250 5th.

So If you want more then 1 star, your gonna need some good streaks and good luck in the point boxes.

I can also see extending the playable roster a bit.. maybe 6 selectable and for 10 Dilithium (doubling each time till next gauntlet) you can swap out a character. If you have used the character your swapping out in that refresh cycle the character you bring in is tired to same fatigue level so you can't swap an fatigued out card for a fresh)

I'd return to playing the gauntlet if a win gave one point/token to buy the gauntlet 5* let's say 150 tokens wins you a 1/5 every 150 wins as it currently stands I can breeze to #1 in every Gauntlet and have nothing to show for the achievement let alone cost of Dilithium/merits if I choose to use either currency (which I don't) what did it for me was seven Gauntlet wins in a row with the same loot each time what are the odds on 7 crates giving the same loot 7 times in a row?
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every game has to have some rng or whales dominate absolutely and everyone else just quits. The rng can be annoying in this game sometimes but I dont see it as a problem as we all face the same rng.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I believe there is no other choice than RNG, if you have a range of possible values what can determine the actual final value other than a "Random" Number?

• Options
    Every game has to have some rng or whales dominate absolutely and everyone else just quits. The rng can be annoying in this game sometimes but I dont see it as a problem as we all face the same rng.

Well, here there is one point to note, people that uses Apple devices has "less" luck than Android device users, so the RNG is not equally fair to everyone...
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Using base rather than proficiency actually is a detriment to the moderate to low spenders. Why? a 1/5 FE has the same proficiency as a 5/5 FE of that same character. But the Base stats change dramatically from 1/5 to 5/5.

You're kinda missing the motivation as to why the Gauntlet was created in the first place. It was created due to folks making noise about all the 1/5's that they had that didn't really have as much use and didn't have deep enough pockets to fully fuze.

This design would turn off that valve and turn up the frustration from a character inventory standpoint, returning to where we were a number of months ago, also decreasing enthusiasm for events which could lead to fewer event packs purchased and/or fewer chrons/boosts purchased.

So your statement about this being in DB's best interests, well, at least this design really is not.

• Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Using base rather than proficiency actually is a detriment to the moderate to low spenders. Why? a 1/5 FE has the same proficiency as a 5/5 FE of that same character. But the Base stats change dramatically from 1/5 to 5/5.

You're kinda missing the motivation as to why the Gauntlet was created in the first place. It was created due to folks making noise about all the 1/5's that they had that didn't really have as much use and didn't have deep enough pockets to fully fuze.

This design would turn off that valve and turn up the frustration from a character inventory standpoint, returning to where we were a number of months ago, also decreasing enthusiasm for events which could lead to fewer event packs purchased and/or fewer chrons/boosts purchased.

So your statement about this being in DB's best interests, well, at least this design really is not.

You are looking for problems where there is none. You can simply make two separate divisions: one for base stats and one for proficiency stats. You can also design such system based solely on proficiency stat. That's not the point as long as RNG is eliminated or at least significantly limited.
  • Options

Simply no. You are wrong. There is so many games not involving RNG. Just look around.
  • Options

Simply no. You are wrong. There is so many games not involving RNG. Just look around.

Could you give us specific examples of similar games that do not use RNG?

I see it in everything. Even board games use it, they just use dice instead of computer generation.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply no. You are wrong.

I've seen this movie before.
  • Options

You are looking for problems where there is none. You can simply make two separate divisions: one for base stats and one for proficiency stats. You can also design such system based solely on proficiency stat. That's not the point as long as RNG is eliminated or at least significantly limited.

I'm trying to look at your proposal from an objective standpoint. I really don't enjoy the gauntlet that much, but I'm not sure you know what from a game design standpoint that you are doing. Your proposal was SPECIFICALLY base stats, and then you doubled down on it when questioned on it. I'm pointing out to you why that's not ideal and why, so you brush it off with charges of just being a cronut.

So, if you wanna get smart about it, lets go -- 'there will not be endless ties', if there are a smaller quantity of characters with the top stats (as there are for both base and proficiency now), how would ties be avoided? You're assumptions in this element, stating that there are so many characters, seem to stem from a belief that there are substantial numbers of characters that are created equal.

Though in some areas, such as SEC and CMD that might be the case, whereby in areas like ENG or MED this isn't the case. Are you familiar with the Gauntlet "Walls"? These are illustrative of this concept. The main reason you don't have walls of Defensive Phlox were his limited availability but after being event crew there are walls of Mirror Phlox, because he's top dog and readily available

Unless you make the matching something like blind draws, (meaning I have no idea what even type of card the other player is laying down) then you're going to invite ties in a consistently and consecutive manner.

And THAT makes the PLAYER the Random number generator at that point. Rather than the player attempting to skew his or her results based on what they think their chance might be beating someone in a stat matchup that is measurable but still random.

I also think spending so much time on the Gauntlet is really an issue. Seriously, its a slot machine and really unless you are spending DIL, you're not spending that much time per day in game on it, when you have story missions, arena, and events.

Would some lessening of the RNG make sense in game maybe even some common sense reforms like what was done with Galaxies after a SR fail? -- sure. but unless people are making up their own characters and building their own ships, I think there needs to be at least a modicum of randomness in game or we replace some folks boredom with other folks boredom and frustration in either ties or matchups that they never will have a chance in succeeding at all in the first place.

Can't you understand it was only a sketch? If base stats are such a concern for you than I can propose a system which utilizes only 1/4* or 1/5* base stats. Again, you are looking for a problem where there is none.

Yes, ties will happen but you can still think of some rules to resolve them. Let's say in such cases player with higher ranking wins or let's assume both players choose additional skill specific card from their inventory until tie is resolved. There is many possibilities here not involving RNG.