Home The Bridge
Options

Would you like to see any game system driven by factors different than RNG?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Every game has to have some rng or whales dominate absolutely and everyone else just quits. The rng can be annoying in this game sometimes but I dont see it as a problem as we all face the same rng.

Simply no. You are wrong. There is so many games not involving RNG. Just look around.

Could you give us specific examples of similar games that do not use RNG?

I see it in everything. Even board games use it, they just use dice instead of computer generation.

That's the whole point. If you want something else you should look for it somewhere else. There is so many simple systems which could be applied here: warships or paper, scissors, rock for example. You just need to remove RNG form your perspective.
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »
    Simply no. You are wrong.

I've seen this movie before.

It's evergreen. Never gets boring. :smile:
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every game has to have some rng or whales dominate absolutely and everyone else just quits. The rng can be annoying in this game sometimes but I dont see it as a problem as we all face the same rng.

Simply no. You are wrong. There is so many games not involving RNG. Just look around.

I see it in everything. Even board games use it, they just use dice instead of computer generation.

That's the whole point. If you want something else you should look for it somewhere else. There is so many simple systems which could be applied here: warships or paper, scissors, rock for example. You just need to remove RNG form your perspective.

... Exactly. If you want something that isn’t based on RNG, maybe you need to look for a game that isn’t based on RNG.

I’m happy with the way things are. I’m just trying to understand how exactly another system could be better. I’m trying and I don’t see it.
  • Options

... Exactly. If you want something that isn’t based on RNG, maybe you need to look for a game that isn’t based on RNG.

I’m happy with the way things are. I’m just trying to understand how exactly another system could be better. I’m trying and I don’t see it.

... or I can try to change reality of this game because I like some of its aspects and I don't like others.

Well, maybe you should try harder? After all it's not quantum physics.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Funny you ignored every other point beyond that. And even then you take blowing off the other point stating that there will be no endless ties, with now, oh we'll make more rules up for that....there are no mirrors here....

Your earlier comment to another person about Rock Paper Scissors, in the context of this game becomes just Human Based RNG. I have no idea what you are doing so I'm going to make a random guess. If I actually KNOW you, I can use psychology to do so, but I'm not going to get randomly matched in game to my coworker or wife, so I'll pick something hoping you don't randomly pick something that beats mine. How is that better than a dice roll?

I actually wrote several multiplayer Rock Paper Scissors games -- this is not theoretical for me.

Progressive probabilities with bonuses in Galaxies give a much better user experience by making sure success does eventually occur though more than likely with the right crew. That's a concrete methodology that's been used in game already that may be able to be used with things like Shuttles to allieve some user frustrations.

Perhaps one element that needs to be removed that would assist in removing some aspect of RNG is making this contest player vs player. You eliminate ties by making challenges that can be overcome by having characters with particular stats or traits.....like running an away mission....

What you want at this point is a new mini-game added, as I don't think DB is going to scrag the Gauntlet--- its being used.
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Funny you ignored every other point beyond that. And even then you take blowing off the other point stating that there will be no endless ties, with now, oh we'll make more rules up for that....there are no mirrors here....
    I simply said there will be ties, from time to time, nothing special. I have never said "endless ties". You simply have a funny habit to make strange shortcuts. That's not my problem.
  • Options
    Your earlier comment to another person about Rock Paper Scissors, in the context of this game becomes just Human Based RNG. I have no idea what you are doing so I'm going to make a random guess. If I actually KNOW you, I can use psychology to do so, but I'm not going to get randomly matched in game to my coworker or wife, so I'll pick something hoping you don't randomly pick something that beats mine. How is that better than a dice roll?

Have you been born with all this knowledge about your wife? Give yourself some time and redit. Play few rounds with your opponent, then play another few and another. In time you will know his/her habits... Again, you are looking for problems where there is none.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like some limited amount of RNG, but I'd like there to be at least some elements that aren't completely dependent on it.

For instance, have occasional "packs" that are more like TCG "boxes". Meaning, each pack would have 5x 5*s, 8x 4*s, 15x 3* and 20x 2*s or something. This means that eventually, you will get everything you want, and the RNG is more about how fast you will get it. It also means that you can't get 5 copies of the same 4*, since there will only be 4 copies in the box/pack.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the following changes would be awesome for the gauntlet without changing a single think on how the current matchup mechanics work:
    1. Separated out into divisions based on wins/losses. Top 25 in every gauntlet get promoted to the higher division. Bottom 25 get demoted. Higher divisions get higher rewards.
    2. Reward Top 10 in each gauntlet with a token. X tokens can be redeemed for a copy of the gauntlet 5*
    3. Change gauntlet resets to be similar to crew resets in galaxy events. You get 6-8 tickets per gauntlet that "restores" your crew. The tickets have a 4 hour cooldown on usage.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

... or I can try to change reality of this game because I like some of its aspects and I don't like others.

Honestly, that was uncalled for. I stated I was trying to understand your position, and you responded with a disparaging comment, instead of trying to explain yourself in better terms.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. What I don’t understand is how this is better for you (you said in another thread that you are a f2p-er who hasn’t been playing long) or I. I fully understand how it’s better for people who have played for years and paid a significant sum of money (thank you, to those of you who have and continue to do so, you’ve kept the game up and running for everyone else :smile:) to build their crew.

Regarding RPS and human-based RNG, I can confirm that if you’re playing with someone you truly know, there is strategy. My older brother and I, as kids, once tied seven times in a row before giving up.

Also, I’d like to assure you that my grasp of quantum mechanics is just fine. (:
  • Options

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. What I don’t understand is how this is better for you (you said in another thread that you are a f2p-er who hasn’t been playing long) or I. I fully understand how it’s better for people who have played for years and paid a significant sum of money (thank you, to those of you who have and continue to do so, you’ve kept the game up and running for everyone else :smile:) to build their crew.

Let's look at the Gauntlet for example, the most RNG distorted system in this game. As a new player I have almost zero chance to win a Gauntlet duel. That's why my irritation is huge if lose this single chance I get due to some highly improbable RNG outburst. On the other hand losing to a real player is my fault only so the level of my irritation is much lower. And there is always this thrilling bonus every time I manage to outmaneuver real human. :smiley: That's how.
  • Options

What you want at this point is a new mini-game added, as I don't think DB is going to scrag the Gauntlet--- its being used.

It's being used due to lack of non-RNG alternative. Give players such alternative and I guarantee you Gauntlet popularity nosedive instantly.
  • Options
    I don't know why these debates always go on like we're living in a vacuum. Galaxy of Heroes is an obvious example of what Timelines would look like if it had been designed by professionals. I don't want to start a debate about whether or not it's a good game, but it has a healthier mix of simplistic tactical combat and RNG loot drops. It just feels more like an actual game than Timelines does.

My assumption is that DB doesn't rely on RNG because there's a lack of obvious alternatives, they do it because it's a lot cheaper to implement. Just look at March to War. In many ways it was just a ripoff of No Man's Land, but that game at least had a sort of XCOM-lite combat system which DB just replaced with shuttle-like RNG missions.

What's my point? I don't know, I'm just ranting because I get irritated watching people try to reinvent the wheel.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you been born with all this knowledge about your wife? Give yourself some time and redit. Play few rounds with your opponent, then play another few and another. In time you will know his/her habits... Again, you are looking for problems where there is none.

Yet somehow I will be able to gain and retain that knowledge of all 100,000+ other players I could get matched with in Timelines? Or even the 200 in a current Gauntlet?

Do you think this the a table full of Magic the Gathering folks? Its got a fairly huge playerbase for a mobile game.
  • Options

Yet somehow I will be able to gain and retain that knowledge of all 100,000+ other players I could get matched with in Timelines? Or even the 200 in a current Gauntlet?

Do you think this the a table full of Magic the Gathering folks? Its got a fairly huge playerbase for a mobile game.

No one forces you to fight all these people. Choose or decline your fights wisely.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The good thing about gauntlet is that it is based on proficiency and not on base stats. Anyone with a 1/5 fully lvled up could do as good as someone with a 5/5. Starbases change this to some degree but gauntlets still work pretty well. It isnt perfect and some people dont play it because they hate gauntlet. If the rng bothers you, dont spend any merits or dilithium on it.

Well, here there is one point to note, people that uses Apple devices has "less" luck than Android device users, so the RNG is not equally fair to everyone...
    What proof or evidence is there for your claim? I play on an apple device and have seen no disadvantage to myself.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

No one forces you to fight all these people. Choose or decline your fights wisely.

You're essentially making matching a nightmare, and as we know, DB usually charges some form of currency for new matches. It's not like you get to search by name for match. For if you could, all you'd need to do is find out the name of some noob and to quote the Looney Tunes "Dogpile on the Rabbit"
  • Options
    I'd like to see less RNG with purchases, perhaps the occasional guarantee character packs. Otherwise, I'm fine with RNG as a game mechanic.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't Voyages less RNG driven and more a function of crew selection and story/dilemma pathing?
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Aren't Voyages less RNG driven and more a function of crew selection and story/dilemma pathing?

Pretty much, though which dilemma that comes up is RNG and item/character drops are RNG.

But the Skill checks etc are pretty straight.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »

Voyage rewards are 100% RNG driven.

Voyage duration is a combination of crew stats and RNG-of-hazard-selection.
  • Options

You're essentially making matching a nightmare, and as we know, DB usually charges some form of currency for new matches.

None of these "rules" is written in stone. They are all subjects to change. It would only need good will and ome imagination both of which DB sadly seem lacking.
  • Options

It's not like you get to search by name for match. For if you could, all you'd need to do is find out the name of some noob and to quote the Looney Tunes "Dogpile on the Rabbit"

You can always incorporate some Honour stat. Attacking weaker opponents would decrease your honour. Attacking stronger opponents would increase it. The bigger your honour stat, the better your rewards. Problem solved. You can even apply a rule which would forbid attacking too weak opponents. Just use your imagination.
  • Options
    I'd like to see less RNG with purchases, perhaps the occasional guarantee character packs. Otherwise, I'm fine with RNG as a game mechanic.

I agree with both statements. I think less randomness with purchases would remove quite a bit of heartache with the game.
    Task Force Pike: We are recruiting!

Task Force Pike/Garrett's Giants, Founder

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with both statements. I think less randomness with purchases would remove quite a bit of heartache with the game.

I miss the whole Marvel Avengers Alliance (not II) model where you always knew who you were recruiting.
  • Options
    Female Klingon QFemale Klingon Q ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I miss the whole Marvel Avengers Alliance (not II) model where you always knew who you were recruiting.

I do too. I also miss the days where I could experiment with different characters without having to worry about whether I was going to run out of crew quarters.

I’d love to be able to experiment with crew for captain and admiral arenas.
    Task Force Pike: We are recruiting!

Task Force Pike/Garrett's Giants, Founder

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam
  • Options
    I for one like being in a game where fleets aren't trying to wipe each other out and whales aren't beating up the little guys. The RNG can be annoying at times, but at least it lets me win some.
  • Options
    I for one like being in a game where fleets aren't trying to wipe each other out and whales aren't beating up the little guys. The RNG can be annoying at times, but at least it lets me win some.

I agree with this. RNG is so much more preferable than waking up everyday to find all your chrons gone and 30% of your creds. Also to find your strongest people injured and in limbo on a injury timer.
  • Options
    I don't like this omni-RNG model utilized by DB. It's overwhelming for sure. Any non-RNG system addition would be fresh and very welcome change. Most of the time RNG is anti-fun. So, less RNG and more fun. That's my creed.