Home The Bridge

Community Rewards: Galaxy Events

LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in The Bridge
Could we have more in the way of Community Rewards for Galaxy events please? In the last six months, players have regularly scooped up all rewards within 24 hours of the event launch.

My preferred options would be say 1 free super-rare honourable citation at 2 billion points and 1 free legendary honourable citation at 3, 4 or 5 billion points. Give people something to really shoot for.

Comments

• I've been thinking for awhile it would be nice if they could work the Event packs into the Community Rewards or Threshold rewards. Imagine starting out the Threshold with one pull of the Event pack and finishing the Threshold with a ten pull?

They definitely could do that. They did it once already for the convergence day event.
  • LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    This weeks event, Community rewards were all scooped up within 12 hours of event launch - again, please DB, consider additional prizes.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    As a player, I'm all for it. As DB, not sure why they'd go for it. Will it entice you to play more in each event (and thus potentially spend more and/or see more ads)? Or will we just get more free stuff for the same player effort (since we clearly can already hit 2B regularly)?

Here's my tweak (and please don't hate me for this idea): right now, you can craft one silly recipe, rank >50,000th, and get 2 free 1/4 cards and a 4* portal. Too little effort for a mechanism that is intended to encourage event participation. (Are you really "part of the community" if you play for 15 seconds and contribute 10 points in an event that reaches multiple billions of points?) Instead, how about individual players needing to hit VP targets to be eligible for each of the community rewards. Nothing too hard, but enough to get you to play for a little while. 10K VP for first community, 20K for second, 30K for third, etc. Then, adding higher threshold community rewards could work (40K for a 1.5B reward, 50K for a 2B reward, etc.). This tweak meets both the players' desires (escalating-value free stuff plus shared goals to strive for) and the company's needs (potentially longer engagement in the game by more players).

Sure, players who cannot devote enough time, or new players that do not have strong enough crews, might miss out on some things. Not sure that's really a flaw (the game is full of situations like that already). The exact targets can be modified if that helps "keep it fair" (e.g., 1K for first target so almost everyone would get the first 1/4 card).
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we're at it, I'm still hoping for them to experiment with adding Community Rewards to other event formats, which was floated way back on the old forum once upon a time as something they were considering. I maintain that most players* who claim to like Galaxy Events actually hate the format and really mean they like the Community Rewards. If other event formats featured them, I suspect a lot of the pro-Galaxy contingent would realize and admit they actually hate those events as much as the rest of us.

*I try to shy away from claiming anything about "most players" as it's a pet peeve of mine. Originally, my theory was that all of the players who claim to like Galaxy Events only really liked the Community Rewards, but then @Data1001 chimed in and claimed to actually enjoy spending four days farming and crafting.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we're at it, I'm still hoping for them to experiment with adding Community Rewards to other event formats, which was floated way back on the old forum once upon a time as something they were considering. I maintain that most players* who claim to like Galaxy Events actually hate the format and really mean they like the Community Rewards. If other event formats featured them, I suspect a lot of the pro-Galaxy contingent would realize and admit they actually hate those events as much as the rest of us.

*I try to shy away from claiming anything about "most players" as it's a pet peeve of mine. Originally, my theory was that all of the players who claim to like Galaxy Events only really liked the Community Rewards, but then @Data1001 chimed in and claimed to actually enjoy spending four days farming and crafting.
    No question that the Comm rewards are a big part of why Galaxy events are popular. But even if Faction events had them too, I'd still prefer Galaxies. Unlike Data, I don't particularly enjoy the repetitive crafting, but imho the most redeeming feature of Galaxies is that you're not forced into a strict playing schedule. With Factions you have to play every 3 hours, through the night, watch your notifications like a hawk, etc. Comm rewards would make this more tolerable, sure, but give me the playstyle freedom of a Galaxy anytime.
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take galaxy over faction or expedition every single time. I really don't understand how so many veteran players can hate galaxy so much. I think you guys are doing it wrong. I spend MAYBE 2 hours working on galaxy events, and I do it while I'm watching tv. I can do it whenever I want during that 4 days. I don't have to set alarms every 3 hours, I don't have to mess up my sleep, I don't have to look at my girlfriend's annoyed expression every time an alarm goes off. I walk away with 2 FF 4*, a community 10 pull, and the legendary if I want it. Less work, better rewards, uninterrupted sleep. Nothing but win.
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭

I'll take galaxy over faction or expedition every single time. I really don't understand how so many veteran players can hate galaxy so much. I think you guys are doing it wrong. I spend MAYBE 2 hours working on galaxy events, and I do it while I'm watching tv. I can do it whenever I want during that 4 days. I don't have to set alarms every 3 hours, I don't have to mess up my sleep, I don't have to look at my girlfriend's annoyed expression every time an alarm goes off. I walk away with 2 FF 4*, a community 10 pull, and the legendary if I want it. Less work, better rewards, uninterrupted sleep. Nothing but win.

It's not generally an issue of time (excluding last couple hours), it is resources. Galaxies tend to eat all of your chrons resources.

But coming back to what I said, the last few hours of Galaxies can be brutal. You have to generally have chrons and be available those hours to maintain rank.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

2 hours a day or two hours total? Are you doing thresholds and out or are you trying to rank?
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I send shuttles multiple times a day every day anyway, so Faction events are not an extra time-waster like Galaxy and Expedition events. The threshold-and-out Galaxy events (which for me is nearly every one) isn’t bad because you can hit that threshold in a day or two, but actually trying to rank in one is a massive waste of time. That goes double for Expedition events because it’s not just mindless tapping - it’s mindless tapping that you can really bone yourself on if you do it wrong and wipe out a crew member before you’re ready, especially if you’re newer or F2P and don’t have a deep crew roster to fall back on.

Plus, Faction events end in a net gain of chrons and equipment rather than a huge drain. The only real stress comes from keeping to a schedule to maximize the number you can send and trying to keep enough time boosts on hand.
  • Magisse wrote: »
    No question that the Comm rewards are a big part of why Galaxy events are popular. But even if Faction events had them too, I'd still prefer Galaxies. Unlike Data, I don't particularly enjoy the repetitive crafting, but imho the most redeeming feature of Galaxies is that you're not forced into a strict playing schedule. With Factions you have to play every 3 hours, through the night, watch your notifications like a hawk, etc. Comm rewards would make this more tolerable, sure, but give me the playstyle freedom of a Galaxy anytime.
    For me it's 2 things:
    1. The community award means one of the event crew will be possible to get up to the full 4 stars instead of ending up with yet another event crew hogging space in the crew roster until I somehow manage to get enough honor to upgrade them.
    2. The shuttle missions become too difficult as the requirements increase, whereas the galaxy events just require steadily working at it to create enough stuff to turn in.

The one complaint I'd have against the galaxy events (think it applies to the faction ones also though) is that the prizes for ranks 3,000-10,000 are just meh compared to those for 10,000+ so I could not be bothered working for them, once I've got all the rewards I just stop there.

At the moment the voyage notification bug does also prove a nuisance for galaxy events since if I can't leave the voyages to run for about as long as possible this reduces the amount chrons I get from them. :(

So in summary, for me:
    • Galaxy event -> a weekend of spending nearly all chrons on the event leaving me with at least 1 new 4/4 star crew member which I can then immortalize over the following week.
    • Faction event -> a weekend of using up all my shuttles on the event leaving me with 1 2/4 star crew member which I have to resist airlocking just to clear space.
    • Hybrid event -> if the galaxy section is last I can try haul it out of the fire and maybe get the 4/4 star, if the galaxy even is first I have to push as hard as I can to have any hope of it since I've no idea how poorly I'll fair in the faction event.

I send shuttles multiple times a day every day anyway, so Faction events are not an extra time-waster like Galaxy and Expedition events. The threshold-and-out Galaxy events (which for me is nearly every one) isn’t bad because you can hit that threshold in a day or two, but actually trying to rank in one is a massive waste of time. That goes double for Expedition events because it’s not just mindless tapping - it’s mindless tapping that you can really bone yourself on if you do it wrong and wipe out a crew member before you’re ready, especially if you’re newer or F2P and don’t have a deep crew roster to fall back on.

Plus, Faction events end in a net gain of chrons and equipment rather than a huge drain. The only real stress comes from keeping to a schedule to maximize the number you can send and trying to keep enough time boosts on hand.

Expedition - its not mindless if you have to think about it. That's contradictory to the meaning of the word.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like for them to retroactively add additional rewards for this past weekend's event so I can justify all the mindless clicking I just did.

VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Expedition - its not mindless if you have to think about it. That's contradictory to the meaning of the word.

Even a complex task can become mind-numbing when repeated enough times. And that was certainly the case back in December for me.

Even a complex task can become mind-numbing when repeated enough times. And that was certainly the case back in December for me.

It may be repetitious and you may tire of it, but it's still not mindless. If it was your autopilot you were numbed into wouldn't need to worry about screwing up.

December should be considered anomalous, for one simple reason. Too many tickets. 3 Tickets a day and maybe a couple extra in threshold and it can be engaging. Hybrid is probably the best format for it though.

2 hours a day or two hours total? Are you doing thresholds and out or are you trying to rank?

About 2 hours TOTAL if I just want to FF both event 4*s. Maybe another 30 minutes if I'm trying to rank. But again, I'm just sort a leisurely doing that while watching netflix or something. If I needed to, I could probably shave a little of that time off, but I LIKE doing it leisurely while watching Trek re-runs or something. Why mess with a working system?

About 2 hours TOTAL if I just want to FF both event 4*s. Maybe another 30 minutes if I'm trying to rank. But again, I'm just sort a leisurely doing that while watching netflix or something. If I needed to, I could probably shave a little of that time off, but I LIKE doing it leisurely while watching Trek re-runs or something. Why mess with a working system?

How in gods green earth are you ranking top 1000 in 2- 2 1/2 hours? Even going warp 10 happy I was sitting on about 5-6 minimum on this last event getting the Legendary. I've spent 20-30 minutes on SR turn ins alone, lol.

How in gods green earth are you ranking top 1000 in 2- 2 1/2 hours? Even going warp 10 happy I was sitting on about 5-6 minimum on this last event getting the Legendary. I've spent 20-30 minutes on SR turn ins alone, lol.

I warp 10 EVERYTHING during galaxy events. Warp 1 is a complete waste of time. And I used the wiki to learn the best missions for the drops I need. That's really it pretty much. I can do the builds almost without looking. So I can just sit there and knock them out while watching re-runs. I FF Anij this event and I doubt I had more than 2 hours in it. I didn't time it so I can't say exactly, but it was somewhere close to that. The next time I go for rank in a full galaxy, I'll time it and post it. Could be a while though. Tilly was the last char I ranked for in a full galaxy event.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm of the opinion that there should be a threshold reward of honor, so that I can either fully fuse a Faction 3/4 or put the honor on another card. I would have been much more inclined to go for threshold or ranked if there was honor involved. Getting a 5/4 seems illogical to me too. This at least seems to ask for honor as a reward instead.

In events like the last one there was little incentive for many to play. If there was honor, you'd see far more participation I'd say. Even if it's small amounts, increasing through the thresholds
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm of the opinion that there should be a threshold reward of honor, so that I can either fully fuse a Faction 3/4 or put the honor on another card. I would have been much more inclined to go for threshold or ranked if there was honor involved. Getting a 5/4 seems illogical to me too. This at least seems to ask for honor as a reward instead.

In events like the last one there was little incentive for many to play. If there was honor, you'd see far more participation I'd say. Even if it's small amounts, increasing through the thresholds

They are so stingy with honor though that even if they did that they wouldn’t give us nearly enough for a super rare citation

• [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

They are so stingy with honor though that even if they did that they wouldn’t give us nearly enough for a super rare citation

Unfortunately I feel that's the case. Even if I could half of that it would be good though, if every other event is faction that would cover the super-rare 3/4 and encourage me to participate in all events without fail.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/