Home Engineering Room
Options

Disgusting Ad Complaint

Just watched an ad for 10 chronitons about people senselessly killing elephants. All through the ad were pictures of dead and horribly killed elephants. I understand this happens in the world and I totally agree it should be stopped, however I feel if I want to see that imagery then I should seek it out myself (which I absolutely would not). It should not be thrown at me by surprise in an ad during a video game. Not much bothers me but I found this to be sickening.

Comments

• Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post it in the dedicated thread in engineering.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    Post it in the dedicated thread in engineering.

Ok thanks. Sorry I tried to think where to post it but I thought engineering was for glitches and such

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you have more details to share?
    Are you on Android or iOS?
    Was this an ad to raise awareness or something else?
  • Options
    I see it on iOS a few times a day. They linger on a photograph of an elephant with a cracked open and rotting skull for nearly the entire 30 seconds. It is a political awareness ad of some kind.

I'll try to grab a screenshot next time it comes up.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen this ad, but I would assume it's about stopping poaching? If so, then what's the problem?
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully not come across this one, there is one thing to raise awareness, however it is quite another to forcefully show violent images especially if the players could be rather to young to fully comprehend take in such images. There are boundaries.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grant77 wrote: »
    I haven't seen this ad, but I would assume it's about stopping poaching? If so, then what's the problem?

The problem is the imagery. It’s extremely graphic and as stated above, crosses a boundary. @Shan I am on iPhone platform. I’m not sure exactly the source of the ad but if I see it again I will pay attention and pass it along.

• Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have seen the ad before. I think it’s the same advertiser that has one about tiny turtles being used in keychains in China, and then slowly suffocating to death over days after people buy them as cute trinkets.

Also, there’s another one, but as soon as I saw it appeared to be the same advertiser, I looked away until it was over.

It advertises a site where you can go to sign petitions or something? I don’t remember completely.

Edit: I’d like to see them gone as well, but not so much because they’re graphic as much as it is because they’re depressing and disturbing on an emotional level.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps disturbing imagery is the only way to make people look up from their phones and care about their world?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps disturbing imagery is the only way to make people look up from their phones and care about their world?

I don’t need to see brutally murdered animals to care. I already do. I donate monthly to three different animal charities, one global and two local. Don’t go assuming things like that. Arguing about game mechanics on here is one thing. This hits me right in the heart.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

That's absolutely correct. There is nothing wrong with informing people of what poaching actually involves. It's undoubtedly better than seeing ads for mobile games.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's absolutely correct. There is nothing wrong with informing people of what poaching actually involves. It's undoubtedly better than seeing ads for mobile games.

I guarantee if I took a screenshot and posted it here it would get taken down. Awareness is one thing but that is just in very poor taste

• Options

No. Just no.

I follow several shelters and rescue groups, and donate to their neediest cases. When I adopted my dog from a rescue, he was thirty pounds underweight. I used to volunteer with a different rescue group. I volunteered every Saturday morning and several Friday nights at a local library for more than three years.

I care a lot about the world. Maybe too much. Part of my love for Trek is the underlying theme of hope for the future, because most days I don’t have any.

Sure, adwarps are my choice. But I know that DB has worked hard to try to make this game something that we can enjoy and that is appropriate for people of different ages and walks of life.

And a graphic ad is not furthering their best interests, either.
  • Options
    Alright, after a bit of creative googling, I found it.

They’re advertisements for a website full of petitions.
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com specifically.

Specifically, here are links to two I’ve seen advertisements for, but I can’t seem to find any videos linked to their petitions on the sites (though I’m on mobile, so that may affect things):

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/793/851/746/save-elephants-and-lions-stop-trump’s-trophy-hunting-plan/

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/390/420/085/test1/
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Alright, after a bit of creative googling, I found it.

They’re advertisements for a website full of petitions.
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com specifically.

Specifically, here are links to two I’ve seen advertisements for, but I can’t seem to find any videos linked to their petitions on the sites (though I’m on mobile, so that may affect things):

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/793/851/746/save-elephants-and-lions-stop-trump’s-trophy-hunting-plan/

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/390/420/085/test1/

I can only speak for myself, but I fully support the message that they are sharing and would like to see more ads that promote making the world a better place.
  • Options
    You clearly didn’t have to spend 30 seconds looking into the gaping, festering hole of a rotting elephant’s head multiple times per day, just hoping to god when you look down you can finally tap the x to get rid of it.

Yes, it is a very worthy cause to prevent this. However, shoving this grizzly image which can never be unseen in between a slew of ads for kids games makes anybody who has a conscience feel a little violated and ill.

It’s like making you step over a dead body every time you have to go to the bathroom and shouldn’t be something we see in a mobile game.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You clearly didn’t have to spend 30 seconds looking into the gaping, festering hole of a rotting elephant’s head multiple times per day, just hoping to god when you look down you can finally tap the x to get rid of it.

Yes, it is a very worthy cause to prevent this. However, shoving this grizzly image which can never be unseen in between a slew of ads for kids games makes anybody who has a conscience feel a little violated and ill.

It’s like making you step over a dead body every time you have to go to the bathroom and shouldn’t be something we see in a mobile game.

Thank you!!! I’ve seen some arguing over ridiculous things on this forum but this really takes the cake. I’m appalled people are defending this ad. Trying to tell me I’m wrong for being sickened by it? Y’all are wrong on a whole new level I didn’t even think people on this forum were capable of.
  • Options
    I don’t really know what people think this ad is doing that is a good thing.

I am well aware that humanity is full of chocolate cronuts. I am well aware that there are non-human-animals suffering all over the world and there is nothing I can do about it. I am well aware that there are people out there who will cause unimaginable suffering for others if it means they can make money.

Not really sure what kind of awareness they’d be looking for here.

You know something funny about that petition site?

They have ads. They make money off of visits to the site. :p

So yeah. I’m sure that this is 100% about raising awareness for keychain turtles, and it has nothing to do with making money off of people who are horrified that trinket turtles are a thing.

There are much more elegant, thought-provoking ways to make the same point in a way that is lasting and makes you actually consider what you can do to help. Ads that can give you suggestions for how you can actually make a difference and feel the impact you’re making.

This one is horrifying clickbait that wants you to feel like you’re making a difference by clicking more buttons online, whilst providing them with viewers for their ads, so they can make more money.

If it accomplishes its intended purpose, you will spend more time staring at your phone, not less. I guarantee it.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Trying to tell me I’m wrong for being sickened by it?

I don't think anyone did that. I haven't seen the ad, but obviously the point is for you to be sickened.
  • Options
    MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭
    I have never seen it, and am glad I haven't. All I get are ads for games, as it should be.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I had this one play once but i was doing something else and only saw it out of the corner of my eye so I did not notice what it was for, only that it seemed unusually graphic for a STT ad. As a biologist who's worked to conserve endangered species professionally, I'm not personally offended (or even disgusted) by the imagry and probably agree in general with the associated cause. I would also be sceptical of any organization that had to resort to such tactics to get attention.

However, both the political content and the graphic imagry are different from what we have learned to expect from a STT ad. Remember we have an in-game chat censor so sensitive that it occasionaly blocks random words and phrases, like character names (ie Orion Slaver). Just concerned about consistancy.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Just a general thought. Don't flag posts as spam when someone posts an opinion that you disagree with. That's childish.

The fact that I support graphic ads that get people thinking about problems in the world is not spam. We get all of these ads for silly games and when people see something that actually makes them think then they are up in arms.

If you don't like the fact that people kill elephants then do something about it. Don't whine and cry on a forum.
  • Options
    Just a general thought. Don't flag posts as spam when someone posts an opinion that you disagree with. That's childish.

The fact that I support graphic ads that get people thinking about problems in the world is not spam. We get all of these ads for silly games and when people see something that actually makes them think then they are up in arms.

If you don't like the fact that people kill elephants then do something about it. Don't whine and cry on a forum.

I don’t think you get it. This ad is not an inspiring, “let’s make the world a better place ad”.

This ad is shoving the fact that there are animals out there who are dying slowly and with immeasurable pain down your throat.

This ad is a depressing reminder that while inside this game I get to pretend to be a captain and fly around the galaxy on missions, in real life I am completely powerless to stop the actions of other human beings.

If this were an inspiring ad to make the world a better place, I would be on board with it.

But, like Odo said....
    I would also be sceptical of any organization that had to resort to such tactics to get attention.

But also, it’s not an organization. It’s NOT a nonprofit.

It’s a social networking site. xD
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t need to see brutally murdered animals to care. I already do. I donate monthly to three different animal charities, one global and two local. Don’t go assuming things like that. Arguing about game mechanics on here is one thing. This hits me right in the heart.

So, one thing, though. You're not the only person they're trying to reach. Perhaps this isn't all about you?
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all have different sensibilities, and that is OK. Let's respect that.
    I appreciate that this discussion has remained civil, thank you.
    The added details will be useful to track this ad down.

• Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll start my 2 cents by agreeing that ads like that are strange to have in a mobile game... That being said, this is a perfect example of "ignorance is bliss" and people preferring to pretend stuff isn't happening than face the cold hard truth. The imagery might be disturbing, but with the state of the world right now, people SHOULD be disturbed
  • Options
    Yateball wrote: »
    I'll start my 2 cents by agreeing that ads like that are strange to have in a mobile game... That being said, this is a perfect example of "ignorance is bliss" and people preferring to pretend stuff isn't happening than face the cold hard truth. The imagery might be disturbing, but with the state of the world right now, people SHOULD be disturbed

I already am.

I play this game to get away from that. To pretend it doesn’t exist and that someday there will be a better world with a better humanity.

Well, that went out the window. (:
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, one thing, though. You're not the only person they're trying to reach. Perhaps this isn't all about you?

I disagree. It pains me to watch this ad. If it were taken down, what harm would it do to you. None. Why not just say ok, we will take it down. If we don’t, some people, not just me as proven by this post, will be upset. If we do, no one will be upset that it was removed. Just be a decent human being and remove it. It’s unbelievable to defend its remaining. To address your other comments, I already told you I do something about it. $60 a month from me goes towards stopping such things. And lastly, I wouldn’t be on here crying about it in the first place if it wasn’t shoved in my face. I certainly wouldn’t come on a game forum to complain about harming animals. The game brought it to me.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

I disagree. It pains me to watch this ad. If it were taken down, what harm would it do to you. None. Why not just say ok, we will take it down. If we don’t, some people, not just me as proven by this post, will be upset. If we do, no one will be upset that it was removed. Just be a decent human being and remove it. It’s unbelievable to defend its remaining. To address your other comments, I already told you I do something about it. $60 a month from me goes towards stopping such things. And lastly, I wouldn’t be on here crying about it in the first place if it wasn’t shoved in my face. I certainly wouldn’t come on a game forum to complain about harming animals. The game brought it to me.

Where do we draw the line? Three quarters of my ads are war games that promote the killing of human beings.

They can't just remove reasonable ads because you don't like them. If they do that for everyone then none of us would have ads.

There's an easy solution if you can't stand the sight of a dead animal. Don't watch. Nobody forces you to push that orange button.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do we draw the line? Three quarters of my ads are war games that promote the killing of human beings.

They can't just remove reasonable ads because you don't like them. If they do that for everyone then none of us would have ads.

There's an easy solution if you can't stand the sight of a dead animal. Don't watch. Nobody forces you to push that orange button.

It was totally unexpected. I have only saw it once so far and that one time was very wtf just happened. I’ve said something on here before about a kill die die game where your a sniper and your job is to kill people from far away. Didn’t like that either. I suppose the over the top part is this was real. All the others are computer graphics