Home The Bridge

Randomness and Change: Discussion

2»

Comments

• Having put a lot of effort into advocating for and advising on policy for real world issues, and having been part of many gaming communities, it's abundantly clear to me that people are people, wherever people are. If we want a different experience, we are, each of us, going to have to exercise more discipline and self awareness in order to create it.
    Yup. That is why Scott Adam's Dilbert hits so close to home in so many companies. A lot of his strips are based on email sent in from readers.
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    What has really annoyed me as an event has been the moaning from a tiny minority who seem to believe that they represent the majority.

I personally didn't notice that there was an issue with the event until I logged into the forums and saw all the moaning.

For anyone playing long term this is a pretty trivial issue yet a vocal minority treat it like DB have stolen money from their wallets. They haven't.
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hunter247 wrote: »
    What has really annoyed me as an event has been the moaning from a tiny minority who seem to believe that they represent the majority.

I personally didn't notice that there was an issue with the event until I logged into the forums and saw all the moaning.

For anyone playing long term this is a pretty trivial issue yet a vocal minority treat it like DB have stolen money from their wallets. They haven't.

Dating back to even before I joined the old forum, the term "most players" was agonizingly overused. It was disputed whether it even meant "most of the regularly active forum members". It often did not, but that certainly didn't convince anyone that they were not, in fact, the Official Representative of the Star Trek Timelines Player Association, an organization monolithic enough that whatever could be said of one player must surely be applicable to all but the newest to join.

Whatever. I do thank the rational, fair-minded posters who have pushed back against that ever-present wave of rage on this forum (and its defunct predecessor). I'd have bailed on this community quite some time ago if not for y'all. Thanks.

To be honest, I feel similarly. I personally do try to be one of those rational fair-minded posters, but I often feel I completely miss the mark... by a few miles, perhaps.

I do want to extend thanks to you on that topic, too, Travis. The data you’ve collected and put into comprehensive formats has been invaluable.

If there’s anything consistent about this forum, it would have to be our inconsistency.
  • At the end of the event, i did not find myself negatively impacted at all as expected. Not sure if this is from players sitting this one out?

My only concern ongoing is a continuing preference for correct timely info & the confidence DB is making good efforts to provide that.
    ~ seeking out new life
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Capt Ajamm wrote: »
    At the end of the event, i did not find myself negatively impacted at all as expected. Not sure if this is from players sitting this one out?

My only concern ongoing is a continuing preference for correct timely info & the confidence DB is making good efforts to provide that.

TBH I found community rewards took longer to receive, I think if Garland wasn't in the rewards this event would have been sat out by a great deal more. Only those who want to add/ff Rom for collection etc are probably continuing. I only just made Threshold shortly after Phase 2 start but I didn't have a great crew for this event. I've also noticed I have been able to hold my rank a lot easier than previous events.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the event, i did not find myself negatively impacted at all as expected. Not sure if this is from players sitting this one out?

TBH I found community rewards took longer to receive, I think if Garland wasn't in the rewards this event would have been sat out by a great deal more. Only those who want to add/ff Rom for collection etc are probably continuing. I only just made Threshold shortly after Phase 2 start but I didn't have a great crew for this event. I've also noticed I have been able to hold my rank a lot easier than previous events.

Yeah I got so far and wasn't falling in rank so much that I started leveling crew for next event without harm to getting sub 1000.

I did break threshold in Phase 1, but man my hoarding of chrons went more to other things.
    (Got 17 FE bonus crew 4* or higher for next event, YAY!)
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

I happened to be online looking at the progress bar when we hit the Garland threshold. That was at 1:59 AM EST yesterday, meaning it took fourteen hours (minus a minute) for the community to hit 600m Victory Points. That strikes me as significantly longer than it ordinarily takes. I dunno when we finally hit the 10x pull.

I've been holding steady in the top 1000, too, which is atypical of me in a Galaxy or a Galaxy Hybrid, although it's also atypical of me to bother in Phase 2 at all. Ordinarily, I'm Threshold-and-Out, which I can knock out in Phase 1.

As for what accounts for what anecdotally appears to be a lower participation rate, it's hard to guess. Thematically, a wholly DS9 event will pretty much always appeal to me, but I get that it won't for a lot of others. Even among a lot of other DS9 fans, I can see there being less enthusiasm for Quark, Rom, and Garland than there would be for a lot of other combinations.

Outside of the game, St. Patrick's Day was this Saturday. A lot of schools have been on spring break. Spring weather always makes it tempting to go out--and stay out--for the first time in months. We had some overall pretty weather here, and I'm sure there was in other places, too. I have no idea what event participation was like last March to compare.

I am reasonably certain, however, that the announcement of participating factions being wrong is not the culprit that some have spent the weekend insisting.
    edited March 2018

I am reasonably certain, however, that the announcement of participating factions being wrong is not the culprit that some have spent the weekend insisting.

No I don't think it stopped participation per se, however it may have made things a lot difficult for players though, I think it hindered performance such as gaining VP points sooner, it may have also caused people to quit early in frustration. Especially if they didn't want to drain their chrons on just the event and level crew up instead.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

I happened to be online looking at the progress bar when we hit the Garland threshold. That was at 1:59 AM EST yesterday, meaning it took fourteen hours (minus a minute) for the community to hit 600m Victory Points. That strikes me as significantly longer than it ordinarily takes. I dunno when we finally hit the 10x pull.

I've been holding steady in the top 1000, too, which is atypical of me in a Galaxy or a Galaxy Hybrid, although it's also atypical of me to bother in Phase 2 at all. Ordinarily, I'm Threshold-and-Out, which I can knock out in Phase 1.

As for what accounts for what anecdotally appears to be a lower participation rate, it's hard to guess. Thematically, a wholly DS9 event will pretty much always appeal to me, but I get that it won't for a lot of others. Even among a lot of other DS9 fans, I can see there being less enthusiasm for Quark, Rom, and Garland than there would be for a lot of other combinations.

Outside of the game, St. Patrick's Day was this Saturday. A lot of schools have been on spring break. Spring weather always makes it tempting to go out--and stay out--for the first time in months. We had some overall pretty weather here, and I'm sure there was in other places, too. I have no idea what event participation was like last March to compare.

We hit the 10 pull roughly 25 hours and 38 minutes in.

As a comparison, Rom was roughly 5 hours and 41 minutes in.
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was definitely less competition this week. I went hard on phase one. I didn't drop a single chron on phase 2 and still wound up nearly 1000 places higher than I needed to be to finish fusing up my Rom. That's definitely a first for me.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly didn’t expect to do as well as I did. I was gunning for top 3000 to finish Niners Rom (something I haven’t done in a Galaxy event in a looooong time) and was around 2200 a few hours before the end this morning. Figured I'd lose a few hundred ranks due to last-minute cashing in of rare items, so I blew every last chron and ad-warp I had before getting to work...I somehow ended up at 2319.

Now I feel a little bad in case someone needed two stars on Rom instead of one star and 200 honor.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

No I don't think it stopped participation per se, however it may have made things a lot difficult for players though, I think it hindered performance such as gaining VP points sooner, it may have also caused people to quit early in frustration. Especially if they didn't want to drain their chrons on just the event and level crew up instead.

That's the thing: it didn't make anything difficult for anyone in terms of playing this event. At worst, it spoiled plans to use this event to run shuttles to farm faction items for crew who weren't even bonus crew during this event anyway. Anyone who stopped playing because they freaked out about not being able to run Romulan and Klingon shuttles wasn't sabotaged by DB; they were sabotaged by a crisis of their own invention.

I think you're onto something with a large part of the player base bailing on the event to work on backlog, especially given that we all know we're two weeks away from beginning another mega-event. I can appreciate that a lot of players may have been underwhelmed by the rank rewards. Had the 5* not been a DS9 crew member, I would have bailed after the thresholds myself since I already had an immortalized Niners Rom.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the thing: it didn't make anything difficult for anyone in terms of playing this event. At worst, it spoiled plans to use this event to run shuttles to farm faction items for crew who weren't even bonus crew during this event anyway. Anyone who stopped playing because they freaked out about not being able to run Romulan and Klingon shuttles wasn't sabotaged by DB; they were sabotaged by a crisis of their own invention.

I think you're onto something with a large part of the player base bailing on the event to work on backlog, especially given that we all know we're two weeks away from beginning another mega-event. I can appreciate that a lot of players may have been underwhelmed by the rank rewards. Had the 5* not been a DS9 crew member, I would have bailed after the thresholds myself since I already had an immortalized Niners Rom.

I'm not sure it was nothing. It was a lot more work for some people to get to thresholds, forcing them to do the galaxy part to finish or abandon. And if this is the new reality then that will continue to be an issue. And it won't affect the whales or established players, it will affect the people who are new to the game, the people who DB claims they are trying to help.

Also people form expectations and simply don't like it when those expectations are not met. My expectations were that DB would apologise and give us all some merits or something. That hasn't happened. They are just nerfing the speedup at the start of faction events, and we can all go hide in a barn. Personally, I'm ok with the nerfing, I am just disappointed in how DB has handled it.

And this has become a bit of a theme. Well intended changes covered in a layer of disingenuity. Take the voyages nerf. They could have just came out and said, we made a mistake and the loot tables are just too generous. A lot of us thought that that was the case anyway. Instead they basically tried to spin it.
    edited March 2018
    Thurthorad wrote: »

I'm not sure it was nothing. It was a lot more work for some people to get to thresholds, forcing them to do the galaxy part to finish or abandon. And if this is the new reality then that will continue to be an issue. And it won't affect the whales or established players, it will affect the people who are new to the game, the people who DB claims they are trying to help.

Also people form expectations and simply don't like it when those expectations are not met. My expectations were that DB would apologise and give us all some merits or something. That hasn't happened. They are just nerfing the speedup at the start of faction events, and we can all go hide in a barn. Personally, I'm ok with the nerfing, I am just disappointed in how DB has handled it.

And this has become a bit of a theme. Well intended changes covered in a layer of disingenuity. Take the voyages nerf. They could have just came out and said, we made a mistake and the loot tables are just too generous. A lot of us thought that that was the case anyway. Instead they basically tried to spin it.

Yes this was the thing I was driving at, but I really must insist on not using bringing mammalian fish into it, I can not watch The voyage home in the same way again, I fear.

For me (and possibly many others) based on the information a week before I was going to get threshold (hoping to hit it by Phase 1 - had it been a "normal" 3 faction event - this was a very realistic expectation) and bail, air locking my 1/4 Rom. Instead I had to dip a bit further into Phase 2. But then I changed my mind because I noticed I was holding my rank, so well I just found myself saying well I have a good chance of getting a FF Niners Rom, why not?

Now i know it was my choice to continue and I don't regret it really, but considering competition was 'softish' players will continue to over extend themselves and then most likely crash and skip events, whether by choice or by forced restraints, and this is what will harm events in my view. This is where the balance has to be right and realistic.

EDIT: for interest purposes my current backlog since the beginning of the year is:

Yar 2/4 Level 100 - 1 item remaining
    Shras 4/4 90 (80-90)
    Vic Pulaski 4/4 80 (70-80)
    Thelin 2/4 80 (70-80)
    Niners Rom 4/4 (70-80)
    Garland 4/4 60 (50-60)
    Time Loop Mudd 4/4 50 (40/50)
    Mother Horta 3/4 50 (40/50)
    Lt Tarah 1/4 40 (30-40)
    Rakal Troi 3/4 30 (20-30)

I've therefore completed (level 100'd not necessarily immortalised e.g Tourist Quark is 1/4 and Shran 3/4 at level 100) 50% of what I receive from events or 57% if you count Yar and Gaia Odo.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    My backlog is Victorian Pulaski, Ant-man Mudd, Rianna Mayweather and Commander Sela. The last two came largely from Voyages. I ditched Tarah and Tourist Quark because 1/4. Away Team Saru and Obsidian Order Garak need some work too. Otherwise I'm largely on top of it.

However, I usually don't level anyone unless they are 3/4 or better and available in the portal, or I'm gonna cite, a good 1/5 or a gauntlet beast. Or will be used in an event. It sort of means all the event crew and all 4/4s or better are up to speed, I'm only behind because I've been busy finishing off cryo collections
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/