Home The Bridge
Options

What’s your best single gauntlet score??

[SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in The Bridge
Hit this yesterday as my new record, how about you guys????

zxkacb5sa0li.png

Comments

• Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    im currently in a gauntlet with 65% crtit rate for kahless but havent gotten around to play it yet :DD

if memory servers ive hit high 5k's before
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    They say single picture is worth of thousand words and they are right. This image is an excellent illustration of all Gauntlet flaws.
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    They say single picture is worth of thousand words and they are right. This image is an excellent illustration of all Gauntlet flaws.

because it's rng based like everything else in the game huh?
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    kapu wrote: »

because it's rng based like everything else in the game huh?

Overused RNG is definitely one of the biggest flaws of this game. In this particular case I meant 65% crit chance is way, way too much. 5% should be the biggest possible value to get in my opinion. The other problem clearly seen here is surreal matching. Algorithm matching two such uneven characters is obviously far from being good.
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    The other problem clearly seen here is surreal matching. Algorithm matching two such uneven characters is obviously far from being good.
    The matching isnt based on rng that much, but player rankings. And besides I aim to get matches like this, wait a while after joining the gauntlet, let all the impatient folk get some points and arrange themselves somewhat roughly in the order by their crew strenght, then start picking out the 10 point fights against low level crew of nub^H^H^H new players and get those streaks going, i suppose you could call it strategical playing style.
  • Options
    The other problem clearly seen here is surreal matching. Algorithm matching two such uneven characters is obviously far from being good.
    The matching isnt based on rng that much, but player rankings. And besides I aim to get matches like this, wait a while after joining the gauntlet, let all the impatient folk get some points and arrange themselves somewhat roughly in the order by their crew strenght, then start picking out the 10 point fights against low level crew of nub^H^H^H new players and get those streaks going, i suppose you could call it strategical playing style.

Believe me, I'm sure selecting algorithm is not based on RNG. I've seen too many "spend your money to refresh" matching walls.

Gauntlet is arranged around Trophies. Trophies should be the most desired Gauntlet reward. If Gauntlet makes you to choose 10 trophies duels at the expense of 50 - 250 trophies duels something is clearly wrong. These choices can hardly be called strategic. Using technique you described you simply try to get around obvious system flaw.
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Believe me, I'm sure selecting algorithm is not based on RNG. I've seen too many "spend your money to refresh" matching walls.

Gauntlet is arranged around Trophies. Trophies should be the most desired Gauntlet reward. If Gauntlet makes you to choose 10 trophies duels at the expense of 50 - 250 trophies duels something is clearly wrong. These choices can hardly be called strategic. Using technique you described you simply try to get around obvious system flaw.
    Walls happen when every one has the best character for the skills pulled.. also the way you'd seem to like it would be if they just removed streak boxes all together? well that would get boring really fast...

edit also some chinese guy once said something about picking your fights and the greatest victories coming from fights yo didnt have to fight, but he prolly didnt write any books about military strategy anyways

edit2 i play gauntlet aiming to get as many reward boxes as possible, if that means picking ones fights and using a different strategy from a 'smash all' guy then so what?
  • Options

Walls happen when every one has the best character for the skills pulled.. also the way you'd seem to like it would be if they just removed streak boxes all together? well that would get boring really fast...

I wasn't talking simply about walls of same characters. I was talking about walls of characters you just lost. That's particularly bothering Gauntlet feature. This game feels way, way too much predatory.

Exactly, there shouldn't be obvious best characters for this or other skill sets. This is another huge Gauntlet problem - poor skill balancing.

Why remove streaks? They are only addition to the system and quite appealing. Make system better balanced and keep streaks. No problem here.
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    I wasn't talking simply about walls of same characters. I was talking about walls of characters you just lost. That's particularly bothering Gauntlet feature. This game feels way, way too much predatory.

Exactly, there shouldn't be obvious best characters for this or other skill sets. This is another huge Gauntlet problem - poor skill balancing.

Why remove streaks? They are only addition to the system and quite appealing. Make system better balanced and keep streaks. No problem here.

oh right, well i dont lose that ofthen so i havent really seen that behaviour.

so how excatly would you go around not making one character to have the highest prof range for a certain skill pair? by making all the characters to have the same range or by making all characters good only in just one skill? then you'd have walls consisting of 2 characters instead of one..

yeah streaks are great, they let you think strategically about your fights and not just go for the highest points to get handfull of end rewards.
  • Options

oh right, well i dont lose that ofthen so i havent really seen that behaviour.

so how excatly would you go around not making one character to have the highest prof range for a certain skill pair? by making all the characters to have the same range or by making all characters good only in just one skill? then you'd have walls consisting of 2 characters instead of one..

yeah streaks are great, they let you think strategically about your fights and not just go for the highest points to get handfull of end rewards.

1. Characters like Kahless, Locutus or Bartender Guinan shouldn't exist. They are obvious balance breakers and first choices for almost every Gauntlet instance. They are too powerful in too many skills.

2. Characters with big crit chances should always have significantly smaller profficiency ranges than characters with low crit chances and vice versa.

3. There should be limitation to character choosing process. If you try to add new character and you exceed certain combined max and/or min skill profficiency level you won't be allowed to do that.

4. There should be incorporated some bonus and/or penalty system to character choosing process. If you choose characters X and Y their over all performance will raise but if you also add to your team Z character you get significant penalty.

Possibilities are endless. Gauntlet in its current form is way too simple. That's why it is so boring and irritating to play.
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I broke 7k before with Chancellor Gowron.
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I think Sulan got 45% on this one, a Sci with Brutal and Villain. My highest so far. Not nearly as high as OPs, but it was still pretty awesome, considering Kahless has 500 higher avg roll and 700 higher max roll than Sulan. Gowron is closer to Kahless, so I hope my Gowron can hit 7k sometime!7rhv5lgn7aey.png
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    1. Characters like Kahless, Locutus or Bartender Guinan shouldn't exist. They are obvious balance breakers and first choices for almost every Gauntlet instance. They are too powerful in too many skills.

2. Characters with big crit chances should always have significantly smaller profficiency ranges than characters with low crit chances and vice versa.

3. There should be limitation to character choosing process. If you try to add new character and you exceed certain combined max and/or min skill profficiency level you won't be allowed to do that.

4. There should be incorporated some bonus and/or penalty system to character choosing process. If you choose characters X and Y their over all performance will raise but if you also add to your team Z character you get significant penalty.

Possibilities are endless. Gauntlet in its current form is way too simple. That's why it is so boring and irritating to play.

1 so you want everyone to be grey mass.. why try to get better crew if every one qualifies as viable.

2 what? are you suggesting DB modifies stats on everyones crew on bi-daily basis based on some random gauntlet trait roll?? Also negates the point of collecting versatile crew, 1 crew per skill would suffice.

3 more grey mass

4 you cant seriously expect that to work 'as intended' when new crew keeps pouring in every week.

it's a mobile game, if you want something complicated try some grand strategies from Paradox...
  • Options
    1. No, I said obvious choices should be eliminated.

2. No, I said every character should be designed to follow this rule.

3. No, less power creep.

4. No, more room for creativity.

This game in its current form is less complicated than 3x3 tica tac toe. That's not good.
  • Options
    5u5187aoxucn.jpg
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭

so are you suggesting they remove the trait thing from gauntlet and instead give every crew a static crit rate? At least the current method gives variety to the gauntlets when the traits change so different crew members becomes viable choices, for example ive seen lots of tkuvmas and voqs in my current gauntlet where i rarely see them otherwise...

If it's static and every time the same, people will eventually figure out which crew members are the best choices and stick to those every single time if they have them, and after a while most will have them. Then you'll get even more walls...

• Options

so are you suggesting they remove the trait thing from gauntlet and instead give every crew a static crit rate? At least the current method gives variety to the gauntlets when the traits change so different crew members becomes viable choices, for example ive seen lots of tkuvmas and voqs in my current gauntlet where i rarely see them otherwise...

If it's static and every time the same, people will eventually figure out which crew members are the best choices and stick to those every single time if they have them, and after a while most will have them. Then you'll get even more walls...

Yes, I meant static crit rates. No, there won't be walls you try to imply as long as you follow all the rules I described, especially third and forth. Different people prefer different play styles. Some would try to maximize crit chances, others profficiency, some would try to utilize synergy, others would bet on individuality. As I said before, this game is too simple in its current shape.

You can keep trait system but these trait bonuses should be significantly reduced. They should be lower than static values.
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they could do this
    3 traits brings critical rate and another 3 raise proficiency by 25 %
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I meant static crit rates. No, there won't be walls you try to imply as long as you follow all the rules I described, especially third and forth. Different people prefer different play styles. Some would try to maximize crit chances, others profficiency, some would try to utilize synergy, others would bet on individuality. As I said before, this game is too simple in its current shape.

You can keep trait system but these trait bonuses should be significantly reduced. They should be lower than static values.

Every time I see your posts on this subject, I just think, “Why do you play this game if you think it’s too simple and different aspects of it are “broken”?”

I like this game. I think the changes you’re proposing would ruin Gauntlet for me.
  • Options
    I'm personally very disappointed with Gauntlet, I've played it many times and now it's gone to the point where it's unplayable for new or average players.

It doesn't feel as fun to win and lose to opponents when everyone is playing and re-using the same crew over and over again. It really grinds my gears every time I see Kahless, Locutus, Mirror Picard, Guinan, Phlox, Seven, etc.

This just sets a bad example and shows everyone if you want to stand any chance at winning in Gauntlet, you NEED to have a 5-star crew member like most players are using, preferably maxed out and more than one 5-star crew. Otherwise don't even bother.

And just to rub salt into the wound, it is the only mode where you can earn enough merits for Merit rewards offer a small chance of a 5-star crew member to stand a chance in the mode, really feels like a catch-22 when you want to have a decent to great crew to get competitive.

Because of this, I will not be playing any more Gauntlet any time soon, it is a shame because it does offer some good rewards like extra chronitons and necessary items.
  • Options
    pieman247 wrote: »
    I'm personally very disappointed with Gauntlet, I've played it many times and now it's gone to the point where it's unplayable for new or average players.

It doesn't feel as fun to win and lose to opponents when everyone is playing and re-using the same crew over and over again. It really grinds my gears every time I see Kahless, Locutus, Mirror Picard, Guinan, Phlox, Seven, etc.

This just sets a bad example and shows everyone if you want to stand any chance at winning in Gauntlet, you NEED to have a 5-star crew member like most players are using, preferably maxed out and more than one 5-star crew. Otherwise don't even bother.

And just to rub salt into the wound, it is the only mode where you can earn enough merits for Merit rewards offer a small chance of a 5-star crew member to stand a chance in the mode, really feels like a catch-22 when you want to have a decent to great crew to get competitive.

Because of this, I will not be playing any more Gauntlet any time soon, it is a shame because it does offer some good rewards like extra chronitons and necessary items.

I like how this account isn’t even half an hour old. :p

That said, there are some great 4* crew for gauntlet, and if you don’t have 5* crew, you probably don’t expect to rank very high anyway.
  • Options

Every time I see your posts on this subject, I just think, “Why do you play this game if you think it’s too simple and different aspects of it are “broken”?”

I like this game. I think the changes you’re proposing would ruin Gauntlet for me.

Every time I see your posts on this subject I genuinely wonder “Why are you so easily impressed by such simplistic design?”.

Ruin? Why?
  • Options
    sorinevsorinev ✭✭✭
    I think my best is in the 5700 range, which happened with Guinan during the first week she was available.

I agree the point assignment is way beyond screwed up. Two identical crew that have 10 points on the far right and 250 points on the far left just because one player is ranked higher at the moment that the other is completely bonkers. That's a noob's design mechanic right there. It should be based on the difficulty of the match. The riskier the match, the more points.

There is a bot in the discord server that calculates your odds of winning when you feed it the skill values and crit ratings of both crew. DB could easily do the same and assign points based on that. The higher your chance of winning, the fewer the points. The lower your chance of winning, the higher the points. So if you have a 82% chance of winning, that awards a lot fewer points than a match where you have a 38% chance of winning, for example.

That's just one idea out of dozens of other possibilities. This isn't hard.
    [SSR] Sorin08
  • Options

Every time I see your posts on this subject I genuinely wonder “Why are you so easily impressed by such simplistic design?”.

Ruin? Why?

Why do I need to be wowed and amazed every time I open up a game? Why do I need to be impressed?

Why can’t I just open it up, enjoy playing and leveling my crew, and do all that without going, “Oh wow this rocks! Omg! Wow!”?

That said, I am impressed.

You know what impresses me? I have a small handheld device that turns ones and zeroes into beautiful graphics, and a fun, multi-faceted online game.

I can open it up on a desktop computer, and pick up exactly where I left off.

I can see my ranks compared to other players in real time.

Ones and zeroes. That’s what this truly is, at its core.

That’s hella impressive.

Good job, human race. Seriously.

I’m not going to be the one to stand here and tell someone that their years’ worth of work, built upon a century of foundation in computer technology, is simplistic.

Because it’s not. It’s really, really, not.

Why it’d ruin it? Because it takes the variables out of it. I have a fleetmate with 421 immortals. He chooses a different set of crew each gauntlet. I see different crew each gauntlet. Sure, there are some regulars. But that’s to be expected when much of your playerbase has a limited number of crew. They level who they can.

Gauntlet is the only thing in this game based solely off of proficiencies.

Events are based on base skills (except for Expeditions, when they happen). Voyages are base plus average roll. Away team missions, both. Et cetera.

Why not let my 1/5*s out to shine? It’s a good reason to have them and level them.

If they had some sort of crit disadvantage, where’s the reason to keep and level 1/5*s who are otherwise weak in base skills?
  • Options
    [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I haven't cracked 6000 yet, but I will! I did get a Kahless all 6 crit in my last gauntlet like the OP, but he was tired after winning 2 other matches.

The points based on rank are really annoyong when trying to play for streaks and the easiest/only one to beat is the one on the far left worth the highest points.
  • Options

Ruin? Why?

Why do I need to be wowed and amazed every time I open up a game? Why do I need to be impressed?

Why can’t I just open it up, enjoy playing and leveling my crew, and do all that without going, “Oh wow this rocks! Omg! Wow!”?

You know what impresses me? I have a small handheld device that turns ones and zeroes into beautiful graphics, and a fun, multi-faceted online game.

That’s hella impressive.

I’m not going to be the one to stand here and tell someone that their years’ worth of work, built upon a century of foundation in computer technology, is simplistic.

What? Have we been drinking today? :-) BTW, this handheld device of yours runs out of gas after only few hours of gameplay, probably even faster. And this impresses you? Smartphone in its current shape is one of the most useless human inventions ever. Poor battery life, anti-ergonomic in use, mobile only by name. Indeed, you are easily impressed. :-)
  • Options

Ruin? Why?
    Why it’d ruin it? Because it takes the variables out of it. I have a fleetmate with 421 immortals. He chooses a different set of crew each gauntlet. I see different crew each gauntlet. Sure, there are some regulars. But that’s to be expected when much of your playerbase has a limited number of crew. They level who they can.

Gauntlet is the only thing in this game based solely off of proficiencies.

Events are based on base skills (except for Expeditions, when they happen). Voyages are base plus average roll. Away team missions, both. Et cetera.

Why not let my 1/5*s out to shine? It’s a good reason to have them and level them.

If they had some sort of crit disadvantage, where’s the reason to keep and level 1/5*s who are otherwise weak in base skills?

My ideas would give you far more room for creativity and made many more these variables of yours.

I meant all characters should have significantly reduced crit chances, not only 1* golds. In fact most of the crew should have zero or almost zero static crit chances. Then your unique 1* golds with let's say 5% crit chance would still be valuable.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Ruin? Why?

That’s hella impressive.

What? Have we been drinking today? :-) BTW, this handheld device of yours runs out of gas after only few hours of gameplay, probably even faster. And this impresses you? Smartphone in its current shape is one of the most useless human inventions ever. Poor battery life, anti-ergonomic in use, mobile only by name. Indeed, you are easily impressed. :-)

Wait, what?

I hold in my hand an object that can access all of the knowledge of mankind and also a lot of cat pictures, and that isn’t impressively amazing?

Edit: I don’t know what you’re doing with your smartphone, but mine does not run on gas. :p

Also, um, I can think of more useless inventions. Bacon chapstick, for one.
  • Options

Ruin? Why?

That’s hella impressive.

Wait, what?

I hold in my hand an object that can access all of the knowledge of mankind and also a lot of cat pictures, and that isn’t impressively amazing?

Edit: I don’t know what you’re doing with your smartphone, but mine does not run on gas. :p

Also, um, I can think of more useless inventions. Bacon chapstick, for one.

Try to read this knowledge of mankind in bright, sunny day. ;P

Mine runs on nuclear fuel and it's still not enough. :-)

Agreed, humanity is very efficient in producing useless inventions.
  • Options
    Whatever you're both arguing about seems obnoxious.

I wish Gauntlet is more balanced and not so biased. Maybe it should have a progression like Arena does, that would be interesting.