Home The Bridge

Events are getting boring.

2»

Comments

• <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Navarch wrote: »
    I’d like to see 2 smaller events per week. One would run from Friday midday to Monday midday and be similar to the events we currently have. The other would be a one day replay of an older event, preferably on Wednesdays.
    Two events per week?? god no. Burnout is already bad enough.

Agreed. As someone who doesn’t have most past event crew FF, I would feel obligated to participate in both.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don t agree,but i would like to see more expedtion events. Of course they are not for lazy ppl, i understand. :p
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don t agree,but i would like to see more expedtion events. Of course they are not for lazy ppl, i understand. :p

Or people who work 60hrs a week
  • pbertpbert ✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Expedition events require some thought the first time through. Even then if you have sufficiently good bonus crew its not that bad. After that it can be a bit tedious.

Galaxies need to up the number of items needed per build. I don't mind them but the tapping has gotten too monotonous.

I would like to see a new kind of event but my limited imagination is incapable of thinking of one. That's why I give DB my sweet, sweet monthly card money.

Totally agree. Removing the random nature of the critical rewards was on the whole a good move, but it made them even more repetitious than they already were.

I think I've thrown this out here before: but I think they should randomize or at least add some variety to the nodes per ticket. They don't even need to bother writing text for each node, just a start mission and end mission blurb (how many of us read them, anyway?).

It would make it seem more like an expedition, frankly, with random challenges thrown at your crew as you explore. That way it would require thought & strategy for every ticket.

• I am kinda surprised that nothing has been introduced yet. I know I have seen people on forums asking for more event variety back before the ditched expedition events. Obviously not a shining example of being in touch with your player base.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    Expedition events require actual strategy and thought vs the absolute mind numbing actions of galaxies.... It is completely baffling to me that expeditions aren't used more often

It’s an illusion. Expedition events are repetitious, just like galaxy events.

The one benefit that expedition events have over galaxy events is that expedition events have nostalgia goggles.

I've wanted a new expedition since before the last one ended.. no goggles here.

A full one btw, not one of these 3 mission watered down hybrid things.

.. I'd settle for the hybrid, but nothing beats the real thing.
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    3) Some 4* crew is better than FF 5* crew in Admiral division
    4*? Ahahahahahahah. I just replaced Kang on my 5* ship. He was regular there for 3/4 of the year I'm playing and not because I lack 4* and even 5* crew. But because he was 8 seconds of initialization with big attack boost.
  • GAWAGAWA ✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »
    I’d like to see 2 smaller events per week. One would run from Friday midday to Monday midday and be similar to the events we currently have. The other would be a one day replay of an older event, preferably on Wednesdays.
    Two events per week?? god no. Burnout is already bad enough.

Presumably not even DB could fit in 2 4-day events in a week.
  • Have anyone on DB team actually tried to play this game by themselves?

This game feels like my 2nd job....

It is supposed to be an entertainment and relaxing activity for me. Spent money and feel worse with what’s going on.

All the fixes are just skin deep. Nothing fundamentally changes in the past 6 months.

Winter is coming..... It is almost time for me to retire from this game.

I can’t relate to that. This game has a underdeveloped story mode. I always assumed that’s at least partly because they don’t want to do item drop analysis with each new mission. Events have needed work for a long time as well as the rewards structure. Gauntlet and voyages were both interesting band-aids, but they do not address the real problems which are RNG EVERYTHING and very little if any event creativity among others. If there was a good mobile star trek game i would definitely consider switching over. However it would be just as well if not better if this game which I have already invested in listened to the voice of the masses and made some changes.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Also I don’t know how anyone affords to buy packs when Crew slot prices are so expensive.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    And yeah, it would surely be nice to just have a week to level up crew received from those events. Getting two or three new cards every week is more work than fun.

Just sit out an event sometimes, only do some basics in it. And you can do exactly that. By your postings I see that you have a deep rooster by now. Make choices. Ask yourself if you really like/want a card and/or it improves your crew. I found most of the characters since the last mega lacklustre and so I used the last weeks to build up resources, level up some crew of my wanting etc.

P.S.: Did you manage the Top 25 finish in the end for the last event? You played it hardcore, so I hope your effort got rewarded :)

• JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I don’t know how anyone affords to buy packs when Crew slot prices are so expensive.

By immortalizing crew and sending them to the freezer...
  • Also I don’t know how anyone affords to buy packs when Crew slot prices are so expensive.

Yes which is only usually possible for 1/3 new crew each event without buying packs or placing first. So you have to spend to save.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I don’t know how anyone affords to buy packs when Crew slot prices are so expensive.

Yes which is only usually possible for 1/3 new crew each event without buying packs or placing first. So you have to spend to save.

Or 2/3 in a galaxy.
  • They require more writing, planning and coding due to their uniqueness I'd imagine.

Also they make less money.

I feel like they make less money because players don't want to take the time and effort to figure out how to play them well. Galaxy and Faction events are, as several people mentioned, mind-numbingly simple. Send-them-and-forget-them Faction events, and clickety-click-click-waste-all-your-items Galaxy events. If more players could be invested in Expedition events, I think they would make MORE money than at least the Faction events because of the direct need for the event crew.

For instance, if you don't have the event crew in an Expedition event, your points are capped, whereas if you DO have them, you can earn extra VP which makes a difference in the end. On Faction missions, you can earn the VP at your current level even if you don't have the event crew, or even the bonus crew. Event crew for Galaxy missions are almost unnecessary, as in my experience, I almost always get a rare item no matter the percentage.

Sure, Expedition events are a time investment because you have to play them all the way through to start over, and a thinking player's event because of the strategy involved, but isn't that why we play? To be challenged?

Most of all though, they're different. It's a relief to be able to play in an event where I THINK I might actually win something of value, even if I don't.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a relief to be able to play in an event where I THINK I might actually win something of value, even if I don't.

This last bit is the reason that a lot of the people who support expeditions want them back, because they don't mind the form of repetition in the event, they have a better chance of getting the prizes.

Of course the reason this is the case is because the regular player base just opts out for those events. The fact that you are more competitive in the event is linked to why DB doesn't run them as often anymore.
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    It's a relief to be able to play in an event where I THINK I might actually win something of value, even if I don't.

This last bit is the reason that a lot of the people who support expeditions want them back, because they don't mind the form of repetition in the event, they have a better chance of getting the prizes.

Of course the reason this is the case is because the regular player base just opts out for those events. The fact that you are more competitive in the event is linked to why DB doesn't run them as often anymore.

Well when extra tickets are given no repetition is needed other than critting the VP nodes. There is just as much repetition in an Expedition that in the other types when all you do is hit the crit nodes and out. Since the VP varies, if you have a deep bench and thus bonus crew you get higher scores and do better.

The fact that folks think that they have to grind and grind and grind each ticket is both hilarious and sad.

• Thurthorad wrote: »

Competitiveness should be one of the biggest factors in what events are run. Of course, I say SHOULD. Also, the repetition in galaxy and faction events is much greater I think. People still play them like they're going out of style. Faction events are ok, but I'll only play to the rewards in some galaxy events and skip a lot of them entirely because of the repetition.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    For those with work and limited time I feel faction event is actually the worst. I can no longer compete in them due to missing probably like 8 sendouts during the event. Even with sitting slaved to the device for 5 days top 1000 would be doubtful for me because people love sending the shuttles. Wow it's freeeeeee I love to send them!!!!!!

But with the galaxy and expedition I set my own schedule and can claim the top 1000 prize if I wish. They have the monetization for the galaxy. They need to monetize the expedition in a similar manner so they will actually run it.

Then we need at least another type of event. I'm down with ship battles.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Well when extra tickets are given no repetition is needed other than critting the VP nodes. There is just as much repetition in an Expedition that in the other types when all you do is hit the crit nodes and out. Since the VP varies, if you have a deep bench and thus bonus crew you get higher scores and do better.

The fact that folks think that they have to grind and grind and grind each ticket is both hilarious and sad.

Grinding each ticket is exactly what I had to do in the last Expedition event to make sure I hit all the threshold rewards. I really needed those ISS Defiant schematics and ended up barreling through four hours of utterly mind-numbing tapping. The problem is that Expeditions require the same amount of tapping as a Galaxy but you have to think a lot harder, plan out which crew you’re using on each mission and on which nodes so you don’t make a mistake and tire them out early.

I’ve only actually tried in one Galaxy event (hybrid or full) in maybe six months and it didn’t seem half as horrid as that hybrid Expedition event over Christmas. At least the criticals were guaranteed...I never would have bothered to go past the recurring character threshold if it weren’t for that. Non-guaranteed criticals don’t “make the event more strategic,” they make Expedition events even more wholly unplayable than they already are.

Grinding each ticket is exactly what I had to do in the last Expedition event to make sure I hit all the threshold rewards. I really needed those ISS Defiant schematics and ended up barreling through four hours of utterly mind-numbing tapping. The problem is that Expeditions require the same amount of tapping as a Galaxy but you have to think a lot harder, plan out which crew you’re using on each mission and on which nodes so you don’t make a mistake and tire them out early.

I’ve only actually tried in one Galaxy event (hybrid or full) in maybe six months and it didn’t seem half as horrid as that hybrid Expedition event over Christmas. At least the criticals were guaranteed...I never would have bothered to go past the recurring character threshold if it weren’t for that. Non-guaranteed criticals don’t “make the event more strategic,” they make Expedition events even more wholly unplayable than they already are.

I think putting the hour time limit per ticket would actually alleviate some of the pain as you'd be forced not to keep grinding down all your characters, just use all the tickets.

The Christmas event was a special case where they gave us too many tickets.
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Yeah, no. IIRC in previous event I did last 12 tickets consecutively. It was around 6-8 hours to do that (including small breaks - and I mean it when I say small, just plenty of them). Around end of third hour I started with crazy laugh and singing silly songs - so even 6 tickets are a big attack on my psyche. Why I didn't stopped to do it later after it became this bad? I knew that I wouldn't return to next 6 tickets if I'll do that. And I did want Crusher and that was a good thing as I missed on Troi because of oversleeping.

And that was ONLY hitting VP nodes, I tried and noped out of grinding in earlier run.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think putting the hour time limit per ticket would actually alleviate some of the pain as you'd be forced not to keep grinding down all your characters, just use all the tickets.

Given the choice of one hour ticket with no pause, and unlimited duration, I'll take unlimited all day long.

For me at least, the old one hour tickets created more of a sense of obligation to grind the full hour, because there was an end. With unlimited, I know that it will only end when I decide to end it, so it seems that the diminishing returns aren't worth it.

Not to mention the freedom of doing it at your own pace. Telling your spouse that you'll be busy for an hour because of a time limited event in a mobile game may not be a good idea.
    edited March 2018
    al103 wrote: »

Yeah, no. IIRC in previous event I did last 12 tickets consecutively. It was around 6-8 hours to do that (including small breaks - and I mean it when I say small, just plenty of them). Around end of third hour I started with crazy laugh and singing silly songs - so even 6 tickets are a big attack on my psyche. Why I didn't stopped to do it later after it became this bad? I knew that I wouldn't return to next 6 tickets if I'll do that. And I did want Crusher and that was a good thing as I missed on Troi because of oversleeping.

And that was ONLY hitting VP nodes, I tried and noped out of grinding in earlier run.

I think it's been beat to death on this one. The last Expedition had too many tickets as DB gave out extras in an attempt to compensate for their other oops.

That's not a normal expedition. That's DB screwing with the event. Normal is 3 tickets/day
  • I hope expeditions do come back, in very small doses. Lile 1/4 or so. What we really need are better new types events. It would be awesome if they brought in at least three new types that offered something besides RNG clicking. A fleet battle for DS9 or against a cube mothership would cool. Definitely something to do with our ships would be fun for 1 or 2 of them.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of expeditions, but I do agree that they can get tiring around day three or so. I think the one or two we had as part of hybrid events were ideal...shorter in both time and taps & less work for the writers. Hopefully our upcoming spring and summer megas will feature at least half an expedition.
  • I'm of the mindset that an Event is something that *isn't* the norm and therefore kinda special. If it lasts for most of the week, it stops being an Event. Kinda like if the weekend lasted most of the week, would it still be a weekend? Or like a particular show that is now no longer on the air which seemed to have a "Special Episode" every week. When they happen every week, they stop being special.
    With the kick-start for factions being nerffed, a two day Event might not work out so well but if, like Belle'Anna said, it was spread out two days each over two weekends it would still work out fine (assuming there weren't any screw ups in implementation).
    I personally skip Expeditions for the most part for several reasons but it would be nice to see a new Event type to add tothe rotation that's not as reliant on RNG, chrons (or other forms of currency) or equipment inventories.
    [DCC] bebe
    Privileged to be Admiral of the Great Fleet
    Dilithium Causes Cancer, maxed Starbase level 134
    Featuring photonic flee free holodecks and
    All you can drink Neelix's Even Better Than Coffee Substitute!