Home The Bridge
Options

Yet another month and mega event with no expedition

Seriously DB just tell us you have killed expeditions for good or something so I don't have to hope that one pops up.

Comments

• Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if they revamped expeditions, I'd be more keen on them. But like Mono said, the Mirror Mega really burned expeditions.

DB really needs to come up with a 4th or 5th type of event style though, it's getting quite stale to be sending out shuttles or just tap-tap-tap and build items and use up precious chrons and components.
    Maybe give us a gauntlet style event where we have to use individual crew members to beat the villain characters of the event.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the only thing I really like about expedition events is that they're different. Otherwise I find them to be a big time sink, and eventually become just as repetitive as Galaxy. You figure out your strategy once, and then repeat over and over and over again.

I'd like to have a third event type, but it doesn't have to be expeditions
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    I would't mind a re-run of "The Game's Afoot". Other than that I could take or leave expeditions. I would really like Faction events to go back to the way they were. They are REALLY killing the fun there.
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just gonna keep popping my head up and saying "Voyage Event"

That is all
  • Options

That is all

I could go for that! If they find a way to make ships relevant then maybe people will buy the "Sail the Starry Skies" offer.... wait... no. No they won't. Please take this offer out of rotation DB. Plz? KTHXBYE
  • Options
    Without disagreeing, since I do love Expedition events, I really appreciate the staggering of the event types for this Mega. Faction, Galaxy, Faction, Hybrid means we have time to build our supplies for each type. Especially given that this week is a Galaxy, it means we can reload on boosts this week, reload on chrons next week, and so on. I'm a big fan of not having similar event types back to back. Nothing you can do about the Hybrid, since it will be back to back with one type either way.
  • Options
    Monolithix wrote: »
    I used to be an expedition advocate, but after the mirror mega, even putting the problems aside, the time commitment just doesn’t make it fun.

Same here. I was one of those weirdos who didn't mind running the same node two or three times to get the critical hit. I felt like it kinda evened out the playing field a little bit. You had to figure out which crew you could possibly sacrifice, and plan accordingly.

Now that you can crit the node on the first try, with the points depending on whether you're using the exact event crew, related event crew, or any other crew, there's a fixed limit to how many points you can earn in an Expedition event (assuming you don't buy any extra tickets).

There's no thought to it at all, it comes down to how good your crew is, and how many matching crew you have. For every node you don't get max points on, you're just going to fall further behind.

After the Mirror Mega-Event, I never want to play another Expedition event again.
  • Options

That is all

Also a space battle even with revamped space battle mechanics

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I really dislike expeditions. Also db makes little money from them as few buy extra tickets. They also seem to be buggy. Keep skipping them expeditions db! Also, there was an expedition half in the mirror universe event.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ship battles event. Voyages event. Gauntlet event.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is all

^ THIS - some sort of ship battle expedition perhaps, where you have to use several of your ships, which fatigue every time you use them, to fight off say a "Borg invasion" maybe....?
  • Options
    No complaints here :)

Likewise.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

That is all

There is never going to be a voyage event until they find a way to monetize voyages better. By that I mean monetize them so a whale can buy their way to the top. The current monetization of just extending a voyage would be available to anyone and wouldn’t really benefit a whale any more more than a low spender.

The problem with voyages is there is no way to speed your way to a dilemma like you can with a shuttle. As soon as they introduce a mechanism that allows you to pay dilithium to jump immediately to the next dilemma, rather than wait 2 hours, I’ll expect to see a voyage event. But with a built-in two hour span between dilemmas, there is no way a voyage event would work, fiscally speaking.

Plus imagine how rage inducing it would be. People get upset when a shuttle fails that had a 95% chance of success. Imagine the rage when you run out of antimatter simply because you weren’t able to be on at the right time. I mean, seriously, how many times have you abandoned a voyage simply because you ran out of antimatter and it wasn’t worth the dilithium. Now imagine that as part of an event

• Options
    das411 wrote: »

That is all

^ THIS - some sort of ship battle expedition perhaps, where you have to use several of your ships, which fatigue every time you use them, to fight off say a "Borg invasion" maybe....?

I posted a proposed format here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/comment/64735#Comment_64735

Not saying it has to be that way, but I think it'd be fun.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Monolithix wrote: »
    I used to be an expedition advocate, but after the mirror mega, even putting the problems aside, the time commitment just doesn’t make it fun.

Same here. I was one of those weirdos who didn't mind running the same node two or three times to get the critical hit. I felt like it kinda evened out the playing field a little bit. You had to figure out which crew you could possibly sacrifice, and plan accordingly.

Now that you can crit the node on the first try, with the points depending on whether you're using the exact event crew, related event crew, or any other crew, there's a fixed limit to how many points you can earn in an Expedition event (assuming you don't buy any extra tickets).

There's no thought to it at all, it comes down to how good your crew is, and how many matching crew you have. For every node you don't get max points on, you're just going to fall further behind.

After the Mirror Mega-Event, I never want to play another Expedition event again.

The reason they changed that (and it was changed months prior) was due to it normally taking more than two or three times to receive the reward on a node even with crew that were overqualified and Criting that node left and right. You could run it ten times and not get the reward. A Crit was not a guarantee on the reward, so you had to run it as many times as necessary until the RNG finally granted it to you, and then you had to do it for every other node in the event. Many people complained and DB finally did something about it. The RNG in Gauntlet is really tame compared to running all of your crew into the ground and not receiving the rewards for it just because the RNG was far too random on that front.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to like expedition events too. That mirror mega debacle sure cured me of that. I personally don't ever want to have to play an expedition event again. I'm all for new event types though.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have only played one expedition event, and my experience of it was not good.

It needed planning ahead, thinking things through, making sure I did not waste crew needed for later.
    In the end I built a small spreadsheet of which crew I needed, which for each run of the mission.
    This might be good for a desktop game, but not a mobile game intended to be played for a few minutes occasionally throughout the day. I cannot lug my laptop around to play a mobile game.

I think voyages are a possibility, but one I am not keen on. I cannot keep my eyes glued to the screen to get max VP before AM runs out at work. If shuttles return after three hours, and I check ten minutes later then I can claim. If my ship blows up I lose everything. There is also the issue of dilemmas occurring overnight. So there would have to be a change in the voyage mechanism before this.

Voyages could be monetised. Whales would pay dil for extensions and faster returns. Whales would also pay for event crew packs, DYC and to level the crew before the event.

There was a recent discussion about how to implement voyage events.
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/comment/61872
  • Options
    pbertpbert ✭✭✭
    I agree expedition could use some work, but frankly I agree the 2 event types have grown stale. It would be nice to have something else, and I think they worked in the hybrid format so you only did 3 sets of missions.

And the biggest personal reason to want another expedition: I have 6 tickets that I had no opportunity to use waiting. Every week without an expedition is just reminding me of the Reflections debacle. I bet I'm not alone in this, either.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

It needed planning ahead, thinking things through, making sure I did not waste crew needed for later.
    In the end I built a small spreadsheet of which crew I needed, which for each run of the mission.
    This might be good for a desktop game, but not a mobile game intended to be played for a few minutes occasionally throughout the day. I cannot lug my laptop around to play a mobile game.

I think voyages are a possibility, but one I am not keen on. I cannot keep my eyes glued to the screen to get max VP before AM runs out at work. If shuttles return after three hours, and I check ten minutes later then I can claim. If my ship blows up I lose everything. There is also the issue of dilemmas occurring overnight. So there would have to be a change in the voyage mechanism before this.

Voyages could be monetised. Whales would pay dil for extensions and faster returns. Whales would also pay for event crew packs, DYC and to level the crew before the event.

I must be an expedition savant, as I was able to do most of the mission planning in my head.
    Really the only characters you need to track are event and bonus crew unless you're f2p or really small crew.

Also if the game was only intended to be played a few minutes occasionally throughout the day, there would not be galaxy events, only faction would fall under that parameter, checking in for a few minutes every 3 hours.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

I must be an expedition savant, as I was able to do most of the mission planning in my head.
    Really the only characters you need to track are event and bonus crew unless you're f2p or really small crew.

Also if the game was only intended to be played a few minutes occasionally throughout the day, there would not be galaxy events, only faction would fall under that parameter, checking in for a few minutes every 3 hours.

psst - no spreadsheet needed at all: after your first expedition ticket, you can use all of the bonus crew first on the highest value nodes, AND then again as they fatigue on the lower value nodes B)B)
  • Options
    I know I'm in the minority, but I do enjoy expeditions. Worst of all, I was traveling last Christmas, so I wasn't able to really compete in the last one. Though that may explain why I still enjoy expeditions.
  • Options
    I really like expedition events, its the only event i have been able to nab a legendary as ranked rewards, but i have pretty much given up ever seeing them.
  • Options
    Yes , bring back expeditions at least as part of a hybrid.

it gives us some variety.

1 very easy change: only give 2 free tickets per day. less required playing, more incentive to buy more tickets.
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking they could introduce some kind of five-a-side soccer event, but of course it would be horribly tilted in favor of those who have The Keeper.
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    I was thinking they could introduce some kind of five-a-side soccer event, but of course it would be horribly tilted in favor of those who have The Keeper.

Maybe when the World Cup starts they will make one Soccer event with Footballer Worf, Golanga and someone else.
  • Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    I too miss expedition events. The variety would certainly be welcome. And I for one really enjoyed the thinking and planning part :-)

At least they could be part of a mega event only, so the people who do not like them don't get bothered too much. For me, a mega event is not really a mega event without the expedition part ;-)
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expedition events were a fun alternative for many, although the unlocked node ruleset bothers me. I love the insta crit rule though. that added to the ORIGINAL ruleset would have been the best.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!