Home Make It So!
Options

Aspect Ratio in Starfleet Communiques

Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Make It So!
Please stop squashing the aspect ratio of the images in the Starfleet Communiques pop-up windows. It's painful to look at. Only bad people post things in the wrong aspect ratio.

em4jmrcbw8r5.png
Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is so not that serious
  • Options
    When taken together with all the other disastrous display changes that came with that update, yeah it is kind of serious. And still no word if they ever intend to address those issues.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catpain wrote: »
    When taken together with all the other disastrous display changes that came with that update, yeah it is kind of serious. And still no word if they ever intend to address those issues.

I guess I would need it explained to me why it is serious. At this point I don’t understand why
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

I guess I would need it explained to me why it is serious. At this point I don’t understand why

Because:
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Only bad people post things in the wrong aspect ratio.

Or did you sit out the OAR vs. Pan & Scan War of the late 90's? Things looked grim at the outset, but we fought and fought until finally we shifted the paradigm to where it should always have been, as intended by nature, and it is a slap in the face to all the veterans of that war for DB to go and squish the artwork in their landing page. THAT'S NOT WHY WE FOUGHT!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because:

Or did you sit out the OAR vs. Pan & Scan War of the late 90's? Things looked grim at the outset, but we fought and fought until finally we shifted the paradigm to where it should always have been, as intended by nature, and it is a slap in the face to all the veterans of that war for DB to go and squish the artwork in their landing page. THAT'S NOT WHY WE FOUGHT!

I’m sorry but I don’t know what that is, but if it is that serious then I will admit that I don’t have enough information to continue this discussion and respectfully bow out.

• Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Here, allow me to try to demonstrate using the post of your lovely home from the "View from your window" thread I was just reading through. (https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/4705)

955wqc6es6o0.png

Doesn't that feel terribly "off" to you?

Maybe it doesn't - I know some people similarly don't mind watching 4:3 images stretched on 16:9 TV sets. I've always been curious if there's maybe something biological, the way cilantro tastes like soap to some folks.

Edit: And now I'm in a Google rabbit hole trying to find out if this is actually a thing.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here, allow me to try to demonstrate using the post of your lovely home from the "View from your window" thread I was just reading through. (https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/4705)

955wqc6es6o0.png

Doesn't that feel terribly "off" to you?

Maybe it doesn't - I know some people similarly don't mind watching 4:3 images stretched on 16:9 TV sets. I've always been curious if there's maybe something biological, the way cilantro tastes like soap to some folks.

Edit: And now I'm in a Google rabbit hole trying to find out if this is actually a thing.

I suppose the reason I didn’t see it as serious was because that particular screen was something I would just pass by and not really give a glance to anyway. If the game itself were like that then yes I would not enjoy that but that screen that is stretched isn’t something I spend any time looking at anyway

• Options

Because:

I’m sorry but I don’t know what that is, but if it is that serious then I will admit that I don’t have enough information to continue this discussion and respectfully bow out.

Well, I was being overly dramatic for comedic effect there, but the actual Original Aspect Ratio vs. Pan & Scan competition really was a thing. How serious it was varied widely depending on who you asked. Some were indifferent. Some actually preferred watching things cropped from 16:9 to 4:3 because they didn't like the black bars at the top and bottom of their screens. Those of us who weren't unruly heathens were aghast at the butchering of the work of artists as they intended it to be seen.

Anyway, after enduring frequent debates with people trying to get them to understand what they were sacrificing so as to avoid the inconvenience of those black bars has made some of us sensitive (perhaps overly so) to such things ever since, which is why @Shy Khan and I (and I'm sure, others) process the squished image even as we try to x past it as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because:

Well, I was being overly dramatic for comedic effect there, but the actual Original Aspect Ratio vs. Pan & Scan competition really was a thing. How serious it was varied widely depending on who you asked. Some were indifferent. Some actually preferred watching things cropped from 16:9 to 4:3 because they didn't like the black bars at the top and bottom of their screens. Those of us who weren't unruly heathens were aghast at the butchering of the work of artists as they intended it to be seen.

Anyway, after enduring frequent debates with people trying to get them to understand what they were sacrificing so as to avoid the inconvenience of those black bars has made some of us sensitive (perhaps overly so) to such things ever since, which is why @Shy Khan and I (and I'm sure, others) process the squished image even as we try to x past it as quickly as possible.

I think I get it now. I can safely say I HATE the black bars. Give me the other way any day

• Options
    I've always thought stretching images was worse than pan and scan.

Aspect ratios should never be changed. The worst thing about it is we have 4k tv's now and even some channels don't understand quality tv's mean having the highest quality picture possible is the goal. Distorting the picture to make it fit the screen is contrary to that goal.
  • Options

Because:

I think I get it now. I can safely say I HATE the black bars. Give me the other way any day

BLOCKED.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because:

BLOCKED.

Oh no! Now I may not get your 5,000 word essays

• Options

Because:

BLOCKED.

Ha! Nice. (You do know I was teasing, right?)
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because:

BLOCKED.

Ha! Nice. (You do know I was teasing, right?)

Same here bro. Guess we are even. I now extend my hand to shake yours, and promise not to pull a Mirror Cochrane move.

• Options
    So, yeah, this seems to have happened all over the client for me with the update a few months back that redid the UI to supposedly improve support for wider aspect ratios.

Except I'm using a normal 1080 monitor.

And it's not just images like those, it's also the 3D scene:

67usb2zwfr34.png