Home The Bridge

Idea: Scan-only crew

Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
Scans?
Blah! Blegh! Pah! Ptooey! Ew! Yuck! Bah humbug! Boring!!!

In a recent poll asking players' least favourite daily task of the game, scans ranked as the second least liked and even though some people voted for other tasks, many comments about the dislike of scans were still quite prolific. Comments about scans often described them as monotonous, unimportant, inefficient, and a general waste of time. An interesting fact about scans is that they can be purchased with dilithium and players with higher VIP levels can purchase more scans per day; however, the damning reality is no one ever purchases extra scans. And why would they? The people have spoken, scans are not worth anything and are relatively meaningless.

So how can we the players enjoy this game feature more and how can this feature become more prominent as well as profitable for all (DB included)?

Now featuring: Scan-only crew!

Scan-only crew would act much like Voyage-only crew, except of course these crew are only available through performing scans. Each scan is a chance to receive a special and unique crew member. Scan-only crew may even become challenging by implementing various conditions for attainability such as ship used, location scanned, or even crew possessed. The possibilities are many!

Below, I have brainstormed up some fun, exciting, and positively unique scan-only crew. Have a look and share your thoughts!

h8a4uksnq9tu.png
Prisoner Sito Jaxa - from TNG: The Lower Decks
★★★
DIP (1), SEC (2)
Bajoran, Starfleet, Federation, Undercover Operative, Prisoner, Crafty

h01hrr46337a.jpg
EV Suit Spock - from TOS: The Motion Picture
★★★★
SCI (1), COM (2), SEC (3)
Human, Vulcan, Starfleet, Federation, Musician, Astrophysicist

ktenwxjm9yyz.jpg
Marayna - from VOY: Alter Ego
★★★★
DIP (1), ENG (2), SCI (3)
Hologram, Astrophysicist, Cyberneticist, Desperate, Romantic

zjx7ku2r0dj4.jpg
Lieutenant John Kelly - from VOY: One Small Step
★★★★
COM (1), ENG (2)
Human, Cultural Figure, Explorer, Astronaut, Pilot, Desperate

e28e893egtk2.jpg
John Doe - from TNG: Transfigurations
★★★★
MED (1), SCI (2), DIP (3)
Zalkonian, Caregiver, Criminal, Amnesiac, Resourceful, Desperate

a2mtrjz9qgma.jpg
Yedrin Dax - from DS9: Children of Time
★★★★
ENG (1), SCI (2), COM (3)
Trill, Saboteur, Innovator, Gardener, Quantum Mechanics, Theoretical Engineer

kitsbbfq3oil.jpg
Silver-Blood Seven - from VOY: Course: Oblivion
★★★★
SCI (1), ENG (2)
Silver-Blood, Human, Borg, Shapeshifter, Clone, Federation, Astrophysicist, Quantum Mechanics

ufwif4ett6gh.jpg
Onaya - from DS9: The Muse
★★★★★
DIP (1), MED (2), SEC (3)
Muse, Artist, Writer, Musician, Inspiring, Survivalist, Crafty, Resourceful

e5ztqzt0yyn7.png
Sphere Builder - from ENT: Harbinger, and The Council
★★★★★
ENG (1), COM (2), SEC (3)
Sphere Builder, Cultural Figure, Villain, Temporal Agent, Quantum Mechanics, Brutal

gp3qjshitamr.jpg
Crystalline Entity - from TNG: Datalore, and Silicon Avatar
★★★★★
SEC (1), SCI (2), DIP (3)
Cosmic Lifeform, Communicator, Saboteur, Brutal, Survivalist
Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.

Comments

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea, Gaghgagh! Scans are totally useless and worthless now (other than for getting the Ktarian Headset), so this would be a great new addition to the game — not to mention a new source of profit for DB, as people would be a lot more inclined to pay for extra scans.

And very interesting crew choices you came up with there, as well!

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I read this, I imagined that there is a 'scan' slot you put a crew member on, who scans and picks up debris. The better they are, the more value you pick up.

However, your idea is infinitely more exciting and you've highlighted some awesome crew! I dig it. A lot.

Mwah, thank you <3
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Great idea, Gaghgagh! Scans are totally useless and worthless now (other than for getting the Ktarian Headset), so this would be a great new addition to the game — not to mention a new source of profit for DB, as people would be a lot more inclined to pay for extra scans.

It was fun coming up with them. I also am considering the idea of Species 8472, Sha-Ka-Ree, and the famed Bajoran poet Akorem Laan. Mainly I wanted to come up with people or beings you'd encounter that are either non-corporeal beings, cosmic lifeforms, are beyond the normal limits of space, are in places requiring scans to find, or are people lost in space.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    When I read this, I imagined that there is a 'scan' slot you put a crew member on, who scans and picks up debris. The better they are, the more value you pick up.

However, your idea is infinitely more exciting and you've highlighted some awesome crew! I dig it. A lot.

Mwah, thank you <3
    Data1001 wrote: »

It was fun coming up with them. I also am considering the idea of Species 8472, Sha-Ka-Ree, and the famed Bajoran poet Akorem Laan. Mainly I wanted to come up with people or beings you'd encounter that are either non-corporeal beings, cosmic lifeforms, are beyond the normal limits of space, are in places requiring scans to find, or are people lost in space.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who scanned regula for 2 years, please no lol
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s a fun idea for taking a game feature that isn’t quite stale or boring so much as totally meaningless and turning it into something interesting.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I have the stupid headset it is true that scans should do more. Especially because of the 3 a day requirement. Atleast ads can be used.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full disclosure, I don't feel like I'd ever spend dilithium on more scans anyway - but I would totally park around whatever planet I had to to chase special crew, so from a player engagement point of view it works for me. I love the idea of having the Crystalline Entity be a bridge officer too, like would it shrink down to humanoid-sized, or would you just stick a really big combadge on it and have it fly alongside the ship?
    Magisse wrote: »
    As long as they're not "one time drop only", like the Voyage crew, forcing you to then spend Honor on them if you want to FF.

I was thinking they shouldn't be one time only. Due to the likely rarity of the drop anyway, collecting all however many there were would take so many scans that, collecting all of them would take luck, dedication, or in DB's strongest interest...dilithium. I'm trying to sell the idea here as you can see :p
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never has an "Awesome" been so well-deserved. What about the Cytherian from The Nth Degree?

Also, as if I only just learned about the Ktarian Headset...I guess I have to stop pitching Lefler and Crusher.
  • Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    My first thought is NO!

My second thought is "You know what? Why not? It wouldn't be the worst thing DB has done."
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • John Kelly would be perfect honestly
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prisoner Ash Tyler. Just after the Terrans have tried to rxecute him by beaming him into space, and Discovery beams him aboard.
  • I love this idea as well. Scans has just become a button I push when it comes available. Total waste.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about adding Jhamel and Eris into the scan crew? Jhamel could be scanned at Andoria and Eris at the Founder's Homeworld. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • RogaDanarRogaDanar ✭✭✭
    If the characters could not be fully fused through this process (aka if they are one time only) I would be against this.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    Why not require us to have to pick one of our active crew to go on "Scan Duty" and they become unavailable the same way shuttles and voyages do.

I like the idea, but why not tie it to the ship you are already using for ship battle missions. e.g. The only way to get Prisoner Ash Tyler is by scanning with the USS Discovery. Sphere builder would be recruited by scanning with the NX01.

If you don't like DIS, then you can choose never to have the chance of getting Tyler. It would also let you concentrate on one scan character at a time.

Every time a new ship is brought out, a new scan character could be added, with the chance of getting the character increasing with ship level. This would monetarise the feature for DB.
  • When I read this, I imagined that there is a 'scan' slot you put a crew member on, who scans and picks up debris. The better they are, the more value you pick up.

Well, you could also incorporate both ideas. Create a scanning station where you can put any crew member and then press the scan button. As was said earlier, who you use, combined with what ship you’re in, and even where you are, could all determine who or what you might get when scanning. Great idea!

Oh, one thing though, this should be in Make It So, though I’m sure it’ll get more attention on the Bridge, it still needs to be where someone at DB might see it. Any thoughts, @Shan ?
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
    edited April 2018

Well, you could also incorporate both ideas. Create a scanning station where you can put any crew member and then press the scan button. As was said earlier, who you use, combined with what ship you’re in, and even where you are, could all determine who or what you might get when scanning. Great idea!

Oh, one thing though, this should be in Make It So, though I’m sure it’ll get more attention on the Bridge, it still needs to be where someone at DB might see it. Any thoughts, @Shan ?

Yes, I knew it should be in Make It So, but I wanted to launch the thread here just so people could get a first take on it. The Bridge is likely our most used part of the forums. My plan was to @ Shan later on and see if she could move it fresh to Make It So after a few days.
  • When I read this, I imagined that there is a 'scan' slot you put a crew member on, who scans and picks up debris. The better they are, the more value you pick up.

Yes, I knew it should be in Make It So, but I wanted to launch the thread here just so people could get a first take on it. The Bridge is likely our most used part of the forums. My plan was to @ Shan later on and see if she could move it fresh to Make It So after a few days.

Okie dokie. Sounds good.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • SiblinSiblin ✭✭✭
    I like it. I don’t think we can expect dB to throw 4*/5* crew at us like candy but even if it’s mainly common and uncommon as long as they are unique it provides some entertainment, people for the cryo mausoleum or at very least a tiny bit of honour.

Would be good if the crew were specifically people found stranded, in pods etc.
    edited April 2018
    Siblin wrote: »
    I like it. I don’t think we can expect dB to throw 4*/5* crew at us like candy but even if it’s mainly common and uncommon as long as they are unique it provides some entertainment, people for the cryo mausoleum or at very least a tiny bit of honour.

Would be good if the crew were specifically people found stranded, in pods etc.

Well the thing is, the rarity of getting 3, 4, and 5-star crew wouldn't make it equivalent to giving them away like candy anyway.

I mean just ask the forums about the mythical Ktarian headset and how long it's taken some people to get that.

As for the crew, my logic behind the scan-only variety is...
    a) crew found stranded (like you said)
    - example: Yedrin Dax, EV Suit Spock, maybe Silver-Blood Seven, maybe Marayna
    b) crew found in pods/wreckage/escape craft (like you said)
    - example: Lieutenant John Kelly, Kaitaama, Prisoner Sito Jaxa, Akorem Laan, Jono, Jhet'laya, John Doe
    c) cosmic lifeforms which live/travel in open space
    - example: Crystalline Entity, V'ger Creator
    d) non-corporeal lifeforms capable of being out in open space
    - example: Onaya
    e) lifeforms from different space-time dimensions or which manipulate space
    - example: Sphere Builder, Species 8472
  • I really like this idea. Scans are, essentially, three button taps required for a daily goal. If it wasn't necessary for the small amount of free honor, I am pretty sure it (arguably) would be the least-tapped button in the game. There is practically nothing useful acquired from them for new, old, f2p, moderate or high spenders. With how much interest there is in special crew (voyage, gauntlet, honor hall), it would definitely add something else to chase for us players. Given the current state of the game, something new and engaging is much needed.
    I have a couple of ideas to expand upon this, but shall wait until it is in Make It So. Overall, this is a great idea worthy of DB's legitimate review and discussion imho.
    Pinkyfirst wrote: »
    I really like this idea. Scans are, essentially, three button taps required for a daily goal. If it wasn't necessary for the small amount of free honor, I am pretty sure it (arguably) would be the least-tapped button in the game. There is practically nothing useful acquired from them for new, old, f2p, moderate or high spenders. With how much interest there is in special crew (voyage, gauntlet, honor hall), it would definitely add something else to chase for us players. Given the current state of the game, something new and engaging is much needed.
    I have a couple of ideas to expand upon this, but shall wait until it is in Make It So. Overall, this is a great idea worthy of DB's legitimate review and discussion imho.

Thanks. I can't wait to hear your ideas.
    I'm actually surprised @Shan or @Black Pebble hasn't moved this thread to Make It So yet.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone actually spent dilithium on scans to see if the loot increases the more you spend? It seems such and odd thing to spend dilithium on that I'm genuinely curious as to why it's even available as an option.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
    Has anyone actually spent dilithium on scans to see if the loot increases the more you spend? It seems such and odd thing to spend dilithium on that I'm genuinely curious as to why it's even available as an option.

As far as I know, no one has tried. And therein lies the problem, DB wants to make coin off this feature they're offering clearly, but no one does. Hence, a new way to revamp this feature is with the scan-only crew. I really hope DB takes this idea to heart.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    1wica1d9yx45.jpg

I like literally had no idea it was so expensive.

You are going to want a guaranteed super-rare for that price! That's a lot of dilithium for a few thousand credits lol
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/