Home The Bridge
Options

Worthless 1/5 star characters.

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in The Bridge
Should I keep them or not? Is it time to start trashing fully equipped legendary characters, since many newer 4* are stronger? First world problems, right?

Examples: Frank Hollander and Bashir, Julian Bashir

Comments

• Options
    It depends on if you want to complete collections or not.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do decide to airlock a couple legendaries for space, make sure the ones you airlock are two skill not three skill and make sure that they are not main characters on any of the treks. Bahir, Julian Bashir gets bonus in every event that Bashir is bonus crew and he will give you bonus all the DS9/augment event month coming up. If you can find a way to keep your legendaries you should. Many are quite good even at 1/5. The only legendary I have airlocked is Vina, she had terrible stats and is less likely to reappear in an event and will have no other versions of her in future events.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Discovery cards may be more powerful but I only collect Star Trek cards.

Alright, I have my own problems with Discovery, but I'm not going to deny that it's the direction the people IN CHARGE of Star Trek want to take their intellectual property.

In any case, they're also VERY STRONG cards which I would LOVE to have. Because that's the point of this game. Now quit changing the subject, the point is older 5* that aren't strong anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Dr. Soong, for example. Shinzon. Grilka.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be rude, but I'm genuinely confused. I kind of can't tell what the actual point of this thread is.

Are we complaining about power creep?

About how diluted the portal pool is?

Do you actually want to hear others' opinions on this topic? That was my initial thought, but your response to RikerWasNumber1 makes me think that you don't.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    Do you actually want to hear others' opinions on this topic? That was my initial thought, but your response to RikerWasNumber1 makes me think that you don't.

I don't think the topic is whether Discovery is Star Trek or not.

I don't either, but I was referring to the first reply to RikerWasNumber1, not the second.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    EDIT: A possible rebuttal to my argument would be that Data and Bashir are often event characters, so I could use them. This is true, but they aren't my only 5* that I don't think I've ever used for anything. I just picked two.

Actually, Hollander is very useful in Data events because he has skills (CMD) that the other versions of Data don’t normally have... the same applies to some mirror versions like Bashir who has ENG instead of MED... so unless you have ten MED shuttles in a Bashir event, he’s useful to have.

I have only airlocked deformed Martok in a crew slot crisis because I couldn’t stand looking at him anymore. If I were to run out of crew slots again and couldn’t freeze some 4/4*, then I would pick non-leveled, non-recurring, two skill (maybe older with poor stats), 1/5* to airlock and probably one I didn’t care for. Looking at my current roster that may include things Chris Pike and Dr. Soong.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright, I have my own problems with Discovery, but I'm not going to deny that it's the direction the people IN CHARGE of Star Trek want to take their intellectual property.

In any case, they're also VERY STRONG cards which I would LOVE to have. Because that's the point of this game. Now quit changing the subject, the point is older 5* that aren't strong anymore.

If we just use ownership of Intellectual Property as validation, then Michael Jacksons cover of "Come Together" should be lauded by all Beatles fans, as well as Frampton fans should be all ga-ga over Regae versions of Baby I Love Your Way. Yeah they had rights to do it, but that doesn't make them in the vein of what they came from.....

I'm kinda over the whole Discovery thing having just moved over to other Franchises going in directions I enjoy, but arguments like the above put my teeth on edge.
  • Options
    If you think of most 1/5s as just being a resource sink that are mostly inferior to a good 4/4 and tying up a precious crew slot for pretty much ever, then yeah airlock them. There's other things you can invest in that will give you more bang for your buck.

If you play the game because you love Trek and want to collect one of everybody, especially if they might someday be situationally useful in an event or gauntlet or achievement, keep your 1/5s and airlock/cryostorage your 2/3 and lesser-used 4 stars instead.

The long-haul argument applies here.
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it helps, Bashir will almost certainly be event crew for an entire month.
  • Options
    Interesting thread this...i have the same issue. I was monthly pay player for a bit but am now firmly FtP

I currently have 100 crew slots and of these, 32 are 5 star crew. Only the event crew since borg event are at 4/5 while a handful - shinzon, kal if fae Kirk, 1701 sisko are at 2/5 while all the rest are all 1/5, all level 100. My logic was a 1/5 should be better than a 1/2 out of 4. Howcwrong was I!!??

I've got every 1 and 2 star character in the game frozen and am trying to work my way through the 3 star crew. The constant new 4 stars normally go in the bin unless i get them up to 3/4 in the event yet im really struggling with space.

I need the older 5 stars to come out if hiding to fuse them, but the chance to do this is very very low. If DB did an offer for me to "fuse 4 crew" for 19.99 i'd but it. Also i cannot see that happening
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want to keep most legendaries. They are the way to do well in this game in the long run. A 5/5 can easily have a main skill stat of 1200. The highest 4/4 will tap out at mid 900's.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve dumped plenty of them. Some just aren’t thrilling stat wise and some aren’t thrilling as a character. I’ve never dumped them after equipping them though. That’s a decision I make when they drop
  • Options
    tkl2jb0kjlpi.png
    dd6o0klq9m82.png

The epitome of a worthless 1/5. Not even 300 on the secondary skill. She used to be decent for a gauntlet here or there, but not worth it for that anymore either unless at 65%.

I should probably send her out the air-lock, but just can’t bring myself to ditch a 5* card that I busted my balls to earn in an event.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    Now with stats like that, DB should just put her the the portal
  • Options
    RikerWasNumber1RikerWasNumber1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    RennJaxo wrote: »

~inappropriate comment snipped.

• Options
    MordackMordack ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have poor Captain Scott hanging around at 1/5. I levelled him when he was event crew, but he didn't even get much use during those four days. I can't bring myself to airlock a legendary crew, especially one I went to the trouble of fully equipping. but I can't see him ever serving a useful purpose.
  • Options
    TcalTcal ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Rule #3 of Star Trek Timelines: NEVER. AIRLOCK. DISCOVERY. CREW
  • Options
    TcalTcal ✭✭✭
    But getting more to the point: Most of the early 5* haven't aged well except for those with high rolls like Seven of Nine, Mademoiselle De Neuf, and Gangster Spock which make up for their shortcomings in Gauntlet and on Voyages.
  • Options
    RikerWasNumber1RikerWasNumber1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    RennJaxo wrote: »

Grow up, please.

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mordack wrote: »
    I have poor Captain Scott hanging around at 1/5. I levelled him when he was event crew, but he didn't even get much use during those four days. I can't bring myself to airlock a legendary crew, especially one I went to the trouble of fully equipping. but I can't see him ever serving a useful purpose.

The only place I still use him is in the arena. I want to get him to 5/5* because he is a favorite of mine but I just can’t justify the honor expense it would take to do it when there are no other benefits. For collection puspises, 1/5* is okay by me.

In fact, the only legendary I ever tossed out of the airlock (besides Mirror Picard #6) was Convergence Day Quark. This was in the dark times before honor and citations where I knew without a doubt that I wouldn’t spend a single dilithium crystal on packs to FF him and I really needed the space. He went out alongside my second FF/FE Captain Janeway (who was one of the best SRs in those days) and my 1/4* Rianna Mayweather. These days, crew slots aren’t as critical (currently 189/195 with more due to free up after the end of this mega) and I have no problem playing the long game when it comes to fusing crew that have been power-creeped into obsolescence.
  • Options
    PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: A possible rebuttal to my argument would be that Data and Bashir are often event characters, so I could use them. This is true, but they aren't my only 5* that I don't think I've ever used for anything. I just picked two.

Actually, Hollander is very useful in Data events because he has skills (CMD) that the other versions of Data don’t normally have... the same applies to some mirror versions like Bashir who has ENG instead of MED... so unless you have ten MED shuttles in a Bashir event, he’s useful to have.

I have only airlocked deformed Martok in a crew slot crisis because I couldn’t stand looking at him anymore. If I were to run out of crew slots again and couldn’t freeze some 4/4*, then I would pick non-leveled, non-recurring, two skill (maybe older with poor stats), 1/5* to airlock and probably one I didn’t care for. Looking at my current roster that may include things Chris Pike and Dr. Soong.

I like the "off-brand" main cast varieties. Benny Russell is the primarily science Benjamin Sisko that can come in pretty handy. Musketeer La Forge, Mademoiselle de Neuf and Detective Data are security-primary versions of normally science/engineering type characters. For super rares, there's Klingon O'Brien (diplomacy primary) and Undercover O'Brien (security primary), and Galen Picard (science primary).

I've previously airlocked Captain Pike for precisely the reasons you stated, and I have Lissan sitting around 1/5 and level 1 so she's always on the airlock bubble. Dr Chaotica would be on that list as well if I hadn't fully equipped him.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Navarch wrote: »

Besides there are no bad 5* Bashir cards really.
    -Alternate Future is extremely high MED, and he's great for gauntlet with his MED/SCI/COM combo if needed.
    -Mirror Bashir gives his variant some rare ENG which is pretty good base stat wise, he's also not bad for a gauntlet
    -Bashir, Julian Bashir ties in a nice MED/SEC combo, and he's strong in both DIP and MED and he's pretty great for voyages, in fact all of his 5* versions are.

Actually, Bashir is one of the rare characters who covers all the skills with his variants.
    COM - Alternate Future Bashir
    DIP - Bashir, Julian Bashir
    ENG - Mirror Bashir
    SEC - Mirror Bashir, Bashir, Julian Bashir
    MED - Bashir, Julian Bashir, Alternate Future Bashir
    SCI - Alternate Future Bashir
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »

Besides there are no bad 5* Bashir cards really.
    -Alternate Future is extremely high MED, and he's great for gauntlet with his MED/SCI/COM combo if needed.
    -Mirror Bashir gives his variant some rare ENG which is pretty good base stat wise, he's also not bad for a gauntlet
    -Bashir, Julian Bashir ties in a nice MED/SEC combo, and he's strong in both DIP and MED and he's pretty great for voyages, in fact all of his 5* versions are.

Actually, Bashir is one of the rare characters who covers all the skills with his variants.
    COM - Alternate Future Bashir
    DIP - Bashir, Julian Bashir
    ENG - Mirror Bashir
    SEC - Mirror Bashir, Bashir, Julian Bashir
    MED - Bashir, Julian Bashir, Alternate Future Bashir
    SCI - Alternate Future Bashir

That’s because he’s generically modified 😜... and he still loses at Dabo...