Home Make It So!
Options

Old school Expeditions.

[STJ] Wendell[STJ] Wendell ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Make It So!
I know there are some people that love expeditons, personally I think they are awful, gruelling, and mind numbing. Having said that I think they are neccessary and should be done the original way (start from the beginning each ticket). The reason I say this is because I when I was a newb I loved that I could hit these events hard and place way higher than normal since so many people sat them out. I think newcomers should still have that opportunity. Personally I will not touch them anymore unless severely tempted by the event crew, but I believe events should go back Exp, Faction, Galaxy, Faction, Exp, Faction, Galaxy etc... The hybrids don’t bother me, but I don’t see why they’re neccessary. LLAP
STAR TREK JUNKIES

Comments

• Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Wendell, I wrote this before even realizing it was you. lol However, I have to disagree. Once you have earned your way through, you should have the choice to go backwards. Otherwise, as you pointed out, people do sit them out. As DB is a business with a goal of making money, why would it want people to sit out?
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    You make a good point which is why I believe it has been so long since we had one.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Expeditions and would gladly welcome their return! I take some peculiar masochistic satisfaction from those, and yeah, part of it is that by being willing to grind it out, I could place a lot higher in the rankings for those than I could in any other event format. The first three 5* crew members I've earned from events all came from Expeditions (The Professor, Will Scarlett, Captain La Forge).

Despite my preference for the brutality of the original format, I do prefer the modifications that came later. Leaving cleared missions unlocked and guaranteeing a crit for event crew perfected the Expedition in my estimation. The former made the event approachable for players with modest, limited crews, and the latter made event crew truly helpful and worthwhile.

Incidentally, in case anyone is wondering, the next Expedition in line to be replayed is "Ribbon of Joy" (5* Age of Sail Crusher, 4* Dr. Tolian Soran in the original version).
  • Options
    Regardless of what format expeditions take (i would appreciate more tweaking), I agree with the general point Wendel makes and the consensus opinion. They are great for ambitious newer players. I believe my 2nd and 3rd 5* crew was from exactly this scenario (First was from a lucky behold). They are an extremely useful tool for earlier players to muscle their way into better positions in future events, gauntlets, or voyages.
  • Options
    The first fully fused 4* I ever obtained through an event was Doctor La Forge, and the first 5* I ever obtained from an event was Captain La Forge. I was either F2P or monthly card only at the time, and I had been playing only half as long as a lot of others. Expeditions gave me the first chance I had to actually compete for those kind of prizes.
    When Captain La Forge's expedition event came around again, I think I might have been tired of the grind because I didn't get him another star during that event. I'm not sure how into another expedition I would be personally, but I did think it was a nice way for newer players to actually compete if they were willing to work through the grind, and I think something like that should be offered periodically.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I was so excited when I was a baby player and found that I could do good in expeditions. I managed to squeak in at #996 to grab my first gold (AoS Crusher) & I've done well in each expedition since. Now I have the crew to make the top 1000 in faction about half the time (still stink at galaxy). I also like expedition beacuse it seems the most like an extension of the main game. Future expeditions I may or may not paricipate in, depending on the crew, but I know there are many low-level but active players in my fleet that would be excited for an opportunity to excel.
  • Options
    I think the last round of tweaks went too far and turned expeditions into a boring click fest. Eliminating the timer took the excitement and the last bit of strategy out of the format. I also am not a fan of the automatic crit, I would rather see something along the lines of each failure to crit increases the chance of a crit next time and/or overwhelming scores are more likely to crit. In my opinion the solution to the problem was giving a consolation prize when the crit failed (and when replaying a success).
  • Options
    Incidentally, in case anyone is wondering, the next Expedition in line to be replayed is "Ribbon of Joy" (5* Age of Sail Crusher, 4* Dr. Tolian Soran in the original version).

Both of whom, oddly, turned up in a raft of pulls I made last week. Coincidence?
  • Options
    I was so excited when I was a baby player and found that I could do good in expeditions. I managed to squeak in at #996 to grab my first gold (AoS Crusher) & I've done well in each expedition since. Now I have the crew to make the top 1000 in faction about half the time (still stink at galaxy).

Expeditions were my most helpful barometer for my progress as a player. The first 4/4 I ever earned from an event was Mirror K'Ehleyr, from "Triple Threat". I needed the community rewards for the fourth star on her, though. The first 4/4 I ever earned all on my own was Dr. Tolian Soran in the aforementioned "Ribbon of Joy". The first 1/5 I ever earned was The Professor in "The Game's Afoot 2".

I can't overstate how encouraging it was for me to see from one month to the next that I was, in fact, developing a stronger crew based on how I fared in Expeditions. There were other indicators that I was making progress with the game (clearing mission nodes is the most obvious), but none as satisfying as ranking in the top 1000 of an Expedition.
    I also like expedition beacuse it seems the most like an extension of the main game.

An excellent point! I never understood the players who seemed so fixated on warping everything they could that it seemed they didn't want to actually play the game.
    Future expeditions I may or may not paricipate in, depending on the crew, but I know there are many low-level but active players in my fleet that would be excited for an opportunity to excel.

Expeditions are the only events that I will go all out for each and every time. I've kept everyone I've earned from any of those events, including 2*s and 3*s, and even Kurros, whom I actively dislike so much I would have otherwise dismissed him. The only ones I don't have are all 5*s:

Age of Sail Crusher ("Ribbon of Joy")
    Beowulf Kim ("Merry Men"; he was only available in packs, though)
    Detective Data ("The Game's Afoot" 1)
    Jazz Musician Odo ("Holograms Are Forever")

[I was in striking distance of Odo; I ended that event at #1040. We had no cumulative rewards or Honor at that time, though, and it was more important to me to end with a 4/4 Waitress Ezri so I tanked for the one and only time.]
  • Options
    BelleAnna wrote: »

Both of whom, oddly, turned up in a raft of pulls I made last week. Coincidence?

"I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." - Elim Garak, "Cardassians"
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what format, I don't care.
    I don't even care if everyone they ever do from now on is just a rerun of a past Expedition or a sequel to another past event but moved over to expedition.. I don't care if it's "<insert script> find a vaccine for the zombie virus before Sasha Williams turns into a Vulcan </Insert script>". For a story line !

Juuuuuuuuust bring them !
  • Options
    While I very much want Expedition events back, I like the new version better than oldschool. Especially that all crits = unlocking rare reward. I like more planning and less chance. And I like to click!

Hybrids were the best for me; I get to grind and click, but for a more manageable 2 days instead of 4. Though I would not turn down a 4-day clickfest.