Home The Bridge

Updates and Thread closures

Three questions:
1 - Why is every thread asking simple questions immediately shut down by admins?
2 - Why aren't release notes published? It would prevent questions being asked in the first place. All people want to know is the truth.
3 - What are the rules regarding what we are allowed to respectfully ask about, and discuss with the community?

Lack of transparency and preventing people from engaging in open discussion make it look like the people in power are trying to conceal something. If this thread violates forum rules, can someone explain specifically how?

Comments

• <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, let's forget about the back end changes for a minute.

The app icon appears to be back to the original one. Not the one that came out a little while back that's vaguely reminiscent of the Disco theme song scenes?
  • Yea it seems all the numerous unhappy posts about the Q&A are getting swallowed up by man made er DB anomalies.
  • The main Q&A reflections post is still refreshing. I have had unflattering posts that weren’t “closed” but would no longer refresh in the past.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if it's just the app icon that changed, doesn't that negate their claim that EVERYTHING was back end changes that consumers wouldn't notice?
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I noticed a guy asking about how the shuttle missions for this event were going to work and the thread got shut down with reasons stating that the patch didn't change anything... THAT was weird

Thread here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5217/any-chance-of-getting-an-official-statement-about-and-shuttle-slots-before-the-event#latest
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    I noticed a guy asking about how the shuttle missions for this event were going to work and the thread got shut down with reasons stating that the patch didn't change anything... THAT was weird

Thread here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5217/any-chance-of-getting-an-official-statement-about-and-shuttle-slots-before-the-event#latest

In fairness, it probably got shut down for my (admittedly speculative) comment relating the analytics to the 4.0.3 patch. All three of the threads that were closed yesterday were closed for that same reason, so to speculate that there's something nefarious or underhanded while they left plenty of other threads critical of their processes open is disingenuous at best.

Like any other bug, I wouldn't expect anything to change until they say it's changed, especially since Shan acknowledged they had created the bug report.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »

In fairness, it probably got shut down for my (admittedly speculative) comment relating the analytics to the 4.0.3 patch. All three of the threads that were closed yesterday were closed for that same reason, so to speculate that there's something nefarious or underhanded while they left plenty of other threads critical of their processes open is disingenuous at best.

Like any other bug, I wouldn't expect anything to change until they say it's changed, especially since Shan acknowledged they had created the bug report.

I agree, I don't think there's anything nefarious, but I also don't think (especially in the case I linked) that the thread deserved an immediate closure and I also don't know why if it was your comment that triggered it, why not just delete your comment? The thread was asking what the shuttle situation was going to be which is an upcoming event related question, not a patch question
  • Dark MatterDark Matter ✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    How the forums are managed/moderated is left to our discretion, I think it is fairly easy to see why those recent threads were closed...

If it was as easy to see why those threads were closed then your attempt at providing explanation wouldn't be necessary. So no, it's not that easy to see as you would like to think. In my opinion you are trying to dilute the reality here. This "left to our discretion" part is hell of thinner. I grant you that.
  • I moderate a few forums myself and I have to say. Shan and fellow moderators have some decently thick skin. That being said. There is a lot of times we moderate and shut down a thread at the same time. Not allowing the public to see why the thread was shut down. There could be a mash up of things in that thread that were deleted and you can no longer see. I don't know what threads your talking about but that could be a reason.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • edited May 2018
    Shan,

Thanks for the clarification. I think most users understand the basics. The part that was very questionable and what raised this post was that the players asked a simple question: what kind of analytics are being captured? This thread was closed under the explanation of potential for derailment (I think)

How does asking a new question asking about the specifics about a release warrant closure? I found Admiral Patsy's question as rationale and polite. (S)he even went so far as to curb any speculation with the first half of the post.

In today's day and age of big data vs data privacy (let alone the upcoming GDPR deadline...General Data Protection Regulation) vs analytics, this is a very valid question and should not be closed without a response.
    - the potential for derailment was high

How do you asses this potential? What is the procedure?
  • Shan wrote: »

Usually goes based on experience. Seen that thread before. Know the result. Close it. Delete it. There's no rule book for moderating a forum. It's gut check, and delete.
    239 Immortalized
    This is the source of the problem because your guts are not objective.

Usually goes based on experience. Seen that thread before. Know the result. Close it. Delete it. There's no rule book for moderating a forum. It's gut check, and delete.

This is the source of the problem because your guts can't be considered objective.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan,

Thanks for the clarification. I think most users understand the basics. The part that was very questionable and what raised this post was that the players asked a simple question: what kind of analytics are being captured? This thread was closed under the explanation of potential for derailment (I think)

How does asking a new question asking about the specifics about a release warrant closure? I found Admiral Patsy's question as rationale and polite. (S)he even went so far as to curb any speculation with the first half of the post.

In today's day and age of big data vs data privacy (let alone the upcoming GDPR deadline...General Data Protection Regulation) vs analytics, this is a very valid question and should not be closed without a response.

You make a fair point, and it is also a good example of how replying to a valid question with baseless speculation can create issues.

Backend analytics involve data about the game itself, like performances reports, crash reports etc

This is the source of the problem because your guts can't be considered objective.

Exactly my point. Every situation is different. As a moderator it's their job to decide these things on the fly. To maintain the forum as an environment where everyone feels welcome at all times. If they close it, they can visit together and decide whether to re-open the discussion. One of my threads was shut down a week ago. I could not find it. Thought it was deleted. Eventually I found it merged with another thread of the decently close topic. Wasn't perfect, but I get it. You see a thread get closed, and you disagree with the decision. Fine. Make a new thread like the OP did. The mods will generally let that ride for a bit till a command decision is made in the backgrounds, then you'll see this thread disappear too. ;)
    239 Immortalized

Exactly my point.

Yes, I see your point. The problem is it's not objective. :-)
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly my point.

I must have missed where someone claimed that it was an objective process...

Exactly my point.

I must have missed where someone claimed that it was an objective process...

You have not missed anything. That's the very reason for this thread.

Exactly my point.

It's not. They own the website. They allow you to use it. They make the rules. Freedom of speech doesn't exist here. Welcome to the internet. You don't like it. Make you're own forum. And I'll join it.
    239 Immortalized

Exactly my point.

It's not. They own the website. They allow you to use it. They make the rules. Freedom of speech doesn't exist here. Welcome to the internet. You don't like it. Make you're own forum. And I'll join it.

They, they, they... They made this game for US not for themselves. They don't exist without US. That's why objectivity is a must. No objectivity and you will have endless threads like this one. I guarantee you that. :-)
    Shan,

You make a fair point, and it is also a good example of how replying to a valid question with baseless speculation can create issues.

Backend analytics involve data about the game itself, like performances reports, crash reports etc

Thanks Shan!
  • [NDQ] Joker41NAM[NDQ] Joker41NAM ✭✭✭✭
    What concerns me on this specific incident is how Black Pebble tried to end the discussion in those closed threads:

"We regularly push out incremental updates like this." (emphasis mine)

This is not true. I went back through the Starfleet Communications channel, and looked at every single client update announced (back to v3.0.1). Not a single one ever mentioned backend or analytics updates, let alone it being the sole change made.

This type of statement is likely what triggered our questions; client updates have always changed the player's experience, not tweaked things for the (undisclosed) benefit of the developers.

4.0.2 - Display drop rates in packs, iPhoneX UI fixes
    4.0.1 - Fix ads in Android
    3.1.2 - Stability improvments, UI tweaks
    3.1.1 - Freeze fixes
    3.0.1 - Localization fixes
  • RNGeverythingRNGeverything ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

They, they, they... They made this game for US not for themselves. They don't exist without US. That's why objectivity is a must. No objectivity and you will have endless threads like this one. I guarantee you that. :-)

Well. Go ahead and try. We are in their house. I've personally smacked grandma a few times and cussed at the owner. A couple times I have expected some type of message from admin. Still nothing. Like I said. They have decently thick skin. While there have been closures and deleted threads, it is nothing compared to what they can and will do to protect their interests.

You may disagree with it, but in the words of their customer service, "We are sorry to hear that, and hope you come back to us someday." In other words, they won't be losing sleep over it.
    239 Immortalized
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan,

Thank you Shan, but I was actually hoping to learn what is being changed in regards to the back end analytics.

Well. Go ahead and try. We are in their house. I've personally smacked grandma a few times and cussed at the owner. A couple times I have expected some type of message from admin. Still nothing. Like I said. They have decently thick skin. While there have been closures and deleted threads, it is nothing compared to what they can and will do to protect their interests.

You may disagree with it, but in the words of their customer service, "We are sorry to hear that, and hope you come back to us someday." In other words, they won't be losing sleep over it.

I beg to disagree. All these hastily closed threads prove my point. "I'm sorry to hear that and hope you will change your attitude in the future. Until this happens I will continue my complaining as I see it proper." These are words of my own CS. :-)

We are in their house.

That is not the case. This is our house. They just built it for us and they were paid for it. Now we want them to repair all what they botched in the process. That is how I see it.
  • Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not going to stop complaining about this game. My username isn't a compliment.
    239 Immortalized
    Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not going to stop complaining about this game. My username isn't a compliment.

Good. Holding you to your promise. :-)
This discussion has been closed.