Home Make It So!
Options

Rename Bajoran Dukat to Anjohl Tennan

I know it has been brought up a couple of times, but please DB, change that name. Otherwise you could call Mademoiselle de Neuf Resistance Seven or Katrine WWII Janeway or something. One could argue that those are holodeck characters while Anjohl is just a secret identity, but you didn’t call the Gabriel Bell version of Sisko Gabriel Bell Sisko, even though he was merely impersonating Bell. Or how about Locutus of Borg Picard?

To that point I’d request a few other name changes:
Captain Proton Paris to just Captain Proton
Buster Kincaid Kim to just Buster Kincaid
Arachnia Janeway to either just Arachnia or Arachnia, Queen of the Spider People
Dixon Hill Picard to just Dixon Hill
And so on, I’m probably forgetting some. Or do it the other way around and rename for example Anastasia Komananov to Anastasia Komananov Kira, Duchamps to Duchamps Worf and so on. I think you see my point.

What does the community think?

Comments

• Options
    It Is confusing how they go back and forth with how they name the characters.
  • Options
    I agree, some consistency is warranted and reasonable. For players unfamiliar with the characters, I can see how adding the name of the main character is helpful, but for those that already know, it does look pretty clunky. I would be in favor of dropping the extra naming, provided that they would be properly searchable in the vault when searching for all variants of Dukat, Seven, etc.
  • Options
    I agree. On that note, the sorting in the vault is also kind of strange. For example certain variants of characters are all in a group while others are completely elsewhere. Like with Komananov. She‘s sorted under A (in alphabetical order) because of her first name. Shouldn‘t she be listed under K? Or grouped with the other Kira versions? Confusing to probably new and old fans alike.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smintili wrote: »

I could not care much less, honestly. My feeling is that as long as they sort properly, they can call them whatever they want.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the time has come to introduce a small line of text below the header that simply states "A persona of: [name]". And include that in search.
  • Options
    LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    Or put the names in parenthesis. T’Mir is a character in her own right but she’s been used as a T’Pol expy. And Zhintara Odo has been used as both Odo and as a Dax.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Ljofa wrote: »
    Or put the names in parenthesis. T’Mir is a character in her own right but she’s been used as a T’Pol expy. And Zhintara Odo has been used as both Odo and as a Dax.

Well to be fair he is both in a way
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    smintili wrote: »
    Dixon Hill Picard to just Dixon Hill

Actually he's Detective Dixon Hill.
    And then you've got Tommy Gun Dixon.

Picard also has the Galen alias, with no mention of his name.

Personal note - sometimes I forget all about them because I simply search for the name Picard, and NONE of those come up. So perhaps...

EDIT: In defense of DB, regarding the main focus of this thread, there was Klingon Dukat, there was Dominion Dukat, and there was Pah-Wraith Dukat. At least they're being internally consistent.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I've often wondered how they have been able to select variants of crew as bonus crew for events given these disparities in name, it would definitely help to be able to search the bonus crew for instance searching "Dax" missed out princess Jadzia in my roster (perhaps she should have Dax on the end of her name?)
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've often wondered how they have been able to select variants of crew as bonus crew for events given these disparities in name, it would definitely help to be able to search the bonus crew for instance searching "Dax" missed out princess Jadzia in my roster (perhaps she should have Dax on the end of her name?)

Do you seriously have Princess Jadzia on ice? She's still in my top 4 base SCI, and she's Jadzia!
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    No she’s in my roster but I’m merely saying people may miss her if they just use dax to search for bonus crew
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options

Tip: It's always best to search "trill" to find all the bonus crew in Dax events.
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

Tip: It's always best to search "trill" to find all the bonus crew in Dax events.

I keep trying to tell people that. I don't think they're getting it. ;)
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    My workaround to the flaw for in-game search/sort is to use the wiki. Search for the primary name of the character (e.g., Picard, Jadzia, Kira, etc), and the screen that comes up will show all the variants (whether the primary name is part of the card name or not).

Of course, this only works because of the quality work by the players that maintain the wiki - so thank you to those players!
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding my voice to the others who have said they don't care as long as it is searchable by the character of which they are a version. So, when I type in "Dukat," this crew needs to appear, no matter what his name is.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    The naming convention overall is terrible in this game and probably needs its own mak it so thread.
    When I search for Picard, Robin Hood does not come up because DB called him “Robin Hood” instead of “Robin Hood Picard”. There are dozens of characters like that in the game.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    The displayed name doesn't matter. They can easily add a base crew field that's searchable but not displayed. Like the under construction show search.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Name changes I'd propose:

Agent Janeway → Section 31 Janeway*
    Arachnia Janeway → Arachnia
    B'Etor Duras → B'Etor
    Bajoran Dukat → Anjohl Tennan
    Beowulf Kim → Beowulf
    Buster Kindcaid Kim → Buster Kincaid
    Captain Killy → Mirror Captain Killy
    Captain Proton Paris → Captain Proton
    Cardassian Kira → Ileana Ghemor*
    Claibore Chekov → Billy Claiborne
    Commander Chekov → Nuclear Wessel Chekov
    Commander Troi → 21st Century Troi
    Dancing Uhura → Platonian Uhura
    Disguised Kira → Cardassia IV Kira
    Disguised Tuvok → 20th Century Tuvok
    Durango Troi → Durango
    Ensign Chapel → Nurse Chapel
    Ensign Ogawa → Nurse Ogawa
    Falcon O'Brien → Falcon***
    First Officer Chekov → Acting First Officer Chekov
    Friar Tuck Data → Friar Tuck
    Goddess of Empathy Troi → The Goddess of Empathy
    Honey Bare Jadzia → Professor Honey Bare
    Koloth → Captain Koloth
    Lt Commander La Forge → 21st Century La Forge
    Lursa Duras → Lursa
    Marshal of France Q → Marshal Q
    Princess Jadzia → Princess Jadzia Dax
    Prisoner 'Bones' McCoy → Rura Penthe McCoy
    Prospero Data → Prospero
    Rakal Troi → Major Rakal
    Sheriff of Nottingham Q → Sheriff of Nottingham
    Tommy Gun Dixon → Tommy Gun Dixon Hill
    Undercover Sulu → 20th Century Sulu
    Waitress Ezri → Waitress Ezri Dax

*Agent Janeway has been a source of confusion. Section 31 Janeway would more explicitly signal that this is a non-canon persona wholly separate from Katrine.

**Ileana Ghemor is even more curious because the game text from those events ("Second Skin" and "Second Skin 2") appear to indicate that those events include the real Ileana Ghemor, not Kira involuntarily disguised as her.

***Falcon first appeared in "Our Man Bashir", but then later we saw O'Brien himself role play the character. By moving to a system that just uses the name of the persona, it doesn't matter whether this is the "real" Falcon or O'Brien playing as him. The only thing that would distinguish the two is whether or not Falcon had the Hologram trait (as O'Brien roleplaying as Falcon obviously is not a hologram).
  • Options

B'Etor Duras → B'Etor
    Beowulf Kim → Beowulf
    Durango Troi → Durango
    Koloth → Captain Koloth
    Lursa Duras → Lursa
    Prospero Data → Prospero
    Rakal Troi → Major Rakal

*Agent Janeway has been a source of confusion. Section 31 Janeway would more explicitly signal that this is a non-canon persona wholly separate from Katrine.

**Ileana Ghemor is even more curious because the game text from those events ("Second Skin" and "Second Skin 2") appear to indicate that those events include the real Ileana Ghemor, not Kira involuntarily disguised as her.

***Falcon first appeared in "Our Man Bashir", but then later we saw O'Brien himself role play the character. By moving to a system that just uses the name of the persona, it doesn't matter whether this is the "real" Falcon or O'Brien playing as him. The only thing that would distinguish the two is whether or not Falcon had the Hologram trait (as O'Brien roleplaying as Falcon obviously is not a hologram).

Unless they are adding a hidden searchable field 90% of these name changes are frankly a bad idea. Making Prospero Data into Prospero for exmaple makes him unsearchable as Data. Also as a point of fact he was Prospero Data or Data Prospero but he certainly was not Propsero.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

B'Etor Duras → B'Etor
    Beowulf Kim → Beowulf
    Durango Troi → Durango
    Koloth → Captain Koloth
    Lursa Duras → Lursa
    Prospero Data → Prospero
    Rakal Troi → Major Rakal

Unless they are adding a hidden searchable field 90% of these name changes are frankly a bad idea. Making Prospero Data into Prospero for exmaple makes him unsearchable as Data. Also as a point of fact he was Prospero Data or Data Prospero but he certainly was not Propsero.

The only one on the list I'd actively campaign for is Nuclear Wessel Chekov.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only one on the list I'd actively campaign for is Nuclear Wessel Chekov.

The best one!
  • Options
    I posted a whole thread about the whole Picard/Dixon Hill dichotomy earlier today. There are a few things that blur the lines for me.

First, the attributes. The Picard/Hill character is shown to be part of the Federation and Starfleet. Neither existed when the fictional character Hill would have lived. (Yes, I get the irony of a being who is fictional in the minds of fictional characters. And now my head hurts.)

Second, come the recipe items, like model starships. They are more suggestive of Picard, but single-malt whiskey leans more toward Dixon Hill.

Thirdly, are the mission bonuses. Any version of Picard will give bonuses in this event, and if you select Dixon Hill for your shuttle mission, you get the Picard bonus. With that in mind, Dixon Hill is not listed as one who provides a crew bonus, but Picard is.

Finally, there is the dialogue in every event where Dixon Hill is featured. Picard would perhaps talk in the way he does, but only if he knew he were onstage or in the holodeck. The disappearance of Lwaxana Troi, a person Picard views as real, would be far more serious to him than a holodeck mystery. One would expect him to immediately step out of character and focus on ship’s business. Hill acts as though this were another case to be solved, and in a dispassionate way.

I know I have given this way too much thought. Does anyone have anyone have any clarifying thoughts. Is my 4* character actually Dixon Hill or Picard role-playing? No wonder Q finds this temporal situation exhausting.
  • Options
    [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Second, come the recipe items, like model starships. They are more suggestive of Picard, but single-malt whiskey leans more toward Dixon Hill.

I think Picard would sip a dram just as readily as Dixon, in or out of the holodeck.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    No wonder Q finds this temporal situation exhausting.

Omnipotent beings don't get exhausted. But they can be amused.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends