Home The Bridge
Options

Take the "Crack the Wall" Pledge!

Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
Two days ago, when selecting my team for the Gauntlet that ended a few hours ago, my fleet mates were chatting about how tedious the Gauntlet has become, seeing the same walls over and over. I decided to do something different. I'm not chasing a #1 rank, after all, so what do I care if I come in #2 or #200? I'm just in it for the hope that a streak of some multiple three will get me a Caretaker. I don't need to rank to do that. So here's what I did:

I excluded any crew member I have who has ever appeared in any event, or has been a Gauntlet jackpot reward.

I was able to break into the top 10 several times throughout the two days and I ended at #24. The highlight was beating someone's Kahless the Unforgettable with my Mirror Ezri Tigan (SEC + DIP; Kahless only has one of those two skills). Wish I'd thought to take a screenshot!

By the way, this still leaves a good number of strong Gauntlet crew on the table, including Changeling Founder, Doc Crusher, and Tempted Data, all of whom are in my current team:

5gxvlto1o1jw.jpg

So, how about it? If you're not still chasing a particular rank finish for the achievements (or for your own satisfaction), why not bypass the standard go-to's? Use that Commander Uhura or Gorn Captain or Lily Sloane. C'mon, it'll be fun!

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m with you on this. There’s plenty of other crew that have solid gauntlet stats. I think your idea is pretty cool if we can all make a concerted effort to mix it up
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I definitely do look at alternatives when I don't have obvious crew with good trait matches to pick. Since a lot of people will just load up their remaining slots with Guinan, Locutus, et al. by default, I think it often pays to find someone who has a certain amount of strength but in different combinations.

And then of course in my alt accounts I'm sort of forced to use crew who the majority aren't using, simply because I don't have a lot of the powerhouses. But many of those alternative crew have been quite useful for me on those alt accounts: Bajoran Dukat, Duelist Yar, Mirror Uhura and several others have all done quite well for themselves in Gauntlet.

I'm no longer chasing rank myself — once I hit the top spot, it's nothing that I feel like I need to repeat, and top ten or top twenty loot is often no better than rewards from a much lower ending rank. I do try for short streaks whenever I can, and only rarely do I use merits to extend those (and I'd probably not even care about streaks once I landed a Caretaker, so there's that). Mostly, the Gauntlet is (for me at least) a place to build up my merit stash, and get the occasional chrons or even more occasional portal pulls.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Ill bring Annorax, Cap. Lorian, Muskateer LaForge, Dr. Daystrom and Tempted Data...that should spice things up!!
  • Options
    Ill bring Annorax, Cap. Lorian, Muskateer LaForge, 23rd Century Martok, and Tempted Data...that should spice things up!!

Tsk, tsk! 23rd Century Martok has been featured in events!
  • Options
    I do something similar. A major strategy for me in the gauntlet is to try to play the counter. So you guess which crew *everyone* is going to have, and then look for a crew that is the same or slightly better.
    So if everyone is throwing in Mirror Picard because he has 25% I'll use Kahless because even with the 25% kicker, they're about the same in CMD+SEC, but Kahless wins CMD+DIP, and is fairly even in CMD+SCI and the same for everything else.
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's this? It took me months to get a decent gauntlet crew and now you want me to use inferior beings???

Outrageous!

Actually, I always look for alternatives, I'm using Obsidian Order Garak instead of JLP this gauntlet because he has matching traits, and I never use Picard because he invariably goes up against himself and fluffs it badly. Scares himself silly, I reckon.

But, I don't have any alternatives to The Caretaker or Seven of Nine, Surak is solid if not blinding, and Guinan doesn't have a great deal of opposition yet, even though she's the weakest of the bunch. It's unlikely I'm ever going to grab honor hall crew because of the obscene amounts of honor required to even acquire them, let alone fully fuse them, so I'm probably at 'peak gauntlet' for me until better crew come along.

Though, Kahless is kind of tempting. I'll see if I can muster up enough honor and the will to part with it before making a decision on that.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll bring Admiral Riker, Crell Moset, Augment Riker, Romulan Kirk, and Trelane
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bring my handsome Captain Okona many times in le gauntlet. And although he has been in an event, Virtuoso Doctor has been serving pretty well in my gauntlet adventures, same with Gladiator McCoy who I use quite often.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Augment Riker and Romulan Kirk would be prohibited as having been in events, but more importantly, I envy your Trelane! I dig those wackier TOS guest characters. They had a certain panache that I adore. William Campbell was fun to watch as Koloth, but even more fun for me as Trelane. "A 'duel'...?!" :lol:
  • Options
    Ill bring Annorax, Cap. Lorian, Muskateer LaForge, 23rd Century Martok, and Tempted Data...that should spice things up!!

Fixed!!
  • Options

Fixed!!

:lol: Nice.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Fixed!!

:lol: Nice.

I dont remember Dr. Daystrom being in an event, and since i know you know about the event crew of every event...if it was good with you i knew he wasnt in an event. Thing is i use Daystrom quite frequently anyways in the gauntlet...along with Tempted Data. Never have used the other 3 though, this should be interesting. Thanks for the idea Travis!!
  • Options
    GAWAGAWA ✭✭✭
    This new gauntlet appears to be the 'Q' event so I'm giving them all an outing even though they do not have the best stats.... but they are mostly 65%
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Augment Riker and Romulan Kirk would be prohibited as having been in events, but more importantly, I envy your Trelane! I dig those wackier TOS guest characters. They had a certain panache that I adore. William Campbell was fun to watch as Koloth, but even more fun for me as Trelane. "A 'duel'...?!" :lol:

My bad. I do remember those events. I enjoy the old school characters too. I love my Orion Vina card despite the fact that she’s immortalized yet I never use her. I dig The Keeper too. This doesn’t quite fit the category but Gangster Spock is just way cool

• Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a newer player so I kinda need past event crew in my gauntlet, I've simply not got that many crew to be able to mix it up that much. However I also don't have Locutus, Guinan, Caretaket etc either. Depending on the skills needed, I can sometimes get past Seven and Locutus and I've ranked inside the top 5 taking along Landry, Nurse Garland and Tuvix. Yesterday I immortalized Valeria so she's in today. Admittedly I struggle with Eng in gauntlet, Mudd isn't FE and Cochrane doesn't cut it after the initial set of rounds.
    I do like this idea tho :)
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    SST - 9of7SST - 9of7 ✭✭✭
    While the idea sounded a bit crazy at first I realized that my gauntlet team basically already fit your description anyway. Kahless, Sulan, Gangster Spock (North Star Tucker on rare occasions), The Keeper (or Daystrom if he fits better) and finally my only exception to your rule Locutus. While mostly no standard wall crew, this crushes most line-ups.

I might give it a try to exchange locutus in one of the next gauntlets
  • Options
    Incidentally, my arbitrary exclusions of event crew and Gauntlet jackpots doesn't have to be some hard and fast rule. Using someone who isn't in any of the Gauntlet Top Pairs per the STT Crew Level 100 spreadsheet so diligently curated by @Peachtree Rex, for instance, would probably break things up further. Or maybe restricting ourselves to just 4*'s for a Gauntlet, leaving all the 5*'s at home.

The point here is just to try to do something different with roster selections.

Also, this initiative is aimed more at established players with deeper benches. If you're still developing your crew, you're exactly the players I'd like to help a little with this initiative! Bring your Surak and your Mirror Jean-Luc Picard and your Nurse Faith Garland. My hope is that those of us in a position where we can indulge this idea and bring other crew will be the ones to crack the walls that we ourselves have been largely responsible for constructing.

And after beating Kahless with Mirror Ezri, I'm confident that this idea doesn't have to mean forfeiting Gauntlets outright. It will just require some more creativity and maybe a deeper dive into stats. Plus, of course, there's always RNG.
  • Options

My bad. I do remember those events. I enjoy the old school characters too. I love my Orion Vina card despite the fact that she’s immortalized yet I never use her. I dig The Keeper too. This doesn’t quite fit the category but Gangster Spock is just way cool

I envy your Vina and Keeper, too, and yes, Gangster Spock is definitely way cool! I recently had The Keeper in a Behold, but I had to go instead with Grand Nagus Zek. I dig those TOS characters, but my first love is still DS9.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am presently using Doc Crusher, Mariachi Q, Romulan Picard, Mirror Picard, North Star Tucker.

It is new and different. I lost my very first match-up.

I am really wishing that I picked Guinan, Locutus, Seven, Kahless and LaBorge.

I hope I still manage to squeeze out a top 10 finish and get Caretaker and fat 5* equipment.

PS I want to throw my phone at anyone who has French Q.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non-wall gauntlet crew

Mirror Troi
    Admiral Picard
    Landry
    Nurse Faith Garland
    Weeding T'Pol
  • Options
    P-RexP-Rex ✭✭
    I have been doing just that since Surak showed up, rank 1 in gauntlet achievement, has been checked since last year. So with the the fact gauntlet has always, and will always be Walls of best same few characters, and people using who ever the wiki tells them to use, i decided i wasn't a builder, so i have very seldom used Mirror Picard, Surak, etc. I don't need to be top ten, someone else needing the achievements can do that, and use their Suraks and Picards to do it, and good luck to them.

I am more than happy to plod along, and get myself anywhere top 50, get a few items, that might be useful. Last run at gauntlet tends to be about 3 hours to go, and wherever i end up then, and get pushed too is where i end up.

But i wholeheartedly agree, with the principle, not everyone (ME) is as savvy or "listy" as Travis, so i can't say i don't use previous event people, but i do avoid taking the people, that i personally am sick of seeing in gauntlet walls. So i very very seldom take mirror Picard or Surak and most of the usual suspects, and try to avoid taking gauntlet prize people.

Truth is the only people that can stop gauntlet walls is the people loading their gauntlet lists, and i have been doing that a while, so it is nice to see other people making the same considerations as myself.
    Well played Travis, well played indeed. I shall see you all in the gauntlet battle fields, good luck Captains, with whoever you bring. :smile:
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been doing this for about a month, with great results. Agent Janeway, Bride Jadzia, Madame DeNeuf, Mirror Troi, Admiral Nechayev, Assimilated LaForge, One... To name a few that have been working well for me.

I also play against the odds when facing a like crew, which also results in more wins overall. RNG can *sniff* a Targ!

I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been doing this for about a month, with great results. Agent Janeway, Bride Jadzia, Madame DeNeuf, Mirror Troi, Admiral Nechayev, Assimilated LaForge, One... To name a few that have been working well for me.

I also play against the odds when facing a like crew, which also results in more wins overall. RNG can *sniff* a Targ!

I do use Mirror Troi in nearly every gauntlet. There are several higher MED rolls but I like her even 3-stat distribution

• Options
    Here's my current quintet. Arbitrarily decided to go with only 4* crew this time. I very nearly went with another ENG instead of the Gorn Captain, but I just really enjoy using that dude.

2dsfdyqwk9af.jpg
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I realize he was in an Event, but considering he only has 2 Skills, with neither having a Base Roll over 600, and I have never seen a 'Wall' of him, I think it's okay to add him to this conversation. ;)

I have been frequently using my Mirror Bashir to mix things up in The Gauntlet. I have even thrown him in on a number of occasions when neither Engineering nor Security were the featured Skill.

Does anyone else have a 2 Skill character they use, where neither roll is over 600, and you put them into a Gauntlet without either of the 2 Skills being featured?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irial wrote: »
    Yes, I realize he was in an Event, but considering he only has 2 Skills, with neither having a Base Roll over 600, and I have never seen a 'Wall' of him, I think it's okay to add him to this conversation. ;)

I have been frequently using my Mirror Bashir to mix things up in The Gauntlet. I have even thrown him in on a number of occasions when neither Engineering nor Security were the featured Skill.

Does anyone else have a 2 Skill character they use, where neither roll is over 600, and you put them into a Gauntlet without either of the 2 Skills being featured?

Another user of Mirror Bashir? I’m glad I'm not alone. As to your question, I don’t know about any other two-skill crew but I will happily use Mirror Geordi without trait bonuses on a SEC-themed gauntlet. In months past, I rolled out Mirror Kirk and Dr. Soong on a regular basis as well, though they were displaced later by Mirror Picard and Yarnek, respectively.
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Here's my current quintet. Arbitrarily decided to go with only 4* crew this time. I very nearly went with another ENG instead of the Gorn Captain, but I just really enjoy using that dude.

2dsfdyqwk9af.jpg

You could really have a strong 4* crew with
    Weeding T'Pol
    Nurse Faith Garland
    Mirror La Forge
    Commander Elen Landry
    Mirror Phlox

and then there are Bajoran Dukat, ev Suit Tucker and so on...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S31 wrote: »

2dsfdyqwk9af.jpg

You could really have a strong 4* crew with
    Weeding T'Pol
    Nurse Faith Garland
    Mirror La Forge
    Commander Elen Landry
    Mirror Phlox

and then there are Bajoran Dukat, ev Suit Tucker and so on...

Weeding T’Pol. Her proficiency would surely be increased in the science department

• Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea! However the Caretaker finally dropped for me and I want to take him for a test drive, so one more gauntlet before I join in.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea! However the Caretaker finally dropped for me and I want to take him for a test drive, so one more gauntlet before I join in.

I think you will be sold after the test drive. He is a gauntlet must