Home The Bridge
Options

Something needs to be done about the Gauntlet Wall ......

Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
As I stare at yet another 6/6 Guinan 65% crit wall (1 of at least a dozen times this Guantlet), I scratch my bald (yet attractive) Picardesque head and ask myself, Again?!?!?

Generally I am a calm person so I will not mention the expletives I hurled at my phone before the word Again?!?!?. Today however, was completely different. The only time at least 4/6 Guinans weren't staring me down, I had to deal with 4 Caretakers. How about that for fun? 😀. I know the Guantlet isn't perfect, but generally I enjoy it as best as I can. Maybe it's just me as I haven't slept in almost 24 hours but today's Guantlet really got under my nerves.

What do you think, is it just me, or has Guinan been a cruel bartender to me tonight?

Comments

• Options
    In retrospect, I guess I should have posted in the Gauntlet WTF thread but I guess my emotions got the best of me. I will save Shan the trouble. No thread for you. Thread closed.
  • Options
    What i tend to do is play gauntlet one week, then not at all for the next week...so i can calm down from all the gauntlet walls, me 65% crit 2 stats vs 5% crit one stat losses, and the general dull rewards (did i say dull, meant completely USELESS!! i havent gotten chrons, a useable item or even useable component in WEEKS!!) Gauntlet walls are something (as i recall) DB says they dont plan to fix because (say it with me now...) "This is an intended feature, it works just fine." Only think i play gauntlet for anymore is basically to get to locutus for the acheivment, once i do get him...im (most likely...unless, hint hint DB, this stuff stops) gonna stop playing gauntlet. Hmm...seems i sort of piggy backed on your vent to vent myself OP, thanks! I feel better!
  • Options
    Glad to be of service. 😀. I think I will take your advice and take the odd Guantlet break, just to keep my sanity.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much only play when it's Trip's day or Mamma Troi's day. It's fun to see Mrs. Troi best Locutus. "Oh, Jean-Luc, what will your borg friends think?"
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    A Gauntlet lasts two days, but there's a new Gauntlet starting every day (Group A and Group B ). If I spot one that has a triple trait match with one of the widely-owned gauntlet powerhouses that I don't have, like Guinan or M Picard, I usually wait out the 24 hours and try again tomorrow. Yes, there is some time lost, but the frustration reduction is worth it.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either pay the merits or sacrifice a crew. I honestly like it when crew get their special gauntlet days. A wall is annoying, pasting someone with a crew member that has 3 levels of fatigue is funny.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Emmett KEmmett K ✭✭✭
    If they made it so I didn't have to fight a wall of the best characters, my best characters would just hit the non wall guy for easy wins each round.
  • Options
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Either pay the merits or sacrifice a crew. I honestly like it when crew get their special gauntlet days. A wall is annoying, pasting someone with a crew member that has 3 levels of fatigue is funny.

I generally do a fair bit of one or the other. It's just this time around for some reason the wall got under my skin. After a good sleep, I look back in retrospect and remind myself it's a game, enjoy it and have fun. I am going to take the advice of some other posters and skip a Guantlet here or there. I don't mind a challenge but sometimes a break is good too. I enjoy the voyages and events so I will let them keep me a little busy during Guantlet breaks.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't usually care about the occasional Picard or Guinan or Surak wall, but I sure as hell care about a Guinan wall where they all have 65% crit. And I care even more when it seems to happen almost every other gauntlet.

What is going on? Is some algorithm somewhere trolling us?
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    I don't usually care about the occasional Picard or Guinan or Surak wall, but I sure as hell care about a Guinan wall where they all have 65% crit. And I care even more when it seems to happen almost every other gauntlet.

I think DB is just trying to slow everyone down and make it more challenging. Fewer runaway victories and more dilithium usage would be my guess.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

I think DB is just trying to slow everyone down and make it more challenging. Fewer runaway victories and more dilithium usage would be my guess.

Still seeing plenty of runaway victories. And all this makes me do is say "screw gauntlet".

I used to consistently get top 10, but lately I've barely been trying and only getting top 20-30. It's not fun to try and break through all those 65% Guinan walls. Why would I spend anything trying to do so?
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've decided the best way to play the 65% Guinan gauntlet is to give up immediately. I'm not spending any merits and taking whatever I get.

People say this one **tsk tsk** if you don't have Guinan. Well, it **tsk tsk** if you do have her too. Every med and dip combo is dominated by her.

So rather than refreshing repeatedly looking for a winnable match, I say screw it.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still seeing plenty of runaway victories. And all this makes me do is say "screw gauntlet".

I used to consistently get top 10, but lately I've barely been trying and only getting top 20-30. It's not fun to try and break through all those 65% Guinan walls. Why would I spend anything trying to do so?

Well you a wiser than me. I fought the wall and the wall won. 😀

Ha!

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the odd wall, so long as I remember not to waste hundreds of merits. However, I have now had the 'Guinan @ 65%' version for 3 of my last 4 gauntlets, which is complete RNG crap.

I even have Guinan, but she eventually tires, even when she manages to win one or two Guinan-V-Guinan matchups. Unless you have multiple Guinans to go head-to-head with wall after wall of Guinans, it just isn't fun to play (not that it would be even if you had 5 Guinans).
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to refresh the walls...initially as a very new player a LOT of my merits went there.....mostly top 10 rank, occasional top 5.....figured it was alright for the rewards you got, its not like merits are real money. And man I love opening those boxes at the end :)
    then my OH ranked 40 something, got a single rare pull, got a begold....
    Now I don't even spend merits, I rank whatever I rank. If I get a wall I sacrifice a player, if I lose a streak I wait 4 hours. Don't sweat it anymore, just appreciate whatever I do get (which this morning was a super rare baseball for dominion dukat :) )
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, after that first Guinan-centric Gauntlet, I'd already had enough, and so I waited a day to join the next one in order to get on the alternate Gauntlet schedule. And guess what? We haven't had any iterations of that trait combo in this one. (Knock wood.) >:)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    I've decided the best way to play the 65% Guinan gauntlet is to give up immediately. I'm not spending any merits and taking whatever I get.

People say this one *Vegan Poutine* if you don't have Guinan. Well, it *Vegan Poutine* if you do have her too. Every med and dip combo is dominated by her.

So rather than refreshing repeatedly looking for a winnable match, I say screw it.

Not So... My Mirror Troi beat the Guinan wall several times this Gauntlet.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Glad to be of service. 😀. I think I will take your advice and take the odd Guantlet break, just to keep my sanity.

Happy to help, i got back from my gauntlet vacation and got not one but 2 low rarity useful items (its better than nothing), also havent run into too bad of a gauntlet wall (yet!!).
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it’s annoying we got a third Guinan gauntlet in a couple of weeks, but I have to say: if you’re comfortable with red-shirting your gauntlet crew and use the gauntlet as a merit farm instead of a merit/dilithium sink, it’s not so bad. I’m sitting in tenth place right now and haven’t spent a single merit yet.

There is one odd thing I noticed while looking at my rank...two people who clearly are spending a lot in a fight for first:

lsch7lpkhkpx.png

This honestly bugs me more than the DBRNG-tastic traits chosen...people like this make the first-place achievement impossible to get for the rest of us.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's possible to beat a 65% Guinan. She's not even best in slot for each combination. My post was about the bigger picture.
  • Options

There is one odd thing I noticed while looking at my rank...two people who clearly are spending a lot in a fight for first:

To be fair, I haven’t tallied that much trophies before. This one gauntlet was an exception, because I would have stopped had I gotten a copy of a Caretaker, and Spot went to 6k on the first day, so I went for first out of spite.
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »

People say this one *Vegan Poutine* if you don't have Guinan. Well, it *Vegan Poutine* if you do have her too. Every med and dip combo is dominated by her.

The approach of @Dralix is good for one's sanity. 😀.

I have Guinan and Mirror Troi and I got my tail handed to me refresh after refresh for two straight days. I had two wins between the two of them and kept sacrificing other crew to avoid the matchup until they were my last crew each time and I had to send them off to RNG heaven against the wall.
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hop over gauntlet walls in fact I skip them by avoiding the digital diarrhoea that is the gauntlet altogether. Once you realise you don’t have to use the feature the game becomes a lot more fun.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play at most once a week and usually only start 6 hours or less before the end of current one. The less I play the better I feel.
    The only prize that matters to me is the current gauntlet legendary.
    The Locutus achievement is three years away at the rate I am playing.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it’s annoying we got a third Guinan gauntlet in a couple of weeks, but I have to say: if you’re comfortable with red-shirting your gauntlet crew and use the gauntlet as a merit farm instead of a merit/dilithium sink, it’s not so bad. I’m sitting in tenth place right now and haven’t spent a single merit yet.

lsch7lpkhkpx.png

This honestly bugs me more than the DBRNG-tastic traits chosen...people like this make the first-place achievement impossible to get for the rest of us.

I've gotten the first place achievement plenty of times without spending any DIL. You just need to get yourself into the right gauntlet without anyone like that. I've even ended up in gauntlets where it seemed like no one was battling the last 5 minutes.
  • Options
    What annoys me more is the fact that some of the higher ranks (4 to 10 or something) gives less loot boxes, but of the higher rarity than the ranks after them.

Except the rare boxes are rarely better... so it would have been better just to have more of the common boxes. Ironically, those ranks seem to be the hardest to avoid, for me. Can't even drop below them if I try.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elynduil wrote: »
    What annoys me more is the fact that some of the higher ranks (4 to 10 or something) gives less loot boxes, but of the higher rarity than the ranks after them.

Except the rare boxes are rarely better... so it would have been better just to have more of the common boxes. Ironically, those ranks seem to be the hardest to avoid, for me. Can't even drop below them if I try.

Strongly disagree. Top tier boxes don't drop trainers. That makes them significantly more valuable in any proportion.
  • Options
    Perhaps it's because I still need loads and loads of trainers... But most of those uncommon items I have several cargo bays full of.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elynduil wrote: »
    Perhaps it's because I still need loads and loads of trainers... But most of those uncommon items I have several cargo bays full of.

Top tier boxes don't drop uncommon items either - rare or better.