Home The Bridge
Options

Bell Riots Bashir and the Hood.

I’d just like to first off say, please don’t hate post at me because I have a differing opinion. Discussion and criticism that are reasonable and non-offensive are great and thoroughly welcome.

Anyhow, I just recently got my first glimpse at Bell Riots Bashir and I have to say I’m extremely disappointed. The stats are meh but for the most part fair enough and that’s ok by me. What disappoints me really is the art. Roga and Sisko and the new Khan all look great to me, but Bashir, Bashir looks like he was drawn in about 5 minutes time in a total rush. Everyone else has clean lines and he simply does not.

This wouldn’t really bother me all that much if it weren’t for one simple thing; he’s been drawn wearing his hood up. I know, it sounds silly to get irritated over such a thing, but that is essentially what’s bothering me. That blasted hood. With it like it is, you can’t see Bashir’s whole face, and this compounds the sketchy sketching.

I had expected that DB would do the sensible thing and draw Bashir as he is 95 percent of the time during the Bell Riots episodes. With the hood pulled down. Allow me to illustrate.

Bashir should look as he does in one of these image stills.

xael0pra49cm.jpeg
4zu9q2xao253.jpeg
igqz04yhgp7r.jpeg
j1loie9leakm.jpeg
73dqzad3ecwx.jpeg

But instead we get, as I’ve seen one player describe on the forum, Darth Bashir. I don’t know who made this meme, but here’s a little something to illustrate that point further.

o7znvyv3bjhw.jpeg

Ok, that’s my point made. Discuss if you so desire. Sorry if I’m complaining about something you like, but personally, I hate the hood. I’ll still collect and use the character because I love Bashir, but I’ll always be miffed by that fracking hood.
Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I very much agree with you that the artwork is rather unsatisfactory compared to the new Sisko and the others. I don't mind the hood myself, but I find his face not only lacking in detail, but not particularly looking like Siddig, either. Here's a screengrab from TrekCore — it's not a great shot, but I think even with the little bit of his face that we see, it illustrates that just because he's wearing a hood, doesn't mean his face has to be so muddy-looking.

pastense1_403.jpg

Although maybe the fact that I can't find a better screenshot than this means that the artist didn't have a good source image to reproduce, and so was forced to just draw Bashir based on other images of him — which could account for him looking so much less "polished" than Pointing Sisko does.

of5x12oa4972.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they start up DS9 again and Bashir uses his Augmented brain to start up an intergalactic war where he's secretly leading both sides, then I will concede he should becalled Darth Bashir.

Till then he's just a dude using a hood for its intended purpose: keeping your head warm.

Nothing's worse than cold ears.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hood is weird but I like the glow from the fire. But I can't complain, I spent to max running from bees/his ex Jake.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Why is Bashir another Urkel? I guess he fits in with Captain Beverly Crusher Picard.
    Boy, I would not recognize him as Bashir if I was not told it was him.
    @Data1001
    The face definitely could have been better. You are right.

Edit: I know I have seen a similar face. It is another actor but I do not know him well enough to say who it is. Or what I saw him in.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Why is Bashir another Urkel? I guess he fits in with Captain Beverly Crusher Picard.
    Boy, I would not recognize him as Bashir if I was not told it was him.
    @Data1001
    The face definitely could have been better. You are right.

Edit: I know I have seen a similar face. It is another actor but I do not know him well enough to say who it is. Or what I saw him in.

I think you may be thinking of my entry in the name game, Anakin Bashir. His stats are meh in a world of MED/DIP and it looks like Star Wars versus Star Trek. Im going to let my four copies slide out the airlock for 2200 honor
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @Banjo1012
    Even if you leave him at 4F he still would give another crew choice for voyages.
    He should be of use for these events too.

I would think you would be okay on crew slots right now.

Stars wars versus Star Trek ☺️

My suggestion is hold on to him a little while make sure you want to scrap him.
    My crew are all leveled now on both accounts except for Killy and Cadet Wesley Crusher. Leveling them slowly for daily achievements. So leveling Bashir will be a peace of cake and replicating legendary items are no problem. So I will immortalize him.
    Whoa he is an augment have you done the Eugenics collection?
  • Options
    He also doesnt hold a candle to Gabriel Bell, i mean...
    nxvnnbtn1rir.png
    VS.
    rrx0n91ppjwz.png
    Gabriel Bell is just way cooler. Speaking of which, when is DB gonna add Gabriel Bell to the premium portal loot table?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Banjo1012
    Even if you leave him at 4F he still would give another crew choice for voyages.

My crew are all leveled now on both accounts except for Killy and Cadet Wesley Crusher. Leveling them slowly for daily achievements. So leveling Bashir will be a peace of cake and replicating legendary items are no problem. So I will immortalize him.

I just have an overkill of those skills. Cornwell, Drunk Troi, two Mirror Trois, Guinan, Mirror Beverly, Dark Ages McCoy, Crell Moset....I am overloaded with MED/DIP.

• Options
    I love the fire lighting on Bashir, and the face being mercifully free of aggressive neon outlines.
    Too bad it's also free of detail and clarity. :neutral:
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I very much agree with you that the artwork is rather unsatisfactory compared to the new Sisko and the others. I don't mind the hood myself, but I find his face not only lacking in detail, but not particularly looking like Siddig, either. Here's a screengrab from TrekCore — it's not a great shot, but I think even with the little bit of his face that we see, it illustrates that just because he's wearing a hood, doesn't mean his face has to be so muddy-looking.

pastense1_403.jpg

Although maybe the fact that I can't find a better screenshot than this means that the artist didn't have a good source image to reproduce, and so was forced to just draw Bashir based on other images of him — which could account for him looking so much less "polished" than Pointing Sisko does.

of5x12oa4972.jpg

It’s a pretty bad angle of a screenshot for an artist to try and use, yes. That’s probably why he ended up being so unrefined looking. The face itself has some really shoddy lines but his body isn’t really any better.

I did an image search for Bashir of that episode and couldn’t find a single hood-up pic, so you lucked out I suppose, but to me, that just goes to show that DB used the worst possible position for the artist to render Bashir in.

@(CSF) Jesus Is Lord [••••] I completely agree with you. Bell Riots Sisko is so much better than Bashir.

@Ivanstone Sorry, but we’re calling him Darth Bashir from now on, lol.

Honestly though, I’d probably be more ok with the hood if DB were to take it back and give him more definition, especially in the face. I dunno, the Hood makes him look bald and just plain weird.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    3354042zbbfe.png

Congratulations to Gareth Bale scores two goals in the European cup final and a week later ends up in Timelines mega event
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    [trimmed]
    xael0pra49cm.jpeg
    [trimmed]

Don't you think they might have gotten the facial expression off this image, and the costume/pose from another?
  • Options
    Well hair is really hard to draw. You expect the DB artists to draw hair....hands...all the hard stuff. The reoccurring 5* jpeg only costs $25 to FF....and you want hair???
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    "Inferior Quality Bashir". Lol, is he even augmented?
  • Options
    guest_7456guest_7456 ✭✭✭

maybe one of the whales can send db a dvd boxset of the show so they can have any screenshot they want : )

Seriously... a lot of the character art does seem to be based on the screenshots that are on memory alpha or come up in a google search of the character's name. Maybe they don't actually have access to the episodes which would explain some things.

That being said, I'm excited for darth bashir. now i want Han Okona to complement the crossover set.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    guest_7456 wrote: »

maybe one of the whales can send db a dvd boxset of the show so they can have any screenshot they want : )

Seriously... a lot of the character art does seem to be based on the screenshots that are on memory alpha or come up in a google search of the character's name. Maybe they don't actually have access to the episodes which would explain some things.

That being said, I'm excited for darth bashir. now i want Han Okona to complement the crossover set.

I think several folks have also offered watch parties for the devs so they can actually see a real episode or two now and again.

If I lived in Boston they'd be getting regular invitations.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    @Banjo1012

I just have an overkill of those skills. Cornwell, Drunk Troi, two Mirror Trois, Guinan, Mirror Beverly, Dark Ages McCoy, Crell Moset....I am overloaded with MED/DIP.

The only other thing he would count for the Augment collection.
    And when event is over if you citation him you can freeze him.

• Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    This just kind of illustrates that people will complain about the most asinine things.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darxide wrote: »
    This just kind of illustrates that people will complain about the most asinine things.

No complaints about getting four free legendaries here. Just saying I prolly won’t keep them
  • Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    There are a couple more screenshots of ‘Hooded’ Bashir from the episode here:
    http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=50&page=17

If it doesn’t take you to the right page, it’s page 17.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I've thought for a while that most versions of Bashir have come out kind of odd-looking, especially around the faces. Bond Bashir and Mirror Bashir look pretty good, but they're the exceptions. Alternate Future and CMO are especially... Odd.

Darth Bashir is better than those, for sure, and yeah, I'm getting a kick out of the nickname (even if hood-down would have been my first choice).

I'm leveling him all the way, since he'll be my new best base med, and is so far looking great for shuttles, voyages, and skirmishes. No complaints on that front from me. Anyway, I love the character and that episode in particular, so I'd have leveled him regardless.

I do wish they'd go back in and get the face detail, though, and is it just me or does the whole pic look a bit wide, like it got slightly squished? Still, a nice addition to my crew.

[ETA: after watching his icon pop up in skirmishes all afternoon, looking like he really is going after opposing ships with the power of the force... Count me completely won over.]
  • Options
    I assume one of the things that gets a fair amount of thought is how to make each version of the character distinctive from the others, especially in the thumbnail view (with certain unfortunate exceptions - there are a couple of versions of Archer and Janeway that show how bad things can get when the template looks the same or the art gets cloned).

Bashir generally doesn't wear a hood, so this was a rare opportunity to do something a little different with that thumbnail. I'm cool with it on those grounds, especially given that the lighting is fantastic.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darxide wrote: »

My complaint is that no one mocked up a Bell Riots Bashir in the 'Hood pic.
  • Options
    Bashir generally doesn't wear a hood, so this was a rare opportunity to do something a little different with that thumbnail. I'm cool with it on those grounds, especially given that the lighting is fantastic.

Good point - the hood is a one-off in the whole game, yes?
    And the lighting really is nice on this one.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I've thought for a while that most versions of Bashir have come out kind of odd-looking, especially around the faces. Bond Bashir and Mirror Bashir look pretty good, but they're the exceptions. Alternate Future and CMO are especially... Odd.

Totally agree. A number of them are just weird.

x0mb7qrroaot.jpg

My unfiltered opinion? RAF is by far the best, followed very closely by BJB, and then Mirror. Racquetball isn't terrible, but it's a little too "Zoolander" for me, lol. Of the ones on the bottom end, Darth is the best of that batch, then CMO... but AF is just weird AF.

Edit: Forgot about Changeling Bashir — who, though not a Bashir, still is supposed to look like him, obviously. I'd probably put him somewhere in the middle, between Mirror and Zoolander Julian.

Changeling_Bashir_Head.png

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zann Calcore I thoroughly enjoy this thread. I haven't watched enough DS9 to be invested in Bashir, so I am more entertained by the Darth Bashir name and meme. I hope for better art in the future, but as much as I like Picard, the Soup Kitchen Picard is just funny. I'm perfectly fine with laughing at a beloved character and hoping they do better next time. Although... Maybe the memorable qualities of the art has more value than trying to make every character awesome.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    My unfiltered opinion? RAF is by far the best, followed very closely by BJB, and then Mirror. Racquetball isn't terrible, but it's a little too "Zoolander" for me, lol. Of the ones on the bottom end, Darth is the best of that batch, then CMO... but AF is just weird AF.

Edit: Forgot about Changeling Bashir — who, though not a Bashir, still is supposed to look like him, obviously. I'd probably put him somewhere in the middle, between Mirror and Zoolander Julian.

How could I forget R.A.F Julian? Yes, absolutely the best of the batch, and Changling Bashir is good too. But I will never again be able to think of Racquetball in any other way but as "Zoolander Julian." That is amazing.
  • Options
    @Zann Calcore I thoroughly enjoy this thread. I haven't watched enough DS9 to be invested in Bashir, so I am more entertained by the Darth Bashir name and meme. I hope for better art in the future, but as much as I like Picard, the Soup Kitchen Picard is just funny. I'm perfectly fine with laughing at a beloved character and hoping they do better next time. Although... Maybe the memorable qualities of the art has more value than trying to make every character awesome.

Somehow I'd missed the "Soup Kitchen Picard" nickname altogether, but you're right: I immediately knew which you meant, and I immediately like it better than before. likewise "Running from Bees Jake Sisko," which I genuinely liked already, (another favorite episode), but which now makes me grin just to think about it.

I think you've got it exactly right : Bell Riots Bashir may not be the definitive portrait of one of my favorite characters, but as "Darth Bashir" he's a damned funny and memorable one, which may just be the bigger win.