Home The Bridge
Options

Bell Riots Bashir and the Hood.

2»

Comments

• Options
    I agree the lines could be a bit more crisp and I personally would have loved if they’d gone with this version:
    0kkvdlxltb4g.jpeg

But I have to say I love what the artist did with Darth Bashir’s expression. He is generally one of the more chipper characters and the way he gives up and loses faith in humanity in these episodes is one of his most compelling character arcs, and really allows siddig’s acting to shine and gives greater depth to Sisko’s abilities as a leader. Considering the lighting and a dark expression that we rarely see from bashir I think it came out great
  • Options
    [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    @[TUFG] Captain Zlog - Although, I've noticed that the characters are always standing up, so this pose wouldn't have worked, I guess.

As for me, I think they should just send the Bell Riots Bashir art to one of those PhotoShop touch-up people that make the models look better than real, and say, "Do your thing". I think you can find some on Fiverr...
  • Options
    Zann Calcore (ISA)Zann Calcore (ISA) ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    @[BL] Q Lol.

@Elynduil Possibly.

@RikerWasNumber1 If hair and hands are hard to draw for someone, then shouldn’t that person NOT be considered for an artistic job that requires a great deal of those things to be drawn?

@guest_7456 and @Pallidyne Yes, the guys at DB definitely need to actually watch some Star Trek. They’re all the time making weird errors. No one is perfect, of course, but you kind of expect some basic knowledge of the material. I think they’ve gotten a lot better over this past year though, so maybe one of them is reviewing the shows on Netflix.

@Darxide This forum is about discussing the game and Star Trek in general. If that happens to include the occasional complaint, that’s fine. Also, I’d say this is more of a discussion of an oddity and the ensuing slight disappointment, not an out and out complaint. Take it all how you will.

@Dralix Thank you for that, lol.

@Data1001 Some of them do look a bit odd, yes. I’d have to disagree with AF Bashir though, simply because in that episode he actually looks like that. I mean, he looks weird in his illustration because he looked weird in his makeup in that episode as well, so I don’t blame the artist so much as the makeup people for DS9, lol. He still looks pretty cool one way or another though and not nearly as odd as CMO Bashir. Also, I thought Raquetball’s angle always looked odd too but then I saw a screenshot that looked very similar.

@Prime Lorca Well, I’m glad you do. I do like it when I can actually start an interesting thread that draws out good conversation. So thanks. Also, I love the nicknames; Soup Picard, Gun Show Picard, Jazz Hands Odo, Darth Bashir.

Oh, and yes, I absolutely agree that R.A.F. Bashir is the best looking Bashir of the bunch so far.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    As an aside, a interesting case study in how they design the artwork, is that of Changeling Bashir:
    Changeling_Bashir_Full.png

The image is clearly based on this screencap (or one captured a maximum of one second earlier), from The Adversary (3x26):
    latest?cb=20060508185309&path-prefix=en

Yet this crew character in STT is depicted as the one from By Inferno's Light (5x15), almost two full seasons later - the second time Bashir was impersonated by a changeling. The artist did, however, have the presence of mind to adapt the uniform to the newer style, so that it would fit the depiction from the later episode.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Elynduil wrote: »
    As an aside, a interesting case study in how they design the artwork, is that of Changeling Bashir:
    Changeling_Bashir_Full.png

True Confession: the first time I saw Changeling Bashir in the game (and before I saw a full-size image of him which would've clarified the situation for me immediately), I didn't put two and two together that he was in mid-body-morph, and just thought he was wearing some sort of gold lamé suit, a la that famous shot of Elvis...

qvpaot5dkb95.jpg

Waitaminute — was Elvis a changeling? (Hmm... maybe all those supermarket tabloids claiming he was an alien aren't that far off the mark...)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Don't you think Changeling Bashir is thinking, "I got them all fooled. No Changeling has got the face down as good as me." Then you look down at the rest of the body😉
  • Options
    Considering his not-insignificant MED skill, you gotta wonder how he ends up not butchering all his patients the moment he attempts surgery with those two clubs-for-hands...
  • Options
    JassadaJassada ✭✭✭
    I was also a little disappointed with the art on this character from one of my favourite Bashir episodes. However, I think it could be worse. He is definitely recognizable. Could have been better, though...
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering his not-insignificant MED skill, you gotta wonder how he ends up not butchering all his patients the moment he attempts surgery with those two clubs-for-hands...

Lol😂

• Options
    @[TUFG] Captain Zlog - Although, I've noticed that the characters are always standing up, so this pose wouldn't have worked, I guess.
    Interfaced Barclay would beg to differ

qva2snuy97zh.png

Jk, he’s a mess lol I just like wounded bashir’s outfit :D
  • Options
    Interfaced Barclay would beg to differ

qva2snuy97zh.png

Jk, he’s a mess lol I just like wounded bashir’s outfit :D

Interfaced Barclay is one of my all time favorites. Also, Red Geordi, aka Alan-A-Dale, is also a sitting down character, lol.

nv6e1bdlylow.png
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    Well, they seem to be the exception to the rule... and they both get a prop to elevate them. Still, it's a bit weird. Not at bad as the Hockey cards, though...
  • Options
    lxlx ✭✭
    Uh. Apparently the writers of this event did not realize that... Bashir IS an Augment?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lx wrote: »
    Uh. Apparently the writers of this event did not realize that... Bashir IS an Augment?

I thought that "pretending to be an Augment" was a very strange line, myself.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    I was curious about that line too.

Or is Bashir meant to be still keeping that a secret at this point in the event story, pretending he's not augmented since at the time of "Past Tense," he hadn't been outed yet?

Actually, in retrospect, that makes a lot of sense: Bell Riots Bashir doesn't yet know that we know...
  • Options
    The problem is with the eyebrows. The overly shaded eyes due to the hood makes him look like he has a giant unibrow. I have to say this is the worst Bashir artwork I've seen. It's not mirror Data bad...its just not very good. When I saw the artwork I was not excited to add this to my collection. It may be one of the first 5* cards I freeze.
  • Options
    lxlx ✭✭
    Oh haha, good point. At that point he DIDN'T know. Except, surely in a vast temporal anomaly where there are dozens of you going around at any given time you'd find out sooner than later?

Anyway, fun event. Kinda wish the skirmishes were a little more variable from attempt to attempt though. Felt like a repetitive grind by the end.
  • Options
    The problem is with the eyebrows. The overly shaded eyes due to the hood makes him look like he has a giant unibrow. I have to say this is the worst Bashir artwork I've seen. It's not mirror Data bad...its just not very good. When I saw the artwork I was not excited to add this to my collection. It may be one of the first 5* cards I freeze.

Come now. There's no way this is worse than CMO Bashir! (Or Alternate Future Bashir, though as was pointed out up-thread, the age makeup in the actual episode looked just as weird, so maybe that doen't count.)

In any case, much as I wish they'd revisit the face detail, this version has grown on me (thanks in no small part to this thread). And since I've gone ahead and cited up to 2 stars, Darth Bashir is already my best med. He's been seeing plenty of use in voyages, shuttles, battles, the weekend skirmishes... No freezing in this card's future for me.
  • Options
    To me, doesn't matter about the art in any of the Bashirs (although I do agree that RAF is the best, and I got a kick out of the Zoolander reference). I do love me some Alexander Siddig in Star Trek, however when I look at Bashir, I don't see Bashir. I see Hamri Al-Assad.

u8n6kpshvbv0.jpgu5fgcmhjq8bb.jpg

Now 24, THAT show was some art for sure.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d just like to first off say, please don’t hate post at me because I have a differing opinion. Discussion and criticism that are reasonable and non-offensive are great and thoroughly welcome.

Anyhow, I just recently got my first glimpse at Bell Riots Bashir and I have to say I’m extremely disappointed. The stats are meh but for the most part fair enough and that’s ok by me. What disappoints me really is the art. Roga and Sisko and the new Khan all look great to me, but Bashir, Bashir looks like he was drawn in about 5 minutes time in a total rush. Everyone else has clean lines and he simply does not.

This wouldn’t really bother me all that much if it weren’t for one simple thing; he’s been drawn wearing his hood up. I know, it sounds silly to get irritated over such a thing, but that is essentially what’s bothering me. That blasted hood. With it like it is, you can’t see Bashir’s whole face, and this compounds the sketchy sketching.

I had expected that DB would do the sensible thing and draw Bashir as he is 95 percent of the time during the Bell Riots episodes. With the hood pulled down. Allow me to illustrate.

Bashir should look as he does in one of these image stills.

xael0pra49cm.jpeg
    4zu9q2xao253.jpeg
    igqz04yhgp7r.jpeg
    j1loie9leakm.jpeg
    73dqzad3ecwx.jpeg

But instead we get, as I’ve seen one player describe on the forum, Darth Bashir. I don’t know who made this meme, but here’s a little something to illustrate that point further.

o7znvyv3bjhw.jpeg

Ok, that’s my point made. Discuss if you so desire. Sorry if I’m complaining about something you like, but personally, I hate the hood. I’ll still collect and use the character because I love Bashir, but I’ll always be miffed by that fracking hood.

Am I the only one who thinks he looks like that guy playing Satan in something a few years ago? The one that people said looked Satanic Obama?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/does-satan-actor-in-the-bible-look-like-obama-nonsense-producers-say/2013/03/18/0b22c65c-9013-11e2-9cfd-36d6c9b5d7ad_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6a02034f786b
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?