Home The Bridge

Skirmish Event is a Winner

Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
As the first skirmish event winds down, I must say I will be sorry to see it go. The rewards were fantastic, thresholds were easy to finish, and it did a great job of breaking the event staleness. DB, you did us good by creating this event. You also treated us very well regarding the rewards. On top of all that, it was easy to sustain continued play. What I spent in chrons, I got back in the rewards of playing. I definitely look forward to the next Skirmish Event.

Comments

• Agreed
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    I farmed a ton of medical experiments and various rarities of latinum from the constant stream of chronitons from the skirmish that I KNOW I'll be thankful for in future crew levelling so I agree I enjoyed it... arguably more tap tap tap even than a Galaxy tho
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry... meant science experiment, not medical
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rewards good. Gameplay exhaustingly more tedious and never ending.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I hope they leave rewards intact but increase the cap on intel costs modestly. I think 1500 would be good.

Edit: Adding an additional tier of difficulty might be nice too. I get that not everyone can beat the current Elite, which is fine, but the actual ship battles are 100% trivialized by maxed ships and even a moderately good crew.
  • Yeah, I have to say I loved it. I found myself actually playing the game probably 2-3 times as much as I normally would during an event. I loved the honor I racked up, and I got to finish FF or FE 10-12 characters, and got a bunch more to Lvl 80 or 90. The fact that I got a Sisko card I figured I had NO shot at is a bonus.
  • I liked parts of it but, having finished the threshold on Thursday night, was mostly just playing for position. Maybe next time there will either be slightly lower Event point payout, or another tier on the threshold, like a couple of events did (600k, etc.).
  • Was a good event. Had my fun grinding, which is rare. And for once, even if I don't get high in the leaderboards, rewards felt rewarding for once. Felt good to carry a heap of chrons and a new truckload of honour home.

(Hint hint: Improve the rewards in other events as well? Pretty please? *puppy eyes*)
  • But this was just too much to stay competitive. I went from "Alright, I just need to stay in top 250 for some sweet rewards" to "Alright, I just need to stay in top 500 for some sweet rewards" to "Jeez, I hope I stay in top 1000 for a Sisko. I'm getting bored."

This.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Needing 640K vp just to maintain top 1500 is a bit ridiculous. Intel gained from ship missions need to be reduced or the intel costs increased. I still have 40K intel left.

This is mitigated by the loot boxes though. Shuttle events provide their own loot as it is. This concept could be transported to Galaxies and Expeditions which would make grinding in both more tolerable.

Threshold rewards also need to be seriously increased.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I nodded off more than once, luckily my ship fought the battle for me. I hope they make the next one more engaging somehow.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I nodded off more than once, luckily my ship fought the battle for me. I hope they make the next one more engaging somehow.

As I suggested in another thread, make a ladder of difficulties. Make it easy to get the threshold awards for long term players, but make it competitive for those wanting to rank.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually those are the only battles I lost on epic, the times I fell asleep it was sooo engaging.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    But this was just too much to stay competitive. I went from "Alright, I just need to stay in top 250 for some sweet rewards" to "Alright, I just need to stay in top 500 for some sweet rewards" to "Jeez, I hope I stay in top 1000 for a Sisko. I'm getting bored."

This.

Yes fully agreed.

DB need to think about the cycle of Chronitons --> Intel --> Skirmish --> Chronitons

In 17 Skirmishes, I have gained about 1700 Chronitons, using these on ship battles will net me 17000 Intel, enough for 14 Skirmishes. If I was to spend 10 dil per skirmish, I would get into a never ending cycle of gaining Chronitons.

This event means the player with the most time wins.

At least I have enough 2* databases to keep me going for a few weeks.
  • Unfortunately I hated every mind numbing minute of this event. And I wanted this sisko badly. Not going to get him since the ranked rewards structure is still set from when the game only had 10,000 players.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • JassadaJassada ✭✭✭
    DB need to think about the cycle of Chronitons --> Intel --> Skirmish --> Chronitons

In 17 Skirmishes, I have gained about 1700 Chronitons, using these on ship battles will net me 17000 Intel, enough for 14 Skirmishes. If I was to spend 10 dil per skirmish, I would get into a never ending cycle of gaining Chronitons.

This event means the player with the most time wins.

Exactly. There is simply no reason to stop playing except for real life or extreme boredom.

• FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Chron drops increased drastically this morning (almost made me late for work!)
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    But this was just too much to stay competitive. I went from "Alright, I just need to stay in top 250 for some sweet rewards" to "Alright, I just need to stay in top 500 for some sweet rewards" to "Jeez, I hope I stay in top 1000 for a Sisko. I'm getting bored."

This.

Yes fully agreed.

Well, yes, this event could be a little less time-consuming. But I would hate for them to make it less rewarding to achieve that. And any tinkering with the Intel yield from ship battles or the Intel cost of skirmishes will make it less rewarding.

I would much prefer it if they tried appeasing the player base with the following things first:
    1. Radically decrease the time taken by the opening and closing animations of each ship battle (or give the option to turn those animations off).
    2. Add a fourth layer of difficulty ("Ultimate" sounds good), which gives more VP while costing more Intel, and also gives higher bonus rolls - all scaled up along the same ratio. Then the only advantage/disadvantage from using the higher difficulty is an advantage in time spent. Which is valuable, so it's definitely still worth it.
    3. Replace the Intel prize on the bonus rolls with something more useful/sensible. How about event ship schematics, like @Cpt. Caveman suggested? Even really small amounts of schems would make much more sense than extra Intel we don't want or need.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I liked it up until 5 minutes ago when I found out I missed top 1000 by 7 slots.... I was in the 700s just an hour before the end :(

Other than that, though, it was pretty great. I loved being able to level crew, collect Starbase materials, explore new ship configurations, etc... A little grindy? Sure, but that's just the game.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    I liked it up until 5 minutes ago when I found out I missed top 1000 by 7 slots.... I was in the 700s just an hour before the end :(

Other than that, though, it was pretty great. I loved being able to level crew, collect Starbase materials, explore new ship configurations, etc... A little grindy? Sure, but that's just the game.

A little grindy (galaxy) I can deal with.

A lot grindy (expedition with bonus tickets over a reduced time and a holiday) was painful.

Skirmishes is the poster child for Grind-fest-palooza. 1.85m wasn’t enough for top 50 (I think it was probably over 2m). I did enough grinding to supply Starbucks for a decade. If skirmishes were a peppermill, I would have to replace it because the blades would have been dulled to nothing from all the grinding.

Having said that, I’m happy with skirmishes and I do like the tonne of honour, credits and holoemitters along with farmed items that made the grind-a-thon more worthwhile.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

For me — since I had no interest in Pointing Sisko or Danar — it was, "Jeez, I hope I can stay in the top 5000 so I can at least get Redshirt Khan FF." I had thought that'd be easy-peasy, lemon squeezy, and I could kick back and have a mostly free weekend without having to worry about that. But of course, it was not easy-peasy. (I did make it, however — ending at 4325.)

On one of my alt accounts, I stopped playing soon after clearing the last threshold reward, and my final rank was 13,176 — which is insane. Overall, I'm a fan of the event structure, but it definitely needs tweaking, as the VP was stacked way higher than it should've been.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    Or... lots of players who don't normally rank high was absolutely overjoyed at the chance to do well for once? You know... the type of people who don't post here. *shrug*
  • How the hell am I supposed to follow that. Very grindy but far more value in time spent compared to galaxy or expedition. Galaxy gives very little for playing past threshold but depleting my inventory. Expedition cost far more than that skirmish event and again provide less rewards but I usually can place a higher rank since less players put in the effort. I expect future skirmish to be less intense. Would really hate to see the rewards nerfed and would actually like to see another difficulty tier added. I loved that the more time spent on event actually yielded some useful rewards versus just rank jockeying.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    That's a fair point. The event might police itself. I know I would think very hard before committing to top 1000 again. It would have to be someone I really wanted. But I'm sure many others feel the same and the next event might require 600,000 instead of 750,000.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."