Home The Bridge

Question for Players Who Voted for Augments in This Mega-Event

I'm curious what players who voted for the Augments wanted, because as of today's announcement of next week's Featured Crew, the Augment side of this mega-event so far includes:

4* Roga Danar
4* Young Khan
4* Malik
4* Arik Soong
5* Species 8472
4* Drone Seven of Nine

I can understand how players who voted for the Augments as this mega's faction might be disappointed. Even if we score Bell Riots Bashir and Sarina Douglas for the Augments, that still leaves a full half of the Augment side not even having the Augment trait, and then there's the whole Political Augment vs. Physiological Augment thing. Species 8472 and Drone Seven of Nine are very clearly not Political Augments, and it takes a good deal of stretching to even lump them in with Physiological Augments. So far, there are only two Political and Physiological Augments in the whole affair, and one of them (Young Khan) was existing already.

What I can't understand is just what Augment voters thought they might get out of this faction being spotlighted for a four-week mega-event. Who else even is there, without getting into the non-canonical Timelines original crew that so many despise on principle? Khan minions who didn't even get a name in "Space Seed" or TWOK? What am I overlooking here? What was the appeal of voting for Augments?

Comments

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malik? Check.

Another Khan? Check, though I would have personally preferred a semi-canon 20th Century Warlord Khan instead of a popsicle.

Raakin? Probably not.

Sarina Douglas? Check.

Section 31/Formal Dress Bashir? No but we have Darth Bashir, who is okay.

I voted for the Augments because Khan is still the best Trek villain of all time and because Enterprise helped fill in more backstory on what is, to me, one of the more fascinating story arcs throughout the Trek lore. Think about it: by the 2150s World War III was movie fodder. By the 24th century the Federation and Klingons are good friends rather than mortal enemies. But nearly 400 years after the Eugenics Wars, humanity is so terrified of genetic experimentation that Bashir would have gone from one of Starfleet’s finest to a plumber if his father hadn’t cut that deal and gone to prison. Why, of all of the dark spots of human history in Trek, do the Augments have such an impact on their society for so long?

I had hoped that a good story would result but so far it’s been a little flat and some of the characters I had hoped to see haven’t panned out.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the results of the pull I expected two things to happen:
    1 - Augment Janeway
    2 - Chief of Operations Burnham

Everything else is gravy.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    it was thought at time of vote that augment won due to the lack of them for easy collection completion. That being the case, we have added 4 new ones in 3 events, with 3* Khan, Malik, Sarina, and Darth Bashir. that is 40% of the final collection total needed and the only 5* among those being 4/5 Bashir. I know that some folks have expressed being happy they will be done once they finish Bashir.
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    I voted for this combo but I never expected all the featured crew to be exclusive ds9 or augment. Timelines always mixes all the shows up, we just voted for the theme.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was actually expecting some ENT Klingon Augments. And then maybe bring in a Chancellor Martok to give them a pep talk into helping to defend DS9 or something.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a stupid question.

(sorry Travis I had to.)

As an aside, I was thinking about the Misfits and to be honest, I'd have been content if they'd all been 3*'s. Sarina Douglas merits a 4* in my mind because she had the strongest individual story, in "Chrysalis". I'd go along with Admiral Patrick as a 4* for the novelty factor, but if his sound clip repertoire consisted of each time he spoke that one sentence, I'd get behind him being a 5*.
  • When the event was announced, I thought there was a good chance we'd get one or more of the misfits, plus a new Bashir, plus Stavos Keniclius.
  • Captain LostCaptain Lost ✭✭✭✭
    That's a stupid question.

(sorry Travis I had to.)

As an aside, I was thinking about the Misfits and to be honest, I'd have been content if they'd all been 3*'s. Sarina Douglas merits a 4* in my mind because she had the strongest individual story, in "Chrysalis". I'd go along with Admiral Patrick as a 4* for the novelty factor, but if his sound clip repertoire consisted of each time he spoke that one sentence, I'd get behind him being a 5*.

That is my feeling as well. I like Statistical Probabilities well enough, but I wouldn't have wanted a whole Mega event focused on the Jack pack. One new Misfit 3* in each event ranked rewards, with maybe a 4* or 5* Admiral Patrick at the end would have been fun. I would have preferred Redshirt Khan as a 4* or a 5* myself, though I guess he could have made sense as a 2*.

• That's a stupid question.

(sorry Travis I had to.)

Maybe I missed the mark, and I like Bell Riots crew, but I'd been asking for Sarina as the recurring legendary. I think she's a worthy high powered dual-primary SCI+ENG with a MED or DIP tertiary.

Patrick could have two quotes:
    "That's a stupid question." and "That's a stupid question too."

It's one of those, got to have the quote scenarios.
  • EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭
    I really get were you guys are coming from.... and it does seem like the guys at DB think, "OK, we got this guy ready, let's go with him."

I really can't even guess what factors they take into consideration when selecting new crew for an event like this one.

I understand that this is Timelines and all realities are meshed together but still it leaves a person wanting a theme and some sort of logical connection between the event crew and the events. Sort of like Kirk and Picard in the nexus.... you had to have the prologue of the Enterprise B to set up the events in the story,

Now I want a Species 8472 but I am disappointed that he is in this event. He deserves his own story line with 3* Boothby and someone from Voyager.

I think these mega events would be better if they had a tighter story line and a logical progression from one event to the next and crew that fit peoples' expectations.... but that's just me :)
  • The reason I voted for the augments was they were the least bad option. 2 of our choices were "ferengi".

Sarina is great, and I am super excited about 8472, even though it's not a real "augment" faction choice.

But it was Enterprise that covered a lot of that story, so we should get characters from that.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I voted for the augments was they were the least bad option.

This was exactly my reasoning, as well. I don't recall what all the other choices were, but it was more like, "Eh, that could be cool," rather than, "Omigod yes yes yes!!" And I also voted TNG, perhaps thinking that some non-canon Augments might be created. (But mostly because TNG is still my favorite Trek series. ;) )

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind who they pick so long as there's some consistency. Like, I thought it was going to be a Bell Riots DS9 thingo with augments, so I'm expecting Kira and O'Brien and some Augments along the line of what we've seen in the first two.

Then we get Sarena, who feels like a shoe-in, species 8472 who seem utterly random, and Drone 7 who's been in a few events already, has been a monthly reward, is from Voyager, and is a Borg. It just feels jarringly different from the first two events more than innapropriate.

I'm personally disappointed, because I keep saving chronos for a galaxy I want to smash, yet I haven't had one in months that I want to go hard in. All the fun crew turn up in factions, which I do quite averagely in.

If Drone 7 is threshold, someone remind me to get Bell Bashir because I might forget he's in it and not bother to play.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
    I don't mind who they pick so long as there's some consistency. Like, I thought it was going to be a Bell Riots DS9 thingo with augments, so I'm expecting Kira and O'Brien and some Augments along the line of what we've seen in the first two.

Then we get Sarena, who feels like a shoe-in, species 8472 who seem utterly random, and Drone 7 who's been in a few events already, has been a monthly reward, is from Voyager, and is a Borg. It just feels jarringly different from the first two events more than innapropriate.

I'm personally disappointed, because I keep saving chronos for a galaxy I want to smash, yet I haven't had one in months that I want to go hard in. All the fun crew turn up in factions, which I do quite averagely in.

If Drone 7 is threshold, someone remind me to get Bell Bashir because I might forget he's in it and not bother to play.

To date, whichever reward schema they've gone with in a mega-event has been used throughout. It would be unprecedented for the existing Drone Seven of Nine to be in the rank rewards. It's entirely possible, certainly, but having gone through the history of these things over the last two years, I'll be surprised if she is.
  • I was strictly hoping for Malik, the DS9 Augments AKA the Jack Pack, a new Bashir, and maybe some new DS9 crew or other forms of Khan, Arik Soong, or Enterprise Augments.

I can easily accept Roga Danar because he’s an augmented person, so that fits the bill. The weird Voyager additions are NOT something I was looking for in this event cycle.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't vote in for the Augments, but when I saw that Augments won I assumed that many players choose them for gameplay reasons, ie 0* medical experiments and 2* science experiments.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't vote in for the Augments, but when I saw that Augments won I assumed that many players choose them for gameplay reasons, ie 0* medical experiments and 2* science experiments.

The only thing that comes to mind for me with a mega when it comes to faction items like that is usually needing a ton of them for the crew that month (not getting a bunch of them, but having to spend them). As in Klingon month needed lots of Bloodwine, Gagh, Warnog... Vulcan month needed a bunch of IDIC's... This month we've needed things like 105 basic Med Experiments to level Riots Bashir... Gameplay, as in being able to get them/farm them doesn't even come to mind, but that's just me.

I feel like I kinda remember someone saying something to that effect around the time of the survey, but I don't care enough to search the forum. If this was the reasoning for anyone, they're surely even more disappointed by the event than anyone who voted based on crew they wanted to see added. In the first three weeks, we've only had shuttles for one event, and Augments weren't even one of the three factions in it.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I voted for the augments was they were the least bad option. 2 of our choices were "ferengi".

Sarina is great, and I am super excited about 8472, even though it's not a real "augment" faction choice.

But it was Enterprise that covered a lot of that story, so we should get characters from that.

I voted Dominion, I definitely think they were/are a head above the augments and are definitely not a "bad" option.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Cpt. CavemanCpt. Caveman ✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting 4 weeks / each of the Statistical Probabilities crew as a 4* each week, with maybe a 2* Sarina and 5* sarina. When they announced it was DS9+Augment the boards were flooded with people wanting them.

So, unless there were last minute contract problems getting the rights to those characters, I'm very disappointed with the idea of putting Voyager crew in.

I would have even been okay with them taking a page from another comic book Trek and using Victorious Khan

r0ogpbhnoum1.png
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I lean to TOS rather than the later series, I was hoping for / expecting Wrathful Khan and/or Joachim to show up at some point. I'm happy we got a new Khan in one of his iconic looks, even if only as a 3*. Obviously I expected Bashir as well. After that... didn't really care who they chose.

I guess I'm feeling a bit like I did with the Mirror mega. How can you have 4 weeks of the mirror universe and feature Emperor Spock in the story dialog, but not have Mirror Spock as an event crew? So here we are in an Augment mega, and the original Augments that started it all aren't going to make an appearance? (Sorry, Young Khan doesn't count - he's been in the game repeatedly in the past few months, so his appearance is meh.)
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm feeling a bit like I did with the Mirror mega. How can you have 4 weeks of the mirror universe and feature Emperor Spock in the story dialog, but not have Mirror Spock as an event crew?

This one is simple business - it's extremely unlikely for 5* crew to repeat outside of an event repeat. Because people pay for the new 5*.
    So here we are in an Augment mega, and the original Augments that started it all aren't going to make an appearance? (Sorry, Young Khan doesn't count - he's been in the game repeatedly in the past few months, so his appearance is meh.)

Mostly the same as issue as with Mirror Spock.
    edited June 2018
    It's not unprecedented for an existing 5* to feature in a first run event:

Bashir, Julian Bashir - "Holograms Are Forever" (pack only; 5* Jazz Musician Odo was the top rank reward)
    Dr. Soong - "Ghost in the Machine" (pack only; 5* Rogue Kai Winn was the top rank reward)
    Frank Hollander - "Dictators, Unite!" (pack only; 5* Interfaced Barclay was the top rank reward)
    Orion Vina - "Liberty for All 2"
    The Traveler - "Endgame"
    Grand Nagus Rom - "The Whole Truth"
    Scientist Degra - "Extinction Point"
    Grilka - "A Good Day to Lie 1: Scales of Power"
    Captain Pike - "Mind and Matter" (a last minute substitution because of rights issues with the planned 5*, Charlie X)

Frank Hollander is also noteworthy as he debuted in the Featured Crew for "A Brute Squad", making him the only 5* in the game to be in the Featured Crew for two different first run events.

That's nine existing 5*'s in the Featured Crew of 86 first run events, which is a far higher percentage than I would have guessed!
  • JayBeezyJayBeezy ✭✭✭
    I voted Augment, because I thought that we'd get a handful of new 4 star characters with the Augment trait, making it possible for me to achieve the next threshold on the collection. In that sense, the choice of crew for the event has been somewhat disappointing. A three star Khan was a nice surprise, though.
  • [RotP]Ran Airen[RotP]Ran Airen ✭✭✭✭
    It's not unprecedented for an existing 5* to feature in a first run event:

Bashir, Julian Bashir - "Holograms Are Forever" (pack only; 5* Jazz Musician Odo was the top rank reward)
    Dr. Soong - "Ghost in the Machine" (pack only; 5* Rogue Kai Winn was the top rank reward)
    Frank Hollander - "Dictators, Unite!" (pack only; 5* Interfaced Barclay was the top rank reward)
    Orion Vina - "Liberty for All 2"
    The Traveler - "Endgame"
    Grand Nagus Rom - "The Whole Truth"
    Scientist Degra - "Extinction Point"
    Grilka - "A Good Day to Lie 1: Scales of Power"
    Captain Pike - "Mind and Matter" (a last minute substitution because of rights issues with the planned 5*, Charlie X)

Frank Hollander is also noteworthy as he debuted in the Featured Crew for "A Brute Squad", making him the only 5* in the game to be in the Featured Crew for two different first run events.

That's nine existing 5*'s in the Featured Crew of 86 first run events, which is a far higher percentage than I would have guessed!

Actually Dark Ages McCoy was part of Contingency Plan (run 1 and 2) as well as Plague of Plagues
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.