Home The Bridge

Gender Equality and Timelines

So. Malik is a 4* whilst Persis is only a 3*. Despite her kicking Malik's **tsk tsk** in the Augment Trilogy.

Some of these card choices are odd to say the least.

Comments

• Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Janeway, Dax, Deanna Troi and Burnham tend to pop up more than any other characters for events (since Riker disappeared, with only Data coming to mind as a distant 4th place showrunner), the idea there is a gender bias is clickbait nonsense. The underlying “the stars picked for each crew make no sense”, that is something you could run with, but it has been done to death already. The formula is to add Purples and Yellows, and very rarely blues or greens. Persis was in the game from the start, so she got assigned where she should have been. Malik was being requested by the forum base and got into an event, hence, he is purple.
  • Pallidyne wrote: »
    Anyone else having a Drazi moment? Green leader leads Green, Purple leader leads Purple. lol

I have no idea what a "Drazi moment" is but I knew it wouldn't be long until you showed up to troll something I'd written.
    Um, didn't he kill her?
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    First, Persis is a 2* card.

My bad x2

I guess I'll go back to sleep now.

People were really "requesting Malik for some time" though? Wow. It's a shame that the game developers continue to mix up Forum Base for Player Base. The forum isn't a very welcoming place other than for those in the clique. Probably goes some way to explain why the game is dying.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going by event crew there has been a bias of 52 male characters to 37 female characters and 1 inconclusive.

So yes there may be a gender bias - but this has to be compared to character ratio bias as well before any conclusion could be reached.

But going by rarity - there are plenty of inconsistencies e.g. why does Crusher and Riker (age of sail) get to be gold yet Geordi is a purple

Why does borgway and borgana get gold rating and tuborg gets purple rating?
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, they have all female cadet challenges but not all male cadet challenges
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s the event structure, and cookie cutter release of new characters. Events have X and Y slots to used for new characters. I think the Tuesday packs are a lot more bonkers regarding 5* rarity? Portal 63? Tosk (who i really wanted, but now he’s 5* so it could be ages to get him)? So many bizzaroland additions that would be nice as blue ‘surprise gifts’ in events, that are put into massive paywalls for 4 days and released 6-8 months later into general. The events are what they are, they won’t change, but rarity is goofy however you shake it with the game :)
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    But going by rarity - there are plenty of inconsistencies e.g. why does Crusher and Riker (age of sail) get to be gold yet Geordi is a purple

Calling these inconsistencies implies some requirement or expectation that they be consistent. There is no requirement, and there shouldn't be any expectation. Character rarity and strength has more to do with gameplay and marketing than any statement of a character's relative strength or importance in the Star Trek universe.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, let's try to pick our battles, people. If you nitpick about nonsense, no one takes you seriously when you have a real issue.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Anyone else having a Drazi moment? Green leader leads Green, Purple leader leads Purple. lol

I have no idea what a "Drazi moment" is but I knew it wouldn't be long until you showed up to troll something I'd written.
    Um, didn't he kill her?
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    First, Persis is a 2* card.

My bad x2

I guess I'll go back to sleep now.

People were really "requesting Malik for some time" though? Wow. It's a shame that the game developers continue to mix up Forum Base for Player Base. The forum isn't a very welcoming place other than for those in the clique. Probably goes some way to explain why the game is dying.

1) Guess I'm that predictable. And trying to interject some humour in the obvious gender based troll clickbait may be considered tit for tat if you want to label it a troll.
    2) What methodology would you use to gather the desires of the player base other than the forums and the periodic surveys they send out?
    3) What measuring stick (revenue, number of players in events, arena, ad revenue, etc) do you use in stating that the game is dying?
  • RikerWasNumber1RikerWasNumber1 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    <snip> ˜Shan
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »

Calling these inconsistencies implies some requirement or expectation that they be consistent. There is no requirement, and there shouldn't be any expectation. Character rarity and strength has more to do with gameplay and marketing than any statement of a character's relative strength or importance in the Star Trek universe.

totally agree i should have put that word in speech marks, i was going by the OP's apparent expectations.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Pallidyne wrote: »

1) Guess I'm that predictable. And trying to interject some humour in the obvious gender based troll clickbait may be considered tit for tat if you want to label it a troll.
    2) What methodology would you use to gather the desires of the player base other than the forums and the periodic surveys they send out?
    3) What measuring stick (revenue, number of players in events, arena, ad revenue, etc) do you use in stating that the game is dying?

1) I cannot find the question there so will take it as a statement. I still don't know what a "Dralix" is so I would question your use of the word "Humour". If you have to explain something, it is usually not funny.
    2) The periodic surveys are great - I did not imply that they were at fault (although whether DB actually listen to them or fit their narrative into the result is a different debate). The forums on the other hand are too narrow in opinion, certain people pop up again and again. The "person that shouts loudest" approach is not very reflective of any group.
    3) I don't have any measurements. DB don't release that stuff. I hold my hands up - it is just a gut feeling (not just mine) based on a mixture of factors. I have played since the beginning and have never felt so much apathy from friends in game. Then there was the "restructure". The desperate attempts to make people part with a few coins in the form of offers. Etc etc.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    “Obvious gender bias.”

“Pallidyne is a troll.”

“The hundreds of people on the forum are nothing at all like anyone else playing the game.”

“Who could possibly ever want Malik?”

“The game is dying.”

Are there any more entirely baseless and patently silly accusations or comments you want to toss about? I’m curious...really. Bonus points if you call someone a shill for DB.

The one thing I will give you is that the forums can be toxic. People really care about the stories and characters in this game and are a little too quick to tear someone else down when there is a difference of opinion. But I don’t think there is a clique here...far from it. <snip> Let's not make it personal. ˜Shan
  • edited June 2018
    Did I say anyone was a jerk let alone "everyone''?
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Well, I got it even if it’s to old/obscure for some. ;)
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I need to moderate any additional comments this thread will be closed.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    <snip> ˜Shan
  • Dralix wrote: »
    I still don't know what a "Dralix" is

Hello

Sorry. A "Drazi".
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only there was something like an engine you could search with.
  • Shan wrote: »
    If I need to moderate any additional comments this thread will be closed.

Please feel free to close it.

I was at error with my original points. He killed her and she is a two star. So moot points.

I will go and be a Drazi somewhere else. :)
  • I see this as a non issue, considering DB is only working with the characters Star Trek has to offer. As for character rarity,traits, stats, etc., it's DB's choice, and you can agree or disagree with them.
    Remember this franchise has boldly gone with social issues few have dared to go since its inception as well. Should DB go down that path, it's up to them, though success may vary.

Last, but not the least... It's a game. Have fun playing it.
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭

Considering you can't actually make these requests in game, DB takes feedback from Facebook, Twitter and the Forums. DB also keeps in mind, that it doesn't represent the whole player base. However if you have to decide between ENT Era Augment Malik, and "random Khan henchman we pasted Picard's head on for that one 5*" knowing that some people are actually requesting Malik makes that choice easier.

When you come in and say something completely wrong, and everyone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean they are a clique. It means it is really obvious you are wrong. Combine being wrong with a trolly title, and yeah people have a short fuse for it.

Is the game dying or the highest population it's ever been? I feel like we alternate back and forth every five minutes based on what point someone without any actual numbers is trying to make.

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Obvious gender bias.”

“Pallidyne is a troll.”

“The hundreds of people on the forum are nothing at all like anyone else playing the game.”

“Who could possibly ever want Malik?”

“The game is dying.”

Are there any more entirely baseless and patently silly accusations or comments you want to toss about? I’m curious...really. Bonus points if you call someone a shill for DB.

The one thing I will give you is that the forums can be toxic. People really care about the stories and characters in this game and are a little too quick to tear someone else down when there is a difference of opinion. But I don’t think there is a clique here...far from it. <snip> Let's not make it personal. ˜Shan

I disagree slightly. I feel as if JeanLucKirk, Jesus is Lord, and I have a clique thing going on. They just get me man and I appreciate them. I only hope we are considered the cool lunch table.

• RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    DB's just weird with their cards, I don't think there's any underlying malevolence to it. Why are Bell Riots Dax and Bashir five-star, when Gabriel Bell himself is only a four? Why is Klaa a four star and Kruge a three? Why is Mirror Bashir, perhaps the most unmemorable mirror character, a five, when Smiley's a three, and Sisko, Ezri and Garak are fours? And there are a dozen more examples of bizarre inconsistencies and choices.

There's no rhyme or reason to it. It just...is what it is. (Although if anything, I'd say it has more to do with DB basically abandoning one, two and three star cards than anything else).

• Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, if you think about it, DB is doing pretty well here, especially when you consider that some of the source material dates to the 1960s when gender equality was a laughable concept. Some gender stereotypes broken by trait assignments:
    • Caretaker -- Most commonly applied to Crusher and Sisko. The single dad is a caretaker just as much as the single mom.
    • Nurse -- yes, we have Chapel and Ogawa, but also Tarses and Paris.
    • Athlete -- Seven, Kira, and Torres all feature, along with some male crew. (Maybe at some point we'll get work-out versions of Troi, Crusher, and Yar?)
    • Duelist -- while male heavy, this includes versions of T'Pol, K'Ehleyr, Jadzia, Torres, Janeway, Yar, and Seven.

The only one that bothers me in this regard:
    • Hero -- The only female heroes are Aviator Yar (a non-canon version of Tasha) and Captain Rachel Garrett. Lots of male heroes in the game, including at least one version of each Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Archer. Surely there's a version of Janeway that should be recognized as a hero? Or Burnham? Others?
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
This discussion has been closed.