Home The Bridge
Options

Expeditions - how much grind is too much?

Just curious how many times you all generally replay missions within an existing ticket after getting 3 stars across the board before saying screw it and firing up a new ticket.

Comments

• Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I play each mission twice to get all of its stars and move on. I'm probably going to skip the bottom row going forward too because I think I can hit 400k in phase 1 w/o it.
  • Options
    I play each mission twice to get all of its stars and move on. I'm probably going to skip the bottom row going forward too because I think I can hit 400k in phase 1 w/o it.

Thinking of doing the same. Replaying missions after getting the rare reward just doesn't give enough VP to be worth it.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The Galaxy phase makes this kind of moot. Do you really want to be spending 10-20 minutes grinding away for a tiny amount of expedition experience now, when later on in the event everybody will be dumping all their stockpiled and purchased chrons into the event for a much bigger payoff?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The Galaxy phase makes this kind of moot.

Not if you don't intend to participate in the Galaxy portion. Trying to get the threshold rewards then be done with it.

But you're right. If the galaxy phase wasn't coming up, I would be way more into grinding during this first phase.
  • Options
    [KM]Videm[KM]Videm ✭✭✭
    First ticket - work each mission from normal to epic in order to unlock all levels
    every ticket from then on - start at epic far right and work my way back right to left across each level to collect rare rewords. cancel attempt and repeat till tickets exhusted

If I use all tickets along the way, should be able to exceed 400K on free tickets alone in phase 1. Probably do shuttles out of habit. Minimal participation in galaxy phase to get community rewards. I'm not a fan of burning chrons to rank top 1K and get dumped out in the last 10 minutes.
    We are recruiting for our sister fleet, Mirror Klingon Marauders! Contact me via private message if interested
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who had Bell Riots Bashir fail to crit node but succeed.

DB went back to the old way to crit nodes without telling us.
  • Options
    WaldoMag wrote: »

You need to crit a node to get the rare reward. It is possible to pass a node w/o critting it. In those cases, you would not have gotten a reward under the old or new rules for expeditions.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to crit a node to get the rare reward. It is possible to pass a node w/o critting it. In those cases, you would not have gotten a reward under the old or new rules for expeditions.

They changed expeditions to success being crit.
    If you do not believe just look in forum for complaints when they changed it to automatic crit.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expeditions were easier when I had less crew to scroll through.

Also it would be nice if bonus crew were always at the top.

Also it would be nice if I could flip sorting from low to high to get past the early rounds.

Also WTB one MED node for Bashir.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    They changed expeditions to success being crit.

Incorrect. As was said in your engineering thread, they changed crit to guaranteed drop of the rare reward. You still need to hit high enough to crit.

EDIT: Event notes from when the change was made.

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/63383

Nice catch
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galaxy events ruin everything. ;)

Personally, I'd amend that slightly: Galaxy hybrid events ruin everything. Faction/Galaxy hybrid = the faction phase is made pointless (if you're going for rank). I've finished phase one of a hybrid in the top ten, then dropped below top 1000 after less than 12 hours of the Galaxy phase. Kind of disheartening — but it was the last time I wasted speed boosts on phase one of a hybrid, I'll tell you that. :# I assume it may be much the same in a triple-hybrid: high chron players will annihilate anyone else's VP which was earned in the first two phases.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    [KM]Videm wrote: »
    First ticket - work each mission from normal to epic in order to unlock all levels
    every ticket from then on - start at epic far right and work my way back right to left across each level to collect rare rewords. cancel attempt and repeat till tickets exhusted

If I use all tickets along the way, should be able to exceed 400K on free tickets alone in phase 1. Probably do shuttles out of habit. Minimal participation in galaxy phase to get community rewards. I'm not a fan of burning chrons to rank top 1K and get dumped out in the last 10 minutes.

yep, after 6 tickets (the initial 3 and 3 from thresholds) I'm at 305K points already. After the server reset gonna use 2 more to hit the top threshold... in less than 24 hours of the 6 day event... Well more time to celebrate the mid-summer and stuff I suppose lol
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    Emmett KEmmett K ✭✭✭
    Just sad that the final threshold has a 90% chance of being all honor. Will get that tonight at reset as well.
  • Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    wfg wrote: »
    Just curious how many times you all generally replay missions within an existing ticket after getting 3 stars across the board before saying screw it and firing up a new ticket.

I do all the stars and then reset the ticket. I don’t do extra runs for the little bit of extra VP.

After the first run I work through them backwards. I write down who I use on what node and then just keep that handy with each ticket instead of figuring out who to use each time

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Expeditions were easier when I had less crew to scroll through.

Also it would be nice if bonus crew were always at the top.

Also it would be nice if I could flip sorting from low to high to get past the early rounds.

Also WTB one MED node for Bashir.

What would be easiest is if you could 'heart' certain crew like you can in your crew quarters. So much needless scrolling to find Leeta & Riker!
  • Options
    I complete Epic, complete Elite, then do a single run on Normal except the 2nd mission, since Sarina hits the second bonus score.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Peachtree Rex
    @Dralix
    @Pallidyne

My memory failed me again, though it is not helped by the infrequent expedition event.

You all of course are right. What I was thinking of is when they made the bonus VP rewarded whenever a Crit happened and not just for event specific crew.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    [KM]Videm wrote: »

Thanks for the tip - this is my first real Expedition (didn't know what the heck I was doing back during Christmas, and didn't have the time to figure it all out). Saved me so much time.

I like that it's easy, but holy crap I can't imagine going beyond threshold on an expedition event.
  • Options
    @Peachtree Rex
    @Dralix
    @Pallidyne

My memory failed me again, though it is not helped by the infrequent expedition event.

You all of course are right. What I was thinking of is when they made the bonus VP rewarded whenever a Crit happened and not just for event specific crew.

Cheers. Expeditions have changed a ton over their history and, I think, mostly for the better. It's hard to keep all of their evolutions straight.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the last Expedition, when I was trying very hard to both hit all the thresholds and try for rank, I played every single mission on each difficulty twice to make sure I had all the rare rewards and made sure to use the featured crew as much as possible to maximize those rewards. Now? After unlocking all of the missions on Epic, I only did them on Epic for subsequent tickets.

I might do tomorrow morning’s tickets on Elite as well as Epic but I am confident that I’ll clear all of the thresholds before the Galaxy portion starts.
  • Options
    wfgwfg ✭✭
    I'm seeing such huge swings in my ranking over the course of 12 hours or so... are there really people just sitting around grinding through these missions over and over again for 100 VP a pop after picking up all the rare rewards? I get that with the tickets people can jump in at any time, but you'd think that after everyone has spent their tickets the rankings would stagnate a bit.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm seeing such huge swings in my ranking over the course of 12 hours or so... are there really people just sitting around grinding through these missions over and over again for 100 VP a pop after picking up all the rare rewards? I get that with the tickets people can jump in at any time, but you'd think that after everyone has spent their tickets the rankings would stagnate a bit.

People start their tickets at all times throughout the day. Different time zones, different work schedules, etc. so there are new tickets being started all the time.
  • Options
    wfgwfg ✭✭

People start their tickets at all times throughout the day. Different time zones, different work schedules, etc. so there are new tickets being started all the time.

I totally get that, but everyone has the same number of tickets and each ticket provides the same possible number of VP from rare rewards, right? I'm just amazed by the number of people who have anywhere from 2x to 10x more VP than I do at this stage of the event, since I've gone through all of my daily tickets + the threshold tickets and mostly maxed out the rare reward VP on every run. That's a lot of low-return repeat plays.
  • Options

I totally get that, but everyone has the same number of tickets and each ticket provides the same possible number of VP from rare rewards, right? I'm just amazed by the number of people who have anywhere from 2x to 10x more VP than I do at this stage of the event, since I've gone through all of my daily tickets + the threshold tickets and mostly maxed out the rare reward VP on every run. That's a lot of low-return repeat plays.

An extra ticket only costs 20 dilithium so a lot of people are buying the tickets
  • Options
    wfgwfg ✭✭

An extra ticket only costs 20 dilithium so a lot of people are buying the tickets

Oh, that's the part that I missed. Of course it shouldn't surprise me that DB sells tickets.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Galaxy events ruin everything. ;)

Personally, I'd amend that slightly: Galaxy hybrid events ruin everything. Faction/Galaxy hybrid = the faction phase is made pointless (if you're going for rank). I've finished phase one of a hybrid in the top ten, then dropped below top 1000 after less than 12 hours of the Galaxy phase. Kind of disheartening — but it was the last time I wasted speed boosts on phase one of a hybrid, I'll tell you that. :# I assume it may be much the same in a triple-hybrid: high chron players will annihilate anyone else's VP which was earned in the first two phases.

Faction/galaxy hybrids are manageable for me. The reduced duration of the Galaxy portion at least gives me a chance to finish top 1000. Now that I'm done leveling crew (more or less) maybe I'll try a pure galaxy event in the future.
  • Options
    The worst thing, and the reason I dislike expeditions you get nothing but qa few credit and victory points. If they offered item drops as well, I would like them better.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm very happy to be playing expeditions again, i don't usually do every node , just what i have time for at the moment. I've cleared thresholds now. I'll play shuttles and galaxy some, but i won't waste resources on them. that o'brien is too weak and boring to warrant another 1/5* (i worked my @$$ off to get 2 8472's tho, that was a cool character!)