Home The Bridge

World cup event

S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
DB could we please have a World Cup after the next event?

Proposed crew - Soccer Worf, Golanga and Soccer Sam Lavelle

Comments

• robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind seeing a World Cup tie in. But I assume we'd end up with a Niners Janeway and Hockey Burnham.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    btw Soccer Worf should be in a Russian shirt :smile:
  • The Keeper for keeping, I guess? That's him at his best 😁
    Also, Federation vs Klingon Empire theme. I can imagine Kirk leading his team on a game... Then go all out Command Wrap on them.

(yes, I'm European, and I assume no other name for that sport in England born and bred 🍻)
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more characters in fake playing card boxes, please!
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more characters in fake playing card boxes, please!

It doesn't have to be ina fake playing card boxes, just Worf standing proudly in Russian or Federation or Klingon national shirt with a hand on his chest ;)
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great! I love soccer.

I hope there are lots of home runs, three pointers, and field goals As for all you haters out there, don't be a sticky wicket or you'll go to the penalty box.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soccer would be way more exciting if they shortened the field and had less players
  • Banjo, there is a five vs five version called futsal. Not as big as the best known version, but still a thing
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Soccer would be way more exciting if they shortened the field and had less players

It's called hockey. 😀
  • The themed ship could be the United Soccer Ship Enterprise. Playing on behalf of the Unions of Football Players.
    Banjo, there is a five vs five version called futsal. Not as big as the best known version, but still a thing

Is it generally higher scoring?
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Is it generally higher scoring?

Shorter than a normal game and far more intense as well. Check out Wikipedia if you like, it keeps a good track on scores and competitions. Look out for its cousin, beach football, as well.

I've derailed too much from the topic...
    I'd like to see Saru playing football. Just for giggles
  • I can imagine there being a big scandal when it turns out the Jem’Hadar National Team have been fielding extra cloaked players during their matches.

Or the Ferengi getting kicked out of the competition for trying to bribe their way to the final.
    I can imagine there being a big scandal when it turns out the Jem’Hadar National Team have been fielding extra cloaked players during their matches.

Or the Ferengi getting kicked out of the competition for trying to bribe their way to the final.

Jem Hadar are also on illegal substances

• Doping scandal with the Jem Hadar; genetic enhancement scandal with the Augments; technological enhancement scandal with the Borg; Changelings shape shifting between balls in attack and walls in goal...

It's almost as ridiculous as the actual scandals in FIFA in the past few years...
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I don't care who wins, I'm going to riot. I'll flip over a shuttle craft and set it on fire.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, so many great ideas here. DB are you listening?
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have to be named something else, probably something completely unrecognizable — "World Cup" is trademarked, just like "Olympics" and "Super Bowl" (heck, regarding the latter, you can't even use "the big game" in any commercial enterprise without threat of a lawsuit).

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Or the Ferengi getting kicked out of the competition for trying to bribe their way to the final.

Hey! FIFA officials do NOT get bribed to determine the winners. Only to determine where the World Cup is played. So expect this Galaxy Cup(?) to be held on a class Y planet, or the Xindi home world, post destruction. Only slightly crazier than Qatar.
    Sisko: What are you gonna learn in the next few months that you haven't already learned in the last 300 years?
    Ezri Dax: Oh, how to keep from breaking into tears for no reason...
  • So expect this Galaxy Cup(?) to be held on a class Y planet, or the Xindi home world, post destruction. Only slightly crazier than Qatar.

So... Only Tholians could participate?
  • Hey! FIFA officials do NOT get bribed to determine the winners.

Try telling that to the Italian and Spanish teams after the 2002 World Cup. Or to Chelsea after their exit from the Champions League semi-final in 2009 against FC Barcelona.

There was definitely something dodgy going on with the South Korean/Barcelona teams and the match officials in those games.

• As long as they treat all world cups equally then fine, but I'd be slightly annoyed if they did a special for soccer and not The rugby one next year.
    Cymru am byth
  • edited June 2018
    Klingons would try to intimidate the competition. the andorians would suspect EVERYBODY of cheating. the telarites would argue with the referees all day long. vulcans would use their logic to try and outsmart the competition. risian females would be cheerleaders. when ferengi werent trying to bribe some other opossing teammate or referee, theyd be selling some low quality sports equipment. The xinidi would probably have 4 teams, or one very divided team. Changellings would turn themselves into a rock and listen in to their opposing teams huddle, while the Jem'hadar are busted for drug use and the vortas would try and use diplomacy to stop the Jem'hadar from being removed from the game. Cardassians would plant undercover operatives into each and every team to spy. Romulans would probably abduct a team member from each team to use a mental probe for information. Denobulans would be providing the medical services. Hirogen would treat the game like it was a hunt. Bajorans would pray to the prophets for a swift victory. Augments would be banned from the competition as they are genetically enhanced. And then you've got humans..."wow...we made up this sport, and now the whole galaxy is enjoying it...this is great, we outta found the fgfa (Fédération Galactic de Football Association).
  • Doping scandal with the Jem Hadar; genetic enhancement scandal with the Augments; technological enhancement scandal with the Borg; Changelings shape shifting between balls in attack and walls in goal...

It's almost as ridiculous as the actual scandals in FIFA in the past few years...
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I can imagine there being a big scandal when it turns out the Jem’Hadar National Team have been fielding extra cloaked players during their matches.

Jem Hadar are also on illegal substances

Hope you two dont mind that i used these ideas for my little blurp above?
  • Hope you two dont mind that i used these ideas for my little blurp above?

Not at all..

Don't forget that England, as always, will be knocked out on penalties by the Germans ;)

• Hope you two dont mind that i used these ideas for my little blurp above?

Not at all..

Don't forget that England, as always, will be knocked out on penalties by the Germans ;)

I personally dont know...i dont keep up with soccer :grin: ill defer to your judgement though :smile:
  • Or the Ferengi getting kicked out of the competition for trying to bribe their way to the final.

Have a read up on FIFA, it could be argued the Ferengi have been running the competition for some time ;)
  • Some sports packs celebrating things like the World Cup, other than the existing Niners one, would be good in lieu of an event.

Someone mentioned rugby. I don't like cricket, but still, would make for some good cards.

Would even invite the idea of an Athlete collection.

A Heroes vs Villain match would be good... 31 cards (one ref, one linesmen able to be in two places at once, 11 players and 3 subs)

Referee Q
    Organian Linesman

And a stellar cast of Trek heroes and villains from across the series'

• S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Event: Galaxy Football/Soccer Cup

Story: There are rumors about Quark's influence on the Football Federation regarding the upcoming Galactic Football/Soccer Cup. Because of that Odo was appointed as one of the referees. On the other hand, Worf was invited by Chancellor Martok to be an Empire's Coach and make a Cup selection amongst Klingons.

Event crew: Gambler Quark
    National Coach Worf
    Referee Odo