Home The Bridge

It's Hot Out There

Comments

• Captain LostCaptain Lost ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna keep out of the heat by staying home and enjoying some Star Trek!

YWla1VK.png

img
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only 104 degrees where I am in Arizona. Tomorrow the high will be 113 and the low will be 90.

Love the picture.
  • edited July 2018

YWla1VK.png

img

2 awesome episodes! Enjoy

Hoping we get Captain Tracey in game eventually.
  • SpockySpocky ✭✭

YWla1VK.png

img

Really? They were pretty bad, The Savage Curtain was alright, but the blatant US propaganda episode was awful, up there with The Way to Eden, and Spock’s Brain for me.

• Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    Spocky wrote: »

YWla1VK.png

img

Really? They were pretty bad, The Savage Curtain was alright, but the blatant US propaganda episode was awful, up there with The Way to Eden, and Spock’s Brain for me.

All Star Trek is awesome. There is no bad Star Trek.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

YWla1VK.png

img

Seriously? Wow. Gotta admire the loyalty.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

YWla1VK.png

img

Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis... I'll see myself out
    Yateball wrote: »

YWla1VK.png

img

Nemesis I'll give, you but Insurrection doesn't feel like bad Trek, just Meh Trek.

• YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

YWla1VK.png

img

Nemesis I'll give, you but Insurrection doesn't feel like bad Trek, just Meh Trek.

Nemesis was worst for sure, but I really thought Insurrection was a waste of time too... I guess you're right that it's at least watchable... Every time I see Nemesis and they don't mention the possibility of b-4 being Lore I die a little inside
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭

Nemesis I'll give

Compared to Star Trek V it was a "masterpiece"...

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

YWla1VK.png

img

Nemesis was awful, but Insurrection feels like an episode of TNG. That may not be a great movie, but as a TNG fan I enjoyed watching a new TNG episode.
  • Pretty much all odd numbered movies?
  • Pallidyne wrote: »

YWla1VK.png

img

Think the main point here in discussing if an episode was “good” or “bad” is subject to each individual’s preference and bias. I liked The Omega Glory and Savage Curtain. I admit they aren’t my favorite 2 episodes and I’m a TOS homer, but just because I liked them doesn’t mean everyone else did, and vice versa for other episodes/series within the franchise. With a franchise this large there is a wide range - what person A calls bad person B might call ok and person C might call good. Matter of opinion.

Nemesis I'll give

Compared to Star Trek V it was a "masterpiece"...

The thing about Star Trek V, is that it had this one scene that to this day resonates with me. It's the confrontation of Sybok with Kirk, Spock and McCoy. I really felt those three delivered and made an otherwise not that fun movie have a good experience.

McCoy and his father --- and then finding out the disease was cured. The agony that Kelley put on his face--- Kirks "I need my pain" speech. I honestly was moved by that scene. I'll plug the movie in and skip to there and just watch this scene.

Nemesis has no such scene to me. It's the worst of the Wrath of Khan redos, and the only thing I found even briefly compelling was the view of Remus and Romulus together.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The thing about Star Trek V, is that it had this one scene that to this day resonates with me.

The bond between Kirk, Spock and McCoy was indeed well displayed in that movie. But that apart: The worst special effects of all Star Trek movies, shameful attempts at humour who turned everyone into a caricature of themselves (like Scotty banging his head moments after saying he knows this ship like the back of his hand etc. etc. etc.) and of course Shatner trying to put himself on the forefront of everyhing made it cringeworthy to me. Since it had a special moment for you, you rate it differently. But for me no other Star Trek movie smells as bad.

YWla1VK.png

img

Think the main point here in discussing if an episode was “good” or “bad” is subject to each individual’s preference and bias. I liked The Omega Glory and Savage Curtain. I admit they aren’t my favorite 2 episodes and I’m a TOS homer, but just because I liked them doesn’t mean everyone else did, and vice versa for other episodes/series within the franchise. With a franchise this large there is a wide range - what person A calls bad person B might call ok and person C might call good. Matter of opinion.

To assume that everything produced in a franchise is awesome, is frankly hardcore loyalty or a very low bar, no matter how good the franchise is.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

YWla1VK.png

img

To assume that everything produced in a franchise is awesome, is frankly hardcore loyalty or a very low bar, no matter how good the franchise is.

Agreed, even Community (the greatest, most underappreciated comedy show ever) had a couple stinkers
  • Spocky wrote: »

YWla1VK.png

img

Even bad Star Trek is better than most of the rubbish they call sci-fi (with the caveat that the Abrams movies are NOT Star Trek, but Star Wars wearing a bad disguise)
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll be 114 today. Going to stay in and tappy tap
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may lose my Hall pass for this..
    But I actually even like insurrection and don't hate Nemesis..

Both suffered from done bad cuts..
    Nemesis clearly more so.
    They had like what.. 90 minutes of movie cut out of not more.. it doesn't help that the writer watched the franchise in the span of a couple weeks.. but seeing that aside and they it was intended to be part 1 of at least 2..

I try to give some slack and just enjoy watching old friends interacting.

Yeh it could have been better..
    And yeah it could have been more original..
    (We all knew what would happen as soon as they interconnected and transferred memory)

But.. it was still ok in my books.
    I still feel the worst part of the whole thing was that they (paramount) was so stupid as to pit it against a Lord of the rings movie and promoted it as "the last adventure of a generation" when they (the cast) didn't know and hadn't even opened on one screen yet.

Lol, what the hell would they have done if somehow it had popped 250 Mil?

Lol narrator fit sequel "opps, didn't mean the hero's last adventure we meant the bat guys.. yay captain baldy ! In theaters now"

They promoted it with the message "we're done, so you should be too.. don't expect much"
  • Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

YWla1VK.png

img

Look, I'll admit. We all have our favorites and unfavorites. But we're all here because we are Star Trek fans (maybe that's an assumption too far, but let's go with it for now). Was Enterprise my favorite series? No. But it's still Trek, and adds to all things Trek.

Like Captain Tatem said above, everyone has their opinions. Some where (Enterprise was Best, I'm calling you out) someone liked the 4 dragging seasons of Enterprise. It had it's moments for me, but I'm not about to call it bad Star Trek. I'm sure there are folks who have only seen and enjoyed the Kelvin Timeline movies. They are no less Star Trek fans than the rest of us who have watched every episode of every series. And the Kelvin Timeline is no less Trek than TOS. TOS had some pretty absurd plotlines. But most Trek does, we kind of like it because of that in many instances. I mean Trouble with Tribbles for Q's sake. Completely ridiculous concept, yet one of the most fan favorite episodes.

I stand by my statement. There is no bad Star Trek.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

YWla1VK.png

img

Look, I'll admit. We all have our favorites and unfavorites. But we're all here because we are Star Trek fans (maybe that's an assumption too far, but let's go with it for now). Was Enterprise my favorite series? No. But it's still Trek, and adds to all things Trek.

Like Captain Tatem said above, everyone has their opinions. Some where (Enterprise was Best, I'm calling you out) someone liked the 4 dragging seasons of Enterprise. It had it's moments for me, but I'm not about to call it bad Star Trek. I'm sure there are folks who have only seen and enjoyed the Kelvin Timeline movies. They are no less Star Trek fans than the rest of us who have watched every episode of every series. And the Kelvin Timeline is no less Trek than TOS. TOS had some pretty absurd plotlines. But most Trek does, we kind of like it because of that in many instances. I mean Trouble with Tribbles for Q's sake. Completely ridiculous concept, yet one of the most fan favorite episodes.

I stand by my statement. There is no bad Star Trek.

I think the first part of your statement was "All Trek is awesome". That's even more strong than there is no 'bad' trek. I read that as that's everything and every moment is so awesome must have more and watch every single one again.....Its bordering on fanboy at that point.
    Pretty sure that's Phoenix. 113 today. Worse is coming.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh I live in Phoenix. Still have to run my 7 miles when I get home. If an expedition doesn't kill me, then a little heat cant either lol
    Meh I live in Phoenix. Still have to run my 7 miles when I get home. If an expedition doesn't kill me, then a little heat cant either lol

Yes, well, I work here now and it is hot. I love the area; you couldn't pay me enough to return to the [insert favorite colorful metaphor] that is Seattle. But it is hot.

Have fun running 7 miles. I'll have a Slurpee and think of you running.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yqt15adbjsxt.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • This is gonna get moved to the holodeck section me thinks.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    ry6k7ijy0hkb.gif
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rukr7m7fqux2.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"