Home The Bridge

I always feel that events and mega events neglect MED and ENG crew... by that I mean utilizing them

S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in The Bridge
We always seem to have events, particularly mega events aimed at a species and factions, what if one was aimed at a skill? Where crew of that skill were guaranteed to be used

I always feel that events and mega events neglect MED and ENG crew... by that I mean utilizing them 59 votes

A skill based mega event is a good idea (eg MED crew)
25%
Captain_WhoeXo | SilverRose (retired)FutureImperfectaPhotonKimMirrorMartiganguest_757423444811776Siegfried Shy Khan[10F] Belle'Anna S14 Bri guest_935349890207745NSEA Protector 1999_JR_Daniel3434 Coelji84 (Retired) 15 votes
Stick with the Species/faction based mega events
22%
RocpileCaptain LostPallidynet<G>e  RoonisRNGeverythingBeratis Kesla RedjacSybok MKIIDavey1983TheJaneWay•§ë• Captain Tatem<TGE> CliffordFlemmingHamsters2 13 votes
Skill based would be a good idea, but maybe for occasional events, NOT mega events
44%
[KM]Videm{SST} Captain Magenta BorealisJim Raynor[CAB595] Emrys MyrddinAgge~peregrine~[S47] ELiL[QH] Captain ZiggySST - 9of7Capt. Pete Owencaptain_yarrobownageYateballMirror CartmanDavideBooks[DC] Picard Loves RedskapuTP:ToPetter ~SE~PrimusDirk GundersonSpocky 26 votes
Other
8%
Peachtree RexOdo Marmarosa[DB:LOL] eXo | KurrostanzaCaptain RomarCmdr Sinclair 5 votes

Comments

• S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I’d personally like to see a single MED event one week... perhaps the best direction for a one-off mega event would be to have
    Wk1 MED crew
    Wk2 DIP crew
    Wk3 SEC crew
    Wk4 ENG crew

Or just an occasional regular event that focuses on one of the lesser utilized skills.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror Troi, Mirror Crusher and Darth Bashir are all strong MED that were added during events but I’m not sure about events centered around specific skills. They’ve already shown they don’t match event crew skills to the skills needed for the event, so that would just be opening Pandora’s Box
  • Other
    Funny, I was thinking that there's been too much MED lately, we need more ENG.
    Mirror Troi, Mirror Crusher and Darth Bashir are all strong MED that were added during events but I’m not sure about events centered around specific skills. They’ve already shown they don’t match event crew skills to the skills needed for the event, so that would just be opening Pandora’s Box

As was Prisoner Katrina Cornwell. Thanks to the last few mega-events, MED/DIP is one of my best voyage traits now.
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Yeah, previously they haven’t matched and that’s been the case. Cornwell was another strong MED...

But what if that particular event focused exclusively on that single skill, and the event crew etc were all primary in that skill...all missions would require someone of that skill every time. It might shake things up a bit to throw it out there once in a while. It’d give people a chance to dust off their doctors and set them to work!
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

Don't forget Cornwell.

Of the mega event 5*s:

Borg Queen: CMD > DIP > ENG
    T'Kuvma: CMD > SEC
    Kortar: SEC > CMD > DIP
    Mirror Picard: CMD > SEC > SCI
    Cornwell: MED > DIP > SEC
    Bell Riots Bashir: MED > DIP > SEC
    Surak: SCI > DIP > CMD

If anything, you should lament the missing ENG. It has only appeared on one mega event 5* and it was a tertiary stat.

Personally, I strongly dislike the idea of a "skill based" mega event. Seems like a bad direction for the already weak story telling. This is more of a "theme pack"-level idea (which they've done plenty of times).
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭

Don't forget Cornwell.

Of the mega event 5*s:

Borg Queen: CMD > DIP > ENG
    T'Kuvma: CMD > SEC
    Kortar: SEC > CMD > DIP
    Mirror Picard: CMD > SEC > SCI
    Cornwell: MED > DIP > SEC
    Bell Riots Bashir: MED > DIP > SEC
    Surak: SCI > DIP > CMD

If anything, you should lament the missing ENG. It has only appeared on one mega event 5* and it was a tertiary stat.

Personally, I strongly dislike the idea of a "skill based" mega event. Seems like a bad direction for the already weak story telling. This is more of a "theme pack"-level idea (which they've done plenty of times).

Agreed... ENG is equally neglected.

I’m not talking exclusively mega events. It could just be an occasional event.

Eg, one week there is a faction event based on a skill... so the shuttles would need to have a MED crew on board each mission, or ENG, or whatever skill is chosen... it’d give people a chance to weigh up their depth of crew in that area and a slight change from the usual situation where event / bonus crew doesn’t correlate to the actual shuttles
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I feel we’ve had plenty of MED - Sarina Douglas also has med support they did a recurring character as well Arik Soong then there is anij, mutated Paris, garland, Mintaken Troi, Victorian Pulaski, Grayson I’m sure there is more to add. Strong ENG as primary I think is the most lacking of recent all of which have been useful in the events and afterwards bar Paris Anij and Grayson.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You guys are focusing too much on the MED!!!!!

It could be any skill. I’d prefer MED as my MED crew rock... 2-4times a year there could be a skill event... the skill in question isn’t important. It could be any skill...
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with the Species/faction based mega events
    Honestly, I just like mixes especially in Megas.
    Of course if we had a Eng or Med themed event, we'd be lucky if over half were that skill primary.

• Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    [S14] Bri wrote: »

It could be any skill. I’d prefer MED as my MED crew rock... 2-4times a year there could be a skill event... the skill in question isn’t important. It could be any skill...

Uhhhh....

72zrg5z1i6hr.png
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Uhhhh....

72zrg5z1i6hr.png

Edited... I don’t mean granting MED crew, quite the opposite... I mean utilizing them on shuttles etc ... and the poll option said eg MED, as in for example...
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhhhh....

72zrg5z1i6hr.png

Edited... I don’t mean granting MED crew, quite the opposite... I mean utilizing them on shuttles etc ... and the poll option said eg MED, as in for example...

Cornwell has excellent med and dip base for shuttles and on med builds for galaxy she’s used nearly every event for me and Darth Bashir a close second
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Uhhhh....

72zrg5z1i6hr.png

Cornwell has excellent med and dip base for shuttles and on med builds for galaxy she’s used nearly every event for me and Darth Bashir a close second

For sure, but during a faction event, it’s not often you get MED/ENG centric shuttles... and yet most players have a load of MED/ ENG crew lying around gathering dust
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill based would be a good idea, but maybe for occasional events, NOT mega events

Uhhhh....

72zrg5z1i6hr.png

For sure, but during a faction event, it’s not often you get MED/ENG centric shuttles... and yet most players have a load of MED/ ENG crew lying around gathering dust

Not to mention all those unused boosters.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭

Uhhhh....

72zrg5z1i6hr.png

Not to mention all those unused boosters.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Too true haha. It will take more than a few events to get rid of those! Always seem to be low in DIP and SEC, though.
  • A skill based mega event is a good idea (eg MED crew)
    I'm really hoping the next mega recurring is an engineering monster. It's the one skill the freebies have yet to even cover -- unless you count BQ's tertiary skill, which I don't.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could do an entire month of engineering and I wouldn't have an objection
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meant to vote for "occasional events," not mega, but regardless, I think a galactic medical conference type event would be great to feature Med crew.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    I've been playing for well over a year and my stockpile of 3* shuttle boosts tell me this much:

avzfgnt0n4h1.png

235 MED
    177 SCI
    149 CMD
    115 ENG
    88 SEC
    82 DIP

I think a skill focused faction event would be a good thing, but not necessarily a mega event.
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If the shuttles are utilising MED, then the event crew needs to be strong in MED. So the event crew would need to be e.g. Bashir, Bones and the EMH,
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really hoping the next mega recurring is an engineering monster. It's the one skill the freebies have yet to even cover -- unless you count BQ's tertiary skill, which I don't.

Yes, but I hope some though goes into the other two skills as well. My best engineers seem to be Eng/Sci/Sec. Sarina was excellent, Sci, Eng, Med.

Maybe it could be Eng/Com/Med so I can plonk it in a non-Eng/Sci/Sec slot on voyages if needed.
  • Skill based would be a good idea, but maybe for occasional events, NOT mega events
    A single Faction/Galaxy event that was skill focused makes sense - the story could be about helping refugees from a plague for example in which case each shuttle mission would require a Med crew.
    Equally a Galaxy phase where a new home needed to be built / terraformed for survivors would necessitate a large Engineering contingent.

Single events or even hybrids would work well but I don't see it working over an entire MEGA
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sense danger with this idea. DB would likely make the skill selection randomly, especially if they think they might implement this idea repeatedly. So how would you feel about the first of these skill-themed events being... DIP :s and the next one being... CMD :s:s

I give you points for thinking outside the box. But I think the easiest solution would just be to alter the skill distribution in a few shuttles, thus forcing more use of skill X.
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    I've been playing for well over a year and my stockpile of 3* shuttle boosts tell me this much:

avzfgnt0n4h1.png

235 MED
    177 SCI
    149 CMD
    115 ENG
    88 SEC
    82 DIP

I think a skill focused faction event would be a good thing, but not necessarily a mega event.

I feel your pain!!nhlwxhkmao52.jpeg
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    A single Faction/Galaxy event that was skill focused makes sense - the story could be about helping refugees from a plague for example in which case each shuttle mission would require a Med crew.
    Equally a Galaxy phase where a new home needed to be built / terraformed for survivors would necessitate a large Engineering contingent.

Single events or even hybrids would work well but I don't see it working over an entire MEGA

Sounds great. There could be many stories/ story arcs for each skill that could look at a whole host of issues involving each skill area. Nice input!
  • Skill based would be a good idea, but maybe for occasional events, NOT mega events
    We need a Mega event with a reoccurring ENG primary crew. That said, an occasional stand-alone event that covers a stat would help a lot.

DB has been MED heavy lately, especially MED/DIP. We asked, and we received a flood. I think it is time to back off just a bit on MED crew and focus on ENG and SCI for a bit.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    For using in a faction event, MED and SCi would great from a boost perspective. Character wise, I need mostly ENG and SCI help.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engineering is the weakest skill right now, though I don't want DB to ease off the Meds til we have a better balance. There's no primary sec with a secondary Med skill, and one which is tertiary, as I remember. Makes it hard to fill that spot on a voyage.

I've been waiting for a decent engineer for months now, sure we have The Caretaker for free but try getting him to drop on a regular basis.. I was so disappointed with O'Brien this last mega. He should have sent the players wild but was sooooo meh.

I'd be happy to have megas based around skills. I think it would make an interesting change.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    Engineering is the weakest skill right now, though I don't want DB to ease off the Meds til we have a better balance. There's no primary sec with a secondary Med skill, and one which is tertiary, as I remember. Makes it hard to fill that spot on a voyage.

I've been waiting for a decent engineer for months now, sure we have The Caretaker for free but try getting him to drop on a regular basis.. I was so disappointed with O'Brien this last mega. He should have sent the players wild but was sooooo meh.

I'd be happy to have megas based around skills. I think it would make an interesting change.

Thanks for the constructive comment. I hope some one is watching who can consider this, @Shan

The reason I made this poll was to see if other people wanted something to break the monotony a little. Aside from the usual scornful peeps, it seems the idea has been warmly received.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read the for example as a clarifying point, not suggesting MED, FWIW.

I like the idea. Wouldn't even be too hard. It seems like the old Videan Plague event would have been a perfect opportunity for a med skill event. We could have an engineering and science mega where we're building a giant ship to combat some giant Borg or Species 8472 vessel rampaging the galaxy.

Opportunities abound. Give us a good engineer and let him shine in an event using that skill.

After that, my CMD could use a bit of a bump. Rather boring skill any more, but God knows my MED, DIP, and SEC are well represented now.