Home Ready Room
Options

Airlocking Time!

Comments

• Options
    Also, Undercover O'Brien is a pain to FE. He has Talos IV Spock Syndrome. But he is good in the arena.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    And now Age of Sail LaForge is asking permission to come aboard. Voyages seems to be delivering a lot of 1/4 command crew these days. (A touch frustrating with 17 3/4 crew in quarters.)
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The thing I don't understand here is ... how do you get so many new 4*s coming in?

You say you only get them in through Voyages ... I make 8 hrs on an average Voyage these days and 4*s trickle in at a frustratingly slow pace (maybe 1 or 2 a week). I have plenty that could use an extra star for immortalisation (and therefore freeze) purposes.

While not VIP0 anymore ... end 2016 I had 2 monthly cards (all dil has gone into shuttles and crew slots during sales), since then have not put a penny into the game ... I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment regarding freezing immortalised 4*s ... ever since I decided not to spend anything on this game anymore (early 2017) I try to freeze away if I need space ... I can take anyone onto my crew and my mindset is "never airlock" ... this means that slowly but surely through Voyages and the odd community pull I've been able to immortalise quite a number of crew (not at the speed you have 'em coming in though!)

You know what the benefit of my line of thinking is?
    Because I'm not airlocking anyone that is not a duplicate (and haven't since the Borg mega-event that gave us the Borg Queen) ... it means that I'm actually usually adding stars to crew I've got FE! I don't need to think about airlocking anyone precisely because I haven't airlocked anyone ... so, the 4*s that come in are either duplicates (as was the case for the last 3 I got on a Voyage) or additional stars for crew I have FE.
    My crew consists of almost all of non-FF crew (5*s and 4*s) and a couple of immortalised 5*s, 3*s and 2*s, to go with the event crew for the weekend.

Anyway, send some of those Voyage 4*s my way, I could use one copy each (Undercover O'Brien, Cowboy Archer, Kurn, Mirror Ezri - Dolim I do not have (but want!) and Princess Jadzia I have immortal) of the last few you've obtained, all to immortalise those crew! :)

EDIT: I just finished writing this and did the 6 hr dilemma ... Maquis Eddington ... sweet, my second copy for him (needless to say, have him FE).
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Rara, if I followed your oft-repeated advice to freeze all of my immortalized Super-rares, I would have freed up 4 extra spaces, which would now have been filled with a bunch of 1/4s and I'd be in the exact same position of needing to airlock someone for additional incoming super-rare crew.

I also wouldn't be making my 6-hour voyage mark as regularly, nor would I be nearly as competitive in events. For example, had I followed your advice earlier this year when you first gave it, I wouldn't have had Rakal Troi, Ambassador Sarek or Ambassador Spock for the Romulan-Vulcan Mega-event.

I happen to agree with the general philosophy of not airlocking, but reality intercedes. Your advice is predicated on your having significantly more crew slots than I do. You keep mentioning that you're F2P NOW, but since you've already expanded the size of your crew quarters "net" to be able to catch and fuse new super-rares while you were a monthly card holder, it's not a true equivalency to being VIP0.
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    The thing I don't understand here is ... how do you get so many new 4*s coming in?

EDIT: I just finished writing this and did the 6 hr dilemma ... Maquis Eddington ... sweet, my second copy for him (needless to say, have him FE).
    I take it you were answering your own question with this edit?

P.S. Perhaps there's a misunderstanding here - are you under the impression that I haven't been freezing super-rares in general? Glancing at my screenshots, in the past month or two I've managed to immortalize and freeze about a dozen super-rares. If I get crew that surpasses my existing core super-rares, I certainly replace them in the starting line-up (e.g. Legendary Surok took over voyage duties from Ambassador Sarek after the Vulcan/Romulan mega, who subsequently went to sleep).

I have an additional 17 super-rares who are at 3/4, and maybe a dozen of those are available from the rewards pool, so I'm just waiting for the RNG gods to send their blessings.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    al103 wrote: »
    PS. I would say airlock Arex or Seska over Tobi from one-offs, Russel may be good enough for voyages at 4/4, Arex or Seska not so much. From event crew 2skillers Ezri, Kira (Anastasia), McCoy and Wesley should be around same level of airlockableness (after Arex and Seska, but maybe before Tobi... maybe after).

Yeah, I know intellectually that this makes sense, but I've been dragging my heels on Arex simply because I like my animated series characters. :) But, perhaps Seska...

As for Dr. Russell... she's just such an **tsk tsk** in her episode. But valuable Med skillz - hmm.

I have airlock remorse for Anastasia because she keeps turning up for me - this would be the third time I've spaced her. :/ But yeah, she's definitely in the queue.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    And now Age of Sail LaForge is asking permission to come aboard. Voyages seems to be delivering a lot of 1/4 command crew these days. (A touch frustrating with 17 3/4 crew in quarters.)
    He's 100 99% keep. One of more useful 4*. Mostly because of high Eng, but because of that he aged well. And event character too.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    al103 wrote: »
    He's 100 99% keep. One of more useful 4*. Mostly because of high Eng, but because of that he aged well. And event character too.

Yup, I've definitely been waiting a long while for him to show up, and glad he hasn't been power-creeped into obsolescence in the interim. For now he's just sitting in overdraft behind my new 3/4 Breen Dukat for now until I either figure out which two 1/4s I want to space, or I get a miracle Voyage drop that lets me freeze someone.

These 3/4 event drops.... :(
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for Dr. Russell... she's just such an **Chech'tluth** in her episode. But valuable Med skillz - hmm.
    See, this is one of those instances where the censorship makes it look like I wrote something WAY worse than I actually did!

• Options
    Is airlocking when you remove a crew from your list?
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. It took me a while to figure out the jargon when I first came here. Calling it airlocking a crew is amusing and provides a nice visual. For some crew, the idea of airlocking them just makes the world seem right once more.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes, it’s when you dismiss (delete) a crew member from your active crew quarters or overflow who isn’t immortalized (fully fused and fully equipped.)

Immortalized crew will go into the cryostasis vault when dismissed, or “frozen.”
  • Options
    Wouldn't it defeat it the purpose of obtaining the crew in the first place, or is this just a way to save overflowing crew slots?
  • Options
    You can revive them from cryostasis.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it does defeat the purpose of obtaining crew to airlock them, but sometimes when you have a 1/4 who used to be good crew when you were heavily using 2/3 and 3/3 crew, but now your crew has developed to a point where that 1/4 is never used anymore (and it's not in a collection or main tv show crew likely to be event crew) , you are better off getting rid of that 1/4 in favor of someone much better. Especially if the better crew has 2/4+.

This becomes increasingly noticeable when you start surpassing 6 hour voyages and get purple crew randomly drop, as well as start reaching most event thresholds, you are going to start getting more crew than you can fit in your roster (unless you just stop sending out voyages or participating in events, which slows game progress). More and more, you have to prioritize which crew are more effective (or your favorites). Especially if you pay money to buy crew packs.
  • Options
    SST - 9of7SST - 9of7 ✭✭✭
    EddNog wrote: »
    SST - 9of7 wrote: »
    Before you start airlocking check whether to have your blues and greens down to 7. Depending on the items you need and depending on if you are playing commander division you can even cut back to 6.
    Even 5 or possibly 4, if you don't mind being a bit more limited on missions and depend on voyage drops only to fill your rooster to 3 persons to start a mission.

I had cut back to 6 (4 greens and 2 blues) for a quite a while without trouble.

Which 6 (4 greens/2 blues)?

-Ed

I used Festive Dax, Sito, Naomi and Worf and Saavik and B'Etor. (+ any rare I got from voyages I could use to start Saturday and Sunday missions)

Now I switched to Lwaxana, Sniper Ezri and Gilora Rejal, as they can complete all Saturday and Sunday missions with my individual and database bonuses.
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The time has come to send some more of my 1/4 Super Rare crew to live on that farm in upstate Ceti Alpha VI. They're all mostly unleveled and 1-star. Suggestions?

Command Hologram
    Changeling Bashir
    Tommy Gun Dixon
    Assimilated Tuvok
    Kazon Seska
    Ba'ku Worf
    First Goran'Agar
    Dr. Toby Russell
    Maquis Eddington
    Captain Kurn
    Doc Crusher
    Trader Odo
    Nexus Kirk
    Commander Dolim
    Anastasia Komanov
    Lieutenant Arex Na Eth
    Drafted McCoy
    Cadet Wesley Crusher
    Silik

New:
    Northstar Archer
    Princess Jadzia
    Undercover O'Brien
    Mirror Ezri Teegan
    Age of Sail LaForge

I need to eliminate 3 2 1 2 more. Right now I'm leaning towards Dolim, Eddington and Komanov, who are all two-skill. Also perhaps Russell.

Additional thoughts?

Kazon Seska was important to my success early on, she was my first purple; however, as I've gained more ENGs, she became less important, and eventually I hardly ever used her for anything. So I got her immortalized and frozen. If you can't do that quickly, and you don't need her stars, u could send her to the void.
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Well, poor Anastasia, and Mirror Ezri and her stylish bolero jacket are now strolling the vacuum catwalk. Mirror Sisko who is in overflow may just have to be Major Tom'd as well, which means I need to clear one more space. Perhaps Wesley, though this would make the second time I've sent him out the airlock.

Drafted McCoy continues to survive due to his fabulous beard/jumpsuit combo.

Though, on the good news front, a third star for my Gorn Captain just dropped in Voyages at the 6th hour!

• Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Mirror Sisko who is in overflow may just have to be Major Tom'd as well,
    At this stage he have nothing going for him. Besides being mirror and Sisko, but even then not at 1*.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing I dragged my heels on airlocking Kazon Seska - there’s always that fear that right after you dismiss crew they’re going to be event crew for next event.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it defeat it the purpose of obtaining the crew in the first place, or is this just a way to save overflowing crew slots?

When you reach a point where you’ve obtained hundreds of Racquetball Bashir’s.....

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing I dragged my heels on airlocking Kazon Seska - there’s always that fear that right after you dismiss crew they’re going to be event crew for next event.

+1 this, so much this. For months, my dreams were haunted by the memory of airlocking ... wait, which card was that again? 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Sometimes, I can’t tell if Voyages is being kind or trolling me. Two recent super-rare drops: one completely new (Kilana) and one already in my cryo-vault (Formal Dress Wesley).

Add that to my new 3/4 Lwaxxana Troi and 1/4 Dixon Hill from the last event... more vacuum.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, I can’t tell if Voyages is being kind or trolling me. Two recent super-rare drops: one completely new and one already in my cryo-vault.

Add that to my new 3/4 Lwaxxana Troi and 1/4 Dixon Hill from the last event... more vacuum.

I know just how you feel just cleared two precious spaces only to get the Jannar sequence come up for the first time ever and Sherif Worf to drop - there goes my two slots.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

+1 this, so much this. For months, my dreams were haunted by the memory of airlocking ... wait, which card was that again? 🖖🏻

Now I'm trying to guess which DS9 crew are going to get featured or ignored in this Mega-event. Is Trader Odo actually going to be useful? Undercover O'Brien sent to infiltrate a Ketracel White facility? Is this newly dropped Kilana going to show up?

Or, none of them will come into play. I've still got a preemptively leveled up T'Rul wondering what happened in the Romulan-Vulcan mega-event.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay, I got a Caretaker!

Now, who else dies...?
  • Options
    Yay, I got a Caretaker!

Now, who else dies...?

Congratulations.
  • Options
    Is freezing the same as airlocking or completely different?
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Is freezing the same as airlocking or completely different?

Freezing refers to putting crew in cryostasis – you can only do this once they are immortalised (fully fused, level 100 and fully equipped). Once in cryostasis, they no longer take up a crew slot, but they can be retrieved in exchange for some merits should you need them again.

Airlocking refers to dismissing crew. Dismissed crew are completely gone, and if you ever want to get them back, you will basically have to collect, level, and equip them all over as if you never had them before.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Sometimes, I can’t tell if Voyages is being kind or trolling me. Two recent super-rare drops: one completely new and one already in my cryo-vault.

I know just how you feel just cleared two precious spaces only to get the Jannar sequence come up for the first time ever and Sherif Worf to drop - there goes my two slots.

Exactly. And now a Klingon Quark has showed up for me on Voyage before last. Still, gift horses and all.

So, on to this new list of potential airlock fodder:

Command Hologram
    Assimilated Tuvok
    Ba'ku Worf
    Doc Crusher
    Trader Odo
    Nexus Kirk
    Lieutenant Arex Na Eth
    Drafted McCoy
    Undercover O'Brien
    Detective Dixon Hill
    Kilana
    Klingon Quark (Overdraft)

Thinking either Drafted McCoy or Arex, even though I like both characters and cards. I'd like to get rid of Ba'ku Worf, but with Sona running about during this mega-event, I worry he and his phaser bazooka are going to get called into play.

At least I was able to take Kazon Seska from 1/4 to immortalized in the New Providers event.
  • Options
    Doc. Crusher is main crew and amazing for gauntlet of you don't have Phlox and Nurse Faith G.