Home The Bridge

The gauntlet!

2»

Comments

• I have very mixed feelings about the gauntlet's reward structure. On the one hand, just about every other game on the market with a similar mode awards tokens based on rank. This makes sense. You feel like your efforts are rewarded with slow but steady progress. On the other hand, I hate everything about the gauntlet's mechanics and making it more competitive to rank would also make it even less bearable to play.

I wouldn't say the arena is good, but it's slightly better than the gauntlet in this regard.
  • Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    For all the trashing of the gauntlet, I just had a weird yet positive experience. I had just finished my 5 rounds, all my characters maxed, then the screen froze, came back on, and 4 out of 5 were reloaded! I didn't hit the renew with dilithium or anything. Of course, 3 out of 4 lost their rounds, but hey, they were free!
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the gauntlet is fair. I've had as many spectacular wins as unexpected losses. I never spend dilithium and very rarely use merits. The rewards are minor and there are way too many blue trainers, but it is worth the effort.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still do the Gauntlet regularly. Since getting the Locutus achievement I've been more slack about it but I still try to finish decently. Its still gives me chrons, 3* pulls and equipment. That's good enough.

I do have a concern about equipment though. Over the past few weeks I've gotten more 5* equipment than normal. Maybe its luck, maybe not. However, the equipment is not usable. One was for a 4* that I had vaulted, the rest were for 5*'s I don't have. It makes me wonder if there's been a change to the loot table. Coinciding with this I've gotten a 4/5 Caretaker. Less than 3 weeks ago, I had none. It feels a little weird.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • 5% crit vs 25%
    b69bnigrdo6j.png
    Is so rare when a crew with 25% don't crit, even when only have 3 rolls against 6 of yours.

Sorry, but there is a pattern there and don't look very nice to players.
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    A while back someone tracked something like 50 mirror matches and found the win loss was right about 50%. I personally have seen no bias I’ve lost plenty of matches where I was favored 80% I’ve also one somewhere I was favored to win 20%. There are places where I don’t think it’s transparent and working fairly but I think the gauntlet is. It’s just up to you whether you think it’s fun and worthwhile
  • I've learned to accept what the gauntlet is and every now and then it surprises me. Just today, my 5% 7 of 9 crited 2x to beat my 25% opponent who didn't crit at all. Last week I got my second star on Daystrom with the merit pulls. Is it annoying when Kahless loses to M.Picard? Sure, but the free honor through merit drops, small though it may be, alleviates much of the frustration.
  • jestergeniejestergenie ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    I still do the Gauntlet regularly. Since getting the Locutus achievement I've been more slack about it but I still try to finish decently.

So Locutus is the only Gauntlet exclusive character offered via Gauntlet achievement?
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    I still do the Gauntlet regularly. Since getting the Locutus achievement I've been more slack about it but I still try to finish decently.

So Locutus is the only Gauntlet exclusive character offered via Gauntlet achievement?

That is correct. He is the reward at 20k rounds and there are no additional rewards for rounds completed after that.
    I've never received a character in the gauntlet. How do u get one to pop up?
    I've never received a character in the gauntlet. How do u get one to pop up?

Run thousands of rounds and get lucky. On every streak chest (multiples of 3) and every end chest there is a very small (far less than 1%) chance of getting the current gauntlet character. So its just about streaks and luck. I ran thousands of rounds and never got Locutus, then I got 6 Guinans....
  • I've never received a character in the gauntlet. How do u get one to pop up?

Just keep playing and hope one drops. Can happen in streak boxes or in end-of-gauntlet boxes. It's never happened for me either, but lots and lots of others have.
  • PolPol ✭✭✭
    Gauntlet is soooo frustrating for me. But i don´t think it is rigged. The prize being the best characters for Gauntlet is a real pain though.
    I have been tracking gauntlet crits for a few weeks since the last time gauntlet fairness was hotly debated. I still need a little more data, particulaly for the 65% tier (where's a all-Guanin gauntlet when you need one lol), but the trend is clear:

"5% player" = 43 crits / 834 rolls = 5.10%
    "5% opponet" = 50/1227 = 4.07%
    "25% player" = 451/1788 = 25.22%
    "25% opponet" = 297/1236 = 24.03%
    "45% player" = 344/555 = 43.96%
    "45% opponet" = 293/642 = 45.64%
    "65% player" = 113/171 = 66.08%
    "65% opponet" = 62/102 = 60.78%

Conclusion: gauntlet crits are fair

No, no, no. You can't be the voice of reason. Don't you get it? Now you'll be ridiculed and vilified for speaking the truth. It's a great, big, conspiracy against The Man! Good info though.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be willing to bet the chance of Catetaker dropping diminishes over time. I got 3 of him the first two weeks the Gauntlet was reset with him, then 4th about a month later. Nothing but low rank rewards since.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
    I have been tracking gauntlet crits for a few weeks since the last time gauntlet fairness was hotly debated. I still need a little more data, particulaly for the 65% tier (where's a all-Guanin gauntlet when you need one lol), but the trend is clear:

Can you post something else just so I can “awesome” you again for this?
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be willing to bet the chance of Catetaker dropping diminishes over time. I got 3 of him the first two weeks the Gauntlet was reset with him, then 4th about a month later. Nothing but low rank rewards since.

I got my first Caretaker 2-3 weeks ago. 4 days later he was 3/5. A week after that he is 4/5. Weird rolls are weird. My Guinan's and Locuti were widely spaced in drops.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Definitely there is something wrong with gauntlet.
    if DB says it is per design, then they design the game to frustrate users.

For almost all my matches, i always try have better stats and crits, but there are always surprises which def unexpected.

xjfjkhuplxpd.jpeg
    2fc8ndc0xctu.jpeg

6btqal9d9qr6.jpeg
    5si37m42ywcc.jpeg
    yp3vaq2tyrvp.jpeg
    67dklw0kvcjt.jpeg
    n7um1pmixp2b.jpeg
  • Personally, I’d love to see the Gauntlet revamped by simply splitting it into two parts. One gauntlet would function just like it does now, where you can use any crew you desire, and the other would be for weaker players, limiting the crew you can use to 3 stars and below. That would probably even things up, I think. I’m not sure how they’d go about changing rewards or whatnot though.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • jestergeniejestergenie ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Personally, I’d love to see the Gauntlet revamped by simply splitting it into two parts. One gauntlet would function just like it does now, where you can use any crew you desire, and the other would be for weaker players, limiting the crew you can use to 3 stars and below. That would probably even things up, I think. I’m not sure how they’d go about changing rewards or whatnot though.

Gauntlet with all its faults, defects and deficiencies will remain stale, boring and frustrating as long as it's based only on RNG. You have to know the reason of your failure. Bad RNG has never been and will never be such a reason.
  • I have been tracking gauntlet crits for a few weeks since the last time gauntlet fairness was hotly debated. I still need a little more data, particulaly for the 65% tier (where's a all-Guanin gauntlet when you need one lol), but the trend is clear:

I’d like to see the same numbers but for “streak killers”. Every third rounds where you’re getting drops
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like to see the same numbers but for “streak killers”. Every third rounds where you’re getting drops

Fortunately, "streak count" is included in the output I am using from the iampicard tool in the other thread.