Home Ready Room
Options

Are there any bad 5-stars?

2»

Comments

• Options
    EctorEctor ✭✭
    I've discovered yet another definition of a "bad" 5-star. Yesterday I've got a Legendary Behold and could choose another star for One (and probably even another star for $25), but I've chosen Borg Queen instead, because she's very good, and One is bad.
    If you ever refuse to upgrade your 5-star to choose another 5-star, that means you consider your 5-star "bad" :smile: My One is still my ENG leader, but I will eventually replace him with somebody better.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ector wrote: »
    I've discovered yet another definition of a "bad" 5-star. Yesterday I've got a Legendary Behold and could choose another star for One (and probably even another star for $25), but I've chosen Borg Queen instead, because she's very good, and One is bad.
    If you ever refuse to upgrade your 5-star to choose another 5-star, that means you consider your 5-star "bad" :smile: My One is still my ENG leader, but I will eventually replace him with somebody better.

Not necessarily true the chance to unlock another good card weighs particularly high when making a behold decision for instance if RAF O'Brien out of a choice of adding a star to my CMR Kira or DA McCoy I would still most likely choose to unlock RAF O'Brien that has no bearing on how good the other two are, only that they are not Engineers.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but that isn’t even remotely correct. If you somehow got a behold with One, Sela, and Promoted Sisko and chose Sela or Sisko over another star on One (without being constrained by slots), you might have a point as opposed to evidence you value COM more than ENG.
  • Options
    EctorEctor ✭✭
    Sorry, but that isn’t even remotely correct. If you somehow got a behold with One, Sela, and Promoted Sisko and chose Sela or Sisko over another star on One (without being constrained by slots), you might have a point as opposed to evidence you value COM more than ENG.
    This is a factor, of course, but not important enough to choose a bad COM crew over a good ENG crew. The point is if you know your guy is bad, you hope to find someone better, why would you pump the bad guy?

• Options
    This is a factor, of course, but not important enough to choose a bad COM crew over a good ENG crew. The point is if you know your guy is bad, you hope to find someone better, why would you pump the bad guy?

The question is would you wait for the bus that hasn't come over the bus that has arrived. The bus that has arrived may have a slower route, may not take you to the right destination but it would be within walking distance and you don't know exactly when the next bus will come (and indeed whether it will be any better or worse). Right now we are entering 200+ bus routes and limited chances to get the "best ones."

Either way at 5/5 they achieve more or less the same thing for voyages, bar 1 legendary they are ranked higher than all Super Rares when fully fused fully equipped.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Either way at 5/5 they achieve more or less the same thing for voyages, bar 1 legendary they are ranked higher than all Super Rares when fully fused fully equipped.
    Only you need to GET them to said 5/5. Which usually involves citations. 5* that will stay 1/5 unless lucky chance (and no better crew in behold) will give him additional star and that is worse than good 4/4 at said 1/5 is bad 5*. Unless it's primary worth is gauntlet - but I don't remember gauntlet stars (and not just "will do") that is bad 5* since Voyages.

There are no bad 5/5, yes... but there is enormous number of bad 1/5 and plenty of bad 3/5.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    al103 wrote: »
    Only you need to GET them to said 5/5. Which usually involves citations. 5* that will stay 1/5 unless lucky chance (and no better crew in behold) will give him additional star and that is worse than good 4/4 at said 1/5 is bad 5*. Unless it's primary worth is gauntlet - but I don't remember gauntlet stars (and not just "will do") that is bad 5* since Voyages.

There are no bad 5/5, yes... but there is enormous number of bad 1/5 and plenty of bad 3/5.

Yes but you have taken my main point out of the context and that is persevering with the Legendaries you receive also reaps the benefits that you are looking for. You could easily be waiting more than 4 months down the line to "replace" One (in this case), all the while you could have cited him up and made use of him. E.G. for me I only unlocked a decent in portal legendary Engineer after about 10 months of playing this game. Now Assimilated La Forge is probably on my number 1 list to cite up, well maybe second because interfaced Geordi isn't in the portal and his ENG is secondary so needs the star boosts more than assimilated La Forge.
  • Options
    EctorEctor ✭✭
    You could easily be waiting more than 4 months down the line to "replace" One (in this case), all the while you could have cited him up and made use of him. E.G. for me I only unlocked a decent in portal legendary Engineer after about 10 months of playing this game.
    I hope not. New offers are frequent, and chances should be decent.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    You could easily be waiting more than 4 months down the line to "replace" One (in this case), all the while you could have cited him up and made use of him. E.G. for me I only unlocked a decent in portal legendary Engineer after about 10 months of playing this game.
    I hope not. New offers are frequent, and chances should be decent.

luck swings in runabouts (the ones that DS9 usually loses), I've lost track the number of 10x10s I bought in the vain hope of getting at least one begold.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Yes but you have taken my main point out of the context and that is persevering with the Legendaries you receive also reaps the benefits that you are looking for. You could easily be waiting more than 4 months down the line to "replace" One (in this case), all the while you could have cited him up and made use of him. E.G. for me I only unlocked a decent in portal legendary Engineer after about 10 months of playing this game. Now Assimilated La Forge is probably on my number 1 list to cite up, well maybe second because interfaced Geordi isn't in the portal and his ENG is secondary so needs the star boosts more than assimilated La Forge.
    You have either to play hilariously bad to not have any 5* worth citation over bad 1/5. Or you should have very limited time to play meaning said citations are even more precious as you don't have that many of them (unless you throw enormous amount of money and then good 5* are not issue at all because packs). If it comes to it Kahless is still in portal. And more useful for every Voyage that is not pure Eng/Sec. And even for pure Eng/Sec it tells more about rarity of Eng than usefulness of One. Hollander don't have same saving grace, he's barely worth using on Com/Sec Voyage over 4* even as 5/5.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    You have either to play hilariously bad to not have any 5* worth citation over bad 1/5. Or you should have very limited time to play meaning said citations are even more precious as you don't have that many of them (unless you throw enormous amount of money and then good 5* are not issue at all because packs). If it comes to it Kahless is still in portal. And more useful for every Voyage that is not pure Eng/Sec. And even for pure Eng/Sec it tells more about rarity of Eng than usefulness of One. Hollander don't have same saving grace, he's barely worth using on Com/Sec Voyage over 4* even as 5/5.

On the contrary I think the thread about honor debt explains it clearly enough and there are loads of legendary I would love to cite up instantaneously, Cmr Kira, Bell Riots Dax, Both La Forges already mentioned, DA McCoy, Bashir, Julian Bashir, Gangster Kirk, Benny Russell.

What we are getting at is obtaining the specific skills (and the rarity of it) and waiting stoically until a better card in that category comes your way but as pointed out the rarity of getting legendaries in the first place let alone being lucky to get a choice that will "replace" the card you have already unlocked, could take an exceptionally long time when in the meantime you could have cited it up and made good use of that initial card. We also don't know the OPs collection of other legendaries to make such a judgement call in any case, I'm merely going on what information I have to hand.

Regarding Hollander his stats still strip out any sec com purple I know of, the only instance I can think of where a purple might be better is if a card like Robin Hood was event crew for a faction event and Hollander didn't have event bonus.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    On the contrary I think the thread about honor debt explains it clearly enough and there are loads of legendary I would love to cite up instantaneously, Cmr Kira, Bell Riots Dax, Both La Forges already mentioned, DA McCoy, Bashir, Julian Bashir, Gangster Kirk, Benny Russell.

What we are getting at is obtaining the specific skills (and the rarity of it) and waiting stoically until a better card in that category comes your way but as pointed out the rarity of getting legendaries in the first place let alone being lucky to get a choice that will "replace" the card you have already unlocked, could take an exceptionally long time when in the meantime you could have cited it up and made good use of that initial card. We also don't know the OPs collection of other legendaries to make such a judgement call in any case, I'm merely going on what information I have to hand.
    Or you can use citation on more useful card in different category (that is not com/sec) and get better use out of it on voyages and maybe even shuttles.
    Regarding Hollander his stats still strip out any sec com purple I know of, the only instance I can think of where a purple might be better is if a card like Robin Hood was event crew for a faction event and Hollander didn't have event bonus.
    Thing is - for Voyages unless you heavily use Dil overstacking main pair is mostly useless. I can easily make Com/Sec or Sec/Com 14k/13k while 8h Voyage requires 10k and I don't doubt that I'm NOT only one like that. Com, Sec and to lesser extent Dip are too common. While Hollanders combined 2.5k Voyage score allows to put somebody without Com and Sec at all to jack up other stats, on Voyage that don't have both Com and Sec it's already not enough because of more relevant 4* that often reach 2.3-2.4k of said combined score. Was one of his stat Eng that is rare and precious or at least Sci or Med that are lagging behind and he would've been more useful at his stats. But as is... And pretty easily accessible 5* Kahless is not that much worse at Com/Sec shuttles.

*looks at his own cards*
    And even with rare skill... If I didn't had ProtoBarclay and Leonardo, but had One instead... he wouldn't got citation ahead of Burnham despite me already having solid Com.
  • Options
    I get how 1-skill / 1-dimensional Captain Scott is but he is still my 3rd best Engineering skill now. I fully fused early before I know better but he has been very useful in Shuttles, Space Battles (awesome accuracy) and Skirmishes now. I guess it comes down to how you use these 'bad' characters.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Redneval wrote: »
    I get how 1-skill / 1-dimensional Captain Scott is but he is still my 3rd best Engineering skill now. I fully fused early before I know better but he has been very useful in Shuttles, Space Battles (awesome accuracy) and Skirmishes now. I guess it comes down to how you use these 'bad' characters.
    There is no bad 5/5. Even Captain Scott have his nice place on Shuttles. 1/5 though...
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redneval wrote: »
    There is no bad 5/5. Even Captain Scott have his nice place on Shuttles. 1/5 though...

Before Reading Rambo and the Banjoman (hey, a cool band name!) came along, Captain Scott at least had some gauntlet value. But now? I only use him in the arena. I freeze arena-only 4* crew and would strongly consider freezing Scotty if DB let us freeze FE’d legendary characters at any fuse level.
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I will say this. I have Rom and Dukat immortalized and I have never used them once for anything.
    I do use Rom a bit on voyages, sure hes not brilliant but he does count as Ferengi and (I think) Bajoran so always good to get an AM boost.

I also use 5* Rom alot on Voyages. Granted, I only have @20 gold crew, but nonetheless, that DIP-ENG combo is helpful to boost the primary and secondary skills. I just used him 2nite for that very reason: ENG-DIP were the primary/secondary on the Voyage I'm currently in.
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!