Home The Bridge

Well Handled

2»

Comments

• ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you get carrots with that? ;)
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am quietly judging you while eating my "delicious" rice cake right now.
  • RogaDanarRogaDanar ✭✭✭
    I am going to eat my cottage cheese now...darn you guys for making me hungry!
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    @Shan I'm in agreement that communication on this issue, at least from DB, fell miles short of satisfactory. We had at least one early report of a player who had excess dilithium removed, but got to keep a bunch of characters he'd acquired with said dilithium. That brought up a lot of questions like:

Are players getting to keep characters they purchased with tainted dilithium?

Are players getting to keep shuttles purchased with tainted dilithium?

Are players getting to keep crew slots purchased with tainted dilithium?

Are players getting to keep honor acquired from tainted dilithium?

What if they acquired honor and used it to cite up characters? Are you unfusing said characters?

Are players getting their VIP levels adjusted to what they should be? Or are there now 200 more VIP 14s out there getting all the perks that I paid an obscene amount of money to get?

These are the main concerns I had. And what, 6 days later, you still haven't answered these basic questions that I'm guessing a LOT of people here have been waiting for. That is just a fail on so many levels. The fact that all the threads about this issue kept being closed only added insult to injury. Stop closing threads because players are mad. They are right to be angry. You guys messed up. Massively. And in true DB fashion, you compounded your failures by not being forthright about the steps you intended to take to remedy the situation. It's really hard to fathom that you guys have learned nothing from the massive mistakes that have been made since I've been playing, but from the outside looking in, that is exactly what it seems like.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was no doubt a major blunder, but I don't think a lot of people realize just how much work it will take to try to make things right. Even a few well-respected and honest players — who surely meant no harm, but were admittedly being a bit naughty ;) — ended up spending some of the dilithium they got from this, knowing it would be taken away, and confessing that they were just having a bit of fun; but in doing so, that bit of fun may have caused extra work for the DB employee(s) who are trying to straighten it out. And there are likely a significant number of others with far less virtuous intentions who were trying to get away with it by spending as much as possible on as many things as possible.

A simple roll-back, then, would never work. I can't even imagine the headache involved in trying to rectify the situation for each individual player who did anything more than just acquire the dilithium and leave it be. I wouldn't doubt this could take weeks to sort out. Be upset that it happened in the first place, yes. But I think it's unfair to pass judgement on the status of the reparations at this relatively early stage.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan I'm in agreement that communication on this issue, at least from DB, fell miles short of satisfactory. We had at least one early report of a player who had excess dilithium removed, but got to keep a bunch of characters he'd acquired with said dilithium. That brought up a lot of questions like:

Are players getting to keep characters they purchased with tainted dilithium?

Are players getting to keep shuttles purchased with tainted dilithium?

Are players getting to keep crew slots purchased with tainted dilithium?

Are players getting to keep honor acquired from tainted dilithium?

What if they acquired honor and used it to cite up characters? Are you unfusing said characters?

Are players getting their VIP levels adjusted to what they should be? Or are there now 200 more VIP 14s out there getting all the perks that I paid an obscene amount of money to get?

These are the main concerns I had. And what, 6 days later, you still haven't answered these basic questions that I'm guessing a LOT of people here have been waiting for. That is just a fail on so many levels. The fact that all the threads about this issue kept being closed only added insult to injury. Stop closing threads because players are mad. They are right to be angry. You guys messed up. Massively. And in true DB fashion, you compounded your failures by not being forthright about the steps you intended to take to remedy the situation. It's really hard to fathom that you guys have learned nothing from the massive mistakes that have been made since I've been playing, but from the outside looking in, that is exactly what it seems like.

So...maybe you should go and read the itemized receipt Frank posted up a few posts. It is getting handled.

DB doesnt owe you a response to how they are individually are responding. Their time is better spent doing the fix, not detailing it all for you.

Frank's post doesn't address all my questions. And more importantly, I haven't given Frank enough money to pay my mortgage for 9 months. I don't think it's unreasonable for DISRUPTOR BEAM to actually address the concerns of it's paying players.
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Db could have said 1/10th of what you did Frank & Silver, then I sincerely doubt that the flames would have grown so high..

Even a couple simple answers to some simple questions could have saved everyone a lot of frustration.

Even a very short and simple message
    "Everything gained as a result of the errored pack, Dilithium, credits, crew, chronitons, vip ect will be manually removed, this may take x_#weeks"

Boom done..
    Simple, easy answers to help us understand.

If I'd seen that message, I would have stopped looking / participating in threads regarding this issue right off.

Thank you both for the info.

• They have let you know what's going on. They are working with players on an individual basis to make their accounts "right".

You say you "don't need specifics", so that should be sufficient. ...unless what you ACTUALLY want is specifics. In that case, you'll have to wait for people like Frank and others to share their individual actions, because I doubt DB would want to share the details of another player's account with the public.

Nobody's contacted me. They took my dil and that was that. They asked me to contact them. Not exactly transparent. They should have contacted me and said "we're taking x dil". Nope.

As for the specifics I mentioned, there should have been a general accounting. "We're allowing you to keep the 350 extra" is nice and all, but there was no attempt to "work" with me. I'm not asking to know how much was taken from everyone. I wanted to know what was going on with me without me having to jump through more hoops. I just spent three weeks arguing with CS over several bugs I've encountered and I'm not going to go into the nightmare that was because I have an open thread already about it.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Farnsworth wrote: »
    They have let you know what's going on. They are working with players on an individual basis to make their accounts "right".

You say you "don't need specifics", so that should be sufficient. ...unless what you ACTUALLY want is specifics. In that case, you'll have to wait for people like Frank and others to share their individual actions, because I doubt DB would want to share the details of another player's account with the public.

Nobody's contacted me. They took my dil and that was that. They asked me to contact them. Not exactly transparent. They should have contacted me and said "we're taking x dil". Nope.

As for the specifics I mentioned, there should have been a general accounting. "We're allowing you to keep the 350 extra" is nice and all, but there was no attempt to "work" with me. I'm not asking to know how much was taken from everyone. I wanted to know what was going on with me without me having to jump through more hoops. I just spent three weeks arguing with CS over several bugs I've encountered and I'm not going to go into the nightmare that was because I have an open thread already about it.

You were contacted by in-game mail but while it was not possible for said mail to contain specifics I agree that it should have been more clear about what to expect, how it would be communicated to you and the timetable around it.

I certainly hope that something like this will never happen again, but this is something I have brought up.
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭

You were contacted by in-game mail but while it was not possible for said mail to contain specifics I agree that it should have been more clear about what to expect, how it would be communicated to you and the timetable around it.

I certainly hope that something like this will never happen again, but this is something I have brought up.

Amen to that. Kinda a pain that you keep having to clean up someone elses mistakes and manage the forum fall out. Any hopes for them adding the QA/pack testing steps we have been asking for after this?

• FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.
    I'd happily be a beta / qa tester
    (I think a lot of hands are about to go up again lol)
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »

Let Weyoun teach you some cloning tricks. So in the case a "nightmare" like this should happen again you will relax on the beach. While your clone will clean up the mess :p

• Shan wrote: »

Thank you, Shan, for that concession. I really appreciate it. I also hope nothing like this happens again for many reasons, not least of which is what sounds like thousands of man hours for cleaning the mess up that can't be dedicated to other, also-important things.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    wvsg2ihv2ssb.png

Also Frank and SilverRose, for sharing so many details.