Home The Bridge
Options

Gauntlet Round Compilation

Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
Once again, the gauntlet has started to inspire a new set of frustration. I would like to actually investigate if the gauntlet rolls are truly fair.

The first, and most time consuming, step of this process is data collection. I would like a minimum of 1000 (and, ideally, more like 10,000) individual rounds to compare. Fortunately, a relatively new tool has made this collection significantly easier:

https://iampicard.github.io/

The gauntlet section for this tool now has an "Export" functionality that will write the results of all of your rounds to a CSV file. This includes data like which characters were used, what the expected roll range and crits were, the streak prior to the round happening, etc.

I have started uploading my results here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sYlf7A6M-kaENSsxoHhiUrpNuv71zNRz50Izi-ARB6E/edit#gid=0

I plan on sharing ALL results I get from everyone here. I won't allow people to upload directly because I don't want them to mess up the data, but you can always make a copy of it and work with it yourself (similar to my Lvl100 spreadsheet).

If you want to contribute your rounds to the compilation, please send them to sttgauntlet@gmail.com (NOTE: I will not open anything that isn't a *.CSV file. It'll just get deleted)

I don't plan on doing any analysis on this data until it has grown significantly, but, I am hoping, that this data can do one of the following:
  1. If the gauntlet is fair, add confidence that it actually is in all cases
  2. If the gauntlet is not fair, hone in on exactly how it is unfair (like was done with the shuttle failure testing)

I don't expect I will be the only one analyzing this information. In fact, I hope there are others who are interested in it as well. The data is pretty exhaustive and should cover most, if not all, of the various gauntlet theories out there.

Comments

• Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been especially frustrated with Gauntlet lately as well... I'll try to participate here
  • Options
    One thing our data won't show is "predatory match-making": an internal system that intentionally gives us matches we can't win, so we either have to merit refresh, dil refresh, or "red-shirt".
  • Options
    One thing our data won't show is "predatory match-making": an internal system that intentionally gives us matches we can't win, so we either have to merit refresh, dil refresh, or "red-shirt".

Create a request on the iampicard tool. They could also keep track of the presented matches in some fashion. All you need to do is ask and have good rules for what you're looking for.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand where the feelings of unfairness stem from once you've tried the github standalone application crew management tool, the gauntlet play function there shows you a % chance of a round win. I've never lost one that says I have 100% chance of victory, and my personal experience with it is that high % chances of winning seem to correlate most of the time to frequent victory. With crits in the picture, there are obviously going to be anomalies where even a crew with 5% crit could possibly get ALL crits, unlikely as that is. I guess if you collect a large database you could attempt to measure if the average of expected 5% crits is close to the stated number, but that seems like a lot of effort just to determine if the formula used in RNG calculation is really based on 5% expected outcome.
  • Options
    I don't understand where the feelings of unfairness stem from once you've tried the github standalone application crew management tool, the gauntlet play function there shows you a % chance of a round win. I've never lost one that says I have 100% chance of victory, and my personal experience with it is that high % chances of winning seem to correlate most of the time to frequent victory. With crits in the picture, there are obviously going to be anomalies where even a crew with 5% crit could possibly get ALL crits, unlikely as that is. I guess if you collect a large database you could attempt to measure if the average of expected 5% crits is close to the stated number, but that seems like a lot of effort just to determine if the formula used in RNG calculation is really based on 5% expected outcome.

I, also, believe that the gauntlet is a fair system. I don't have any proof of that. While this certainly won't rise to the point of proof, it can at least provide confidence.

Yes, bad beats happen, and they are supposed to happen. Sometimes. The question is if there is a bias in the system.
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny thing is, once I stopped caring and getting upset, and just rolled with it, I've had some of my highest finishes.

Of course it's not fair, it's a Gauntlet, its supposed to be painful.
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is, once I stopped caring and getting upset, and just rolled with it, I've had some of my highest finishes.

Totally. Besides some players are notorious for ensuring victory by using dil to elevate themselves literally 10-15,000 points above the “lesser players”
  • Options
    Over 200 runs compiled today. Thank you to all the contributors. Remember, for this to be useful, we need to have a LOT more. If you can, run all of your gauntlets in the iampicard tool and then export them at the end of the day. The more rounds we have, the better picture we can create.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I applaud your efforts, but I fear this is going to be a somewhat skewed test from the get-go... I would venture to say that a lot of players do not regularly take on opponents who are weighted up to 30 percent against them, let alone head-to-head matches. And both of those is where I see the randomness often swinging in my favor. Without an equal amount of those types of matchups, the data will be rather incomplete, don't you think?

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I applaud your efforts, but I fear this is going to be a somewhat skewed test from the get-go... I would venture to say that a lot of players do not regularly take on opponents who are weighted up to 30 percent against them, let alone head-to-head matches. And both of those is where I see the randomness often swinging in my favor. Without an equal amount of those types of matchups, the data will be rather incomplete, don't you think?

They don't need to be equal in quantities, just sufficient in numbers.

I am a lot more interested in if crit percentages are accurate and displayed ranges are evenly distributed. For those tests, in particular, it doesn't matter what the expected win rate is only that the rolls are following expected behavior.

If the rolls are following expected crit and range behavior, then the system is be necessarily fair and operating as expected.
  • Options
    DALE KDALE K ✭✭
    i commend you on being proactive with this, and truly is an issue that needs fixing. I had come at customer support on this issue a ling time ado and they basically said that they have people checking this stuff daily and overall it comes out fair when they look at everyone of millions of players. if you gave a loss or 100 losses it is made up for when other people get wins. So, not suggesting you give up, but thinking that even 1000 players adding data and proving that there is an issue (Which I am certain will prove true) will nit cause them to admit their error.
  • Options
    DALE K wrote: »
    i commend you on being proactive with this, and truly is an issue that needs fixing. I had come at customer support on this issue a ling time ado and they basically said that they have people checking this stuff daily and overall it comes out fair when they look at everyone of millions of players. if you gave a loss or 100 losses it is made up for when other people get wins. So, not suggesting you give up, but thinking that even 1000 players adding data and proving that there is an issue (Which I am certain will prove true) will nit cause them to admit their error.

They fixed the AND shuttle error in the face of incontrovertible statistics. Even if they haven't publicly admitted it, the community work finally exposed it.

The problem with the gauntlet is that there hasn't been a transparent set of data to show any specific nefarious behavior.
  • Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing what your data reveals. I suspect it will show bias in favor of the defender. In fact, I'll be shocked if it doesn't.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing what your data reveals. I suspect it will show bias in favor of the defender. In fact, I'll be shocked if it doesn't.

hicq3aumw6ry.gif

• Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »

hicq3aumw6ry.gif

My gut tells me the defender will have a higher overall % of maximum on their rolls, on both crits and non-crits than the attacker. What makes you so dead certain it isn't biased? Are you sitting on a pile of data that disproves my hypothesis?
  • Options
    ...or maybe you can all submit you data so we can actually answer the question instead of bicker and pontificate about it?
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this in the other gauntlet thread, but I might as well post them here.

"5% player" = 43 crits / 834 rolls = 5.10%
    "5% opponet" = 50/1227 = 4.07%
    "25% player" = 451/1788 = 25.22%
    "25% opponet" = 297/1236 = 24.03%
    "45% player" = 344/555 = 43.96%
    "45% opponet" = 293/642 = 45.64%
    "65% player" = 113/171 = 66.08%
    "65% opponet" = 62/102 = 60.78%

I've been tracking for a few weeks since the last time gauntlet fairness was debated. Still need more 65% tier datapoints but the trend is clear. Crit percentages at the very least are fair. Not speaking for regular rolls or opponet selection or if specific situations will lead to certain results or if the freemasons and the trilateral comission have their hands on the scale.
  • Options
    I posted this in the other gauntlet thread, but I might as well post them here.

"5% player" = 43 crits / 834 rolls = 5.10%
    "5% opponet" = 50/1227 = 4.07%
    "25% player" = 451/1788 = 25.22%
    "25% opponet" = 297/1236 = 24.03%
    "45% player" = 344/555 = 43.96%
    "45% opponet" = 293/642 = 45.64%
    "65% player" = 113/171 = 66.08%
    "65% opponet" = 62/102 = 60.78%

I've been tracking for a few weeks since the last time gauntlet fairness was debated. Still need more 65% tier datapoints but the trend is clear. Crit percentages at the very least are fair. Not speaking for regular rolls or opponet selection or if specific situations will lead to certain results or if the freemasons and the trilateral comission have their hands on the scale.

initially, I was disappointed I missed the Guinan fun of a few weeks ago to get more 65% sampling. But now I have the 65% Kahless gauntlet, so yay?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...or maybe you can all submit you data so we can actually answer the question instead of bicker and pontificate about it?

Busted, lol. :#

i9ibw30mhw0w.jpg

• Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the arbitrary rewards system is a much bigger issue than the fairness of the matches.
  • Options
    Just shy of 400 rounds. Keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    We broke 500 rounds yesterday. Thank you to everyone who has been submitting their rounds.

I had one user who submitted 8000 rounds. After some conversation with them, neither of us were 100% sure how the iampicard tool managed to spit out that many. So I have decided to isolate those rounds to the "Gauntlet Dump" sheet and exclude them from the results.

To celebrate hitting 500 rounds, I have created two analysis sheets. The "General Analysis" looks at observed Crit% and Percentile range of individual rolls. Below that is a section comparing iampicard's Expected Win% measured against Observed Win%.

The "Reward Round Analysis" sheet executes the same exact test as the "General Analysis" sheet, but it only looks at "Reward Rounds", that is, rounds where the player will receive an extra reward if they win.

I'll stress that all results are still very preliminary. I'm going to wait until we're at 1000 rounds to actually crow about anything.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sYlf7A6M-kaENSsxoHhiUrpNuv71zNRz50Izi-ARB6E/edit#gid=1506601349

Edit: if there are other analyses/breakdowns you'd like to see, let me know and I can do my best to accommodate.
  • Options
    AandraaAandraa ✭✭✭
    Hey guys! I know Gauntlet its frustrating but i must remind you something to all of you.
    IT'S HOSTED BY "Q"! Isn't Q the most annoying being in the universe? Do you find Q a resonable, logic character? Well, good luck beating the odds vs Q's game! :))
  • Options
    Capt AjammCapt Ajamm ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Yep, soon as i adopted this 3 caretakers dropped over one weekend.

Before that one guinan no locutus.

i adopted this 'i don't care non-strategy' as a means to get 20k rounds, they count win or lose, for my first locutus

Edit: after 16k rounds i finally rank #1 for the achievement
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    z00m98923a8m.jpeg
    dnk791y0htpf.jpeg
    ut8r4lo0mb3c.jpeg
    qprhcn25p919.jpeg
  • Options
    r6h9jle5lp6v.jpeg
    3jxy3u46d0n9.jpeg
    w849vz87h6s5.jpeg
    6e3eotmvd1ot.jpeg
  • Options
    Is there any data about the output in regards of proficiency ranges/crits?

The crits sometimes are even lower than non crits which is mindboggling why it is even a crits in the first place
  • Options
    A crit just doubles what the RNG gives you in the range of you scores.
  • Options
    A crit just doubles what the RNG gives you in the range of you scores.

Not quite. It literally doubles the roll result. This is readily provable because there are no odd crit rolls.