Home Ready Room

Help! Who should get the Legendary Citation?

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in Ready Room
Hey friends.
I know some of you have recently seen me explaining that I lacked a super-high base DIP character. And then my 2/5 Zhian'tara Odo became 3/5 when they offered him for $9.99. When that happened, I made a decision to use the upcoming legendary citation (from the campaign completion in a week) on Odo and get him to 4/5, at which point he would jump to first place as my highest base DIP (I would then cite him again to 5/5 at first opportunity).

khsucdwr9zmy.jpg

But then I pulled One, bringing my existing One to 4/5. Now he's SUPER close to being in my top 3 ENG and top 6 SEC. Plus despite being a 2 stat card, he frequently makes it onto voyages.

ENGINEERING
g1lg9nt9pysm.jpg

SECURITY
7aq2zl8mj08i.jpg

Leland is probably not likely, but I'm open to being convinced. Reason he's here, he'll be 4/5 after campaign is over, and will currently be my only other 4/5 besides One.

Help! Who should get the Legendary Citation? 16 votes

Zhian'tara Odo
56%
JeanLucKirkZann Calcore (ISA)AggeOdo MarmarosaMatt_DeckerIronagedaveDirk GundersonAverage Guy[ISA] Big McLargeHuge 9 votes
One
18%
DownriverRick Commander ShranCaptain_Romo83 3 votes
Covert Operative Leland
0%
Save it for the next Mega Character
25%
DavideBooksSynthetic CommanderAdiJoeSage 2 4 votes

Comments

• Zhian'tara Odo
    Odo is going to have by far the most utility of the three choices here. He has copious event eligibility, and currently fills a need on your roster. That's a win-win. One may be high on your skill ranks now, but he will be outclassed soon as your roster develops. ENG/SEC is a tougher than average voyage combo to fill, but One's total is near the absolute bottom among all legendary crew.
  • I am not going to vote. I would suggest that you check how close you are to the next achievement for Immortalized characters. If you are close, use it on any character you can immortalize.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big McLargeHuge, those are very good points. Actually I should note that until today, One was buried so far in my lists, he almost never came up except on an ENG SEC voyage where Borg or Hero was needed.

Gib - Admiral Mariners, I understand why that would be an idea for some, but I can immortalize any 1* character in about 5 minutes, which I've done a few times to get to the next achievement tier. I'm good there.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Zhian'tara Odo
    I’d vote odo unless there are any other legendaries you are strongly considering citing outside of the list. You probably have enough time to gain enough honor for the next mega or if the next campaign coincides. Also depends how good the next mega legendary will be, my view on mega legendaries has changed drastically as you maybe aware. I can hit sub 1k or 1.5k in events if I want need to. Didn’t really struggle last mega anyway and Thrax is still 4/5.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zhian'tara Odo
    Given these choices, I would recommend Odo first, saving up for the next mega second (depending on your accumulation rate), Leland or anyone else, and then One. I have gone on record elsewhere saying that spending citations on two-skill crew is a good idea if they make your crew better, and I do mean it. But does having a new sixth-best security officer and a new third-best engineer really help as much as Z’Odo? I don’t think so. Especially when more stars on Seven in Silver will go farther in the long run for your ENG needs. Let that fifth star for One drop in a pack or future special offer.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Other
    For ENG cite up Solar Sails Sisko instead and wait for a behold to get the last star on One ... Sisko's ENG base stat takes a massive jump from 4 to 5 and so comes just under Seven in Silver when she's 5/5 ... i.e. he's really close to her stats and has CMD attached for extra benefit ... he'll better for voyages.
    Sisko would be your #2 ENG once FF.
    One is not worth citing, even if it is to complete the Borg collection.

For DIP just wait for someone else to come along ... I suggest Prophet Sarah Sisko or someone similar. Odo's great at 3or4/5 so just wait for another behold for added stars ... He has awesome event benefits, but his skill set is just kinda regular.

SEC ... use Kal-if-fee Kirk a lot? Leland is just a better version without the Kirk event benefits (though with Disco possibilities).

--> I'd go Sisko with 2 citations (campaigns and 50k) ... if you can get 50k again before the next mega event ... EDIT: At 3/5 Sisko would be your current #3 ENG.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Zhian'tara Odo
    I don't have a problem citing 2* characters but you are in good shape for SEC and he is a marginal upgrade for you in ENG, so if it were me, I would pick Odo or use it on someone else depending on your crew.
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save it for the next Mega Character
    I only selected save honor for the next mega because I don't know your rate of honor gain. In my opinion any player should always have 50k saved for the start of any mega event, and decide if the recurring legendary is worth it once you know their stats. If you're not likely to have problems saving honor for the mega, by all means cite Odo.

I would be hard pressed to come up with a scenario where I'd cite One (and I have him in my roster). I think a lot of players have a feeling they must select crew to add citations if they are nearly fully fused, even if they're FAR inferior crew. I would very unlikely add citations to almost any crew below tier 3 in the "Big Book of Behold Advice", and in most cases not even below tier2. Stat creep is too frequent to be investing in crew that are already weaker than others.
  • I guess i am going to go against the general opinions here.
    I would not cite either of them bcuz when you get the next begold you are going to be very disappointed when all 3 r maxed. My advice would be to cite a good 1/5 and build evenly or save your honor for honor hall crew or honor begold. Whichever suits you.

“Despite being 2 skill only” i like 2 skill crew. The full scale of value in the card from the assigned stat numbers is split between 2 skills not 3. Usually the 3rd skill is useless and just taking stats away from from the others skills. There are some really high value 2 skill cards. With 2 strong skills u can get alot farther in missions/expedition events as your crew tires they still have high numbers. And that 3rd low skill can not compete in high number missions.

And lastly, the big book recommendations are sorely skewed. It has alot to do with event bonus usage and 3 trait voyage crew, less to do with all around value. Many ppl who go by this as an absolute can not clear there galaxy map. If u can not clear your map, the most basic part of the game, you cannot warp missions. The ability to warp is a huge timesaver, in addition to those missions needing completion to get the basic recurring supplies. Nothing is an absolute. I would take the book ratings as a suggestion for certain aspects of the game but not every aspect. The wiki is also a good asset to have it just gives facts (not opinions) of what the FF/FL crew will be in the end and shows you what supplies are needed so u know if u want to spend time and chrons for supplying that crew card.
    I am a veteran player with over 500 crew in my roster. I have been choosing my crew before collections, voyages, gauntlet and i have done quite well on my own with no big book. Just instinct to build a diverse strong crew. There are alot of 4* crew listed as 1-3 in the big book that i dismiss every time. And there are alot of excellent crew that i use often of 4* and 5* rated 5-15 category.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zhian'tara Odo
    “Despite being 2 skill only” i like 2 skill crew. The full scale of value in the card from the assigned stat numbers is split between 2 skills not 3. Usually the 3rd skill is useless and just taking stats away from from the others skills. There are some really high value 2 skill cards. With 2 strong skills u can get alot farther in missions/expedition events as your crew tires they still have high numbers. And that 3rd low skill can not compete in high number missions.

This isn’t necessarily a true statement. I’ll use some examples from my own crew (using non-bonus 5/5* stats):

SEC/COM
    Warship Tuvok: 1,281 base SEC and 936 base COM. Total base is 2,217. Proficiencies are relatively poor but would add another 448 points to his voyage score for 2,665 total voyage score.

Thrax: 1,134 base SEC and 1,012 base COM, for a total of 2,146. Proficiencies are better and add another 667 to his voyage score, adding up to 2,813. He will be ever so slightly worse on shuttles, having a total SEC/COM score that is 3.2% lower than Tuvok, though the practical drop in shuttle success rate will be lower yet. However, on voyages he is already ahead of Tuvok even before we add in his DIP skill, something that is unhelpful on shuttles (unless you are really starved for SEC/DIP crew)...Thrax’s total voyage score is 3,453, 788 points higher than Tuvok. That is not a small amount, and directly translates to increased voyage length.

SEC/DIP

Rura Penthe Kirk: 1,337 base SEC and 854 base DIP add up to 2,191 total base score. Add in his decent proficiencies and you get a total voyage score of 2,885.

Mirror Shukar: 1042 base SEC plus 903 base DIP adds up to 1,945 total base. Somewhat lower than Kirk but only lower by 13%. Kirk is the obviously better choice for shuttles, though some will argue that the couple percent increase in shuttle chances really isn’t that important after all. However, Shukar has him licked on voyages, with an extra 727 points from his SEC/DIP proficiencies and a total of 629 points from his tertiary SCI, Shukar blows Kirk away with a voyage score of 3,301.

Voyages are so heavily weighted because they are the best way to amass chronitons and one of the few ways in which F2P players have to expand their 4* crew ranks. Never mind the gear, credits, and replicator rations...and the honor, which can double what you receive in a normal day from all other sources.

The Big Book prioritizes events because that's one of the few places where you can use time and effort rather than money to acquire 5* crew. With all of the shuttle boosts available from Thursday cadet missions, anyone with a good set of bonus crew can make a run for the top 1500 in a faction event at least once every couple of months...more often if you are a light spender and either buy into the premium Campaign track or just get extra Thursday cadet tickets. And anyone can not only rank well in a Galaxy/Skirmish but win with enough preparation, dedication, and thumb exercises...unless you are hamstrung by not having the right event/bonus crew.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    And lastly, the big book recommendations are sorely skewed. It has alot to do with event bonus usage and 3 trait voyage crew, less to do with all around value. Many ppl who go by this as an absolute can not clear there galaxy map. If u can not clear your map, the most basic part of the game, you cannot warp missions. The ability to warp is a huge timesaver, in addition to those missions needing completion to get the basic recurring supplies. Nothing is an absolute. I would take the book ratings as a suggestion for certain aspects of the game but not every aspect. The wiki is also a good asset to have it just gives facts (not opinions) of what the FF/FL crew will be in the end and shows you what supplies are needed so u know if u want to spend time and chrons for supplying that crew card.

Completing those missions has nothing to do if crew are 2 or 3 skill ... in order to 3* all missions you need to have crew with the correct trait and skill combo to unlock certain nodes.
    e.g. In order to 3* Rabid Fans you need a crew with SEC and Investigator ... I managed it with a 1/4 Tommy Gun Dixon (3 skills, 4*), but these days you can do so easily with Thrax (3 skills, 5*). The Big Book specifically mentions this node and even states that TG Dixon's value has dropped significantly because we all got a "free" Thrax and TG Dixon's stats are fairly poor.

I've been able to 3* every single mission with only the mega-event 5*s at either 4/5 or 5/5, my other 5* crew at 1/5 and a number of 4*s at various fuse levels for specific nodes.

The Big Book focuses on voyages because they are an integral part to the game and you are probably sending one or two out a day to bring back resources you need to level your crew. Events are held every weekend and require a myriad of diverse crew to succeed in. Unlocking a node is done once and then you never need to pass that node again because you can warp a mission. I know where I'd focus my crew section criteria.
  • Zhian'tara Odo
    RaraRacing wrote: »

Completing those missions has nothing to do if crew are 2 or 3 skill ... in order to 3* all missions you need to have crew with the correct trait and skill combo to unlock certain nodes.
    e.g. In order to 3* Rabid Fans you need a crew with SEC and Investigator ... I managed it with a 1/4 Tommy Gun Dixon (3 skills, 4*), but these days you can do so easily with Thrax (3 skills, 5*). The Big Book specifically mentions this node and even states that TG Dixon's value has dropped significantly because we all got a "free" Thrax and TG Dixon's stats are fairly poor.

I've been able to 3* every single mission with only the mega-event 5*s at either 4/5 or 5/5, my other 5* crew at 1/5 and a number of 4*s at various fuse levels for specific nodes.

The Big Book focuses on voyages because they are an integral part to the game and you are probably sending one or two out a day to bring back resources you need to level your crew. Events are held every weekend and require a myriad of diverse crew to succeed in. Unlocking a node is done once and then you never need to pass that node again because you can warp a mission. I know where I'd focus my crew section criteria.

Three-plus years on, I still have nodes uncleared. Once I got all the ones needed to farm almost all the regularly-used equipment, I just didn't see the need to get them all 100% done. I've done a few here and there since when I haven't had anything else better to do, but being that kind of completionist doesn't hold that much appeal to me for its own sake.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zhian'tara Odo
    Further note on mega event crew making nodes passable. I seem to recall rinsing through a lot of uncompleted missions using Cornwell, Mirror Picard, Bell Riots Bashir and Surak. I probably also used Guinan to an extent as well but again she left the gauntlet and I cited her up (and she is three skill crew).

The only 2 skill crew I think that was necessary at the time might have been niners Rom.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I've cleared all missions at 3 star. Also, I DO happen to think a tertiary stat is useful because it allows the character to take a spot on a voyage.

Going with Odo, thank you all.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The full scale of value in the card from the assigned stat numbers is split between 2 skills not 3. Usually the 3rd skill is useless and just taking stats away from from the others skills.

This is not correct. Of the top 5 bases in each skill (30 total), 24 of them (80%) are 3-skill crew. Of the top 5 max rolls for clearing story nodes (base + max proficiency) in each skill (30 total), 20 of them (67%) are 3-skill crew.
    the big book recommendations are sorely skewed. It has alot to do with event bonus usage and 3 trait voyage crew, less to do with all around value.

I disagree that events which comprise 57% of the week and voyages which are 100% of the week make crew less well-rounded than a one time node unlock.
    Many ppl who go by this as an absolute can not clear there galaxy map.

On what are you basing this claim? There are 17 crew notes which mention story node unlocks.
    I would take the book ratings as a suggestion

I agree with you on this. It's been in the intro of that document since its inception.
    gjnxhlomnqdh.png

for certain aspects of the game but not every aspect.

I'm sure the current curator of the document, [ISA] Big McLargeHuge , would be glad to hear feedback about areas that you feel were overlooked during crew evaluation.

When I worked on the Big Book, I considered as many aspects of the game as I could including, but not limited to; Base - raw power, percentage difference from surrounding crew, competition among variants, skills uncommon to variants (Durango's SEC, Survivalist Kirk's ENG/SCI, etc.), competition among trait-holders (mega consideration), value of the skill (there's a Faction seating breakdown at the bottom of the doc) which looks at things like shuttle seat availability and how populous the top end base landscape is for each skill (value over replacement), how common and/or valuable the primary/secondary pair is, etc. Base competition from mega event crew; how they stack up for non-bonus work both for the reader's roster and as competition from other players for non-bonus work.

For voyages there's raw total, competition/options for primary skill and skill set permutations, rankings of similar/identical skill sets (e.g. SEC/SCI has much of its representation tied up in weaker voyage crew), voyage primary and pri/sec totals (2-skill sum) for featured skill stacking, high tertiaries if it adds value (e.g. Borg Queen's above average ENG), skill set rarity and rate of additions to the skill set, competition from previous megas (particularly MED/DIP and SEC/DIP+CMD), the bell curve of voyage total drop off at top and bottom, traits common for voyage AM.

In the arena, considerations include passive stats (25 notes) and how they synergize with the ability, ability, initialization time and number of options at each init time, duration, availability of similar abilities, current arena and Skirmish meta, frequency of ability matching with boost type (Kurn's rare-ish Acc/instant damage at <8 seconds) and skill seat (Mirror Phlox's rare MED/instant damage), triggers (no position available on dabo-able ships), handicaps, etc.

For gauntlet, I look at raw proficiency total and how it's distributed among skills (e.g. Fennim is in the top 30 total, but is distributed too flatly to pick up a powerful pair), number and strength of ranked pairs (% of max) for common walls and/or options below the regulars, traits, their frequency, and trait set frequency (Drone Seven only has three traits, but a 65% trait set), big single rolls for picking up 1-for-2s, pairs which match up favorably against or are dwarfed by gauntlet regulars (e.g. DIP/ENG vs The Caretaker), min/max proficiency (e.g. Defensive Phlox), portal status for crew who will be significantly affected by future additions.

General and niche attributes such as collections (Stat-boosting > vanity) and their ease of completion, node unlocks (# of crew who can and how common they are), build cost (both expensive components like Cyrus Redblock and high Faction item requirement like Proton), event feature count (10x Galaxy crafting power for features) and their likelihood of a re-run as well as which crew they were featured alongside (e.g. TA7 may help you win a da Vinci in her re-run), events (I don't know of any other public resource with individual event counts), their overall count and pacing including event bonus droughts, trait potential for events (tracking done here) with consideration for both previous occurrences and future chances such as the mega survey or future Disco megas (guess work involved here).

If you believe that important aspects of the game are not being considered in the doc, then please pm the current author so that it can be the best resource it can be.

---

Apologies for the tangent in your thread, OP. I think Z'Odo was a good choice. Newer crew are coming close to his DIP, but it's hard to replicate his event chances. I wouldn't recommend spending honor on One at any point - Borg event chances have been erratic and we've just had a few superior ENG/SEC options for voyages from events. If you have a hole there, I hope you were able to snag La Forge or Torres; they offer much more utility and power even from low star counts.