Home Strange New Worlds

Q's reasoning for making Riker a Q

A recent thought about "Riker Q" and the revelation of the Q's part in the space/time continuum (at least in Timelines)...

Could one of the motivations behind the Q making Riker a Q have been to essentially make replacements, so they could leave safely and basically have someone else take their place?
"If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like the biggest reason was to piss off Picard. Q knows Picard cannot be tempted so Q goes after Riker.
    Let’s fly!
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    Possibly to extend that further, could that also extend to the whole "judgement of humankind"? Again, the hidden motivation being judging the species as a future replacement?
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Possibly. But I think nearly all of Q's motivations in any of the crazy stuff he's done (and I'm speaking of Q, not the Q Continuum) all basically boil down to one thing: trying to relieve a crushing sense of boredom.

While I don't disagree with the boredom part, I'm just proposing a hidden motivation that basically only works in the context of Timelines.
    My question is did God Q ever exist? Did Q really come to Picard and offer him a chance to change his life or did Picard just dream the whole thing?
    Let’s fly!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is did God Q ever exist? Did Q really come to Picard and offer him a chance to change his life or did Picard just dream the whole thing?

This sound like my Philosophy 101 class. Some interesting discussions, but a very biased teacher. Granted that everyone has bias, but a few people (my teacher being a poster child) are too biased to realize they have a bias. I hated that class. I had a political science class with an extremely biased teacher, too, but he knew he was biased and allowed for free sharing of ideas with no recriminations, even when he thought (and said) they were bad. I liked that class.

I digress.

To the question: Does it matter? Picard learned a lesson either way. The real Q could have done that. Or Picard's subconscious could have used Q as a way to rationalize what was going on. Either case shows that the ends nullify the means.

This sound like my Philosophy 101 class. Some interesting discussions, but a very biased teacher. Granted that everyone has bias, but a few people (my teacher being a poster child) are too biased to realize they have a bias. I hated that class. I had a political science class with an extremely biased teacher, too, but he knew he was biased and allowed for free sharing of ideas with no recriminations, even when he thought (and said) they were bad. I liked that class.

I digress.

To the question: Does it matter? Picard learned a lesson either way. The real Q could have done that. Or Picard's subconscious could have used Q as a way to rationalize what was going on. Either case shows that the ends nullify the means.

I would say it does matter if the point was learning a lesson. If it did not happen then there was no lesson. He did not learn what his life would have been like if he had played it safer. But if the point was not learning a lesson but being content then whether it was real or not does not matter, Picard was content at the end of the episode.
    Let’s fly!
    Just for the sake of friendly argument (as I have no desire for a real.arguement and in the end this means absolutely nothing to me other than something to do while on a business trip hundreds of miles from hime), I can't see why it matters. The kids enjoy their Christmas stockings whether they are truly from Santa or from Mom and Dad. If it was a real experience from Q or a way for his subconscious to deal with trauma, it still taught a lesson.

While I don't think the question matters, I believe it was a true interaction with Q. (As true as a fictional story can get, anyway.)

The problem is that as a serial, TNG never actually explored long-term effects of what the crew experienced. So I suppose that if the question of Q's involvement really plagued Picard, it could matter. But if it did mess with Picard's mind and did matter, that would be because he allowed it to matter. It does not have to matter.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    I have only one question. Why does God need a medkit? Just curious.

For the same reason he needs a starship. ;)

Because it is an eccentric way to transport oxygen atoms?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    With skills that good, i'll get Q as "God" anything he says he needs!
    NivenFres wrote: »
    A recent thought about "Riker Q" and the revelation of the Q's part in the space/time continuum (at least in Timelines)...

Could one of the motivations behind the Q making Riker a Q have been to essentially make replacements, so they could leave safely and basically have someone else take their place?

Within the confines of the game, I like this idea. It makes a lot of sense why he was put in part 1 of this mega based on what we learned in chapter 10. Either that, or maybe The Continuum is looking for reinforcements?
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »

For the same reason he needs a starship. ;)

Because it is an eccentric way to transport oxygen atoms?

Actually, I believe the answer is lightning from eyeballs, though something is definitely lost in translation.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)

"Why does God need a starship?"

A good question. This is not God, but Q playing dress-up. Picard points this out in the episode. Q is not God. God does not need a med kit. God does not need a starship. I suppose it right to point out that God could use a med kit should He desire, but He does not need one.

(In fairness, I don't suppose Q needs one, either. Maybe this all really was a dream. But as Spock points out, Life is not a dream. So perhaps we are back to philosophy.)
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the sake of friendly argument (as I have no desire for a real.arguement and in the end this means absolutely nothing to me other than something to do while on a business trip hundreds of miles from hime), I can't see why it matters. The kids enjoy their Christmas stockings whether they are truly from Santa or from Mom and Dad. If it was a real experience from Q or a way for his subconscious to deal with trauma, it still taught a lesson.

While I don't think the question matters, I believe it was a true interaction with Q. (As true as a fictional story can get, anyway.)

The problem is that as a serial, TNG never actually explored long-term effects of what the crew experienced. So I suppose that if the question of Q's involvement really plagued Picard, it could matter. But if it did mess with Picard's mind and did matter, that would be because he allowed it to matter. It does not have to matter.

I do not disagree.
    As a young fan of TNG, I was conflicted with the Q plot. It just didnt fit, but in retrospective, it never concluded.

Part of me feels this was an unfortunate loss of an idea Gene Roddenbery initally had but was lost because it was not passed down to his successors.

Q was an amazing story element, which ended up being glorified comic relief.
    He introduced the crew (and us the audience) to the fracking BORG!

As I rewatch TOS, and the otherworldly puzzles Kirk, Spock and McCoy had to solve in episodic form, I wonder what a missed opportunity Q provided in a serial form?
    What else could have come from such an imaginative construct?
    Intentionally Left Blank