Home Ready Room

Advice needed

SpaceKatSpaceKat ✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Ready Room
I don’t have many legendary crew yet. I rely heavily on immortalized (or close) Super Rares. I just got an extra (5th star) Section 31 Georgiou and Prof Scott. Are either of them good enough to start working on a duplicate? Should I just dismiss the extras?

On an unrelated note, why is Commander Uhura so terrible? I really liked this crew member and was anxious to immortalize her, but once I started getting close, it was obvious her stats were not going to measure up. 😿😿😿

Comments

• MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geogiou is very good, Scott is not. See http://doroexplo.com.

I asked the same question a while ago here, and got various answers from "never" over "only main cast" to "only ones with extraordinary stats". If at all I would recommend duplicates of main crew with a chance to more often help in faction events.

I personally airlock all duplicates but I have incredibly lots of crew to work on so dupes were like my 200th priority. Maybe I will at some point start duplicates of really good main cast when all my crew is FE and I am starting to get bored.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Georgiou's first skill is SEC, so by the time you will have immortalized her second copy, you will probably have legendaries with a better base and/or proficiency than hers. But if you have lots of space, by all means, keep her. You never know if there will be a Georgiou event soon where she could actually be useful.

When I still had a crew mainly made of 4*, I did dupe a couple of them, but their first skill was MED and SCI, where I had no decent legendaries. If you were already playing STT during the Thrax and Kol megas, you probably won't need a second copy of Georgiou anyway (she might be useful now, but by the time she will be immortal, you will probably have lots of crew that are about as good as her or better).

And yes, I can't think of any reason to dupe Prof Scott, but maybe check his wiki page to be sure (https://stt.wiki/wiki/Professor_Scott).

• Also, since you mentioned the disappointment about Uhura's stats, the wiki can help you a lot when deciding who to keep and who to level first. You can see what their stats will be when they're immortal or FE.
  • While the wiki is definitely helpful, I'd also recommend checking out the "lvl 100 stats" spreadsheet for crew ranks in voyages and shuttles. This is a much quicker reference to compare where Uhura ranks compared to other crew in stats for both shuttles and voyages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zrObDH5UtTOfSm37pdMVmm7hwr2u6kMDgdWZpwfjON8/edit#gid=1942976

There's nothing wrong with collecting a crew you really like of course, that's part of the game. Unfortunately you're right though, Uhura is among the weakest crew to collect (even most of her variants are not very strong).

As for duplicate crew, the best way to be competitive in events is to have variants and the actual event crew. You need to collect a lot of SR for that. If you've got spare slots sure that's fine sec31 georgiou is a very strong crew but IMO it's more important to collect the majority of variants of all main cast crew so you can fill lots of shuttle seats in faction events, or have the primary event crew for the other event types.

hope that helps.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I love Professor Scott, take the 200 honor there. Scotty events are sadly pretty rare, and I doubt it is worth saving a slot for a second copy.

Georgiou is a rather good 4* crew but unless you are doing well on crew slots, I don’t know that she’d be of much help on a daily basis or even in events without additional stars. If you have slots to spare, it wouldn’t hurt to keep her around at level 1 for a while to see how RNG treats you. With luck, you will get some good 5* crew instead.
  • While the wiki is definitely helpful, I'd also recommend checking out the "lvl 100 stats" spreadsheet for crew ranks in voyages and shuttles. This is a much quicker reference to compare where Uhura ranks compared to other crew in stats for both shuttles and voyages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zrObDH5UtTOfSm37pdMVmm7hwr2u6kMDgdWZpwfjON8/edit#gid=1942976

There's nothing wrong with collecting a crew you really like of course, that's part of the game. Unfortunately you're right though, Uhura is among the weakest crew to collect (even most of her variants are not very strong).

As for duplicate crew, the best way to be competitive in events is to have variants and the actual event crew. You need to collect a lot of SR for that. If you've got spare slots sure that's fine sec31 georgiou is a very strong crew but IMO it's more important to collect the majority of variants of all main cast crew so you can fill lots of shuttle seats in faction events, or have the primary event crew for the other event types.

hope that helps.

This is very useful too (it's actually one of the most useful resources) especially for voyages, but for players who still mostly rely on 4* the wiki has the advantage of showing their unfused or partially fused base skills, which is very helpful when it comes to critting rare rewards in away missions.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm one of those "never keep dupes" people ... but let me break my thoughts down:

- If you are just starting out then resources are quite scarce ... putting those resources into a second (probably 1/4 or 2/4) copy of crew you already own means you are not putting them into crew that you have and that might provide a better benefit in the future ... this could be from immortalising all 1-2-3* crew for collections and immortalisation rewards to levelling up crew that you get while playing an event (through thresholds or community rewards).

While Section 31 Georgiou and that Scott look appealing they will be outclassed by other crew you pick up sooner (Scott) or later (Georgiou - she's quite decent but pales in comparison to some the mega-event 5*s we recently obtained (Thrax, Kol)).

Yes, you want to have a broad crew base, but ... the way I see things ... the breadth can be provided by unique 3/4 and 1/5 crew in the beginning.

Furthermore, each duplicate 4* crew is worth 200 Honor ... and while that doesn't seem like much, it does add up ... you can use that honor to boost crew that do matter by buying 5* citations.

- If you have been playing for a very long time then duplicate crew are just not worth it anymore ... at the moment I can just get by through slowly levelling the last 3 crew I have left to level and so meet daily targets ... we get dripped new crew through events and I get lucky in beholds at times to not have the need to level a duplicate crew yet to meet daily targets, but I can imagine that day might occur in the future.

All I care about at the moment is getting Honor ... so any duplicate that comes my way is instantly airlocked, they can be of much more use as a citation to strengthen my overal crew like that.
  • Thanks, everyone, for all the advice. It’s been very helpful and appreciated.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have duplicated several 4*s...including S31 Georgeau. They only really pay off during the right faction events. I also have Mirror Jadzia and Robin Hood doubled; they both outperfrom Georgeau and have more events.

We will start a new mega event soon and you will have the oppurtunity to start your 5* collection with a relatively easy to obtain 4/5 over the course of the event.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I accidentally duplicated a couple of crew. I have saved enough dilithium from monthly cards and campaigns that I have purchased lots of crew slots. I currently have 18 unfilled slots and only 2 or 3 missing (but in portal) purple crew. Since that is the case, I have immortalized duplicates of three or four other main crew with good stats and event possibilities. Most of my duplicate possibilities go straight to honor.

For new people, I suggest holding back for a bit while immortalizing all the 2 and 3 star cards. Get them out of the way and then focus on portal pulls and other cards. And save all dilithium for crew slot sales. Crew slots give peace of mind and freedom to collect and save cards that may not be fully fusible for a while.
  • SpaceKatSpaceKat ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    One of my biggest problems is that my immortalized 4* crew have a hard time succeeding in my honored faction missions, even with boosts. Events with shuttle mission components are worse. The difficulty ramps up so fast, my crew fails almost half their missions. Last event I made it to 4188th. With better crew I’d be able to pull in all of the threshold rewards and better rank rewards.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpaceKat wrote: »
    One of my biggest problems is that my immortalized 4* crew have a hard time succeeding in my honored faction missions, even with boosts. Events with shuttle mission components are worse. The difficulty ramps up so fast, my crew fails almost half their missions. Last event I made it to 4188th. With better crew I’d be able to pull in all of the threshold rewards and better rank rewards.

1. Don't use shuttle boosts outside of events. - Normally the shuttle difficulty will top out at a certain time and the success rate will be around 66% no matter how great the crew is who you put on that shuttle. It is therefore a waste to use boosts, because you'll just hit the limit faster and your crew will not improve at the same rate, so you'll not be able to keep up the high success (as you are experiencing) ... being Honored with a Faction has no bearing on how difficult shuttles are.

What this means is that for daily shuttles your 3/4s are just as good as your 4/4s at a certain point when you reach the difficulty limit ... so, you can basically freeze up your immortal crew and open up space on your roster for new crew through events, portal pulls, voyages etc.
    Why you want to keep a handful of good immortalised 4* crew around is for voyages (e.g. Mintakan Troi, the new Kirk, Combat Medic Paris) ... any mediocre voyage crew can be frozen (e.g. Prof Scott) and lean on your 1+/5s and 3/4s for shuttles for the time being.

2. Patience. - Faction (shuttle) events, or Faction parts of hybrid events, are the most difficult events for players who are new to midling ... this is because time is needed to build up a solid base of crew ... focus on Galaxy/Skirmish events to get new crew in and just try your best in Faction events without using up too many resources ... save, save, save those for the time that you can get better results and then start using those 3* boosts to get into the top 1000 in Faction events.

Last weekend had a Galaxy component and newish players can do really well if they put all their focus on that part of the event ... you should be able to make the old thresholds (130k VP) to get all the crew in. The threshold rewards after that are not super essential for newish players.
    This week is Skirmish ... without a doubt you should be able to make the full 400k VP threshold reward.