Home The Holodeck

Tips and Tricks for posting on the forum

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in The Holodeck
I did a search for "text format" in the forum and got nothing. Does anyone have a link to formatting text on the forum that they can post here? Or maybe a list of examples?

Through experimentation, I learned that I can hit the bold format, them change the B's to U's to get an underline. I don't know how to do color, strike through, bullets, or lists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And feel free to put keywords in you replies that other players might search.

In addition, I've seen players add colors to their captain names in the game. I looked that one up and tried it, but it didn't work. If that can also be shared here, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance!
Farewell 🖖

Comments

• VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    The strike-through button should be next to the bold and italic buttons. Buttons for lists etc. are next to them.

In general, they use BBCode for formatting, docs and examples can be found here
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @vesmer , that is a very useful link! :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    No problem :)
  • How does this work in-game? When I try typing bbcode in my captain name, the game asks me to use a maximum of 30 characters.
    edited August 2019
    I don't know how this works in-game yet, but I felt like creating a post of some of the formats. Probably the easiest way to see it is to quote this post and see how it's formatted.

Bold
    Italics
    Bold and italics
    Underline
    Strike through

url (for this thread)
    Spoiler

Red, blue, etc.

Left
    Center
    Right

Unordered list:
    • Item 1
    • Item 2

Hopefully it's a good resource to get folks started.
    Farewell 🖖
    @Mirror Sanoa , I could not get your picture for signature settings to upload here. Would you mind re-posting it? I like to have that kind of stuff in one place. :)

@Roxton , this is some other stuff which you may find useful. (See above.)
    Farewell 🖖
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we go:

n5qevyxdeuuz.jpeg
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
    While I'm at it, this is how you send a private message on the forum. It took me over a year to figure it out. Just in case people search the terms direct message or personal message, I'll add those terms as well. Hope this helps. :)

ci0ozi52jyc4.png

Terms of service state that you should not publicly post the contents of private messages or e-mails. Text is blocked out to keep this legit. Hopefully those whom I've messaged do not mind it being public information that correspondence exists.
    Farewell 🖖
    Thank you, @Mirror Sanoa !!
    Farewell 🖖
  • RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
    Many thanks all.
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bromance is real <3

pnxcuhgc41qm.jpg
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
    The bromance is real <3

pnxcuhgc41qm.jpg

I almost covered that up too, but decided to leave it as an Easter egg. Now you know. :D
    Farewell 🖖
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of BBCode that doesn't work in these forums, alas. It'd be cool to create a list of what worked, what didn't, etc. But I'm too lazy. :D

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    @Prime Lorca [10FH] , I dug through a bunch of stuff & found a couple of things that might help.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/hexadecimal-color-names.html

Some codes don’t work, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, @eXo | SilverRose helped me out with this syntax a few months ago, e.g.:

<color=#9370DB>text</color>

I can only get one color into a squadron name, due to the character limit. The Message of the Day is longer & thus easier to fit multiple colors into.

I hope that I helped someone. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    How to tag someone with a space in their forum name: use the arroba (at symbol) followed by a quotation mark, then start typing the name.

Example: <arroba>"(A) Traveling Man" will show up as @(A) Traveling Man

Tagging @~peregrine~ since he mentioned this in another thread.
    Farewell 🖖
    edited September 2020
    How to change your user name
    (In case you don't want to be Guest_######## anymore)

Go into your profile.
    On PC, you click your user name at the top.
    On mobile, use the hamburger menu at top left and select Profile.

At the top, there is a message about updating your profile. Click/tap that link.

Sign into your account.

At the left, there should be a button that says "Account". Click/tap that if you're not already there.

Change your user name.

You will have to log out, then log back in for the change to take effect.
    Farewell 🖖
    Logging out and logging back in has been known to solve the issue where you cannot start your own thread. If you have been a member of the forum for a while and still cannot start your own thread, you may want to try logging out and logging back in.

If you are having any other forum issues, you may wish to try logging out and back in as a troubleshooting step.
    Farewell 🖖
  • I'm sorry for jumping on your thread - but it's the most fitting I've found and ... well, that's the issue. I can't open threads on my own. And that's what I'm jumping on your thread for. To ask: Is this a 'you have to have X awesomes/replies/... before you can create a thread' thingie? If so, what are the requirements?

Sorry again to Prime Lorca and thank you all for your time.
  • Taaya, you need to have 2 stars to start a thread. you can get them by posting in other threads or go to the engineering room and post something in the engineering room thread
    Cannot create a thread yet but have an issue? Please post here :)
  • Hello, I was wondering how you create a new topic?