Home The Bridge

Kai Winn

ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there a free way to get a fifth one of her or do we have to cite her to make her useful?

(Not complaining that we got her, the artwork is great, I just expected as she was a FREE gift that they'd make sure we could get all that we needed in game)

Comments

• Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can wait until she is in the portal in 12-18 months then CR her!

Joking aside… no. Historically giveaway crew are 4/5 after you earn all their available copies.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. I get that when a new collection comes out that that's the moment when I get loads of goodies because I have so many completed crew.

But, these 4/5 giveaways feel like a -1 crew slot giveaway. It's not that Kai is Winn is bad, but there are just better targets for me to use my citations on. Would it have killed them to make sure we can get 5? Then she's actually very occasionally useful. Now I kinda feel bad for having wasted my time with those 150 gauntlets.

When I came back I saw that there was a Chef Pike thing and he was way worse, I just assumed I'd missed out on the chance to get the remaining free copies somewhere. These are the moments where I feel that they don't play the game, because they don't seem to understand how we the players value the cards.

Again, this is more feedback than a complaint, I really do like the art, it would be nice if she was occasionally useful for something.
    In my memory there’s never been an instance where you can earn four copies of a crew (mega events, temporary achievements, endurance events, campaigns) where the fifth star is also able to be earned. You generally have to cite or perhaps pull recaps for the fifth. If you truly feel she’s not worth much, earn 4 copies and then airlock them for 2200 honor. After all, by your own admission you have better cite candidates.

But consider reading up on her on bigbook.app, or visit one of the Discord servers to discuss her merits. You’ll likely find many elderly players have chosen to cite her.

https://www.bigbook.app/crew/winn_kai_crew
    Before my time, and if I have heard the stories correctly that was due to some sort of error.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Dragen wrote: »
    well, there was mirror Picard…

Yeah, Picard-Gate was due to a mistake. Otherwise, it’s always been 4/5.

If I am remembering correctly, in that instance many players had used a citation to take Mirror Picard to 5/5, and then for some reason DB sent out a 1/5 Mirror Picard to some players (as compensation for something?). And then it ended up being corrected for all players, I think.

I’m sure the thread is still on the Forums somewhere if you search Mirror Picard.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
    Well, in campaigns you do earn the citation, and in megaevents they have (or used to have) the substantially discounted megaevent packs. And neither of those were called 'giveaways'.

If the intent was to give us a crew that we'd all use, then 5 is a more appropriate number (though of course they can't do it now, they'd have Picardgate all over again.)

Anyway, it's just a thought. I'm not unhappy, just disappointed.

In my memory there’s never been an instance where you can earn four copies of a crew (mega events, temporary achievements, endurance events, campaigns) where the fifth star is also able to be earned. You generally have to cite or perhaps pull recaps for the fifth. If you truly feel she’s not worth much, earn 4 copies and then airlock them for 2200 honor. After all, by your own admission you have better cite candidates.

But consider reading up on her on bigbook.app, or visit one of the Discord servers to discuss her merits. You’ll likely find many elderly players have chosen to cite her.

https://www.bigbook.app/crew/winn_kai_crew

I've been away a while. Even the big book only rates her at #74 overall and she shares the same stats with several big hitters I already have. I'll be using the citations I have on much better characters (or someone I love who turns up unexpectedly).
    The intent is still to give players a crew most of them would use, if I’m not mistaken. The devs just make you take the final step to make them them most useful. I bet a lot of early game and mid game players would still enjoy a 4/5 with Kai Winn’s power.
  • Thurthorad wrote: »
    Well, in campaigns you do earn the citation, and in megaevents they have (or used to have) the substantially discounted megaevent packs. And neither of those were called 'giveaways'.

If the intent was to give us a crew that we'd all use, then 5 is a more appropriate number (though of course they can't do it now, they'd have Picardgate all over again.)

Anyway, it's just a thought. I'm not unhappy, just disappointed.

Campaigns (premium & 3rd track) & Recap packs are not free - they are paid for. So any "loot" is paid for. So the cite or recap pull that gets you the 5th * on a legendary was never free.

Same goes for the OE / special occasion 5* giveaways, you earn 4 copies by play and the 5th you spend for - in what ever manner you deem fit.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always 4/5 to encourage people to buy DYC, or spend honor citing her up.

The whole purpose of the give away is to sell a few DYC.
  • Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Is there a free way to get a fifth one of her or do we have to cite her to make her useful?

(Not complaining that we got her, the artwork is great, I just expected as she was a FREE gift that they'd make sure we could get all that we needed in game)

Stop acting like a Solbor :D
    Thurthorad wrote: »

Stop acting like a Solbor :D

Honestly, that's not the intent. I have always had an issue with them even creating crew that you wouldn't want to cite the week they came out. For years before I left I was arguing for more power creep. It infuriated me that a crew would come out (Raffi Musiker comes to mind) and they would never be worth citing. Because, if they weren't worth citing the week they came out, they'd never be worth it and then they'd never actually see any play.

Having gone away and come back the game is way more fun for me because I now have a ton of better crew to collect, so it's again just bothersome when they essentially give away junk. Especially when the art on the card is so good. I want to play with her, but even if I cite her that would be a rarity.

Maybe I'm just not really into the collecting aspect of the game. I want be excited to see new crew and excited to play with them for a year and for them to 'rotate out' into the freezer as they inevitably get replaced by the new hotness over time.

I am not thankless. As I said right off the top, for me and other players in my position, when a new collection comes out it's cha-ching! But the feedback I am trying to give to them is that if they want to have a giveaway that has value to all players, have the free one in the Time Portal be the 5th one. Then no matter who it is it'll have more significant value for everyone.
    You: I’m not into collecting.

Also You: I like COLLECTIONS.
    You: I’m not into collecting.

Also You: I like COLLECTIONS.

Who me?

No, I want useful characters to play the game. There is a mechanic for frozen crew who are no longer of use, which is great. But it's an aside, well at least for me. What I want is for characters to come out, be playable and useful and then get retired in time to the place where they give a tiny passive bonus (which is what collections are from an individual character basis). The occasional windfall from having played the game for years and spent some money is also appreciated. Genuinely.

You guys are all so cynical. You totally see the giveaway as a marketing ploy without batting an eye. I am presuming that they want to actually do a giveaway as an occasional thank you and that's what my original comment was for. You guys may be right, maybe these giveaways are cynical, but I am hoping that they are not and that useful feedback will be appreciated.
  • They have never given away a 5/5. It’s always been 4/5. As nice as fully fused would be, it’s not expected of them to give us anything at all, so i’m just happy with what we get :wink:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • They have never given away a 5/5. It’s always been 4/5. As nice as fully fused would be, it’s not expected of them to give us anything at all, so i’m just happy with what we get :wink:

It also helps out the starting players a lot, even if they have the card at 4/5 for a while.
  • Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    It's always 4/5 to encourage people to buy DYC, or spend honor citing her up.

The whole purpose of the give away is to sell a few DYC.

It's cheaper & more beneficial to get the next level of campaign though.
    Although that totally depends on your level & how easy it will be to level up the crew