Home The Bridge

Was this just a bad event, or is the ST community losing interest in the game?

Admiral HessAdmiral Hess ✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in The Bridge
I've been playing for a few years now, and in pretty much every event. Some I played to "130K" just to get the crew, others I battled to the bitter end. In every event that had a community reward, I could count on the two copies of of various 4-stars and a free 10-pack pull coming my way.

But today is a first for me. It's 09:00 NY time, we have about 3 hours left of the event - and community total points is just about 817 million - 183 mil short of hitting the goal for that 10-pack. With the exception of "Captain Angel", all the other crew are "old", and many of us long-time players may already have them. I didn't play far in the game, as it wasn't worth the investment to get copies of crew I already have iced.

It could be that this was the general feeling across the ST community - it just wasn't an event worth the effort for most, but if next week's event has some new crew, it will pick up again.

Or is this the foreshadowing of things to come? With the layoffs at WRG and the perpetual list of little things that need to be addressed but never are, is interest fading in this game? Is it reaching its "All Good Things" episode?

I hope not. I'm an old Trekkie, was around when Trek first hit the air in 1966. I was a little tyke then, but watching that show made my imagination soar - I loved math and science, and wanted to be an astronaut. It finished in 1969, but then later that year we landed on the moon, and to me, this was the future. I know now that Trek is all production and scripts and actors, but the ideas they presented with the endless possibilities of space flight made me wanted to be part of that future.

I could wax on about it for hours, but my point is this: WRG, you have a base here that will follow you a long time, but you have to give them a reason to stay. Listen to the community, fix some bugs and add a few small QOL features. I don't mind spending the $32 or so a month for the monthly dilithium and full campaign track - it's worth the investment, and you folks ain't working for free. My guess is that a lot of other users feel the same way.

I hope I'm wrong- that this weekend was only an aberration, and nothing more.

Comments

• On the one hand, the rate does tend to go up enormously once US based players are active, even apart from the last minute hand in factor. On the other, non-US players may mistime their last minute handing in because of the recent time zone change, and so we may be deprived of their VP from that towards the community goal. I think it's really hard to guess which way this will end up going.

(I mostly want my Nightmare Mode account, which cannot afford a crew slot for Angel, to get knocked out of the top 1500. I wanted plenty of Burnham stars to finish her off and free up a slot, but overshot by a lot on the amount of VP I would need to accumulate in the skirmish phase...)
  • Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely no interest in this event whatsoever

have all characters immortalized, save my chrons for next week. And I imagine many people are doing the same

so it was a saving grace that I had no access to the internet this event & not another
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an event? :p
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Not much interest after the skirmish phase ended. I participated on a minimal level (as in doing the missions to complete my daily rewards) thinking we’d get all of the community rewards. The Spock card offered at the top of the player reward isn’t that great IMO (when compared to my crew anyway) so I’ll probably airlock it for honor. I’m really not interested in another 1/5 card that’s going to take up a slot when I have so many of them at this point.
  • imdwalrusimdwalrus ✭✭✭
    1. Repeat event.
    2. Skirmish first part.
    3. First place has a commanding lead, players will not catch up.

Also worth noting is that the player base has dropped a lot over the past few years.

Also, a skirmish next week. Why dump all the chrons into Galaxy?

As far as I'm concerned this is a consequence of the past few months having (with occasional faction events) non-stop galaxy events. The game just doesn't give enough chrons for that, so at some point you either need to (1) sit out a week or (2) buy chrons, and I'm not ever going to do 2.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    1. Repeat event.
    2. Skirmish first part.

Also worth noting is that the player base has dropped a lot over the past few years.

+87 to all three numbered points. I'm only surprised because I thought people would be pushing a little harder for someone I thought was an interesting new protagonist in a really good series. One I refuse to believe is absolutely a "one-and-done". I doubt we have seen the last of Captain Angel.

In the final two hours I went from 690s to 702. I was surprised I didn't drop down to one copy.

EDIT: Misremembered. Finished 703, not 702.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • imdwalrusimdwalrus ✭✭✭
    I'm only surprised because I thought people would be pushing a little harder for someone I thought was an interesting new protagonist in a really good series. One I refuse to believe is absolutely a "one-and-done". I doubt we have seen the last of Captain Angel.

There's no way that was a one-off. A strong guest performance in an episode people seemed to like plus that tease at the end of Angel's ties to a certain legacy character I won't name to avoid spoilers? We're absolutely going to see Angel again.
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    imdwalrus wrote: »
    1. Repeat event.
    2. Skirmish first part.

Also, a skirmish next week. Why dump all the chrons into Galaxy?

As far as I'm concerned this is a consequence of the past few months having (with occasional faction events) non-stop galaxy events. The game just doesn't give enough chrons for that, so at some point you either need to (1) sit out a week or (2) buy chrons, and I'm not ever going to do 2.

As long as I have the credits, I'd rather use my chrons getting extra retrievals through the mid-week events.
    imdwalrus wrote: »
    I'm only surprised because I thought people would be pushing a little harder for someone I thought was an interesting new protagonist in a really good series. One I refuse to believe is absolutely a "one-and-done". I doubt we have seen the last of Captain Angel.

There's no way that was a one-off. A strong guest performance in an episode people seemed to like plus that tease at the end of Angel's ties to a certain legacy character I won't name to avoid spoilers? We're absolutely going to see Angel again.

I totally forgot the surprise reveal. As you say, even more evidence they are likely to be a recurring character!
    My only sadness is we did not get the iconic "I took your ship" pose, since Captain Angel literally did it.....

79c0n3dvwtvw.png
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @imdwalrus wrote, the next event is a skirmish.

I didn't care much about the 5* reward so I stopped at 400K, but I would have played hard if there was a faction next week or even a galaxy event. But I didn't need the gold crew for a skirmish and so didn't play hard. I imagine there were a lot who felt the same way and knocked out the 400K in the first two days and didn't bother past that. That had been my plan, but stuff came up and I did most of my points on the galaxy side. But if I had wanted the gold, I would have played twice as much.
  • Skirmishes give something back for the time and when you're not interested in the 5 star, I didn't do one build in the galaxy.
    This game has got complicated for resources now with the OE retrieval.
    Plus like most of us I'm exhausted with galaxy events, building stock, using it then saving chronos to replace in the OE or Skirmishes.
    Simple answer is we need a brand new type of event, the doesnt want our resources please
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Maybe if they had the correct ships in the event? :o Too soon? ;)

It's hard to care about a throw-away event, let alone invest time into it, when the game owners clearly didn't care about it enough to fix the error... or at least communicate with players in-game to acknowledge it!
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Traditionally, when it’s a hybrid event with a skirmish in the first half, the second half, no matter what it is, is not competitive. The last one was a skirmish/faction event (I think it was the one with Julius Eaton as the ranked reward, so leading into a rerun) and the ranks hardly moved during the faction second half. I stopped sending shuttles and barely moved in rank.

Seeing as we just came out of a Mega, one that had a lot of people really competing (I know I did), people need a rest and recovery period. Coupled with a smaller player base, things just came up short. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did 80% of my points during the Skirmish. if others were like me, then they didn’t really do much in the galaxy portion.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
    As @imdwalrus wrote, the next event is a skirmish.

I didn't care much about the 5* reward so I stopped at 400K, but I would have played hard if there was a faction next week or even a galaxy event. But I didn't need the gold crew for a skirmish and so didn't play hard. I imagine there were a lot who felt the same way and knocked out the 400K in the first two days and didn't bother past that. That had been my plan, but stuff came up and I did most of my points on the galaxy side. But if I had wanted the gold, I would have played twice as much.

I only pushed hard because I do find the Captain to be an interesting new antagonist. {I may have actually accidentally typed "protagonist" in a previous post.} And a big part for me was how intriguingly the actor portrayed the character.
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Maybe if they had the correct ships in the event? :o Too soon? ;)

It's hard to care about a throw-away event, let alone invest time into it, when the game owners clearly didn't care about it enough to fix the error... or at least communicate with players in-game to acknowledge it!

I said in the Event thread it was a better choice to let the Event run. If they had tried to do a "hot fix" it could have potentially caused an issue that might have adversely affected the Event. Maybe even caused potential downtime for the Event. And that would have upset a lot of players. Especially if it caused an extension or compensation was sent out that people found subpar.

• The top 30 people didn't really do the Galaxy part. This was probably pretty similar to the rest of the ranks. With another skirmish coming up, I feel most got what they wanted during that time and didn't want to spend more resources on the Galaxy part.
  • AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Puknuti wrote: »
    Maybe give us back Expedition Event?
    Nope. Even more tedious than Galaxy. People play the least tedious way possible. Seriously. The only way to upvalue Galaxy in Hybrid events (and in general) is a rework of the community rewards structure. The rewards must be more enticing, since a standard 10x premium pack has a lot lesser worth for people already playing the game for years.

As I proposed in a different thread:
    - 250M first super rare crew
    - 500M second super rare crew
    - 750M 10x event pack
    - 1B one of the winnable ranked legendary

The standard 10x premium pack drop as a community reward is sucked dry.
  • Avatrunei wrote: »
    Puknuti wrote: »
    Maybe give us back Expedition Event?
    Nope. Even more tedious than Galaxy. People play the least tedious way possible. Seriously. The only way to upvalue Galaxy in Hybrid events (and in general) is a rework of the community rewards structure. The rewards must be more enticing, since a standard 10x premium pack has a lot lesser worth for people already playing the game for years.

As I proposed in a different thread:
    - 250M first super rare crew
    - 500M second super rare crew
    - 750M 10x event pack
    - 1B one of the winnable ranked legendary

The standard 10x premium pack drop as a community reward is sucked dry.

Probably a HUGE % of players have never taken part in an expedition, so having one might be enjoyable for them. Just sayin' but it's up to WRG and I doubt they'll do it, because they seemed to have more issues with expeditions than other events.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai