Home The Bridge

Restrictions on Child Characters?

I was looking through the roster of available characters and there's a noticeable lack of a lot of the shows' many juvenile characters, from young Molly O'Brien and Naomi Wildman, to de-aged Guinan, Ro, and Picard from "Rascals," as well as newer characters like young Rukiya and the entire cast of Prodigy.

This is such a clear pattern that I can't help but wonder if there are restrictions placed on the game by CBS/Paramount that keeps them from including these characters. Many of the actors who played these parts decades ago are now adults who likely wouldn't object to their image being used in the game, even if current children might not be able to for legal reasons.

Is there some age limit in place or are these simply characters the devs have decided not to include for other reasons?

Comments

• Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once upon a time, previous ownership expressed discomfort including them. Whether that's a codified policy from the actors, CBSViacom, or just what the devs preferred not to do, I dunno. I think it had to do with not wanting to mistakenly draw in children players. I never really understood that because they control which images and screenshots they share in their online store listings. As with so many things, no one asked me.
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't have the license for Prodigy, so that is another issue. Teens are as young as you get, excepting Suspiria, who appeared as a child, and Worf with newborn Molly.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    Balok was the first character to feature pre-teen followed by Suspira I believe
    I have always wanted Rascals Ro(more Ro is always a good thing! Headband Ro!), Guinan, Picard & Keiko, Deputy Sheriff Alexander & maybe some of the Children from Picard Day ("The Pegasus")
    They don't have the license for Prodigy, so that is another issue. Teens are as young as you get, excepting Suspiria, who appeared as a child, and Worf with newborn Molly.

And Harry with Wildman if you wanna really get technical
  • Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kestra and a Nog and a Jake Sisko are there.

Think the difference is just how old they are at the time. We don't have any Jake's from Season 1, only when he was a couple of years older

Think the difference is just how old they are at the time. We don't have any Jake's from Season 1, only when he was a couple of years older

Well, we know Teenager Nog is a teenager. Kestra looks no older than a young teen. There is Midwife Worf holding a just born Molly O'Brien.

Well, we know Teenager Nog is a teenager. Kestra looks no older than a young teen. There is Midwife Worf holding a just born Molly O'Brien.

With Teenager Nog you are proving my point in that past a certain point then it's OK for them to put forward that character. Besides, it's more about the age of the actor rather than the character & Aron was 17 I think when he dipped his toe into acting

Baby Molly is not the central character & just a face. Kestra came in after Balok & Suspira as I have already said
  • imdwalrusimdwalrus ✭✭✭
    I have always wanted Rascals Ro(more Ro is always a good thing! Headband Ro!), Guinan, Picard & Keiko, Deputy Sheriff Alexander & maybe some of the Children from Picard Day ("The Pegasus")

But probably worth pointing out that in Balok's case, Clint Howard has appeared on Star Trek repeatedly over the years as an adult so they almost definitely have his likeness rights.

I don't know but I'm guessing this is more on the Paramount side of things; I can't think of many examples of Star Trek merchandise or products featuring kids at all.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

With Teenager Nog you are proving my point in that past a certain point then it's OK for them to put forward that character. Besides, it's more about the age of the actor rather than the character & Aron was 17 I think when he dipped his toe into acting.

Aron was 23 when he played Nog for the first time.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
    Ivanstone wrote: »

With Teenager Nog you are proving my point in that past a certain point then it's OK for them to put forward that character. Besides, it's more about the age of the actor rather than the character & Aron was 17 I think when he dipped his toe into acting.

Aron was 23 when he played Nog for the first time.

Thanks 🙂 my DS9 is very rusty but saw a video of him where he said he started acting at 17
    imdwalrus wrote: »

I don't know but I'm guessing this is more on the Paramount side of things; I can't think of many examples of Star Trek merchandise or products featuring kids at all.

Agreed
    imdwalrus wrote: »

Agreed

There is the Prodigy issue. Those are animated teens. There is a Prodigy game. Wil Wheaton and Cirroc Lofton were both fifteen when they started and we have very early versions of them. Same for Kestra. The actress was fifteen, maybe fourteen, then and the character was meant to be that age. She's supposed to be at the Academy during season three. Fifteen must be the about the cutoff for solo characters with real actors.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know there have also been discussions about the idea of having children on missions, where they could be blown up on a ship in Arena, for instance. Always struck me as sort of silly on one level, since this is all just happening in a game, but on another level I can see where those folks were coming from.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I know there have also been discussions about the idea of having children on missions, where they could be blown up on a ship in Arena, for instance. Always struck me as sort of silly on one level, since this is all just happening in a game, but on another level I can see where those folks were coming from.

Yet some of the shows had families with children living on some starships and stations/outposts located in sketchy areas - both prone to attack and/or destruction.
    Data1001 wrote: »

Yet some of the shows had families with children living on some starships and stations/outposts located in sketchy areas - both prone to attack and/or destruction.

Look out why Worf ended up delivering Molly O'Brien. The science fair winners were trapped with Picard in the lift. Naomi Wildman was stuck on Voyage by chance, but she went through everything like they did. Worf himself and Michael Burnham had similar back stories. Orphaned and raised outside their culture.
    They needed a character like Naomi. Otherwise it would have been a ship with family. Just adults & it showed that the life cycle is continuing despite the circumstances

Just past the Flotter/Trevin episode the other day
    I'm always amused that we have adult Naomi, her holographic babysitters, but not her mother. Seems a little weird. I liked Sam. She expanded the lower decks vibe on their bottled Starfleet crew. Vorik, Suder, etc. Proportionally, we got to know more of Voyager's total crew than any other.
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing WRG has a general policy about kids in the game, and considers cards on a case-by-case basis. Or possibly a set of guidelines with some being more open to adjustment than others.

So, trying to extrapolate a strict set of guidelines won't work, because that's not what WRG uses.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there are several overlapping guidelines relating to the age of the actor and age of the character, and these sometimes don't fit together smoothly.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport