Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Disco Viewing Habit and Level of Concern About Spoilers [Spoiler-Free Thread]

Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Strange New Worlds
For the purposes of this thread, do not discuss any story content.

Disco Viewing Habit and Level of Concern About Spoilers [Spoiler-Free Thread] 66 votes

I watch each new episode within the first 24 hours.
43%
Warrior WilloStellar IceAstrometricsJeanLucKirkCaptain TFSabine of AthensData1001Travis S McClainNad Hal[QH] He-Who-MeowseXo | Cadet MattPaund Skumm[TLA]  84wbStygianAuntieA[SSR] GTMETLarxene[10F] NewtonianQBalls[KF] Kapitan DobchanNeems 29 votes
I watch each new episode, but don't usually get a chance to do it in the first 24 hours.
27%
[RotP]Ran Airen[KM] UL1R53Ivanstone[QH] OxmyxJim RaynorZann Calcore (ISA)GrumpferPlasmaRaraRacingTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)[TFA] CaptainObviousSiblin[10F] Belle'Anna Zetterbeard <TGE> CliffordCaptain RomarJassada[OPA] Col. Fred L. Johnson 18 votes
I'm waiting until the end of the season so I can use the free trial week and watch it all.
13%
[KM]VidemKnight RangerSSR BarkleyMagisse÷ The Eternal ChampionOdo MarmarosaCapt. Pete OwenArynneEddNog 9 votes
I watched some and bailed already, and I don't care what happens or is discussed.
12%
DralixMordackLalandra William T. Riker[TFA] Commodore WizzlestixPallidyneThe Great GornholioDirk Gunderson 8 votes
I airlock every STD toon as soon as possible and need the world to know when I do it.
3%
Jim SteeleVreenak 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    I watch each new episode, but don't usually get a chance to do it in the first 24 hours.
    Unfortunately it doesn't show for 24hrs here in Australia and the last two episodes I watched back to back because I simply didn't have an opportunity before. But I reckon its great. After the last episode (I watched a few hours ago) I realized I was so entranced I watched it leaning over the back of the chair. I forgot to sit down it was so good.

People who haven't given it a chance are missing out big time imo.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    I can see Disco using Netflix...but unfortunately with a 24-hour delay...
  • Options
    SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting until the end of the season so I can use the free trial week and watch it all.
    waiting until the season is over. the level of spoilers this week has been pretty high, from chats and posts.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Options
    The level of insta-spoilering of Discovery at least is not as intense as that of Game of Thrones, but I couldn't stand the risk of more than 24 hours of risk.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting for it on DVD.

People could easily not put spoilers in the dang thread titles. Then, if people click the thread, which should be clearly marked "Spoiler", it is on them......
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving this to the correct category :)
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choice 3 was closest for me, but I'm unlikely to even watch them all that soon. I don't have time to binge them all in a free trial week, and that'd still leave me out for the next season anyway. I'll likely watch them way in the future, maybe even once the series is done.
    And yes, that makes me care about avoiding spoilers. :)
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched some and bailed already, and I don't care what happens or is discussed.
    I only voted to prove Travis wrong that there would be no more votes after moving.

I watched the first episode only because I don't have All Access and haven't bothered to either get it or don an eye patch.

I don't care what's discussed and happily read spoilers. Some day I might watch it and won't be bothered by what I've read.
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »
    I only voted to prove Travis wrong that there would be no more votes after moving.

Related: There'll be a new opening in our fleet in five minutes.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(
  • Options

:'(

Like all tyrants, I am fickle.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to add that there is probably another percentage of folks who aren't represented by any of the choices in this poll. For them, this answer:
    ...probably comes closest, but I know several folks in my fleet who are hoping it shows up on Netflix in the US at some point (which may be another year or more after the season ends), and I've come across one or two people who are hoping it eventually gets syndicated and made available to individual stations.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Just wanted to add that there is probably another percentage of folks who aren't represented by any of the choices in this poll. For them, this answer:
    ...probably comes closest, but I know several folks in my fleet who are hoping it shows up on Netflix in the US at some point (which may be another year or more after the season ends), and I've come across one or two people who are hoping it eventually gets syndicated and made available to individual stations.

As I've mentioned in subsequent posts, what I wanted to establish with this poll wasn't really about the show's audience in general, but rather to get a sense of just how important Disco and information about its episodes even are to forum members.

The picture that has been painted by the data so far is that the majority of respondents are actively watching, and most of them are watching within the first 24 hours an episode goes live. It also appears that the primary reason for the second group watching outside that first 24 hour window is simply that it's delayed until then in their market. For them, it's still within their first 24 hour window; just not the first 24 hour window here in the States.

The segment you've identified would simply place them in the demographic of players/forum members who are actively postponing watching the show at all until (well) after the original release period. I should have been more open-ended about that polling option, but the net result is ultimately still the same.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking again at the poll, had to lol when I noticed the one person who voted "I airlock every STD toon as soon as possible and need the world to know when I do it" has a DSC character as their avatar.

LvWuhsO.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Looking again at the poll, had to lol when I noticed the one person who voted "I airlock every STD toon as soon as possible and need the world to know when I do it" has a DSC character as their avatar.

LvWuhsO.gif

That's my favorite thing about this entire thread.
  • Options
    None apply.
    "I intend to watch it all at some point, but not any time soon." Would fit.

• Options
    Since this is mainly about how we feel about spoilers:
    I read reviews of each episode that include spoilers from one blogger. I try to avoid spoilers from random strangers.

I tend to be more conservative about spoilers than most people. For example, the ads for movies on dvd all seem to assume that everyone has already seen the movie, despite the fact that 45% of Americans see one-or-fewer movies in the theater each year.
    With Discovery behind a paywall, it seems a reasonable assumption that half the people who want to see it haven't seen it yet, and won't see it until it is available somewhere other than All Access. So it seems rude to give thoughtless spoilers in thread titles before then.
    But the rest of the world seems to think it is fine to spoil major plot points in the ads for the dvd. :(
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    A relative of mine has found himself an eyepatch. Unfortunately, this means I don’t necessarily have regular access to it. I’m working on it, but sometimes it’s days or almost a week until I can get a chance to watch it. I don’t bother avoiding spoilers here, though.
  • Options
    But I also regret watching it within 24 hours.
  • Options
    I've only seen the first episode of discovery
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    For the purposes of this thread, do not discuss any story content.

Where is the option: I'm too poor to buy the streaming service, so I'm just screwed from watching them?
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!