Home Ready Room
Options

Who would you make the next citation project?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is that I still use Grand Nagus Rom on DIP/ENG voyages, especially since Bajoran tends to come up a lot on one of the DIP slots. I’ve got Etana Jol and BO#1 immortalized with Interfaced La Forge at 2/5* (and only a few names down on the immortalization list)...and yet, Rom persists.
  • Options
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    - The last 4 columns show a combined result ... with the third one a bit different. Where column 3 in this section takes the Big Book tier rating (after the recent update to 10 tiers) into account, where I'd consider that to be an overall crew usefulness rating that includes events, base score, gauntlet possibilities etc.

--> e.g. Although Loken has the most unique skillset/voyage combo (score 304,1) ... he drops to second place (76,0) when I take the Big Book score into account with Pollard (79,1) making a huge jump up.
    - Great MED base;
    - Disco event potential;
    - Good skill set for voyages with MED / CMD and an excellent tertiary skill in SCI;
    - Compares favourably to other 5* crew's (that I own) skill sets for voyages.
    Only the bottom two are reflected in Pollard's score of 158,2.

One of the neat things of adding in the Big Book tier rating is that crew like Grand Nagus Rom or Braxton really shift ranks ...
    - In the case on GN Rom ... I personally do not own many 5*s with any combo of DIP, ENG and CMD ... and no others in that exact order, so even though he has really poor voyage stats, he is rated above average on my crew ... but when taking the BB into account, he drops below average (6,8) on my crew ... showing me that I've just not been fortunate to get other 5*s in with his skill set and that the moment I do, GN Rom will become outdated ...
    - The opposite is for Braxton ... where he has a common skill set on my crew so drops in average ranks (though compares favourably vs other CMD, SEC & ENG crew) ... the jump he makes with the BB score shows that his voyage score really will be relevant for a while.

Anyway, that's all for now ... don't want to dig up an old discussion too much. :)

I find this fascinating and fantastic. You've built this proprietary system which factors your roster's situation against something of a bird's eye view that the Big Book provides to try and approximate how your decisions will pan out long-term. It's how I always want(ed) the doc to be used. Stuff like this is really strong motivation to make sure the tiering we do is as thoroughly considered as possible.

We've also discussed building a more comprehensive voyage ranking than what the level 100 spreadsheet offers by factoring in skill set and I see that Leshy seems to be doing something like that, but we just haven't had the time yet.

While it does sound like a very useful and interesting tool for analyzing one's crew, I'm not sure how possible it would be to make this widely accessible for a spectrum of players. Let's consider 2 significantly different players:

player 1: buys monthly card and all campaigns as well as an average of one event pack and one special offer pack a month, occasionally splurging for special holiday deals etc.

player 2: limits spending primarily to only the campaign, with a very occasional $10 legend they really want.

Player 1 would have both a lot more crew slots, as well as a lot more legends and at a higher fusion. Ranking crew voyage score based on having DIP/ENG/CMD in an uncommon combination for your crew as in this example of GNRom, could be a viable consideration of which crew to freeze or prioritize citations.

Player 2 would have far fewer legends and probably slots, and ranking crew with common skills like DIP primary would probably have significantly less value regardless of the secondary and tertiary skills, as investing citations would be significantly slower. Thus, this player2 may be better served holding onto citations if they had to wait for stronger crew, rather than investing in GNRom when they only have one MED legend for example.

Perhaps a "multiplier" of sorts could be applied to this kind of measurement to adjust for circumstances like this. Or even dynamically adjust the ranking based on the extensiveness of a person's crew. I know I'm making this even more complicated, just thinking this concept out.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    - The last 4 columns show a combined result ... with the third one a bit different. Where column 3 in this section takes the Big Book tier rating (after the recent update to 10 tiers) into account, where I'd consider that to be an overall crew usefulness rating that includes events, base score, gauntlet possibilities etc.

--> e.g. Although Loken has the most unique skillset/voyage combo (score 304,1) ... he drops to second place (76,0) when I take the Big Book score into account with Pollard (79,1) making a huge jump up.
    - Great MED base;
    - Disco event potential;
    - Good skill set for voyages with MED / CMD and an excellent tertiary skill in SCI;

One of the neat things of adding in the Big Book tier rating is that crew like Grand Nagus Rom or Braxton really shift ranks ...
    - In the case on GN Rom ... I personally do not own many 5*s with any combo of DIP, ENG and CMD ... and no others in that exact order, so even though he has really poor voyage stats, he is rated above average on my crew ... but when taking the BB into account, he drops below average (6,8) on my crew ... showing me that I've just not been fortunate to get other 5*s in with his skill set and that the moment I do, GN Rom will become outdated ...
    - The opposite is for Braxton ... where he has a common skill set on my crew so drops in average ranks (though compares favourably vs other CMD, SEC & ENG crew) ... the jump he makes with the BB score shows that his voyage score really will be relevant for a while.

Anyway, that's all for now ... don't want to dig up an old discussion too much. :)

I find this fascinating and fantastic. You've built this proprietary system which factors your roster's situation against something of a bird's eye view that the Big Book provides to try and approximate how your decisions will pan out long-term. It's how I always want(ed) the doc to be used. Stuff like this is really strong motivation to make sure the tiering we do is as thoroughly considered as possible.

We've also discussed building a more comprehensive voyage ranking than what the level 100 spreadsheet offers by factoring in skill set and I see that Leshy seems to be doing something like that, but we just haven't had the time yet.

While it does sound like a very useful and interesting tool for analyzing one's crew, I'm not sure how possible it would be to make this widely accessible for a spectrum of players. Let's consider 2 significantly different players:

player 1: buys monthly card and all campaigns as well as an average of one event pack and one special offer pack a month, occasionally splurging for special holiday deals etc.

player 2: limits spending primarily to only the campaign, with a very occasional $10 legend they really want.

Player 1 would have both a lot more crew slots, as well as a lot more legends and at a higher fusion. Ranking crew voyage score based on having DIP/ENG/CMD in an uncommon combination for your crew as in this example of GNRom, could be a viable consideration of which crew to freeze or prioritize citations.

Player 2 would have far fewer legends and probably slots, and ranking crew with common skills like DIP primary would probably have significantly less value regardless of the secondary and tertiary skills, as investing citations would be significantly slower. Thus, this player2 may be better served holding onto citations if they had to wait for stronger crew, rather than investing in GNRom when they only have one MED legend for example.

Perhaps a "multiplier" of sorts could be applied to this kind of measurement to adjust for circumstances like this. Or even dynamically adjust the ranking based on the extensiveness of a person's crew. I know I'm making this even more complicated, just thinking this concept out.

I should note that I have a pretty standard crew ... considering I've been playing since mid-2016 ... I've hardly put money into the game ... 109 5*s (14 2-skill, 24 immortal, including 1 2-skiller ... so my non-ff 3-skill 5*s come in at 69 in total - 25 of which come in above average for voyages (see list I posted).)

Anyway, GN Rom doesn't come up that high on my specific crew rankings, within one stdev from the average (a score of 44,6) ... in no way would I consider citing him, even though he is unique regarding skills on my crew (if he was part of a key collection I might reconsider) ... the likes of Da Vinci, "Dark Ages" McCoy, Mirror Stamets, Dr. Pollard are far, far better options if I would to add brute strength to me crew.

The way I score means that even though Rom has a unique 3-skill combo ... his skill combos, as I rate them, aren't individually unique ... e.g.

Rom - DEC (DIP/ENG/CMD)

- I have a number of other DIP/ENG/x or ENG/DIP/x (primary/secondary/tertiary) crew available (I give the combo equal weight for both versions):
    Bell Riots Jadzia (DESc)
    Interfaced La Forge (DESc)
    The Traveller (EDSc)
    Etana Jol (EDSc) - immortal
    North Star Tucker (DES) - immortal

- The crew that I have DIP/x/CMD or CMD/x/DIP are too numerous to list here.

- I also have a number of x/ENG/CMD or x/CMD/ENG crew:
    Tuxedo Nog (DCE)
    Honored Owosekun (ScCE)
    Kremin Guest Paris (DCE)
    Aviator Yar (SEC).

So for voyages that are DIP/CMD, DIP/ENG, CMD/ENG, Nog is one of many and is already a weaker choice even with a unique skill set.
    Of the listed (non-immortal) crew only The Traveller rates lower because he has a common skill set and he has a really poor voyage score, meaning he comes in below average.

So ... I think if you, as a player in category 2, just limit your 5* citations to your current strongest crew (GN Rom will never be that high up ... unless you only have like 4 5*s), with my method you'll probably be adding the citations to the right person.
    When I got Temporal Prisoner Chakotay in, he was instantly #1 on my rankings list ... so I cited him up immediately ... sure he's now outdone by Ba'ul, but I cannot wait for stronger crew to maybe appear in the future ... however, if Ba'ul was in the portal at that time, I might have waited to see if I was lucky enough to have him drop and put my efforts elsewhere.

There are certain crew that will be unique/strong to cite up (for voyages) no matter how many 5*s you have ... Stranded Quark, The Keeper, MC Mayweather (previously DF Paris), Da Vinci come to mind, but there are others.
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

- Great MED base;
    - Disco event potential;

It's not necessarily the methodology or numbers that I'm lauding, but rather the initiative to take a comprehensive look at one's crew from various viewpoints. It's up to the individual to do so and even if such a tool were to exist that could be made to be compatible with any rosters' criteria, it also has some negative potential. If a player is using a paint-by-numbers tool, they're not learning as much as they could. If, like IAP, the tool were to shut down, you're back to square one and whatever you may have learned along the way is probably not as rich as it would be if you were to do things on your own.

I had this whole speech I was going to type up, but the gist is that there's so much bad and outdated advice floating around that players who are invested heavily (time or $$) into this game and want to improve should probably be going through these sorts of exercises on their own as well as examining their assertions with other players. It doesn't even necessitate spreadsheets and printouts, just 20-30 minutes of roster examination here and there to give yourself a road map of what your next moves are.

In any case, citation candidates should both fit a need and be statistically relevant enough to be in service long enough to pay back the investment. It's okay to let a roster hole fester for a while if the best you have to address it is bad crew. That just means you have a clear picture of the next type of event or pack crew you're going to target.
    that alright i nearly dug it up myself a couple of days ago, I've just finished EMA so I am toying with other cards now Owosekun, Pollard, Disco Spock, Rev Phlox, Assimilated Hawk, Disco No1. Probably still going to cite mega which might put Spock and Owosekun back down. Seems to be a safer bet just to permanently focus on MED crew these days.

To reign in the tangents, I believe this is OP's last update. If you've cited Tenavik (which would almost always be a good call) that helps address some event overlap from the other crew you mentioned as well as CMD/SCI voyages. Since you've long lamented a weakness in MED, I'll just say that we were going over several similar tier 2-3 Disco crew for BB rankings the other day (Tenavik, Pollard, Ba'ul, Owo) and unanimously agreed that Pollard is the best package. She has similar voyage efficacy to Phlox (superior, imo, due to the higher MED), but there's a night and day difference in their event potential.

I discussed this a couple months back saying Pollard > Pulaski for events and got some push back from players who were pretty sure the Disco megas were done. Personally, it seems like CB$ has a vested interest in marketing their current shows and the timing of this mega nowhere near a tv season (eight [!!!] event bonuses in one year) makes Disco crew prime investments going forward if you care at all about events. And the percentage difference in voyage score that she may lack compared to top crew is much smaller than the gulf of MED/CMD replacement value behind her, most of which is scattered between the tertiary skills of other crew.

Any of the Disco crew you mentioned are fine candidates, though Pollard will probably make the biggest voyage impact.
  • Options
    I discussed this a couple months back saying Pollard > Pulaski for events and got some push back from players who were pretty sure the Disco megas were done. Personally, it seems like CB$ has a vested interest in marketing their current shows and the timing of this mega nowhere near a tv season (eight [!!!] event bonuses in one year) makes Disco crew prime investments going forward if you care at all about events. And the percentage difference in voyage score that she may lack compared to top crew is much smaller than the gulf of MED/CMD replacement value behind her, most of which is scattered between the tertiary skills of other crew.

Agreed on Pollard over Pulaski ...

On an interesting note ... if flashback events happen in order ... the next one up would be Fixed Variables (skirmish), which happens to be Dr. K. Pulaski's event ... so, even if you decide to go for her, I'd only cite to 4/5 because chances are you'll get a 5th copy in the near future (if DB continues with flashback events every so often).
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I did cite Tenavik so Pollard looks like the next one to start on. Thanks as ever for all the input guys!
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    What I find interesting is that I still use Grand Nagus Rom on DIP/ENG voyages, especially since Bajoran tends to come up a lot on one of the DIP slots. I’ve got Etana Jol and BO#1 immortalized with Interfaced La Forge at 2/5* (and only a few names down on the immortalization list)...and yet, Rom persists.

This is interesting I have held on to Rom and have him unlevelled currently, I wish I had gone a bit more all out on the skirmish for getting a dupe of La Forge. But on the plus side I do also have Bridge officer Number 1 to assist on this as well.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

This is interesting I have held on to Rom and have him unlevelled currently, I wish I had gone a bit more all out on the skirmish for getting a dupe of La Forge. But on the plus side I do also have Bridge officer Number 1 to assist on this as well.

Number One was absolutely worth each and every one of the four citations I used on her. Great bases in a rarer combination, great voyage potential, and a solid lineup for events as long as DB sticks to having all Disco characters as bonus crew.

Rom came about the slow way, immortalized solely through pack purchases before honor was introduced. If I had him at 1/5* or 2/5* right now, I don’t know that I would cite him (certainly not before La Forge)...but I can not deny how very much use I have gotten out of him over the years. I even used him in the gauntlet early on, before better options became available. Ultimately, it all comes down to value over replacement - if you want to work on DIP/ENG and don’t have the likes of Number One, La Forge, or others like Okona, Rom at 5/5* is better than any 4/4*.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Back again like a bad penny or a broken record.
    90k and as there is a skirmish first event I think i'll finish Pollard off early.
    Now I am looking on to my next citation project and although I am hitting ten hours fairly regularly and safely with most skill sets. So after focusing heavily on med. I thought I would have a change of priority to a skill other than MED. This morning I found it a struggle to get my CMD ENG voyage numbers up to scratch. I do however have a wealth of potential to bolster this however.
    I got a lucky pull the other day and unlocked Earhart, she's quite clearly the best option to cite.... However Assimilated La Forge and HMS Data are both 3/5 out of them I would say La Forge would probably pip Data to the citation list as he would help finish the Borg collection and his voyage totals are slightly better than Data's. Whereas Data's main strength would be the more useful to cite for event potential.
    Other possibilities include Captain Lorian (useful for Jury Rigger collection), Interfaced Barclay, Captain Harry "poor man's Braxton" Kim. All of them are 1/5.
  • Options
    Personally, I've not cited anyone in a while and have built up over 200.000 Honor ... my last citation went to Tenavik, which put me at 355 Honor. :)

Anyway ... I'm doing this because:
    1. I didn't have a super clear project until recently ... I've picked up the Xindi Insectoid and they will get citations in the near future (at 2/5 with the citation we got in the mail). :)
    2. Last year they had a sale from the 18th to the 21st of December ... 5* behold cost 27.000 Honor and 10x premium packs cost 4.000 Honor (?) ... you could buy three of each per day ... I enjoyed the randomness so was going to do the same again this year ... might pick up key crew for me (Away Team Burnham, Stranded Quark) or good additions to collections (Sphere-builder Presage or Satin Dress Lily Sloane) or just add stars to some decent crew in the portal (e.g. Aviator Yar, Dark Ages McCoy, Da Vinci) who aren't high on my preference list to cite but would be good to do so.

So ... that might be an option if you want to let randomness into your life. :)

Assimilated La Forge is a good option ... getting the Borg collection complete will help for voyages and he'll add a tier to the Originals collection too. He's also better than Ru'afo for voyages.
    Kim is also a good option ... for my specific crew make-up, he's actually the better option of the two considering the SEC third skill. What I like about Kim is that he'll often be available for voyages during events ... but I might go for a different crew myself (e.g. Delta Flyer Torres, see below).

Here's my crew - I have made 10 hrs in CMD/ENG numerous times with the following set-up:
    CMD - Braxton(1/5) - Tenavik(both as 4/5 and 5/5); DIP - Borg Queen - KG Paris(1/5); SEC - RAF O'Brien - Determined Janeway; SCI - Borg La Forge(2/5) - Mirror Picard; ENG - Ru'afo - The Caretaker; MED - Temporal Prisoner Chakotay - Cornwell.
    --> Still lots of room for improvement actually ... e.g. Cornwell has neither ENG nor CMD!

Personally, if I was looking to boost CMD/ENG voyages the options of (in order of best to least) Falcon O'Brien, Delta Flyer Torres, KG Paris, Tux Nog, Aviator Yar, Bridge Officer Number One are actually better options than Kim and La Forge when I consider the crew I own.
    As you know, I like to take the third skill into consideration too and the way that the crew listed above line up they not only improve CMD/ENG but also e.g. CMD/SEC and SEC/ENG.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Yeah I too am in a bit of indecision I may try and collect enough honor for a sale if they do this again - it would be nice if we had more advanced notice about this - but it is what it is.

I've had a look at the top 40 voyagers as a possible listing:
    Assimilated Hawk - Really would like to cite him up Compliments Mirror Picard with main skill reversal.
    Bridge Officer No 1 - Strengthens DIP ENG and provides a nice back up with Interfaced La Forge who is already immortal.
    Quinn - Good Stats but skill set is not the highest priority for me
    Wrathful Kirk - Main cast great bases and Voyage score, I got distracted about his bases and didn't realise how good his voyage score actually was.
    Honored Owosekun - Sturdy card but I have a lot of CMD/SCI options
    New Eden Pike - Slightly better version of Kamala, but I do have decent coverage
    Kamala - as above.
    Humbled Archer - Main Cast although good voyage numbers he more likely for events as I have plenty of DIP MED options already.
    Ba'ul - can't decide between finishing off Chakotay who is 3/5 or working on the updated version at 1/5.
    Leonardo Da Vinci - Long standing card on my citation list, just never seems to make it to the top but I do sometimes miss his trait versitility.
    Evolved Janeway - 4/5 but can be obtained collecting purple.

I think
    Hawk, Kirk and BoNo 1 are the standouts from the list but I still feel like I need a tie-breaker (perhaps a Gary 7 ;) )