Home The Bridge

I have to say, I'm getting really tired of seeing a Mirror Picard bonus gauntlet 2x or more per week

DB! Get some new freakin traits up in this bih.

Seems like each week I have two or more Mirror Picard bonus gauntlets. Both this week I think have been 45%, even if I'm mistaken on the percentage amount, he's definitely been super active with bonuses the past month or two. Like lighten up, throw in some different traits. I know there are more gauntlet-viable traits out there than just Crafty, Mirror Universe, Human, Starfleet, Resourceful, Brutal, and Veteran.
Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.

Comments

• Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree, it's been too much. Let's have some variety.
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Gauntlet is very Mirror Picard centered. Surak and Caretaker too but this Picard thing is way out of hand
  • It was exciting when we finally started seeing new Gauntlet trait combinations, until so many of them became 45% Mirror Jean-Luc Picard sets. It doesn't upset me as it seems to have upset some other forum users, but it has detracted from that initial enthusiasm.

I keep hoping to encounter new Gauntlet trait combinations that will put some of my less-used crew in play. Gimme Chancellor, Cultural Figure, Diplomat so I can bring in my Gorkon with a 65% crit chance some time!

• I'm getting this a lot. Earlier today it was just awful. I'm down thousands of merits because of this foolishness and I've hardly had a streak for days despite this. I was thinking of giving it a miss for a week see if things improve. I need my merits.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭
    This is getting ridiculous. I got four Mirror Picard walls in a row just now.
  • Jim is correct..

And while 'technically' he is in Starfleet, he would be in the Imperial Starfleet not the Federation Starfleet.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a distinction, Starfleet is grouped together yes but that is appropriate to quote Mirror Sato "Another Starfleet?" but the distinction comes via separate traits via mirror universe and federation.
    I actually prefer it this way because you get several characters that are in the Federation but not in Starfleet.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a bit odd is that there is no Klingon trait days. There's a good pool of Klingon characters and the gauntlet is a fine activity for a warrior race. It's really too bad we barely have any Cardassian, it would be quite fitting too.
  • I know DB doesn't want impossible combinations, but I really wish they would randomize all the traits.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not as bothered as I was by the repeated Guinan 65% gauntlets over the course of a few weeks but it is getting annoying.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has gotten so bad I actually only bring 4 crew into The Gauntlet now. The fifth is just a throwaway I bring just to throw in front of the first Mirror Picard wall I encounter to save my remaining crew. It is sadly effective, although hopelessly against the spirit of the competition.
  • IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    It has gotten so bad I actually only bring 4 crew into The Gauntlet now. The fifth is just a throwaway I bring just to throw in front of the first Mirror Picard wall I encounter to save my remaining crew. It is sadly effective, although hopelessly against the spirit of the competition.

When choosing your 5th Gauntlet crew member, I suggest looking for a character in your roster that will give you a fighting chance of winning 1 specific combo of Skills, even if the combo does not include the featured Skill. I realize there is only about a 5% chance you will have that particular combo come up, but when it does, you will be pleasantly surprised to be able to beat your opponents and get some additional Merits/Credits.
    As an example of what I mean, I will occasionally throw in Mirror Bashir as my 5th character. He only has 2 Skills, but the total of his proficiency rolls in them make him one of the better options in the game for the one combo he covers.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irial wrote: »

When choosing your 5th Gauntlet crew member, I suggest looking for a character in your roster that will give you a fighting chance of winning 1 specific combo of Skills, even if the combo does not include the featured Skill. I realize there is only about a 5% chance you will have that particular combo come up, but when it does, you will be pleasantly surprised to be able to beat your opponents and get some additional Merits/Credits.
    As an example of what I mean, I will occasionally throw in Mirror Bashir as my 5th character. He only has 2 Skills, but the total of his proficiency rolls in them make him one of the better options in the game for the one combo he covers.

I look forward to the day when such decisions are possible, lol
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one place DB doesn't RNG everything!
    Irial wrote: »

Although I haven’t sent him out in a while, I know exactly what you mean - Mirror Bashir, despite having only two skills and not the highest of ENG or SEC rolls, is shockingly effective in the gauntlet. People who have strong ENG/SEC gauntlet crew (Mirror Bashir, Gangster Spock, and Augment Commander O’Brien all come Timmons) are somewhat few and far between.
  • "working as intended"

lol

I personally have a difficult time believing people spend more on things that frustrate them, but I guess DB has the metrics that say otherwise or something. It's certainly not because it's a fun/challenging/rewarding gameplay experience.
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve always thought the constant MP gauntlet traits was DB’s way of trolling the backlash storm over the free copy they handed out. A sort of “You didn’t want him? He’ll haunt you forever” thing.

I’d be completely fine seeing Brutal and Cultural Figure both take a long break from the gauntlet. Maybe Borg too. They pop up far too often and only serve to bolster the biggest beasts.
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It's funny. I don't remember the last time I actually used Mirror Picard in gauntlets. I use iampicard to get a list of recommended gauntlet crew. I do change the inputs slightly and pull down the input that affected percentages down to ~2.5 from 3.0. This doesn't usually result in anything different, but sometimes does.

I tend to use Kahless, Gowron, and Caretaker almost everytime. 4th is usually between Surak, Defensive Phlox, or Guinan. 5th tends to be the wildcard.

I typically land in the top 5 (frequently getting 1sts).

I think one of the things that does help is I tend to set timers (don't wake up in the middle of the night, unless I'm woken up for some reason). So I try and get as many gauntlet rounds in as I can.

Those percents can be traps, even with some of the better gauntlet crew.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've also been paying closer attention to the past few gauntlets, and have noticed that certain skill pairings (not necessarily even involving the featured skill) tend to come up more frequently (sorry, haven't tracked stats). There have been a couple gauntlets where I didn't necessarily bring my strongest crew, but lucked into having crew that had these magical pairings, allowing me to regularly beat 'better' crew (ie: 2 good stats VS 1 good/great stat). Other gauntlets I have gone in thinking I had a loaded team, only to discover that my skill combinations rarely came up, despite trying to maximize my effective combos.

The non-stop walls, whether Mirror Picard, Surak, or others, do tend to get tiresome. I agree that I find irony in the fact that the gauntlet seems to be the one feature that doesn't rely on RNG to pick featured skills/traits.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    B schedule gauntleteers I think got trolled by DB...we got a Guinan 65% trait set. Complain about Mirror Picard getting multiple 45% gauntlets, get a re-run of the last one we complained about.
    No complaints here (I have 2 Bartender Guinans and 1 Gloria in my Gauntlet line up this week - I knew I fought for her for a reason).

Jim

DB: Do Better
    B schedule gauntleteers I think got trolled by DB...we got a Guinan 65% trait set. Complain about Mirror Picard getting multiple 45% gauntlets, get a re-run of the last one we complained about.
    No complaints here (I have 2 Bartender Guinans and 1 Gloria in my Gauntlet line up this week - I knew I fought for her for a reason).

Jim

I’ve got a Bartender Guinan and pulled off my best starting (or overall) streak ever, at 17 wins...I just feel bad for the many out there without any Guinans who are going to lose a lot of MED/DIP/SEC battles today and tomorrow.
  • maybe it's because I'm on the "B" gauntlet day slot, but I've had Musketeer Picard once and Klingon Jadzia twice in recent gauntlets, Mirror Phlox, etc. I'm seeing a lot more variety and less predictable walls than in the past for sure (sometimes to my detriment, as I don't have a focus on Gauntlet crew).
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's any consolation, this morning's guantlet is a 65 guinan 45 quark : /
    My first match was a wall of them ^_^
  • It would be nice to have gauntlet where the featured traits are only listed on characters with max proficiency of like 400-500. So those characters, not normally used in gauntlet, are at least usable when compared to a mirror Picard with 700-800 skill proficiency.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    adonibyte wrote: »
    It would be nice to have gauntlet where the featured traits are only listed on characters with max proficiency of like 400-500. So those characters, not normally used in gauntlet, are at least usable when compared to a mirror Picard with 700-800 skill proficiency.

It would take a 66.7% boost for a 400-500 roll to compete with a 700-800 roll. That is greater than a 3-trait-match vs a 0-trait-match (60% bonus). You underestimate just how much it takes to make "other" characters actually viable.