Home The Bridge

Skirmish on Thanksgiving/Black Friday? Seriously?

Comments

• Flemming wrote: »
    (I don't partake in Black Friday for multiple anti-social reasons)

My initial reaction was antisocial=criminal, not antisocial=socially avoidant.

Having worked in mall retail a long, long time ago, all I could think is Black Friday is exactly the time to engage for antisocial reasons!

My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    RogueAngyl wrote: »
    Flemming wrote: »

Having worked in mall retail a long, long time ago, all I could think is Black Friday is exactly the time to engage for antisocial reasons!

You took the words right out of my mouth!
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from a late Thanksgiving dinner, I have zero plans aside from finding a bottle of something to hide in and mash skirmish buttons.

Amen, brother. People are tiring to be around and several days in a basement without having to engage a single solitary human being sounds wonderful.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    RogueAngyl wrote: »

I said multiple reasons. *evil grin*
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFLMAO, you mean those of us who refuse to do black friday might have a chance at taking a high rank for once. yeah, i think not, because macro users and auto game playe peeps are just botting the scores. into the 10s of millions right on day one. never mind that even if you play every minute of 24 hours, that as near one could get to an impossibility. even at 6 battles every 3 minutes, 20x6kx24=2,880,000. so i really don't know how peeps can possibly hit 5million VP on day one unles they are hacking the server. the math just does not compute.

what are you even talking about?

1. No one has ever scored tens of millions of VP on day one of an event.
    2. Skirmishes are 5 battles, not 6. The final battle gives double VP.
    3. The highest score I've ever seen in a skirmish was a little bit north of 12 million after all 4 days.
    4. You aren't accounting for VP from regular lootboxes or purchasable lootboxes. Someone I know averaged it out to close to 6200 VP per skirmish.
    5. Most high powered players I know do skirmish sets in less than 2.5 minutes each.

So let's redo that math. 1440 minutes in a day, skirms at 2.5 minutes each, so a maximum of 576 skirmishes. At 6200 VP each... 3,571,200 per day... so a theoretical maximum at 14.3 million VP, assuming you buy no extra loot boxes. And also, it's possible to do skirms in less than 2.5 minutes.

Tl;dr: not sure if trolling...?

While whoever does all of that tapping, many of us will be eating, drinking, visiting, and shopping! Shoe shopping!! lol

<3<3<3
  • Thanksgiving isn't Christmas. And Black Friday isn't even a real holiday.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most players would be happy with a week off from an event for a holiday. Players have been asking for a week off for years. Getting it on a holiday would be an added bonus.
  • AviTrek wrote: »
    I think most players would be happy with a week off from an event for a holiday. Players have been asking for a week off for years. Getting it on a holiday would be an added bonus.

Yes, I agree. How about Christmas? The only holiday that the majority of the players actually celebrate...

• While whoever does all of that tapping, many of us will be eating, drinking, visiting, and shopping! Shoe shopping!! lol

<3<3<3

"And the turkey said to the Trekkie in the morning, Today is a good day to die! Q'Apla!"

Why not do both? Surely we can multitask... :D

In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • While we complain about an event on a public holiday, we forget the poor sap who "volunteered" to keep an eye on the entire server/service chain during said holiday, so those of us who may/might want to play, can.

I for one will always raise my glass to those unspoken and unrecognised individuals, and thank them for what they give us.

LLAP!
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    AviTrek wrote: »

if you want a week off, just don't participate lol

And by close down, I mean close down the game, like they want the week off;)
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain Q wrote: »
    While we complain about an event on a public holiday, we forget the poor sap who "volunteered" to keep an eye on the entire server/service chain during said holiday, so those of us who may/might want to play, can.
    Don't be ridiculous, there is no one working in DBs office during weekends.
    DB: Do Better
  • I'm looking forward to having a weekend off. It's not even Thanksgiving here.

Such a funny thread :smiley::smiley::smiley:
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    what you choose to do with your time, is up to you. you alone determine your priorities, let's not define others' for them.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    I have family over for the holidays so my playing will be sparse, but even if I didn’t it’s threshold and out or however far I happen to get. The rewards for the events simply aren’t worth the time. As far as ranking, I’ll care about that when the reward is real money, I’ll be happy for whoever wins but will never understand the need or desire to spend hundreds of hours/ dollars to do so in something as silly as a phone game.
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • Jim Steele wrote: »
    Captain Q wrote: »
    While we complain about an event on a public holiday, we forget the poor sap who "volunteered" to keep an eye on the entire server/service chain during said holiday, so those of us who may/might want to play, can.
    Don't be ridiculous, there is no one working in DBs office during weekends.

What? This isn't Star Trek Fleet Command's forum? Oops! Wrong game, my bad!!! :D

Touché Jim, touché!
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even factoring in the time devoted to family and celebration, I personally, have more time available on a holiday weekend because I'm away from work. Some might find a skermish/galaxy/expedition more suited to their schedule, others might handle the faction shuttle schedule better. This is true every week regardless of holiday status or ones location in the world.

I'm more concerned with how it will effect DB's office than the player base, especially with a hybrid combo that hasn't been done before. As some one else pointed out, it's almost a tradition that something goes wrong on holiday weekends.
  • I'm pretty sure you will have to put in less effort/time overall in this thanksgiving event than you've had to in the faction event that just ended to reach the 350k VP and/or rank in the top 1000.
    And you have 48 hours to put in the ~3 hours you need without bothering to check the game every 1 1/2 or 3 hours.
    Also the rewards are better with the free community pulls and the ff super-rare.
    In my opinion a skirmish event is far more friendly as a holiday event than a faction event would be.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I do not think I ever left the house on Black Friday, except I remember one year I was shortsighted and realized I needed more booze.

(Last time I was sober, man I felt bad... - Dire Straits)
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • ByloBand wrote: »
    I personally don't see this as a big deal, especially since I suspect fewer than 50% of the total player base will be effected. If we took weekends off every time there was a holiday SOMEWHERE in the world, we'd probably never have weekend events.

Just my point zero two dollars' worth. U.S. dollars obviously.

This might not be a bad idea. Anyone remember the days where there was only an event every three weeks?
  • Quit GameQuit Game ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    are_dub wrote: »
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I personally don't see this as a big deal, especially since I suspect fewer than 50% of the total player base will be effected. If we took weekends off every time there was a holiday SOMEWHERE in the world, we'd probably never have weekend events.

Just my point zero two dollars' worth. U.S. dollars obviously.

This might not be a bad idea. Anyone remember the days where there was only an event every three weeks?

Yes, those were the good days. But the sweet spot would be 2 weeks if you ask me. Or they could do a repeat event every second or third week.