Home The Bridge

Skirmish on Thanksgiving/Black Friday? Seriously?

DimeDrlDimeDrl ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in The Bridge
Skirmish is easily the most time intensive event in this game and its being placed on what is easily two of the busiest days of the year for most people in the US.

Any other event type would have been better on these two days than the one that requires running ship battles constantly for hours just to maintain ranking. Even flipping the event to galaxy/skirmish would be better than this.

To be blunt, this is pretty big #### move to most players in the US on one of the biggest holidays of the year.

Comments

• I think they are just trying to make a point that World wide at given times DB should respect those Traditional times, but most of us realize DB does not care. So as Squirrel says, choose what it more important, Family, Work, Friends in need, or this game.
  • With a good crew u can gain 300k VP/hour, so i don t see the point.
    And btw. Not everywhere in the world is Thanksgiving a holiday or/and important.

And afterall nobody forces you to play. Just take a break. No big deal or game changer, to sit out 1 event. ;)

I know its not international. I specifically stated US, repeatedly. My point is this puts an entire continent at a disadvantage. They should consider this for all countries.

And its not the 300vp per hour that's the issue, its the 30k intel that takes 10 hours to burn through and generates another 20k intel in yhe process that's the issue.
  • ZEB wrote: »
    I think they are just trying to make a point that World wide at given times DB should respect those Traditional times, but most of us realize DB does not care. So as Squirrel says, choose what it more important, Family, Work, Friends in need, or this game.

If it was anything but Skirmish, we'd be able to balance all of it. :P
  • While I will be celebrating Thanksgiving, I will have plenty of time to play that day,. Since I hate crowds, the extent of my shopping on Black Friday will be the local Grocery store, so will have all day to play. (if I decided to)
  • With a good crew u can gain 300k VP/hour, so i don t see the point.
    And btw. Not everywhere in the world is Thanksgiving a holiday or/and important.

And afterall nobody forces you to play. Just take a break. No big deal or game changer, to sit out 1 event. ;)

Most events I would argue the flip sides of the coins you've thrown in the air.

Lol but not this next one.
    It's a pretty safe week off.
  • Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just curious, but how is this an in-game bug? (Currently posted in engineering...)
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • [FSC] Adm: Gryphon[FSC] Adm: Gryphon ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    ROFLMAO, you mean those of us who refuse to do black friday might have a chance at taking a high rank for once. yeah, i think not, because macro users and auto game playe peeps are just botting the scores. into the 10s of millions right on day one. never mind that even if you play every minute of 24 hours, that as near one could get to an impossibility. even at 6 battles every 3 minutes, 20x6kx24=2,880,000. so i really don't know how peeps can possibly hit 5million VP on day one unles they are hacking the server. the math just does not compute.
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • Captain Q wrote: »
    Just curious, but how is this an in-game bug? (Currently posted in engineering...)

The mobile website doesn't display any notes for which forums are which. Just the titles. I looked at the threads in each and chose one.
  • ROFLMAO, you mean those of us who refuse to do black friday might have a chance at taking a high rank for once. yeah, i think not, because macro users and auto game playe peeps are just botting the scores. into the 10s of millions right on day one. never mind that even if you play every minute of 24 hours, that as near one could get to an impossibility. even at 6 battles every 3 minutes, 20x6kx24=2,880,000. so i really don't know how peeps can possibly hit 5million VP on day one unles they are hacking the server. the math just does not compute.

I'd just like a chance at top 2000 without having to ignore family and friends over the holidays. All it would take to remedy that is to make skirmish Saturday/Sunday instead of Thursday/Friday. Galaxy is 30 minutes of burning chrons and crafting items. Then hours of waiting for more chrons. Being competitive in skirmish takes hours of constant gameplay. This is my only point in this thread.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too bothered by it, thankfully they offered a crew that no one had ever heard of so its quite easy to sit out. I'll do a few skirmish battles but more for the loot that comes with them rather than trying to place in a rank. The Galaxy part is not really needed as most people will surely hit the thresholds before that starts. Im Skirmish and out.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have been saying all year that these events on some holidays is inconsiderate. Fortunately, I don't like this 5* guy so I will likely be threshold and out (which I don't often do) I plan on being away for just a few hours on Thanksgiving and I also have plans for Black Friday as well.

But Christmas is far, far worse, where I have all day and night commitments. (and let's just not get into Captain Picard Day :P) Last year, I tried to play. This year if they do an event on Christmas, I am not even going to bother because it was just to much last year and I simply can't do it.

Does this make me feel extremely less amical towards DB, ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DB has a history of scheduling grueling events on holidays, so this is just normal...
  • 📍🇨🇦

🖖
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate that the 5* for this coming week appears to be an homage to an actress who went before her time but ranking in this event only interests me as far as finishing Prospect Burnham. Even if I pretty much skip Thursday, I’ll have time on Friday and Saturday to work on the Skirmish half and resources to hopefully maintain rank in the Galaxy portion the rest of the event.

Do what I do to save time on Black Friday: do all your shopping online. In addition to great deals all weekend long at every online retailer, ThinkGeek and Vat19 are wonderful places to find gifts for the whole family. And sitting on your couch or at your desk, in your pajamas, eating leftovers while shopping beats elbowing people with “I’d like to speak to the manager” haircuts for the last iPod in the store 10 times out of 10.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing DB is thankful for is star trek fans continuing to give them money because it's star trek despite all their problems.
  • At Thanksgiving let's all (USA & the rest of us) just be thankful that it's not an Expedition event.

I'll never forgive DB for one of those over Christmas
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem. DB made a non necessary legendary as prize so everyone who doesnt have time or doesnt want to grind can just get threshold and out.

Except you know the stats are going to be amazeballs!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem. DB made a non necessary legendary as prize so everyone who doesnt have time or doesnt want to grind can just get threshold and out.

Except you know the stats are going to be amazeballs!

Haha, maybe, at would be funny. But the new odo we can all get, the landry is old, and the legendary is not maun crew and will not be bonus in future events unless there is a rerun after a year or two.
    Let’s fly!
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    My position remains that if you're genuinely upset to be unable to dedicate large chunks of time to this, or any other, game because you're spending time with people who love you, you may not care as much about the occasion--or the people who love you--as you think you do. That's as true of Thanksgiving or Christmas as it is of a concert with friends or your niece's school play.

Agreed. The expedition over Christmas last year was obnoxious, but I managed to work it into the alone time I usually need to take at family events to maintain my sanity. It didn't take any more time than I was willing to give, and if my play suffered because of being with my family, that was perfectly okay with me.