Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Who is playing Star Trek Fleet Command and who are you in this new uni?

edited December 2018 in Strange New Worlds
HoratioH Commodore of TCE fleet.

Comments

• Options
    And now DB changes me to F&I, only after I start a new game way after being IR again. So shifty. ;)
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    I installed it, saw it was Kelvin timeline based and uninstalled it after playing the tutorial. I play another game similar to it, Battle Warship. It’s pvp p2w, so be prepared to spend.
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not played it, and don't plan to. Some of my fleet play it, and my OH does, so I've seen/understand some of the game play. Its advertised heavily on adwarps in STT, and looks incredible. There's two reasons for me not to play it, time is the main one. I play STT a lot, with a main and a mirror account, and I really don't have time to invest in another game. Two, the PvP that @Lady Gaghgagh put so eloquently. I do not like games like that. At all. Not my cuppa.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only other game I would play would be Star Fleet Battles....oh my, I may have just given away my age abit, I err, I umm, I never played that, only read about it, yeah, that's the ticket! :wink::sweat_smile:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Nomad,

I still have Star Fleet battles, just not installed on my current computer.
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    Played a few of these type games, same exact set up, with a star trek theme stamped on it. I agree with Gaghgagh its basically a bully zone, with a bunch of people who can see who can spend the most the fastest, Ill pass...
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't played it and I'm not planning in it.
  • Options
    CptnBellamyCptnBellamy ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I started playing it Wednesday night, the day before the big release. Not sure why I was given a few hours head start but I jumped right in and can only agree with and 2nd/3rd what Gaghgagh and others have already said. I'll add that the aforementioned bullies are also the most vocal chatters/abusers in the in game global chat where they seem to have community support. Speaks to a very toxic community and environment.

And to the fool in the Fleet Command ingame global chat who challenged me directly to write a negative review of STFC, here you go. This is not the first place I've posted this nor will it be the last.

I've not seen this from the developers directly but they are supposedly quoted as saying the so called "pvp" element makes the game "interesting" and "challenging" This was my verbatim response on discord in a channel where at least one designer was present (includes the answer to why I refer to pvp as "so called" ... (note to date there has been no response to this from said designer/developer)
    This is not a pvp game... unless you define pvp as an enounter where only one side is active 90% of the time and the other side isn't capable of mounting an effective defense
    nor is +10/-10 or even +5/-5 a "challenge" in any way. If you are the higher level player in that situation and hitting opponents 10 levels down is "interesting" and "challenging" then you **tsk tsk**.
    to be blunt
    its like calling a fox hunt or poking a stick at a kitten in a cage a "pvp experience" ….

Besides - these battles are auto fought with auto determined outcomes. There is no in-battle tactical decision making typical of pvp type games. Your tactical decisions can’t sway the battle either way because you don’t get to make any. You build your ships and train your officers but that’s it.

This is an RTS but it is neither “interesting” nor “challenging” if only side can get the resources to build and train an effective battle force because the other is getting their mines and resources farmed non stop by what are basically online bullies deluding themselves into calling the repeated bashing of players 5-10 levels lower than them who frequently aren’t even online at the time “pvp”…..

To be quite frank, you shouldn’t even get “pvp” rewards if the other side isn’t online as their force is then managed by the same AI that controls the pve encounters….

• Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    These comments are really helpful, thanks for sharing. I had started poking around with the game but based on all this, I think I'm not going to poke further ...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    I installed after seeing a few ads on Timelines (a curious thing right?), I played for about one day, I got bored of it and I gave up and uninstalled.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    These comments are really helpful, thanks for sharing. I had started poking around with the game but based on all this, I think I'm not going to poke further ...

Same, here.
  • Options
    I played for about 5 minutes. It became very boring very fast.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank, I appreciate your thoughts as always. But that last part sounds like “hope the experience-breaking bugs are fixed by a developer that makes DB look like Barney and Mister Rogers had a love child and that the community that seems to be populated exclusively by 4chan users decided to play fair”...which would bring it up to the level of OGame or Astro Empires. I played both of those for some time several years ago and the grind of logging in, finding out that someone has decided to annihilate your fleet and destroy improvements at your bases, then starting over nearly from scratch just got to be too much.

I’m not saying they weren’t fun when things were going well in those two games - they were and I made more than a few friends in both - but they aren’t for everyone and I can’t imagine Fleet Command will magically rise to their level even over time.
  • Options
    It's really bad. Kind of addictive, but I totally agree with all the comments. The players range from really lovely (like we see here) to downright sociopathic. The sociopathic ones totally ruin the game, and every server has several.

On top of that, the leveling system is utterly broken. Especially at higher levels. The scaling is insane. The resources required are astronomical and extremely hard to get. This is basic level **tsk tsk** that any active player can see, and are very vocal about, and it hadn't been fixed. It's utterly absurd, and I'm just fascinated by how bad it is and why it hadn't been fixed.

PVP has been well described above. It isn't PVP it's higher level players destroying **tsk tsk** incessantly. That's all. It's **tsk tsk** awful. There's nothing else to say. It's just **tsk tsk** awful.

There are minor bugs like broken episodes, areas out of bounds, and mining systems that are borked, again relatively easy stuff to fix but they're busy doing other stuff. Quite what that other stuff is, remains a mystery, but there you go.

I'd give it a miss. It may improve, it may not. I like to play to see how the mechanics of things work, and this isn't good. I've had fun so far but I think I'm going to quit soon. I hate toxic environments and continually blocking payers to try and avoid that is just not good enough. I just don't want that there in my game. It's just not Star Trek.

Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    i love it.

they will fix the bugs, but just like timelines launch there will be a bunch of people whining. dont like it, leave. there will be plenty who stick around and like it.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »
    That's a good assessment, Gaghgagh. I've only been playing for a few days, since the wide release on Google Play in the States. But although there are things to like about it, I am starting to see some of the negative things you mentioned.

Any game which features battles where you can lose what you've accumulated, and where alliances can become very powerful and make other players' gaming experience extremely unpleasant, is not a game I particularly dig. I've played games like that in the past, and they just got frustrating and left me angry a lot of times — which isn't what I should be getting out of a game.

On top of all that, as I said in another thread, there really isn't very much of a "Trek feel" to Fleet Command. It's really just a space game with some Star Trek elements laid on top of it.

There were things I liked about it and the game has a lot of potential as a concept. For example the graphics were excellent, the game was indeed much more interactive, and the ability to actually visibly build a starbase as well as maneuver your ship through regions of space were entertaining.

But all of those nice innovative things about the game were completely overshadowed and undermined by the myriad of glitches, the exorbitant scaling of resources and time needs, the ability to have all your hard work or money earned resources pillaged from you all too easily, and the toxic social environment. Just as someone else said, the most sociopathic and toxic players were the most vocal on the game’s global chat so the game felt inundated with their presence in most all aspects of gameplay.

And just like you @Data1001, I started noticing most of my gameplay left me feeling angry, upset, or frustrated/demoralized; not happy, intrigued, or motivated. Realizing that is why I left right away. I game to enjoy the experience of what a game has to offer. Being challenged is fine within reason as long as it is an obstacle that I can overcome with time, effort, and skill, but the challenges in this game were only solvable via money and/or miraculous patience and navigation through sociopathic players bent on trolling you and making the worst of your game experience; obstacles I neither have the patience, control, nor desire to invest in.

The only thing I miss about the game were the few actually friendly and pleasant people I befriended in the game, I wish I had given them my line contact before I jumped ship.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Not with a big emphasis on "NO" 🤗
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nomad,

I meant the board game from the early 80's......oh, there I did it again!
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    I have those as well. But I think the original was from the late 70s. And I got them while I was in high school.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nomad,

I meant the board game from the early 80's......oh, there I did it again!

Similar to a board game, I played a Star Trek D&D game for a few months with some friends. It was honestly way more exciting and enjoyable than Fleet Command, and Timelines for that matter.

I was a Romulan Starfleet ensign whose family had defected to the Federation during Ambassador Spock’s attempts at Vulcan/Romulan unification. My character personally had undergone gruelling experiments for the Romulan state by the Tal Shiar seeking to create optimal spies. The secret Tal Shiar program was designed to tap into a Romulan’s genetic/psionic ancestry with Vulcans and develop that person’s latent telepathy or mental ability to control others’ minds. When my twin sister died in the torturous experiments, that’s when my family decided to defect to Vulcan, though little did the Tal Shiar or my family know I had begun to actually develop the burgeoning psionic abilities as hoped in the experiments.

But it’s that level of customization and ability to craft a story that I absolutely loved about my D&D sessions. I played alongside a Vulcan security officer, a Bolian mechanic/strongwoman, a Human officer who was really a covert Cardassian operative à la Seska but was a skilled epidemiologist who could make fatal biological weapons, a cowardly but shrewd Tellarite diplomatic officer, a Betazoid counselor much like Troi but was endlessly more crass, a Klingon demolitions expert, and a Bajoran archaeologist. Too bad the campaign fell through after a while. Trying to organize sessions based on the schedules of 8-9 different people was near impossible.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    I think I have Star Trek : The Roleplaying game somewhere. And I loved Starfleet Battles. Have any of you played Star Trek online? The ship combat basics are similar.
  • Options
    I still play Birth of the Federation. You can download it for free and I use Play on Mac to run it.

It’s still fun to play a half dozen times a year.

I downloaded Fleet Command but haven’t played it yet. I barely have enough time for STT so I may not even bother.
  • Options
    I've been playing it just since the Google release here in the U.S. So far, it's ok imo. I agree that it can be frustrating as others have pointed out but I'll "Deal with it" for now. I am a member of the (OO) Obsidian Order alliance. Oh yeah, because you asked, I'm the same there that I am here...Dr. Creon. ;)