Home Ready Room
Options

Do Not Airlock Checklist Thread 3: Press Ctrl-F, type Spock

LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Ready Room
About the Do Not Airlock Checklist
The 'Do Not Airlock Checklist' is a Google Sheet that was originally created by TheAlchemyst. It was then added onto by several other people, the latest of which is yours truly. I have made some modifications and updates since that I hope will be of some use, and regularly add the new crew that keeps appearing in the game for some reason.

This thread follows on from two earlier threads on the previous forums. It is therefore numbered three.

Great. So what does it actually do?
The 'Do Not Airlock Checklist' can help you determine what crew you still need (or don't) in planning your crew, help you with tricky Beholds, or help you with a shortage of crew slots by telling you what crew you can murder by pushing them out of an airlock into space. You monster.

The sheet takes into account mission requirements, the crew with the highest minimum and maximum stats, cadet challenges, collections, voyages, and usefulness in the Gauntlet. Every time you mark a crew member as Active, the sheet removes the requirements that he or she meets from all other crew, gradually whittling down the usefulness of crew that you do not yet have.

Why did you have me airlock this crew that I now need?! (or: the Big Fat Disclaimer)
● The sheet uses the stats of all crew at level 100 and fully equipped (they do not need to be fully fused). Recommendations will be incorrect if you mark crew that you are still leveling and equipping as Active.
● The sheet does not take into account how difficult characters are to equip.
● The sheet does not take events or the Arena into account and how useful a character may be for that.
● Changes may (and do) occur to the game at any time, which may invalidate the recommendations that the sheet gives.
Always use your own judgement and the Big Book of Behold Advice before airlocking any crew.

Most Current Version:
Do Not Airlock Checklist 3.50b (8 February 2020)

Conversion Helper
To help you more easily move your data from an older version 2.x to the new version 3.x, a conversion sheet is available: Do Not Airlock Conversion Sheet

How JiveDutch upgrades his sheet
Note that as of version 3.50, a semi-automated fill-in process is also available. See the Introduction tab in the sheet for more details.
JiveDutch wrote: »
Here's what i just did to copy my data from the 3.16 to 3.17 sheet, time take to write this up was longer than the copy work.

1. Move my old one to diff folder
2. Make a new copy on my g-drive
3. Open the settings tab, multi-select 3x, space bar to turn these calculations off
4. Copy the Starbase and Collection percentages, and Ctrl+Shift+V to paste them ovfer as Values Only
5. Missions Tab, multi-select the Victorious Factions, and Ctrl-Shift-V (values only) over to display the proper checkboxes.
6. Multi Select + spacebar makes quick work of all the missions ... otherwise paste values only is your friend again.
7. Crew Tab , unfilter all collumns to default view, sort by name A-Z, then Version Z-A on both sheets,
8. multi-select Active/Keep/Notes cells, and Ctrl+Shift+V to the new sheet.
9. multi-select all cells in Row B ( Fusion #) and paste them over ...
10. re-apply your filter preferences and you are ready to go ....

Comments

• Options
    Hi Leshy, thanks so much for all your work on this.
    Quick possible bug report - (it might be me doing something wrong). I can't seem to see any change in the sheet if I change the default no of crew to keep. Default is 4 - but if I change it to 9 or 10 - nothing happens as far as I can see. For testing purposes, I marked all missions as complete, so the sheet will only be displaying gauntlet and skills and changed the filter to allow sort by "why I need this crew"
    “Holodeck 2 tomorrow, 1600 hours. Just you, me and a tuning fork”
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The sheet checks your Active crew for who have the highest base and max stats for each skill. Characters in the top x (controlled by this setting) will never be marked as 'Space/Freeze', even if all their other requirements are met. It should avoid the issue of the sheet telling you to airlock some of your highest-ranking crew, just because they have no requirements anymore. Note that this feature does not add any entries in the 'Why do I still need this crew' list, though.

As far as I can tell, the feature is working correctly. If you unhide the 'Data' sheet, you'll see the top x lists on the right-hand side. Changing the setting from 4 to any other number, should have the lists grow/shrink, dependent on the number that you set it to.

I just set Captain Janeway to active in my sheet, who is normally listed as 'Space' as I do not need her for anything anymore. As she'd just be #4 for 'CMD Max', she was indeed listed as 'Active'. Reducing the setting to 3 led to her being changed to 'Space/Freeze', so it seems to be working correctly.

Please do let me know if you find an error with it, though.
  • Options
    Subcommander T'Rul never gives a "keep" or "space" rating- just a blank space.
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell, she's fine in the linked 1.73 version.

In the empty version, she is listed as 'Need', and when marking other characters as active and disabling 'ENG 4* Base', so she no longer meets any open requirements, she correctly goes to 'Space'. Did you make any modifications to your copy of the sheet, or do you have an older version?
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't a crew-selection tool be better suited as a sticky in the Ready Room?
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Just curious whether any updates have been made to the file, or you think potentially should be made to the file, due to introduction of Voyages into the game?
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I simply stuck it in here since it was already in 'The Bridge' on the old forums. From reading the forum descriptions, the 'Ready Room' might actually indeed be more suitable – I do not know if this forum software allows for threads to be moved...
    Irial wrote: »
    Just curious whether any updates have been made to the file, or you think potentially should be made to the file, due to introduction of Voyages into the game?
    There does not seem to really be a need for specific crew for Voyages; it is mostly a case of higher stats and more skills being better. As the sheet (and common sense) should already tell you not to airlock your highest-ranking crew, I think that it is already pretty much covered by default.

I believe there is some initial 'best voyage crew' research and ranking being done in Peachtree Rex's STT Level 100 spreadsheet, however. I think it's also more suited to that sheet than to this one to keep such rankings.

So for now I have nothing planned related to Voyages. If there's any good suggestions or it turns out that there are some absolute must-have crew for Voyages, I will be happy to revisit and have another look.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leshy wrote: »
    I simply stuck it in here since it was already in 'The Bridge' on the old forums. From reading the forum descriptions, the 'Ready Room' might actually indeed be more suitable – I do not know if this forum software allows for threads to be moved...

FWIW, I "reported" it and requested a sticky for you. When I re-made my spreadsheet thread in Ready Room, that's what I did.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moved and stickied :)
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, she's fine in the linked 1.73 version.

In the empty version, she is listed as 'Need', and when marking other characters as active and disabling 'ENG 4* Base', so she no longer meets any open requirements, she correctly goes to 'Space'. Did you make any modifications to your copy of the sheet, or do you have an older version?

I'm on version 1.73 with default settings. Subcommander T'Rul doesn't show a star value or a status (both are blank but have what appear to be correct code in the spaces). If I mark ENG 4* Base and Max to "No" the space is still blank. Other ENG personnel (Tuskegee Mayweather, etc.) have correct designations.
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    FWIW, I "reported" it and requested a sticky for you. When I re-made my spreadsheet thread in Ready Room, that's what I did.
    Shan wrote: »
    Moved and stickied :)
    Thanks, both. Appreciated :)
    MuadDave wrote: »
    I'm on version 1.73 with default settings.
    Only thing I can think of is unhiding the 'Necessities' tab, scrolling down, and checking whether the correct formulas are in there for Subcommander T'Rul. If not, it's a matter of copying the formulas down from the row above. Any chance you could share (a copy of) your spreadsheet?

• Options
    I am just starting to use this for the first time. I have version 1.73 (2017-10-04). It is confusing me because I can't mark off things I have completed. I have 115 crew but only 12 are immortalized. I have completed all of Episode 1 on Epic but only "A Father Figure" shows up for me to mark as completed. "By Hook Or By Crook" shows up but it is greyed out. I do not see it as one of the icons. I marked that the Klingon faction was victorious. On Episode 2, the missions are out of order. For cadet missions, only 3 are listed. What am I doing wrong? When I press ctrl f and type spock it brings up a box to find Spock on the page. There is still a closed lock icon on the page even if I refresh. But I am able to mark what crew I have etc so that would seem to say the password was entered.
  • Options
    I am just starting to use this for the first time. I have version 1.73 (2017-10-04). It is confusing me because I can't mark off things I have completed. I have 115 crew but only 12 are immortalized. I have completed all of Episode 1 on Epic but only "A Father Figure" shows up for me to mark as completed. "By Hook Or By Crook" shows up but it is greyed out. I do not see it as one of the icons. I marked that the Klingon faction was victorious. On Episode 2, the missions are out of order. For cadet missions, only 3 are listed. What am I doing wrong? When I press ctrl f and type spock it brings up a box to find Spock on the page. There is still a closed lock icon on the page even if I refresh. But I am able to mark what crew I have etc so that would seem to say the password was entered.

Its simple. Only A Father Figure needs those certain characters listed on Epic to pass it. By Hook Or By Crook is for if you choose the Augment side to win the mission. You chose the Klingon side so are locked out of the other faction now.
  • Options
    PhdPhd ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    What’s the best way to maintain/transfer the crew list when downloading a new version?
    Is there a simple way to perhaps update my local version with changes that have been made or are there too many behind the scenes formulae to mess with?
  • Options
    PhdPhd ✭✭✭
    Whilst filling out my crew list, it occurred to me that there is an improvement that you could make for future versions. The active column “Why I still need this crew member?” provides good information regarding what crew you need, but when the crew member is added it clears the corresponding info for that character, therefore losing those reasons. It would be good to have a second column which is kind of the inverse of that one, “Why I’ve got this crew member?”, showing this useful information.
    I keep removing the X in crew cells in order to see this info of why they’re useful, then re-filling the X again. Having a second column would also help identify duplicate reasons for needing crew members, that are covered by other active crew members. Some of these duplicate reasons could also be linked, and highlighted (by colour) to show that you are doubled up on a reason for keeping them. This would help targeting crew to freeze. Hope you understand where I’m coming from, and consider these changes for future updates.
    Many thanks for your hard work!
  • Options
    Phd wrote: »
    Hi,
    What’s the best way to maintain/transfer the crew list when downloading a new version?
    Is there a simple way to perhaps update my local version with changes that have been made or are there too many behind the scenes formulae to mess with?

When a new version is released, I sort both sheets by the "Version" column (ascending) and then copy the Active and Cryo'ed columns to the new version. The newly-added crew should be at the bottom and untouched by your copied data. I haven't tried copying mission completion settings any way besides manually.

I do like the suggestion for a "why do I have this crew?" note, but it could be pretty crowded for some crew. Some of the info is available on the Missions tab ("crew who can complete this node") but not the "4* SEC Base" and similar notes.
  • Options
    I'm on version 1.73 with default settings.
    Only thing I can think of is unhiding the 'Necessities' tab, scrolling down, and checking whether the correct formulas are in there for Subcommander T'Rul. If not, it's a matter of copying the formulas down from the row above. Any chance you could share (a copy of) your spreadsheet?

You should be able to view-access my sheet here.
  • Options
    PhdPhd ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I do like the suggestion for a "why do I have this crew?" note, but it could be pretty crowded for some crew. Some of the info is available on the Missions tab ("crew who can complete this node") but not the "4* SEC Base" and similar notes.
    As a first stab it would be an improvement to just be the inverse of the existing column, effectively moving the info from one column to the next - visually.
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Double post; see below.
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    Okay, so I just typed a lengthy reply, and posted it. I then made an edit to it, at which point the forums told me "Your comment will appear when it has been approved", and the entire reply was just gone. I have no idea what happened or who is going to approve my reply, but I'll just redo it from scratch.

It is confusing me because I can't mark off things I have completed.
    As AlloyIV said, the sheet only tracks missions with locked nodes. Most missions can be passed by any crew with enough skill (500 Diplomacy, or 700 Security, ...) and the sheet does not track these. Only missions where you need a specific combination of skill and traits are shown, as for those missions you usually need one of a specific few crew.
    When I press ctrl f and type spock it brings up a box to find Spock on the page.
    This is intended behaviour and not a bug :)
    There is still a closed lock icon on the page even if I refresh.
    This only means that not all cells can be changed by default. Do not worry about it, when you make a copy, you can use the sheet perfectly fine :)

The intended way is, as MuadDave suggested, to sort the old and new sheet by 'Version'. That will place the newly added crew all the way at the bottom of the list, and you can copy over your data from the old sheet.

I will have to check into your suggestion. The sheet works by specifically removing those requirements from all crew, thereby filtering them. I think I can re-add them, but it will require some more filtering and calculating, and will impact the performance of the sheet. It may also clutter up the Crew sheet too much, so I will have to do some testing. As said, those results are essentially also shown (for the mission requirements) on the Missions tab already.

You should be able to view-access my sheet here.
    Thanks, got it!

It seems you re-added the name of Subcommander T'Rul, and you used an apostrophe (’) rather than a prime ('). While that is absolutely 100% the correct way of doing it, the sheet unfortunately uses primes as they are much easier to type in than apostrophes (I blame default US-international keyboard layout). As a result, the sheet does not match Subcommander T’Rul with Subcommander T'Rul and those fields remain empty. Should be a quick fix on your end :)
  • Options
    Great- thanks!
  • Options
    MithiwithiMithiwithi ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    So for now I have nothing planned related to Voyages. If there's any good suggestions or it turns out that there are some absolute must-have crew for Voyages, I will be happy to revisit and have another look.

The only voyage-relevant factor your system doesn't currently capture value of having multiple skills. A three-skill crewmember is generally more useful for voyages than a two-skill or one-skill, because they can be used to stack more than one skill at once, and even their weak third skill makes them eligible for being used in that crew slot. For example, Bridge Officer Troi has decent combined MED, but also has CMD and DIP, meaning that if your voyage has MED as a primary skill, you can put her in a CMD or DIP crew slot and save the MED slots for crew like Mirror Phlox, who has very strong combined MED but only mediocre SEC to go with it. On top of that, Troi's combined CMD isn't too shabby, so she would really shine on a MED/CMD or CMD/MED voyage. (Note that you'd still put her in a DIP slot, so that you could put strong CMD primary in the CMD slots.)

Technically, having more traits also makes a crew more useful in voyages. But since the trait bonus is pretty minor at the moment, this wouldn't be worth capturing.

It isn't vital to add a new calculator for "voyage weight" at this time, though - we can mostly make do by bumping up the "top crew" figure a bit. Crew that have a high combined score for a skill will generally also have either a high base or max score, which your sheet does capture.
  • Options
    AlloyIV wrote: »

Its simple. Only A Father Figure needs those certain characters listed on Epic to pass it. By Hook Or By Crook is for if you choose the Augment side to win the mission. You chose the Klingon side so are locked out of the other faction now.

My point was that I can mark almost nothing as completed even though those things are completed, because they don't show on the list. I finished them because I would have used other crew that are not immortalized. I can't add the crew to the list for that reason.

I have all nodes cleared on Epic for Episode 1. (I listed the space battles too) Only 1 is listed. By Hook or By Crook is listed that I do not have. It appears I won't be able to use the sheet until most of the crew I have is immortalized.

The Wrong Crowd
    His Own Man
    The Prodigal Son
    Assault and Battery
    On Their Heels
    A Father Figure (the only one that shows for me to mark as completed)
    Pillage and Plunder
    Beyond the Call
    Double Trouble
    Stolen Harbor
    Behind Closed Doors
    A Logical Response
    Right of Conquest
    Cleansing Fire

• Options
    MithiwithiMithiwithi ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I have all nodes cleared on Epic for Episode 1. (I listed the space battles too) Only 1 is listed. By Hook or By Crook is listed that I do not have. It appears I won't be able to use the sheet until most of the crew I have is immortalized.

The sheet only shows nodes that are locked and require a particular trait to even attempt. It assumes that you will have crew capable of clearing other nodes with their basic skill check - or rather, it advises you to keep your four best-skilled crew for each skill even if they don't have a trait needed to clear a locked node.

If your crew isn't fully leveled, you will indeed need to level them further to actually clear the missions (much less three-star them on epic). You may not need to immortalize them - 1/4 crew (i.e. purple crew that haven't been fused) at level 100 can generally clear epic skill checks up through at least episode 5, and 1/3 crew (blue unfused) up through... I forget what, but certainly up through episode 3. What the sheet is telling you, then, is which crew you should be using your trainers on and/or grinding/replicating gear for.
  • Options
    Ok I didn't know it was only concerned with nodes that needed certain traits. So I guess it is only showing me what I nodes it thinks I can pass, when in fact I can pass much more because I may have crew with that trait that are not immortalized yet?

I don't get how the sheet is telling me what crew to use my trainers on when I am not supposed to mark that I have that crew unless they are immortalized.

I just keep wondering if there is something I am missing because I when I try to enter Ctrl F Spock it just brings up a "find" box, and the locks are still closed.

Sorry about the "guest", it doesn't seem I can change it. I signed on with FB.

LtCdr Data
  • Options
    LeshyLeshy ✭✭✭
    Ok I didn't know it was only concerned with nodes that needed certain traits. So I guess it is only showing me what I nodes it thinks I can pass, when in fact I can pass much more because I may have crew with that trait that are not immortalized yet?
    Yes, you may already be able to pass nodes or missions with crew that are not immortalised yet and that you may not yet have marked as 'Active'. The sheet always checks against level 100 FF/FE values, but sometimes less is enough to pass a mission.

You'll have to decide for yourself at which point you mark a character as 'Active', as long as you keep in mind that the sheet will check against stats that your character does not yet have if you do it before they are immortalised.

If you mark your 1/4, level 10 Captain Janeway as Active, the sheet will assume that you can finish all missions that she can at 4/4 Level 100; it will stop telling that you need other characters for those missions, while in reality she cannot finish anything at that level. If you have a level 85, 4/5 Borg Queen, it is probably quite safe to mark her as Active – she will likely be able to pass anything that the sheet says at that level already.
    I don't get how the sheet is telling me what crew to use my trainers on when I am not supposed to mark that I have that crew unless they are immortalized.
    The sheet shows you why you need crew that are not marked as 'Active' yet.

If I look at my own sheet, I can see that Trader Odo would be able to pass Serious Business (DIP Node) and Too Greedily and Too Deep. On the contrary, Rogue Harry Kim would not be able to pass any further missions. So if I had both, I could decide to prioritise levelling and equipping Odo over Kim.
  • Options

The way I use the sheet is, I mark all crew I have at all as "Active" (or "Cryo'd" if applicable), even if they aren't yet level 100. Any crew that then show up as dark green "Active" in the Status column are my priority for leveling, with top priority going to the ones that show as being able to pass a node on the Missions tab.

This also helps me decide which crew to pick in a Behold, if the crew isn't fully fused yet.

Incidentally, this suggests a possible feature request: add a third column for active but not FF/FE (so the columns might be "Active", "Imm'd", and "Cryo'd", where "Imm'd" serves the same purpose as "Active" currently does). The only different behavior between "Active" and "Imm'd" is that crew that aren't immortalized would show the text in the "Why do I need this crew?" column.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Mithiwithi wrote: »
    The way I use the sheet is, I mark all crew I have at all as "Active" (or "Cryo'd" if applicable), even if they aren't yet level 100.
    I personally use this trick:
    Mark actually Cryo'd crew by 555 (or other arbitrary big and easy to type number) in Freezer row.
    Mark not FF crew as 101-200 depending on their level in Freezer row.
    Mark FF crew below 80 or 70 as their level in Freezer row (but "below 100" can obviously be used as qualifier).
    Mark FF crew about 70/80 by their level in Active row (but FFFE can obviously be used as qualifier).

It's wonderfully easy to see what you can do, what you can't, who you need to level and why and pretty easy to sort and impossible to mistake actually freezed crew with active but underleveled/underfused one.

PS. Decided to share as example:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EEteOxiYz49smWvH6vTi9Ri_I0vZt1UgQIEbGDanVus/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    This one is mistake.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    al103 wrote: »
    Mithiwithi wrote: »
    The way I use the sheet is, I mark all crew I have at all as "Active" (or "Cryo'd" if applicable), even if they aren't yet level 100.
    I personally use this trick:
    Mark actually Cryo'd crew by 555 (or other arbitrary big and easy to type number) in Freezer row.
    Mark not FF crew as 101-200 depending on their level in Freezer row.
    Mark FF crew below 80 or 70 as their level in Freezer row (but "below 100" can obviously be used as qualifier).
    Mark FF crew about 70/80 by their level in Active row (but FFFE can obviously be used as qualifier).

It's wonderfully easy to see what you can do, what you can't, who you need to level and why and pretty easy to sort and impossible to mistake actually freezed crew with active but underleveled/underfused one.

PS. Decided to share as example:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EEteOxiYz49smWvH6vTi9Ri_I0vZt1UgQIEbGDanVus/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks everybody... starting to make sense now... To make sure I have it right

555 means FF/FE actually cryo'd in freezer row

101-200 means not FF... so a 1/4 level 10 Captain Janeway would be 110 in freezer row? And if she was FF she would be 10 in freezer row? If she was 70 or above then in active row as the actual level like if she was 96 put 96 in active row?

I know I could use whatever numbers make sense to me, just trying to make sure I understand it.

EDIT: If a crew was 100 then that would mean it was FF/FE but you are choosing not to freeze?