Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Discovery Season Two. Please do not post spoilers.

Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Strange New Worlds
It was Spock that did it.

NZQhi.gif

(only joking, not watched it yet.)

Comments

• Options
    There’s nothing to spoil from the first episode. Nothing happened really. If you’ve seen the trailers for season 2 you’ve seen the episode.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    There’s nothing to spoil from the first episode. Nothing happened really. If you’ve seen the trailers for season 2 you’ve seen the episode.

Guess you didn't actually watch the episode then?

Let's stay nice :)
    I fell on a YouTube video of someone reviewing the show who started off by saying "I will never enjoy this show unless they erase the relationship between Burnham and Spock" and had to turn it off. If you can't get past something so integral to the plot - why are you watching it? If you hate it that much - why are you putting yourself through it? Spend your time and energy on stuff that brings you joy - you only get so many heartbeats.
  • Options
    Lol I didn't even say I liked or disliked the episode. But plot wise, nothing happened in it. It was all setup for what's to come and the trailers for season 2 were basically condensed versions of this episode it seems.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was good though my cbs all access app kept freezing. But then an hour episode turned into two hours! :)
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »

He's just a hater. And perhaps a hatewatcher?

I fell on a YouTube video of someone reviewing the show who started off by saying "I will never enjoy this show unless they erase the relationship between Burnham and Spock" and had to turn it off. If you can't get past something so integral to the plot - why are you watching it? If you hate it that much - why are you putting yourself through it? Spend your time and energy on stuff that brings you joy - you only get so many heartbeats.

Yeah there is a little clique of streamers that do that. Picking fault with tiniest detail that doesn't fit in with their precious concept of "canon".
    They love the Orville because it is a carbon copy of tng from 30 years ago, they are like tos fans were when tng first aired.

There is no room for fresh creativity in their trek universe.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    L'Real did it in the Conservatory with a candlestick.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    easypeasy wrote: »
    they are like tos fans were when tng first aired.

*cough*

TOS fan who loved it when TNG aired. In hindsight the first two seasons weren't very good, but after that gave us some of the best Trek out there.
  • Options
    I'm wanting to like Discovery. I really do.

There were parts in S1 I really enjoyed such as the Mirror Universe episodes. I also like a lot of the characters, especially Stammets and Saru. And some episodes were almost classic Trek episodes such as the Time Loop episode with Harry Mudd. I also don't mind that Burnham is Spock's foster sister, or the Spore Drive or even the Klingons looking the way they do.

But there are cringe-worthy scenes that just grate on me. The scene in S1 where Burnham is crawling through a Jeffries tube reciting Alice in Wonderland, Tilly's swearing for example.
    The Saurian in the turbolift in S2E1, totally pointless.And the behaviour of the engineer they rescue in that episode seems a little odd to me. Perhaps its because she's been on her own for so long.

And theres quite a few scenes where Starfleet officers are not behaving like Starfleet officers. In S1,Landry doesn't listen to advice and is killed, and the treatment Burnham gets when she first arrives on Discovery is shocking. I know she "started" the war, but these are supposed to be enlightened humans who know how to forgive.
    The science officer from Enterprise in the first episode of S2 gets his comeuppance for being so braggadocious. I can't think of any other Starfleet officers in any other series who behave in such a way.

I'm hoping that my issues with Discovery will go away. I'm hoping its just a case of the show finding it's feet. After all, the first seasons of most Trek series are generally considered to be the worst.

LLAP.
  • Options

He's just a hater. And perhaps a hatewatcher?

Yeah there is a little clique of streamers that do that. Picking fault with tiniest detail that doesn't fit in with their precious concept of "canon".
    They love the Orville because it is a carbon copy of tng from 30 years ago, they are like tos fans were when tng first aired.

If only Orville was a carbon copy of tng. It lacks the writing and the acting of tng. It also has way too many lame Seth MacFarlane jokes to be anything but a terrible imitation. Seth's ego ruins his show. He is not a good actor and yet he insisted on being the lead. At least when M. Night Shamylan puts himself in his works he does so as a minor character. There is a small but vocal percentage of fans that hate every new trek simply because it is new. They lament that the new trek cannot be like the old trek that they heavily criticized when it first aired. That subset of trek fans like Orville because it does not have Star Trek in the title and they like Orville in some part to spite Discovery. Most times they talk about their love of Orville they only do so while also saying they hate Discovery.

I'm not in disagreement with you, I just try to be kind to the Orville because it has its moments and is harmless enough.

Totally agree about it being hijacked by spiteful anti-trek fans, they want it disco fail, they won't say a good word about anything in it. They kind of talked themselves into a bitter position and can't be seen to lose face by changing their minds.
  • Options
    furyd wrote: »

*cough*

TOS fan who loved it when TNG aired. In hindsight the first two seasons weren't very good, but after that gave us some of the best Trek out there.

Same here! Tng was lucky the internet wasn't big those first couple of seasons though hehe.
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First 25 minutes were really, really good...

And then it turned into sheet. (sheet is that thing which is a byproduct of eating food, and a real word is censored)
    Boring, dull and stupid action sequences. I wanted to skip scenes because it feels like a stupid Marvel or any other modern franchise that I don't even want to watch.
    Watching actors in front of the green screen while they are screaming and yelling isn't exciting or fun, it's boring and all that scenes are skippable.

Good points: PIKE! He is incredible. That science officer from Enterprise was funny with his bickering.
    Tilly has her moments if you like her, Stamets finally feels like a real person without a mushroom addiction.

Bad points: Michael Burnham. She is just a female version of Wesley Crusher. If she would be written off and replaced with Number One Discovery could become an awesome show.
    I don't care about her, she isn't interesting and she never struggles for anything.
  • Options
    Tried to watch Discovery. Couldn’t get through the first season. Don’t need all the political correctness and the MA rating.
  • Options
    To all sjw out there stop attacking anyone who does not echo your thoughts
    Burnham us simply not likable as a character to a lot of people
    It has nothing to do with her gender or color
    As an actress she is just unlikable
    DB Do-Better II
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hesham wrote: »
    To all sjw out there stop attacking anyone who does not echo your thoughts
    Burnham us simply not likable as a character to a lot of people
    It has nothing to do with her gender or color
    As an actress she is just unlikable

Honestly, I agree that Sonequa Martin-Green isn't the most amazing actress, and that Burnham is a bit too Mary Sue-like. She does a serviceable job, but she's no Patrick Stewart, and Burnham is no Picard.

But that works when the argument is "I don't like Martin-Green's acting." It doesn't work when the argument is "the show is too politically correct."
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, I enjoyed the premiere. It was nice to be back in this series properly after so long. The shorts were okay, but not the same. Like others, I really dug Anson Mount as Captain Pike. One thing that I'd been thinking about was that in the only canon story about prime timeline Pike, the guy was pretty much a cynical burnout ready to resign altogether. If I understand things correctly, "The Cage" took place about three or four years prior to this season of Discovery, which means Pike has worked through that burnout. I dig that. I also dig the greater emphasis on the bridge crew. There was a noticeably warmer feeling of camaraderie than in the first season. I dig that, too.

I did have two big issues with that episode, though, which I'll place in spoilers for those who've not had a chance to watch.
    I don't buy that the Enterprise was kept out of the war. Burnham characterizes it as a weapon of "last resort". Uh, the Federation was prepared to commit genocide. They should have brought in the Enterprise well before that. First Contact established a precedence of Starfleet being willing to keep their most advanced ships out of a crisis, I guess, but it's still unconvincing. I also don't buy that Pike was the kind of captain who wouldn't disobey those orders at some point in the what? Ten months that the war went on? Similarly, I don't buy that the Enterprise had been so far from Federation space that she couldn't get back at some point in all that.

My guess is that this is supposed to account for why Pike isn't a grizzled war veteran, in stark contrast to Lorca. If so, I think they did him a disservice by not tying his personality into the aforementioned burnout circa "The Cage". I'd have greater appreciation for a guy who had reached that point a few years ago, worked through it, then fought through a desperate war, and came out of it with hopefulness intact.

The other issue I took was that there is just no way that Sarek wanted Spock to learn empathy, not from Michael or Amanda or anyone else. That's entirely antithetical to everything we know about their relationship and Sarek's parenting of Spock.

These issues could be explored and more satisfactorily explained later, but I was rather put off by them up front. We'll see.
  • Options
    I like the show enough to watch the season. Not that fond of Burnham, and I'm not sure I'll ever accept the orcs as Klingons. If E1 is any indication, S2 shows some promise in character development and more opportunities to get to know the rest of the bridge crew. I'd be okay if they never released another MA rated episode too. Last point, at times E1 felt more like Star Wars than Star Trek, but I've always been biased towards the more cerebral/philosophical episodes anyways.
  • Options
    PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭

*cough*

Same here! Tng was lucky the internet wasn't big those first couple of seasons though hehe.

If TNG had aired fresh today, I don't know if it would have been kept on the air after Code of Honor.
  • Options
    easypeasyeasypeasy ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

*cough*

If TNG had aired fresh today, I don't know if it would have been kept on the air after Code of Honor.

Yeah even the most ardent right wing fan can't defend that one. It stunk.
  • Options
    PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭

*cough*

Yeah even the most ardent right wing fan can't defend that one. It stunk.

It's not even a right-left thing, that episode was downright offensive.

Code of Honor aside, if TNG season 1 aired today I don't know if it would have been renewed for a second or third season. Those first two seasons were really rough, and ending the 2nd season in a clip show was particularly terrible.
  • Options
    Dispater wrote: »
    Tried to watch Discovery. Couldn’t get through the first season. Don’t need all the political correctness and the MA rating.

I don't mean this as an attack on you, but I don't get this hate on the "political correctness" of the show. That's literally what Star Trek has been since the beginning - Fuller and Kurtzman are executing on Roddenberry's mission (one Berman did a good job of squashing for nearly two decades). A woman on the bridge was progressive Social Justice Warrior AF in 1966. A black woman even moreso. An Asian, and eventually a Russian, at the helm? Progressive. The first interracial kiss featuring a black person on television? Progressive.

Discovery is trying to live up to that idyllic future that Roddenberry believed in. In some ways the show may fail spectularly, but this is definitely one way in which it excels brilliantly.

The show means so much to so many people because of that vision, myself included. And it bothers me that we're at the point now where our society is so divided that people can actually say (and believe) that Discovery is not Trek.

The first interracial kiss on tv was nine years before Star Trek episode aired.
    Anyway, I like disco and i like Orville.
    I have problems with both but it is to enjoy tv time with family and both come through.
    I think acting has anyway deteriorated across board in all media as well as story writing and having raised in multiple cultures I can identify how derivative or copycat even disco ideas are. Orville does not pretend otherwise and I think Seth MacFarlane is holding back on either turning the comedy higher or afraid that taking that tack can sink the ship.

On other hand, canon aside and I am still reeling from Disney destroying 30 years of star wars cannon...
    In disco they are ten years ahead of tos with 50 years of special affects tech and uniforms and i still remember pike uncomfortable with woman on bridge in original series and now he has five... :-)
    So enjoy
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    And theres quite a few scenes where Starfleet officers are not behaving like Starfleet officers. In S1,Landry doesn't listen to advice and is killed, and the treatment Burnham gets when she first arrives on Discovery is shocking. I know she "started" the war, but these are supposed to be enlightened humans who know how to forgive.

Starfleet officers not behaving like Starfleet has been a Trek trope since TOS' Enemy Within, a number of episodes and movies pivot around that point.

Landry is a bit of an odd one, I'd hoped she'd have turned out to be MU too to explain her stupidity.

As for the crew, Trek is rooted in interpersonal conflict - why TNG ended up the way it did is a bit of a sorry tale, and if Roddenberry hadn't surrendered to his inner demons, we'd have seen more conflict.

And DISCO isn't the first series to show a level of unforgiveness, DS9 did do so too when they went undercover as Klingons.
  • Options

*cough*

It was voted as the second worse episode of any Star Trek show at the 50th anniversary Star Trek convention by the fans. Only "These Are the Voyages" was considered worse (I don't like the episode either, especially as ENT finale, but it is an "okish" episode if you consider it a special TNG episode).

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/10-worst-episodes-of-star-trek/

And I agree, the first TNG season was in most parts awefull. I have no idea how the show could make it into a second season to eventually become one of the best Star Trek shows.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    @[SJ] Admiral Aki
    Yes, the people are supposed to be enlightened, but that doesn’t mean they are perfect. To be enlightened is to have a rational, modern, or well-informed outlook. While that does mean that they are open-minded, it doesn’t mean that they don’t have their own opinions. People always want a scapegoat, and Michael was the perfect candidate.
  • Options
    I'm digging Discovery, thought I wouldn't but I do Season 1 and 2. Now off subject Ozark now there is a show you just get disgusted watching but have to see it through to see what happens at the end. :-)
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    CBS has put S2 episode 1 up on YouTube for free viewing (probably geo-restricted to the US) in case that's of use to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvMqRrtmkY